Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rive Gauche Pour Homme - Gets the Darndest Reactions.

So it was going to be over 40 degrees Celsius today, and it was off to the beach. I put on 8 sprays of Rive Gauche PH in order to have something fresh on me for the car trip.

At the beach I meet two female acquaintances. One started sniffing me continually, saying it was the best male scent she'd ever smelled.
    The other did the same and said "If I was your wife and you were wearing that, I'd be jumping all over you".

They both wanted to know what it was called and where to buy it.

After an hour of this I decided it was the wisest course to go into the water and rub it off.

Funny thing is - I've never been particularly fond of Rive Gauche PH.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Default Re: Rive Gauche Pour Homme - Gets the Darndest Reactions.

no wonder! enjoy!

Next time try one spray

You mean to say in other words that you got called "that cologne smelling guy"

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Next time try one spray
    Lol. Saw that coming!

Next time try one spray
    Can you imagine what would have happened had my wife decided to come down and saw them both smelling that one spot!!!!
    Cheers,
    Renato

Which 'spot' you spray on?

Some fragrances should come with a stick to beat them off.

Was this the new one or the vintage as the latter gives me all day longevity with just one spray. Eight sprays - aaahhhhhhh run for your life!

Wife couldn't stand the current formulation of RG so I have kept away from it, and that's with one spritz...

Still not managed to get hold of the original though

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Was this the new one or the vintage as the latter gives me all day longevity with just one spray. Eight sprays - aaahhhhhhh run for your life!
    I bought it about a year after it came out.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by iMac View Post
    Which 'spot' you spray on?
    I don't know - I've never sprayed on one spot other than for testing.
    But I wouldn't like to be seen with two women smelling one spot on my chest, say.
    Much better that I be enveloped with an aura (but the sea breeze kept blowing my aura everywhere).
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    You mean to say in other words that you got called "that cologne smelling guy"
    One of those women has criticized me strongly in the past - she said that if I was going to wear a scent, I should really WEAR IT - and not do the half hearted effort I was wearing that day. I was wearing 8 sprays of Green Irish Tweed when she said this.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    One of those women has criticized me strongly in the past - she said that if I was going to wear a scent, I should really WEAR IT - and not do the half hearted effort I was wearing that day. I was wearing 8 sprays of Green Irish Tweed when she said this.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    You sure they weren't having some fun with you by making you bathe in the stuff so that they could then have a good laugh?

I haven't personally allowed things to get this bad with perfume-jokers (what else could I call them???), but almost did!!

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    You sure they weren't having some fun with you by making you bathe in the stuff so that they could then have a good laugh?

I haven't personally allowed things to get this bad with perfume-jokers (what else could I call them???), but almost did!!
    One's a connoisseur, a real scent enthusiast - she wear's them loud. She even wears men's ones.
    Cheers,
    Renato

was it the old rive gauche (the tall tin bottle) or the new one (cubic bottle) ?

I love Rive Gauche PH, but I wouldn't dare put on more than 2 sprays of it, especially in the 40C/100F weather(!)

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    I love Rive Gauche PH, but I wouldn't dare put on more than 2 sprays of it, especially in the 40C/100F weather(!)
    Agreed. RGPH is a favorite of mine, although I don't care for it in hot or even warm weather. I appreciate it much more in cooler temps. Even then 2-3 sprays is perfect. Can't imagine 8 sprays of my bottle in *any* climate or situation.

Quote Originally Posted by rüssel View Post
    some fragrances should come with a stick to beat them off.
    lol!

(3016)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

That's the power of Rive Gauche

Don't know, but the RG i have is kinda weak. Some of my spanish friends feel the same way about it... so sad...
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha! I'm wearing Rive Gauche today! I want half the reaction you had!

Quote Originally Posted by joov84 View Post
    was it the old rive gauche (the tall tin bottle) or the new one (cubic bottle) ?
    It was the one in the tin bottle. They were getting rid of it dirt cheap down here, so I actually have a backup tin bottle - which I was pondering why I bought it, but after today it may become a prized possession.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I think you are doing a strong disservice to all the women around you by only wearing 2 sprays!

Actually, I usually only wear 6 sprays of anyy scent, but was worried it might conk out in the heat.
    I need not have worried - it is now 15 hours later, and my shirt is still putting out reasonable strength Rive Gauche. And it's 3am and the temperature outside which had dropped to 30C, has just risen to 33C.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    That's the power of Rive Gauche
    I know that other have posted similar things about Rive Gauche and its effects - but I didn't believe them till today.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Don't know, but the RG i have is kinda weak. Some of my spanish friends feel the same way about it... so sad...
    Do you have the tin bottle or the glass one? I have the older tin bottle, and don't really find it that strong - I have heaps of stronger scents.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    Ha! I'm wearing Rive Gauche today! I want half the reaction you had!
    And how many sprays are you wearing?

