Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Rive Gauche Pour Homme - Gets the Darndest Reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    Women tend to love this ... one time a coworker wouldn't stop raving about it. She said it smells like a wonderful "powder"..
    I guess the question that really puzzles me is - the effects of Rive gauche PH have been well reported here over the years.

Why wasn't it the huge selling 1Million of its day?
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 13th April 2014 at 04:47 PM.

I just bought 3 tin cans for $90 US total.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty Coppersmith View Post
    Wise move - congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have never seen the brown tin cans of Rive Gauche before as the one I have is black and silver.
    mine too
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

The tin can I purchased off a fellow basenoter is the brown and silver and black version. Looks exactly like the pic below- it's a very dark brown. The lot code indicates March 2004 manufacture according to checkcosmetic.

I'm hoping someone can clarify something for me. Is the 4.2oz tin bottle considered "vintage"?

Man, my friends do not like this one at all. Word has gotten around at school that I have quite a collection and so i invited a few of my closer friends to check it out. They loved Cool Water and TDH, but when they got around to Rive Gauche, they were like, "Oh, it smells like Old Spice. Or my grandpa. Not in a bad way..." Hey, I like it a lot and they don't hate it so win win!

Blog Entries

My 4.2oz tin can, which has the "Parfums" on the back, also looks black if I simply look without examining it. But when I take a picture with the flash on, the can turns to color brown.

I'm more of a fan of non-vintage (tin can) because it seems a bit brighter with added freshness. It doesn't last as long as the vintage, but it projects just as well on my skin. Rive Gauche Intense is a good one to pick up if you can't find the vintage bottle. Intense has a more pronounced opening and has a silky dark smoothness to it.

I'm still baffled by anyone spraying 6-10 times with ANY fragrance. I feel like I'm overdoing it with 3-4 at times. Some fragrances I dare to spray twice. I just don't want people to run out of the room because of me. In this case, 6-10 sprays and you'd run people off of the beach.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

My tin can doesn't have "Parfums" on the back.

Rive Gauche ph is easily oversprayed. I noticed that while i had a time when i used this. I guess one developes olfactory fatique easily to this scent. A great scent that is, smells wonderful.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by UKisGR8 View Post
    In this case, 6-10 sprays and you'd run people off of the beach.
    There is your theoretical expectation that people would run away, and
    There is my actual result, day after day - people do not run away, and in this case the exact opposite happened.

You are welcome to prove your expectation or to disprove my result.
    Just do it - spray 6 to 10 sprays, and see what happens.

Surely, curiosity alone will now drive you to performing this experiment over say a week?
    Cheers,
    Renato.
    Last edited by Renato; 14th April 2014 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    Man, my friends do not like this one at all. Word has gotten around at school that I have quite a collection and so i invited a few of my closer friends to check it out. They loved Cool Water and TDH, but when they got around to Rive Gauche, they were like, "Oh, it smells like Old Spice. Or my grandpa. Not in a bad way..." Hey, I like it a lot and they don't hate it so win win!
    You haven't told us the gender of your friends.

I know that I certainly was underwhelmed when I first smelled it, and only bought it when it was cheap to add to my YSL collection.

Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    You haven't told us the gender of your friends.

I know that I certainly was underwhelmed when I first smelled it, and only bought it when it was cheap to add to my YSL collection.

Regards,
    Renato
    2 were male and 3 were female. We are in our early-mid 20's. They were trying to be polite but I knew they didn't really appreciate it like I do. I don't necessarily wear fragrances for others but I try to not to offend anyone so I think Rive Gauche passes the test. Musc Ravegeur, based on their reaction upon spraying on a card, on the other hand...

I can smell you over seas, Renato!
    But hey, whatever works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty Coppersmith View Post
    Well done. Don't forget to spray liberally.
    Regards,
    Renato

P.S. I just noticed this was my 11,000th official post.
    Last edited by Renato; 14th April 2014 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    2 were male and 3 were female. We are in our early-mid 20's. They were trying to be polite but I knew they didn't really appreciate it like I do. I don't necessarily wear fragrances for others but I try to not to offend anyone so I think Rive Gauche passes the test. Musc Ravegeur, based on their reaction upon spraying on a card, on the other hand...
    Thanks. Well, as you are wearing it, the next step is to see how the females respond to your wearing it loudly - make sure you have six sprays on next time you're with them. That'll determine whether younger women aren't interested in it. You may have to switch to my nephew's favourite with the girls - Paris Hilton For Men.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Probably one of my wife's very favorite scents on me. All time good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by nKelly95 View Post
    I can smell you over seas, Renato!
    But hey, whatever works for you!
    Well, basically I am determined - determined that no other guy wearing Brut, Old Spice or Lynx underarm antisperspirant is going to outdo me in the scent output stakes. And that won't happen with less than six sprays of EDT.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I use to own this, until I swapped it for something else. I got it because it was inexpensive, and it had great reviews, but to be quite honest, I never grew to love it. But I'm glad it seems to work on some of y'all!
    Current Favorites

1. Amouage Reflection Man
    2. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Divine L'Homme Sage
    4. By Killian Back to Black
    5. Amouage Interlude
    6. Hermssence Ambre Narguil (2004)
    7. By Killian Rose Oud
    8. Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
    9. Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme
    10.Creed Royal Water

ImageBeauty has it very cheap (4.2oz less than $38 shipped). The price went up on Amazon & FragranceNet has been out of stock for a while, so that's where I ordered mine.

