Code of Conduct

Default Vol de Nuit Current Formulation

I've read much about Vol de Nuit's vintage formulation, but it's hard to come by. As the house of Guerlain has grabbed my attention, I'm interested in knowing if the current VdN is a good one to try on. What say the VdN lovers?

Default Re: Vol de Nuit Current Formulation

It's still one of the most beautiful and magnificent fragrances I've ever smelled. I own a bottle of the current as well as 3 mL of the vintage - the vintage has an herbaceous quality that I assume to be oakmoss (a very uninformed assumption on my part) which raises its head in the midnotes, but it in no what whatsoever makes the vintage superior to the current.

Luca Turin wasn't happy of the edt, but he did not review the parfum. I have not smelled the reformulation.

cacio

Blog Entries

It sounds like the parfum should be a safe bet. The Paris boutique would be my recommendation.

Forget the current EdT (it's not good, no real structure) and both, new and vintage, had no longevity. Vol de Nuit has changed several times over the past, let's say 15 years. In the old days it featured a prominent costus note, which was replaced and rendered the extrait less animalic. Today's version (I have 2011 extrait) is fabulous with a wonderful jonquil heart note. The very latest batches are reported to be more animalic again (reminding people of Jicky in the opening). I so hope to be able to smell it soon. Vol de Nuit is a very unique fragrance and hasn't changed dramatically over time.

Larimar:

thanks for the info. I had avoided vdn because of the edt, but this makes me want to get the extrait. Except that the Jicky extrait was so short lived on me...

cacio

I haven't smelled any vintage but the perfume extract is sublime.

for swap/sale:

There was a short-lived thread about this very issue not too long ago. I cannot not remember exactly when, but I'd guess it was in the last 2-3 months. And, as Larimar says the jonquil shines through. I've not smelled the current formulation, but other posters like hedonistindicate that the extrait is lovely. I love VdN and look forward to obtaining a bottle of the new extrait. That is, when I can afford another splurge.
    Last edited by Curly11; 14th January 2014 at 03:57 PM.

My wife let me buy a bottle last year when I did a good job (what a good boy!!!) on our taxes.

It seems like it's hard to find. I went to the Paris boutique and they have no prices or shopping carts, only wish lists. Luckily, a kind BNer offered to help me with a purchase from over there, but without knowing the price, it's hard to plan for it. Anyone know the cost of a bottle of the extrait?

The website says 280EUR for 30ml in the beautiful traditional bottle. VdN is actually one of the few cases where the bottle is cute enough to warrant making sure one gets it.

I actually thought it would be more expensive, but probably the price is very nonlinear (ie a 15ml costs not much less than the 30ml).

In theory, one can order any Guerlain from a counter (eg at Saks or the like), but I have found the SA there quite uninformed on what's available (except at Bergdorf Goodman, at least in the past). Also, I doubt they'd know the vintage of what comes in.

cacio

How did you get prices Cacio? Mine has no numbers at all, save for the size of the bottle. Now I feel deprived. LOL, thanks sir!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    My wife let me buy a bottle last year when I did a good job (what a good boy!!!) on our taxes.
    Saving receipts is a pain- but the rewards can be great! Good for you.

danieq

from the French website:
    http://www.guerlain.com/fr/fr-fr/par...extrait-flacon

cacio

evidently the US version doesn't offer pricing, how interesting. thanks cacio. I have the same exact thing, but without pricing here

http://www.guerlain.com/int/en-int/f...extract-bottle

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I haven't smelled any vintage but the perfume extract is sublime.
    I agree 100%. Once I figured out how to get it open (thanks for the help guys!) it did not disappoint.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    evidently the US version doesn't offer pricing, how interesting. thanks cacio. I have the same exact thing, but without pricing here

I guess they figure if you have to ask.... Too bad for you. You must not be in their demographic. Humph!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I guess they figure if you have to ask.... Too bad for you. You must not be in their demographic. Humph!
    You could be right, though many of their fragrances are on par with what's in the department stores. Who knows. I always find that annoying in Fine Dining establishments as well. But then, I live in a society that likes to think of everyone as equal.

Maybe in the US pricing differs from boutique to boutique or state to state? I don't think they're trying to exclude you

You could be right Sam. Certainly fragrance prices are all over the map for the very same fragrances.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Alright friends, I've received my vintage Vol de Nuit EdC in the Clock bottle. First impression is overwhelmingly one of a spice cabinet, the powder for warmth and that's it so far. I'm afraid that the top notes may have gone as I got none of them, no aldehydes or Iris that I can detect. I'm guessing that I do smell the oakmoss, but I've yet to really nail that note down firmly.

Not sure about the vintage, but the current is freaking amazing! Guerlain is definitely in my top 3 houses.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Blog Entries

Alright friends, I've received my vintage Vol de Nuit EdC in the Clock bottle. First impression is overwhelmingly one of a spice cabinet, the powder for warmth and that's it so far. I'm afraid that the top notes may have gone as I got none of them, no aldehydes or Iris that I can detect. I'm guessing that I do smell the oakmoss, but I've yet to really nail that note down firmly.
    Which bottle? Is it clear and round and flat or green and square? If it's EDC it may indeed be rather pale compared to the parfum.

The oakmoss is not so prominent in Vol de Nuit, so don't strain your nose looking for it! I've never smelled the EdC, but spices and powder sound right. In the vintage extrait the bitter galbanum is very present too.

Blog Entries

Yes, mainly I get a leathery sensation from VDN.

It is not the Parfum, it is the EdC in the clear, round, flat bottle.

Blog Entries

Oh, that's too bad. I've had some of those that just don't hold up. The top notes are too delicate, apparently. Also, the clear glass lets the light in :-(

I'm trying it again and it smells precisely like a spice cabinet. I am sorry to say that I think I got one that went off.

I have only the current parfum and have never used the EDT. I am not much for EDTs for the most part.

The parfum is wonderful!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

I am wearing VDN ​now and I just want to say, OMG! What a beauty! This is the parfum extrait from a couple of years ago. We've got major bergamot or galbanum or both up front and narcissus in the middle. Not sure what else but it just envelopes you in a heavy chypre/leather cloud- but there's an amber/oriental aspect, too. Well, I'm firmly in the fan club.

queen of the universe

I find a similarity to Weil de Weil, my sole VdN experience being a decant whose concentration I can't recall. WdW certainly has galbanum and jonquil, finishes with leather and civet, whereas I found VdN to soft-land right on the Guerlinade. Has anyone else sniffed both?
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!