Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Cuir Beluga: Opinions please!

Hi! I'm new here but I would love to hear all your informed opinions!

I'm considering buying Cuir Beluga by Guerlain, L' Art et La Matiere collection and I have spent some time reading reviews and other posts. I read several descriptions of the perfume and I'm a bit confused. Some described it as melted vanilla ice cream others mention a strong powder scent. I really like sweet scents and vanilla but I do not want to smell like baby powder or powder in general.
    I have several perfumes, Serge Lutens, Tom Ford, L' artisan but I think that I like my Guerlains the most. I have Spiritueuse Double Vanille, which I adore and Tonka Imperial, which I really like. Those two are probably my favorite perfumes in my collection. I would like to expand my collection and given my love for the L' art et La Matiere perfumes so far, I think I would like to buy one more from this line and from descriptions I've read I believe that Cuir Beluga might be closer to my likings as long as it is does not smell like powder. Unfortunately, where I reside currently I don't have the opportunity to try the perfume, so it will be a blind buy. Therefore, I would really appreciate your input. Thanks!

Default Re: Guerlain Cuir Beluga: Opinions please!

Tonka Imperiale and SDV seem to get all the attention, but imo, Cuir Beluga is much better than both. I do remember it having a slight powderiness so your best bet would be to order a sample online.

Cuir Beluga is a wonderful scent - a nice sweet and creamy leather with a nice vanilla touch at the end. I personally get no powder vibe.

(3034)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hednic's take on CB matches mine. It's a very well done scent with leather and vanilla as the starring notes. Nor do I find it powdery.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Hednic's take on CB matches mine. It's a very well done scent with leather and vanilla as the starring notes. Nor do I find it powdery.
    My thoughts are the same as the above 2, however, I didnt't get more than 5-6 hrs longevity, but I tested only from a sample.

I am a big fan.

It ranks right up there with SDV and TI. I do find it powdery, but not in a bad way. It is sweet and seems classy when I wear it. It's not a loud scent. It's worth having IMO.

Basenotes Institution

I do not find this scent very leather prominent. Nor did I like it as much as those two other Guerlain's you already own.

I say sample it first.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Tonka Imperiale and SDV seem to get all the attention, but imo, Cuir Beluga is much better than both. I do remember it having a slight powderiness so your best bet would be to order a sample online.
    100%

Cuir Beluga blows the others in the line way out of the water.

There's a hint of citrus matched with creamy white leather.

It's an awesome comfort scent, but I couldn't find an occasion to wear this one so I had to sell it.

I own it but I would not recommend buying a bottle without having worn it a few times. It's a plush suede anchored by quite a sweet riff on the Guerlinade that leans towards the mimosa or heliotrope aspects and there is also a strain of immortelle that runs thru it for a while (that I am not mad on, frankly).

If you like SDV and TI then you may well like CB but I suggest you try to get a sample first, and maybe give Mon Precieux Nectar and Oriental Brulant a shot while you're at it - these are both interesting and not a million miles away from the ones you already have in terms of density and sweetness.

Is there a translation of 'Beluga' besides the name of the whale? Is this really called 'Beluga Leather?'

I had always thought the reference was to beluga caviar, which comes from a sturgeon, not a whale. I could be wrong.

Someone on fragrantica said it came from the Russian 'byeluga' which means 'white'.

I am interested in trying Cuir Beluga after reading this thread.

I don't get any powder. It's an extremely smooth leather and vanilla. If you like SDV then you will probably like this one. I would get a sample first though, just to make sure.

Light on the cuir (leather) but a good cashmere vanilla. Lacks definition but probably sells well. Guerlain makes a lot better fragrances than Cuir Beluga, Spiritueuse Double Vanille, Tonka Imperiale, Bois d'Armenie, etc. All pretty simple and boring by Guerlain standards. Cuir Beluga does smell pretty good though. Smelling its sillage is the best way to get an idea. Astringent vanilla with a little smoke, a few drops of green distantly related to something like Chypre Palatin.
    Last edited by pluran; 16th January 2014 at 07:10 AM.

I don't find the citrus to go particularly well with suede/powdery smell. The quality is there and judging on notes alone it seemed like this would be to my liking, turns out it wasn't. The whole time it just didn't feel [I]right[I], the combo seemed odd and I got very little leather, like others have mentioned.

I do think I need to revisit this one in the future as theres something telling me to go back to it, who knows, maybe down the road and I'll be able to appreciate it.

great scent!

Fluffy vanilla leather...smells like a million bucks.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    Someone on fragrantica said it came from the Russian 'byeluga' which means 'white'.
    That's interesting, since the Beluga whale is white.

(I always wondered what the name of the perfume had to do with whales, too!)

Blog Entries

I had a sample of this. I honestly couldn't smell anything.

Thank you all for your input! From what I' ve read I believe that I will probably like Cuir Beluga. I do have another question though. Since I already own SDV and TI, do you think that I could justify buying CB or is it too similar to the other two? And for those of you who own all three of them, SDV/ TI/ CB, which one do you like best and why? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by herbert. View Post
    Thank you all for your input! From what I' ve read I believe that I will probably like Cuir Beluga. I do have another question though. Since I already own SDV and TI, do you think that I could justify buying CB or is it too similar to the other two? And for those of you who own all three of them, SDV/ TI/ CB, which one do you like best and why? Thank you!
    I don't own TI but do own SDV; SDV strikes me as more of a "vanilla-issimo" scent (and since I love vanilla, I really enjoy it). CB is a nice blend of leather and vanilla; I think Guerlain did a very fine job of making that blend work. Guerlain's noses have always seemed to have a real knack for creating scents with vanilla (e.g., Shalimar, among the earliest examples).

It's different enough to own alongside the other two. My personal favourite of the three would be Tonka Imperiale. The SDV was actually a gift from Guerlain, I wouldn't have bought it. Well, so was TI when it was launched but I would definitely buy a bottle when the lab sample bottles I have run out.

I own both Cuir Beluga and SDV but prefer Cuir Beluga by far.It's much better blended imo.