Code of Conduct

Default How much money do you spend on perfume a month?

How many bottles of perfume do you have now?
    Adding:
    If a person has his own style he doesn't need to have dozens of fragrances. I smelled a lot of scents but I have two favorite perfume and I don't need another, even for free. It's not normal to have so many different scents. It's just an addiction.
    Last edited by TokyobyKenzo; 14th January 2014 at 08:45 PM.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How much money do you spend on perfume a month?

Now I have about 60 bottles and some decants or samples.

I can not tell you how much money I spend on perfume per month, sometime I did not buy any scents for ages & sometime I bought 4 - 5 bottles of niche perfumes in one months.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

It's very subjective, as there are months of dormancy and months of compulsiveness and trigger happiness compulsiveness....but at the Acme , I would say about 800€....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

a great deal!!!

A lot.

(3015)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

recently spending a lot. Go sniffing every weekend looking for new stuff.

Sometimes spend more than others. Too much spending lately though for sure.

Have about 35-40 bottles.

300+ & counting (wardrobe's officially out of space)...

Looking to amp up my vintage collection much more than newb's / recent designer / niche releases. Also finally coming to a conclusion that 100ml bottles "is" going to be too much for me - unless they are EDC's. Now, am I going to stop buying 100ml's - no decision taken on that yet.

No real budget per month - few months with none spent, then a few months with too much spent. On a yearly basis, I would think last 2 yrs were easily the maximum I spent (approx 3000 per yr), partly because of BN. However, every purchase made on BN recommendations have been nothing short of excellent.

This yr i don't think I will touch the last 2 yrs spending levels, mainly bcoz I'm going after vintages for the most part & trying to BN marketplace much more.

Over 100 bottles. A lot of samples. The amount varies.

Depends. If my wife is reading this, then "just a couple of pennies every now and then".

Otherwise the real answer would be "my life savings".

Nothing at the moment (doing well!) but anything up to £2K a month at times.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

Depends on whether I am reading basenotes or not. If not, I spend almost nothing. If I am...

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    Depends on whether I am reading basenotes or not. If not, I spend almost nothing. If I am...
    Same here brotha

Around 2k USD

Mostly selling lately. Around 150 bottles.

It varies really.

Some months I'll pick up a bottle or two of something I'd been meaning to procure.

for swap/sale:

I spend around $160 per month on cologne (this month spiked with my find of Creed Royal Water at Marshall's). I own close to 30 bottles. I also sell 3-4 bottles per month bringing in around $90 clear for those. My whole wardrobe is spelled out in my "seasonal split" thread. I also have another 6 bottles or so sitting in the "about to be sold" batting circle on my dresser. Now what will those funds be used for...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Plus 1!

On an average, between a few tens and a few hundreds (at the equivalent current exchange rates of USD, GBP, EUR), rarely approaching the thousand threshold and only regarding the months of fragrance purchases.

In 2013 I spent a net $938 on 22 bottles, bringing my entire wardrobe to slightly over 200 (I think). Works out to about $78 a month. A couple of those were gifts, and I avoid paying retail at all costs.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

140 bottles, many samples. I've vowed to buy only samples "for awhile". I haven't defined " for awhile".

Quote Originally Posted by Oproust View Post
    140 bottles, many samples. I've vowed to buy only samples "for awhile". I haven't defined " for awhile".
    Samples should be all you need. Especially when you have so much you can't use up full bottles anyways. If you're always rotating (daily) then you could strictly buy larger samples of everything and each would last you a while.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    A lot.

(3015)
    lol ^

Some months nothing. Some lots lol.

So far in January I've spent $685 apparently

But I feel content now lol.

Don't ask this ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I spend around $160 per month on cologne (this month spiked with my find of Creed Royal Water at Marshall's). I own close to 30 bottles. I also sell 3-4 bottles per month bringing in around $90 clear for those. My whole wardrobe is spelled out in my "seasonal split" thread. I also have another 6 bottles or so sitting in the "about to be sold" batting circle on my dresser. Now what will those funds be used for...
    I get the feeling my expenditures are small potatoes.