Don't forget though - it's cold where you are, and Rive Gauche is very fresh. I'd be wearing thick non-fresh scents for that sort of weather.
    On the other hand, it's a good experiment to see if it works well in cool weather.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Great fragrance indeed, almost irrespective of the reactions (that may well be a pleasant bonus just the same).

There's an old RG thread stating it was reformulated once -- and that version is weaker and released in 100 ml tin cans only, which is the reason why I bought a 50 ml to ensure I get the original formulation.

There's an old RG thread stating it was reformulated once -- and that version is weaker and released in 100 ml tin cans only, which is the reason why I bought a 50 ml to ensure I get the original formulation.
    Interesting thanks. That means my back-up bottle may not be as potent as my first. I'll have to go find it and do a comparison.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Mine was too. Swapped it away.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Interesting thanks. That means my back-up bottle may not be as potent as my first. I'll have to go find it and do a comparison.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    As I mentioned before, I finished my 2003/2004 bottle of Rive Gauche and recently purchased another tin can bottle. I just wanted to mention this, because I know there's some hardcore Rive Gauche fans out there. But there's a way of differentiating between the older and newer tin can bottles by looking at the stamping on the back. Could be the aging process, but my older can smells a lot better and lasts longer in my opinion than the new can I just picked up.

Older Tin Can Bottles
    Yves Saint Laurent
    Parfums
    28/34, bd dy Parc
    92521 NEUILLY Cedex France
    PARIS - MADE IN FRANCE

Newer Tin Can Bottles
    Yves Saint Laurent
    B.R.I 92521 NEUILLY CEDEX
    MADE IN FRANCE
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/326...=1#post2866055

Basenotes Institution

Yep, it's definitely the Compliment Whore scent. I received wildly different reactions from women when I owned a bottle of the vintage juice.

Indie_Guy's thread about it where some woman bit him is a classic BN thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/169...and-got-BITTEN!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks, that explains everything. I have the vintage in my first bottle.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yep, it's definitely the Compliment Whore scent. I received wildly different reactions from women when I owned a bottle of the vintage juice.

Indie_Guy's thread about it where some woman bit him is a classic BN thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/169...and-got-BITTEN!
    You have an excellent memory to find that one. Thanks, a great read.

I guess my account and now Indie Guy's resurfaced account may raise the price of vintage Rive Gauche by at least $10 a bottle on Ebay.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I guess my account and now Indie Guy's resurfaced account may raise the price of vintage Rive Gauche by at least $10 a bottle on Ebay.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    RGPH (vintage) is my absolute all-time runaway #1 compliment whore scent.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I like it but prefer Prada Amber

So it was going to be over 40 degrees Celsius today, and it was off to the beach........................................
    Cheers,
    Renato
    They have beaches in Melbourne ? Really ? Where ?

i m glad you enjoyed 8 sprays,,i cant handle more than 2..
    and i m not sure it smells pleasant with 8 sprays on..vey nice,manly scent if applied ligtly..
    if i put too much on it reminds me of hair spray something..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    They have beaches in Melbourne ? Really ? Where ?

Port Phillip Bay - According to the Foxtel "Coast Australia" program, Melbourne is the capital city with the most amount of beaches for its population. And I live on the Mornington Peninsula - which is just one huge beach on both sides.

Though I have to drive for half an hour to get to the ocean beaches and freeze, or get carried away by some rip.

Another 40C+ day today. People seem to be staying away from the beaches for some silly reason - something about it being too hot. I was happily there for seven hours.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 16th January 2014 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nikthegreek View Post
    i m glad you enjoyed 8 sprays,,i cant handle more than 2..
    and i m not sure it smells pleasant with 8 sprays on..vey nice,manly scent if applied ligtly..
    if i put too much on it reminds me of hair spray something..
    With respect, you are missing the point.
    It doesn't matter how it smells to you with eight sprays, what is important is how it smells to women.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Institution

Cheers,
    Renato
    (giggle)

You're welcome

-- Jack Kerouac

Now I'm really puzzled.
    Firstly, the scent I used down the beach was the vintage stuff in the "Parfums" bottle.

A few days ago I came across the non- Parfums bottle on sale a local pharmacy, sprayed some on the back of my hand, and was most unimpressed - it smelled Eeek. I thought it disgusting compared to my vintage bottle. But unlike other comments above, it easily lasted more than 12 hours on the back of my hand.

