Code of Conduct

Default Lorenzo Villoresi

Hello everybody does anybody have or know about this house fragances, Thanks to all.

Default Re: Lorenzo Villoresi

I think Luca Turin's assessment of these fragrances is about right... although I do quite like their Patchouli.

Hello Musky can you tell the link to read about Luca Turin on these fragances, Thaks.

I actually had a look at his book "Perfumes: The A to Z guide"... I am unsure if his reviews are available online.
    I'm sure a more knowledgeable Basenoter will know the answer to this.

A well-regarded perfumer with some excellent scents. More here:

http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi.../?house=100542

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    A well-regarded perfumer with some excellent scents. More here:

http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi.../?house=100542
    Quite right.

The best way to tell is to draw your own conclusions about the line and sample it if you can. I went to Les Senteurs in London and have been a fan of their Sandalo ever since. They do have many other gems of course...

His scents tend to have less development over time than the better designer scents [this is an oversimplification, but useful], but they do seem to be made with very good ingredients. Sandalo is particularly good.

Piper Nigrum, Yerbamate, Uomo and Teint de Neige (for women only!) to mention a few are all excellent to say the least!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Have only tried Uomo, but like it a lot. A lovely herbal fragrance, in a fairly traditional style, though not sure about the lasting power.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

Sound Scents

I generally like their stuff with these four my favorites:

Piper Nigrum
    Spezie
    Yerbamate
    Musk
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I like his style very much.

Vetiver, Sandalo, Uomo and the majority of his original collection is excellent.

The newer stuff not so much.

for swap/sale:

I really like Uomo, on the fence with Sandalo but really dislike Piper Nigrum.

I liked Uomo as well and Piper Nigrum just seemed bland. Spezie was probably the first scent that I've tried (and liked) with a tomato plant note. Also, Musk also seemed aromatic.

I own and enjoy Incensi (use it frequently, very ineteresting twist on that note), Vetiver (brutal!) and Musk (soft but with a very clear sandalwood note in the drydown). Got rid of the Patchouli - smells too linear and cough medicine like. Eager to buy Uomo - loooved it in the store.

If I remember correctly, Luca Turin's opinion of Villoresi fragrances was that they are amateurish, often disorganized in the top notes, lacking uniformity of composition, and have weak development. They aren't "through-composed" in the sense of classical French perfumes, meaning that every phase is well constructed and leads seamlessly to the next. They are a bit clunky and rustic in comparison with classic perfumes.

I pretty much agree with him, looking at the fragrances objectively.

But Villoresi is one of my favorite houses. The fragrances tend to be on the resinous side with sappy, greenish hearts, which makes the masculines especially appealing. I don't find them to be elegant or pretty or even complex fragrances in general, but I do find them satisfying. There is a no-nonsense feel about them, no pretensions, rather a straightforward honesty.

i agree with the other posters. Try them and make up your own mind.

He was my first favorite perfumer and I still wear several of his fragrances - Piper Nigrum, Vetiver, and Yerbamate probably being my favorites. I agree that the more recent offerings from his house are not is good as his older stuff, although I haven't sampled the most recent one.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    If I remember correctly, Luca Turin's opinion of Villoresi fragrances was that they are amateurish, often disorganized in the top notes, lacking uniformity of composition, and have weak development. They aren't "through-composed" in the sense of classical French perfumes, meaning that every phase is well constructed and leads seamlessly to the next. They are a bit clunky and rustic in comparison with classic perfumes.

But Villoresi is one of my favorite houses. The fragrances tend to be on the resinous side with sappy, greenish hearts, which makes the masculines especially appealing. I don't find them to be elegant or pretty or even complex fragrances in general, but I do find them satisfying. There is a no-nonsense feel about them, no pretensions, rather a straightforward honesty.

I agree with you that LT's point is quite a strong one. Development is poor in Sandalo and although the opening is fresh and vibrant, I can't make out the notes between them. They are quite 'cloudy' and I can't tell them clearly apart. I've only ever owned one Italian perfume aside from Villoresi and that's AdP, so I am not the best person to comment on whether this is to do with Italian vs. French perfumery.

Nonetheless, I do enjoy Sandalo for what it is. It could be stronger in the development and especially the dry down could be more pronounced, but it is what it is and the whole concept of sandalwood is captured quite well in this creation.

Theseus, Piper Nigrum ....

Have tried, Vetiver, Uomo, Piper Nigrum, Sandalo and a few others.

(3018)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Why not just go to the directory here and read some reviews then search amongst the various Threads? Lots of info available.

I own. Lorenzo V Uomo and is pretty good . Fresh elegant .

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post

Luca Turin seems to have a very favorable bias towards classical French perfumes (Guerlain) and a favorable bias towards perfumes that were developed by perfumers who come from the same industry background as he does. Villoresi, Creed, LeLabo and other houses really have two strikes against them from the start due to his very normal bias. I think it is best to form your own conclusions. I thought Turin actually gave Uomo a positive nod, but can't remember it.

Villoresi fragrances all follow a traditional type sensibility but he uses unusual combinations of notes and ingredients. I have always really liked Villoresi fragrances. A couple are a bit too powdery and clumsy in this way (Musk . Yerbamate,. Tente de Neige ) All are creative composiitons. Piper Nigrum is an example of very unusual use of pepper that is bracing and pleasing in the top notes, but the drydown is very traditionally pleasant. Vetiver is very dry and unusual, which keeps it at arms length for many, but I like it a lot. It does smell like you've been digging for night crawlers as someone else mentioned on another thread. Villoresi Patchouli is one of the finer patchouli fragrances around and it never goes to a traditional sweet base like so many other patchouli scents do which is why I like it so much. The best all around is Uomo which has a comforting green incensey vetiver base.

Alamut is my fav, has anyone tried the EDP verson??

Yes Alamut edp is very good.
    I liked the fluency of the edt but the edp had body.

for swap/sale:

My favorite is Yerbamate.
    I also liked Patchouli, but I find it very similar to lartizan Patchouli Patch, and
    I prefer tte latter.

BTW, who cares about this so called" seamless transition"
    through the notes pyramid?
    Your nose is the only judge

LV Vetiver should be centerpiece, or at the very least reference point , in any true vetiver fan's collection. This is one of the most visceral and sensually moving experiences to be had with vetiver. Sine Pari.

Incensi on the other hand was no better than stale potpourri leftover from a lot sale.
    Chic is all about humor. Which means chic is about intelligence. And there has to be oddness-- most luxury is conformist, and chic cannot be. Chic must be polite and not incommode others, but within that it can be as weird as it wants.” - LT