Code of Conduct

Question Borneo vs Ore vs Coromandel

high quality chocolate... your thoughts and which one do you prefer?
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 12, by quartets:
    1. Zafar, Onda, Tuba, Reve en Cuir
    5. Coromandel, Ex-Idolo 33, Bois D'Encens, Dia Man
    9. Ore, Montecristo, Danger Homme, Derby

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Default Re: Borneo vs Ore vs Coromandel

Ore is the best chocolate fragrance I ever smelled so far.

i don't only mean the chocolate note though... i find borneo more artistic, with the solid patchouli note, while ore leans a little too gourmand for me. never tried coromandel
    Last edited by mspa; 14th January 2014 at 10:00 PM.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 12, by quartets:
    1. Zafar, Onda, Tuba, Reve en Cuir
    5. Coromandel, Ex-Idolo 33, Bois D'Encens, Dia Man
    9. Ore, Montecristo, Danger Homme, Derby

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

I like all 3, but Ore wins this by a long shot.

Borneo for me although I also enjoy Coromandel.

(3030)
    Last edited by hednic; 14th January 2014 at 10:13 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

If I could only have one among the three, I would choose Coromandel.

Borneo (earthy patch / bitter choco) > Ore (bitter dark choco) > Coromandel (lighter patch / milk choco)
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Basenotes Junkie

Not a fan too big of a fan of Coromandel, I like Borneo ok, but Ore I love!! Fantastic use of chocolate that remains throughout the frag as it blends with some quite intense woods. I don't think of Ore as gourmand...unless I like dipping a stick in some chocolate and chewing on it...I feel the chocolate note is used in such a different way here that really makes this one unique!!

Basenotes Junkie

L-O-V-E Coromandel, enjoy Borneo a lot. Unfortunately haven't gotten an opportunity to try Ore yet. It'd be a tall order to top Coromandel though...

Ore is unwearable IMO.

1. Ore (really strong cocoa note, just amazing. Some say it has a strange note to it though, I don't see it, just chocolaty goodness without being a Hershey Bar)
    2. Borneo (One person told me it smelled like freshly baked cookies which I kind of get. Not as strong of a cocoa note as ore in here, but still nice)
    3. Coromandel (I am not the biggest fan of this one)

Coromandel drys down to the tastiest white chocolate on me. A little sweet. Lasts forever and projects like a champ. One spray if I wear to work.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Ore is the best chocolate fragrance I ever smelled so far.
    Same here & I own all 3. Both Borneo & Coromandel are nice cocoa + pathouli combos. Ore, though, is on a different level to me...

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    i don't only mean the chocolate note though... i find borneo more artistic, with the solid patchouli note, while ore leans a little too gourmand for me. never tried coromandel
    I am not the best nose around, but Ore isn't a gourmand to my nose & I detest sweet chocolate type scents (like montale chocolate greedy).

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Same here & I own all 3. Both Borneo & Coromandel are nice cocoa + pathouli combos. Ore, though, is on a different level to me...
    + 1
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

I don't get chocolate in Coromandel. I do get Patchouli.

Another really good cocao is L`Heure Defendue VII by Cartier.

for swap/sale:

To be fair I have not smelled the other two, but I do very much enjoy Ore in both its forms. The original esprit is more chocolate with guaiac wood, whereas the new one is different to my nose.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    To be fair I have not smelled the other two, but I do very much enjoy Ore in both its forms. The original esprit is more chocolate with guaiac wood, whereas the new one is different to my nose.
    How is the old Ore compared to the new one? I got the new one, though I respect the art but don't like it on me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I don't get chocolate in Coromandel. I do get Patchouli.

Another really good cocao is L`Heure Defendue VII by Cartier.
    I get patchouli too but it isnt center stage through the entire fragrance. About 5-6 hours in is when I start getting this smooth, creamy white chocolate shining through. It is listed in one of the notes as well. Maybe just difference in sense of smell.

My coworker doesnt like patchouli, but she like coromandel today. She actually said she got more patchouli from the Poivre Samarcande I wore in the afternoon. Kinda weird to me but

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    L-O-V-E Coromandel, enjoy Borneo a lot. Unfortunately haven't gotten an opportunity to try Ore yet. It'd be a tall order to top Coromandel though...
    Concur with this. I think Ore is too bitter.