I wouldn't say that I love the scent itself, but it is very effective. It projects well, and it gives off that masculine "I just shaved" feel. To me, I wear this for the ladies, not for myself. Great overall fragrance though.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    To me, I wear this for the ladies, not for myself. Great overall fragrance though.
    That's the sort of attitude I like to hear.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

I wore two sprays to an Easter party. I got all sorts of compliments from the women there. I never get compliments as I wear 1-2 sprays max. I was taken aback to hear all this feedback. I believe y'all now - RG PH has a special attraction.

I've never had any reactions like this when I wore it, but perhaps I will wear it tomorrow and see what happens!

What about the new version in the refresher smaller sized bottle ? Is it still good when compared to the vintage

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    I wore two sprays to an Easter party. I got all sorts of compliments from the women there. I never get compliments as I wear 1-2 sprays max. I was taken aback to hear all this feedback. I believe y'all now - RG PH has a special attraction.
    Now - you'll be wondering for a long time what would have happened if you'd really worn - with at least six sprays.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    I've never had any reactions like this when I wore it, but perhaps I will wear it tomorrow and see what happens!
    It'll be interesting to see how it works in your neck of the woods.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by blackheart2925 View Post
    What about the new version in the refresher smaller sized bottle ? Is it still good when compared to the vintage
    Highly unlikely.
    That mob that regulates fragrance ingredients I think is determined to lower the birth rates around the world.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Now - you'll be wondering for a long time what would have happened if you'd really worn - with at least six sprays.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    I'm not sure my wife would be too pleased with results of that experiment :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are doing a strong disservice to all the women around you by only wearing 2 sprays!

Actually, I usually only wear 6 sprays of anyy scent, but was worried it might conk out in the heat.
    I need not have worried - it is now 15 hours later, and my shirt is still putting out reasonable strength Rive Gauche. And it's 3am and the temperature outside which had dropped to 30C, has just risen to 33C.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    For hotter weather, I wear RGph Light and RGph Intense for cold weather and just RGph for everything in-between.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

Highly unlikely.
    That mob that regulates fragrance ingredients I think is determined to lower the birth rates around the world.
    (giggle)
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

It'll be interesting to see how it works in your neck of the woods.
    Regards,
    Renato
    On a whim, I decided to wear it tonight. We went out for dinner and drinks with my wife, mother-in-law, and my wife's aunt. My mother-in-law is sensitive to fragrance, but she didn't seem to have any problems with my fragrance. My wife's aunt, on the other hand, mentioned several times that I smelled "very nice" and that I smelled "like a force to be reckoned with" (but it could have been the bottle of Pino Grigio talking). My wife commented that she forgot how much she liked this cologne. I guess Rive Gauche is still a crowd pleaser!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    On a whim, I decided to wear it tonight. We went out for dinner and drinks with my wife, mother-in-law, and my wife's aunt. My mother-in-law is sensitive to fragrance, but she didn't seem to have any problems with my fragrance. My wife's aunt, on the other hand, mentioned several times that I smelled "very nice" and that I smelled "like a force to be reckoned with" (but it could have been the bottle of Pino Grigio talking). My wife commented that she forgot how much she liked this cologne. I guess Rive Gauche is still a crowd pleaser!
    Thanks. Clearly it has something going for it.
    Now, for the next step - wearing it loud to mundane places like work, shops etc (though I'm pretty sure you don't have beaches in Arizona).

I'm getting quite nostalgic reading this thread. When I started it we were in the middle of an over 40C heatwave that lasted four days. At that time of the year, it's good being five minutes drive from the beach. But the weather has really turned now, and today's maximum is going to be 13C, coupled with a strong wind coming off the beach which makes things seem even colder. The last scent I'll be wearing now is something fresh like Rive Gauche PH .
    Cheers,
    Renato

Just finished my first bottle of this. It was a 75ml and got through it in under two months. Luckily I have two 125ml bottles remaining

Basenotes Plus

I was actually thinking about giving this stuff away. I never wear this.

But you guys are making it sound like this is some sort of magical, mojo juice. Okay, okay, I'll give it a test drive today or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Just finished my first bottle of this. It was a 75ml and got through it in under two months. Luckily I have two 125ml bottles remaining
    Consider rationing your remainder out.
    It may be like antibiotics, and females may become immune to it.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by 601red View Post
    I was actually thinking about giving this stuff away. I never wear this.

But you guys are making it sound like this is some sort of magical, mojo juice. Okay, okay, I'll give it a test drive today or tomorrow.
    I do understand what you mean because, as I've said several times here and elsewhere, I was never that fond of this scent.
    But I doubt I'll ever get rid of it now.
    Regards,
    Renato