Blog Entries

I used to spend a lot of money on clothes and music and I don't know what else. But now I listen to my favorite songs all the time and my closet is full. (I dress like Johnny Cash) so, this is all I buy. That's how I justify it, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Depends. If my wife is reading this, then "just a couple of pennies every now and then".

Otherwise the real answer would be "my life savings".
    LOL! Exactly what I would say. I came home with a bottle of Terre D'Hermes and Body Kouros and my girlfriend said, are those new? And I said, no I just left them in my car. hahaha
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

Why So Serious?

Based on the past year, roughly $300 a month, so I shelled out over $3.5k last year. This year will change, I will mostly buy samples, there are just endless to test and not enough time to finish any of my bottles.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    Based on the past year, roughly $300 a month, so I shelled out over $3.5k last year. This year will change, I will mostly buy samples, there are just endless to test and not enough time to finish any of my bottles.
    What a terrifying thought. I've never actually counted it up, before.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I used to spend a lot of money on clothes and music and I don't know what else. But now I listen to my favorite songs all the time and my closet is full. (I dress like Johnny Cash) so, this is all I buy. That's how I justify it, anyway.
    I gave up golf due to a bad back, so this is my main hobby. When I consider what I spent on golf (rounds, clothing, equipment, balls, magazines, books) PLUS I still had cologne as another hobby, cologne by itself just ain't that bad. That's how I justify it!

I didn't get a Masters Degree and work the last 18 years as a CEO so I could put away ALL my money for retirement. I work and I went to school so I could enjoy a nice standard of living NOW and LATER!

Plus my wife is an enabler...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    Nothing at the moment (doing well!) but anything up to £2K a month at times.
    Damn! That's crazy. How can anyone spend that much a month on cologne?

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Yep. I'm small time compared to these players. And I thought my $160 a month was a lot!

I currently own 15 large bottles (though its becoming increasingly difficult to not exceed that self-imposed limit). Amount I spend varies. In one month I've purchased as much as 8-9 new bottles. Others... 0.

On average between $100-200 is pretty fair to say. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Oh yeah, and I have a little over 100 bottles right now.

Just getting back into it. Bought 18 bottles, at least close to 40-45 samples. This last month or so close to $1000 on bottles, close to $350 on samples. I'm just about close to not getting anymore samples or definitely not that much more. Will buy bottles of the samples I do like though, lol

Well, I've been doing this for a while, so I own quite a few bottles. (I'd estimate about 200, but I really don't know.) In the past couple of years, I've slowed down a bit since I have so many and am now pretty hard to impress. I'd say I now spend about $100 - $125 a month on fragrances. I don't count sample purchases because those usually just save me money in the long run.

Basenotes Plus

Some months it can be as high as 3k, some months it's zero

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It varies really.

Some months I'll pick up a bottle or two of something I'd been meaning to procure.
    I agree with hedonist. I go months without buying and then find something I like and buy several bottles.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

a lot of money

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Easily done when some of the bottles I was buying were £300+. I also got into vintage hunting, which was a pricey affair!
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

I've cut back significantly, I am probably down to under 100 a month. That usually includes buying at least 2 bottles, sometimes more if they are cheapies. While at the same time.. after having bought so many cheapies that I never wore, I ended up swapping or selling or even giving away (and having a hard time doing so, at that) I try to avoid them, because they're often times, just that.. cheap, or even more so.. redundant. I keep my wardrobe and wishlist pretty up to date. My wishlist is getting smaller and smaller as I am knocking off the ones I really want slowly. Eventually, I would hope to stop buying.. there was a time when I was spending hundreds a month. But ya know.. as a collector, as long as they keep making them, I'll keep buying them.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I was going hog wild for the previous 2 years. I have set a limit (goal) to keep it a $250 / month this year. I have about 15 things on my "to get" list, so if I can be disciplined, and only get 1 or 2 things a month, I just might be able to stick to that. Unless the new Creeds are as good as I am afraid they will be - then the plan may be scrapped.