On the other hand, I like the "chocolate" note in Montale's Red Aoud. It's not officially in the notes, but it is most certainly there.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I own both Ore (in EDP, and the extrait is on its way) and Coromandel, with Borneo's strong patchouli turning me off a bit.

Ore EDP > Coromandel > Borneo.

I need to spend more time with the Ore extrait (I've only got a dab sample) before deciding where it slots in, but it'll either be second or third on the list - it's still better than Borneo, which is a very good scent in its own right.

I prefer Borneo to the other two. Ore is yet another outlandish Slumberhouse scent that gets on my nerves after 10 minutes.

Coromandel is one of my favorite scents. As previously stated by another poster, I don't think of it as having a chocolate quality.

Ore by a long shot for me. But to be honest, it's not a genre I enjoy and I quite dislike Borneo and can only tolerate Coromandel.

Even though Ore is the best I've tried in the genre, you might want to visit Perfumerie Generale and take a sniff of Coze.

Borneo to me!

I prefer Borneo, but enjoy all three. My Holy Grail chocolate is Body Made Luminous from Scent by Alexis. Also, the new release Sorriso by Profumum is very good and belongs in this group.

Borneo and Coromandel are similar but also different at some point. Chanel is more rich and, well... "Chanel", if you get what I mean. Borneo is more earthy, spicy and straightforward. Also regarding longevity, on skin Coromandel lasts at least twice than Borneo.

If you're asking which actually smells like high quality chocolate, I'd go with Coromandel. More specifically, it is rich white chocolate...patch/florals create this to my nose. Ore is more straight up cocoa in the raw form with woods...kinda get the picture that a can of cocoa is spilled on a huge wood oak table that occupies a very old cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    If you're asking which actually smells like high quality chocolate, I'd go with Coromandel. More specifically, it is rich white chocolate...patch/florals create this to my nose. Ore is more straight up cocoa in the raw form with woods...kinda get the picture that a can of cocoa is spilled on a huge wood oak table that occupies a very old cabin.
    Thank you for your post. I get rich/sweet white chocolate with Coromandel too...and a couple above said they dont get any chocolate from it...but to my nose its unmistakably rich white chocolate. Glad someone agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    How is the old Ore compared to the new one? I got the new one, though I respect the art but don't like it on me at all.
    I'd say they are mostly different scents. The old one is much stronger off the initial spray (like all of the esprits in my experience). It is more focused on the cacao note that is essentially not sweet at all, and the incorporation of the guaiac wood is a little more to my taste. The newer one has that almost "dark coconut" vibe that I get on occasion, and is smoother than the esprit. It is kind of hard to describe the difference, but I'd easily be able to tell if you blindfolded me. Like I said, they are close to being two different scents altogether.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I'd say they are mostly different scents. The old one is much stronger off the initial spray (like all of the esprits in my experience). It is more focused on the cacao note that is essentially not sweet at all, and the incorporation of the guaiac wood is a little more to my taste. The newer one has that almost "dark coconut" vibe that I get on occasion, and is smoother than the esprit. It is kind of hard to describe the difference, but I'd easily be able to tell if you blindfolded me. Like I said, they are close to being two different scents altogether.
    Thank you.

I also do not get chocolate in Coromandel, only patchouli and the Chanel floral trinity. But I don't consider white chocolate to be chocolate at all, but cocoa butter. It is not the same smell. I will have to consider cocoa butter next time I smell Coromandel and see if I find it.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    I also do not get chocolate in Coromandel, only patchouli and the Chanel floral trinity. But I don't consider white chocolate to be chocolate at all, but cocoa butter. It is not the same smell. I will have to consider cocoa butter next time I smell Coromandel and see if I find it.
    That's exactly it. I can understand the comparisons to white chocolate a little, but it's possible that those have more to do with Luca/Tania's review of Coromandel than anything else. White chocolate isn't chocolate, though.

I just sampled Ore for the first time yesterday, too. While I liked the descriptions of it as a balance between edible and non-edible, and tried to see it that way, all I kept getting was fake chocolate - like a chocolate-scented candle or plastic toy. Chocolate-scented but inedible.

Borneo smells like cocoa to me, but it's quite unsweetened and raw. I think it's wearable because it doesn't smell foody. I love both it and Coromandel, but for different moods. Coromandel is for when I want to feel dressed up and classy (hard to do!). And I prefer Borneo in the summer.