Today, I finally located my back-up bottle, and much to my disappointment, found it was the non-Parfums bottle. Anyhow, I opened it up and sprayed some on the back of my hand. Curiously, it smelled fine. So i went and sprayed some from my original bottle on the back of my hand. They smell slightly different - the vintage is slightly crisper and fresher. But the non-vintage wasn't as sour as what I'd smelled in the shop a few days ago. Were there two reformulations?

Anyhow, plenty of hot days next week. I'll repeat the beach exercise with my non-vintage version.
    Regards,
    Renato

Managed to get myself a bottle in the tin. Going to check later to see which one it is.

Smells much more bearable than the newest formulation that I tried in France last year. Then again, I am only just discovering this scent.

I have never seen the brown tin cans of Rive Gauche before as the one I have is black and silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have never seen the brown tin cans of Rive Gauche before as the one I have is black and silver.
    I used to think that too but if you look closely, under a bright light you can see that the can is mostly dark brown, with some black and silver bands.

This one does not do it for me. Its funny because on multiple occasions ive gone to a store to try it on (to see if i can relate to the experiences i read here on BN), the sales person goes "it is not for you" or "its for old people". I personally make my own impressions so i insist on smelling it. I've tried it on a strip or paper, on skin etc. Its just not something i wish to smell like.

I used to think that too but if you look closely, under a bright light you can see that the can is mostly dark brown, with some black and silver bands.
    Mine is definitely brown and has the "Parfums" writing on it. It's a 75ml bottle if that makes a difference.

I gotta say Marais is right it is brown when you put the bottle under the light. But away from the light it looks jet black like some kind of optical illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    This one does not do it for me. Its funny because on multiple occasions ive gone to a store to try it on (to see if i can relate to the experiences i read here on BN), the sales person goes "it is not for you" or "its for old people". I personally make my own impressions so i insist on smelling it. I've tried it on a strip or paper, on skin etc. Its just not something i wish to smell like.
    I suspect that your view of Rive Gauche PH is the prevailing view among men judging from the astonishing speed with which It was released at over $100 in the department stores to when it wound up in the bargain bin of my local pharmacy where I snapped a big bottle up for A$30 a year later.

When i then wore it, I asked myself why I'd wasted my money - I really didn't like it much.
    But, one day I wore it out of idle curiosity when I visited my then girlfriend, now wife, who's instant reaction was "What are you wearing - that smells really, really good", something she rarely said as she'd gotten used to me wearing something different all the time.

I realised then, that there was something special about this scent, no matter that my nose was not that interested in it.

And thus, several years later, I spent another A$30 at the bargain section of another pharmacy buying a backup bottle before it disappeared forever.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 24th January 2014 at 12:07 AM.

Basenotes Institution

That's a very small detail that, when you think about it, is a very Tom-Ford-sort-of styling. Many of TF's elements are black/brown. And Tom Ford was @ YSL when Rive Gauche Pour Homme was released, so it makes perfect sense.

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    That's a very small detail that, when you think about it, is a very Tom-Ford-sort-of styling. Many of TF's elements are black/brown. And Tom Ford was @ YSL when Rive Gauche Pour Homme was released, so it makes perfect sense.
    Fascinating!

I too was thinking of Indie Guy's story of getting bit and looked it up to relive the old days. Funny this thread pops up. A good one for sure. I've been out for years but have been afraid to order the juice in the cube.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I too was thinking of Indie Guy's story of getting bit and looked it up to relive the old days. Funny this thread pops up. A good one for sure. I've been out for years but have been afraid to order the juice in the cube.
    LOL!

Me too! Absolutely!

Sad news I'm afraid.

Today I wore 8 sprays of Rive Gauche reformulated to the beach. Same two women were there.

One eventually asked what I was wearing, and thought it very good. The other didn't notice it.

My advice to those who have the vintage version - use it wisely, do not waste it.

Regards,
    Renato

It is in fact a shame that I never tried Rive Gauche ph. As far as I understand it's supposed to be quite similar to Azzaro Pour Homme? Regardless, I gotta sample it one day :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    It is in fact a shame that I never tried Rive Gauche ph. As far as I understand it's supposed to be quite similar to Azzaro Pour Homme? Regardless, I gotta sample it one day :P
    To my nose, the only thing they have in common is that I've never been particularly fond of either of them.

Hmmm - I might wear Azzaro PH to the beach tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Today I just bought my back up bottle of the tin can RGPH, and am REALLY happy!
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

Women tend to love this ... one time a coworker wouldn't stop raving about it. She said it smells like a wonderful "powder"..

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    Today I just bought my back up bottle of the tin can RGPH, and am REALLY happy!
    Well done.
    Regards,
    Renato