I have so many things - full bottles and samples - that I only wear many of my favorites one or two times per year, and many things I have only ever worn once. So, by forcing myself to cut back on new acquisitions, I will get to know what I already have a little better.

I spend a lot on sampling. I want to know what's out there and hopefully discover a couple gems per year. A typical year I'll sample 200 frags, and truthfully I'm lucky if 10 intrigue me enough to want a whole bottle.

I normally buy big hauls quatarly i.e 10 bottles+
    I tend to spend around $4k each quarter.
    So that brings it to 1k a month in average

WOW to many of these posts.

I have around 40 bottles plus some splits and decants, and I worry that I don't get enough chance to wear everything enough, so if I want to buy something new I balance it out by getting rid of something I already have. Average for my collection is probably $40 to $50, so I would say I have less than $2K tied up in it. "Every so often" I will make a purchase, usually one or two bottles for $50 to $100 total, maybe half a dozen times a year. So I guess that averages around $50 per month.

At least I'm not as demented as I thought, comparatively speaking.

Something to keep in mind. Collecting perfume doesn't mean wearing perfume. It's like collecting stamps or coins; you don't use the stamp to mail your credit card bill and you don't use the coin at the vending machine. Collecting and wearing can be two different things. I wear much of what I collect, but by no means all. That's not the point of building my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Yep. I'm small time compared to these players. And I thought my $160 a month was a lot!
    And I'm small time compared to you

This month has been a heavy spending month for me and I've spent £35 on 3 bottles of vintage fragrance. Next month I'm going to push the boat out and actually buy a bottle of perfume from the perfume house (because I can't find anywhere else to pick it up discounted) and that will be €50, so that's more than a month's spending allowance all in one go.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Quote Originally Posted by Oproust View Post
    Something to keep in mind. Collecting perfume doesn't mean wearing perfume. It's like collecting stamps or coins; you don't use the stamp to mail your credit card bill and you don't use the coin at the vending machine. Collecting and wearing can be two different things. I wear much of what I collect, but by no means all. That's not the point of building my collection.
    Hmm, this is a very different mindset to me. I just can't imagine collecting fragrances not to wear. It's your money and your right though, to each his own.

It's sad. You have an addiction...

Or just a harmless hobby...

Quote Originally Posted by TokyobyKenzo View Post
    It's sad. You have an addiction...
    Oh, come on now...

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Or just a harmless hobby...
    That's a very pleasant way of thinking of it.

(3056)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TokyobyKenzo View Post
    How many bottles of perfume do you have now?
    Adding:
    If a person has his own style he doesn't need to have dozens of fragrances. I smelled a lot of scents but I have two favorite perfume and I don't need another, even for free. It's not normal to have so many different scents. It's just an addiction.
    Only 2 perfumes? That's ok but it doesn't have anything to do with a "personal style". It sounds more like you don't want to try anything else. Which is fine. What do you mean" not normal"? I know a man who only eats beef. Very little else. He won't eat eggs or pancakes either. Nor salad. Some bread and potatoes. But that's about it. I can't imagine going through life that way. To me that's "not normal".

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    That's a very pleasant way of thinking of it.

(3056)
    I can think of far worse pastimes

On average, $100

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    On average between $100-200 is pretty fair to say. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
    Me too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

$200 so far this month..
    I will try to keep it at 1 FB per month and decants/samples

This thread has been noce to use as a measuring stick, but what is normal is not really relative. If I collected stamps or baseball cards or china dolls. There would be no "normal" amount of $ that would be "normal" for monthly spending on my hobby. That is all relative to how much money one makes and how much one is comfortable spending on a hobby, or luxury items. Whatever you want to call it. I just quit smoking, again. So I may now have some extra money available fo increase my spending. I used to spend $$2500 a year in cigs. That is absurd. At least my fragrance spending wont kill me. And if definately makes me smell better.