Code of Conduct

Default Valentines Gift For Girlfriend

I'm looking for the right fragrances for my girlfriend for valentines day. Obviously if she doesn't like them she can return them, but I want to get it right with the first purchase! She isn't really in to fragrances as much as me, but she is definitely in the market for some new perfumes.

To give you an idea what she is like, she is 19 and is very playful. She is nice to everyone and so very easy to talk to. She dresses very well (hair always done, makeup, no sweats or just hoodies over jeans). She definitely is very outgoing!

As far as her perfume taste goes, she only owns Prada Candy L'eau and she wears it very well. She liked the Viva La Juicy Noir, but I've read there are some performance issues with it. With those in mind, I would say she likes the sweet scents but not too overbearing. The ones at Macys that I liked were Flowerbomb, YSL Manifesto and Chanel Madameoiselle (parfum version, even though it's citrus).

Are any of the ones Iisted good for an outgoing 19 year old girl? I do plan to get her two perfumes, so bring on all the recommendations you can! Thank you for any and all help
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

Default Re: Valentines Gift For Girlfriend

Hi expressway & welcome!
    Mitsouko is always a nice one

Shalimar might be a good choice.

I second Shalimar, classic vanillic oriental. If you want something a little more assertive, the reissued Calyx (now at Clinique counters) is a nice rose-guava-fruits.

When mentioning sweetness, I cannot help but thinking about serge lutens (jeux de peau, feminite de bois, etc), but we're here in expensive niche territory.

cacio

Shalimar is wonderful but can take some acclimatizing, so perhaps one of its flankers, which are pretty rather than stately: Eau de Shalimar or Shalimar Parfum Initial?

Blog Entries

l respectfully disagree that Mitsouko would be enjoyed by a 19-year old who likes sweet scents.

From your list, l would go for Coco Mademoiselle.

Shalimar Parfum lnitial is a good suggestion, too.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Every girl loves a boxed perfume set. Give her a set of body wash, cologne and a body lotion. During Valentine's day, you can buy some pre-made gift box of perfumes.

By the way It is always essential to her how much you love her. Don't ever go on through a day without her understanding that you really love her. Not only on Valentine's day, but you should let her experience that she is loved daily.
    Find your favourite fragrance from "harveyprince" without a second thought!

I'm thinking about going with Coco Mademoiselle EdP and Taylor Swift Wonderstruck (Original). She's 19 and enjoys wonderstruck. I'm having such difficulty finding her a second perfume for every day wear! Maybe Jimmy Choo? She also liked the initial spray of Lucky Darling. Has anyone tried that fragrance?
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

Basenotes Plus

I have not tried Lucky Darling so I can't comment on that, but from your list I would recommend Coco Mademoiselle first. It would be a great choice for a 19 year old. Jimmy Choo or Flowerbomb would also be good. Shalimar Parfum Initial, recommended by Teardrop is also a favorite of mine you should try that one too. Also, Elie Saab is another good option.

Quote Originally Posted by expressway View Post
    To give you an idea what she is like, she is 19 and is very playful.
    Contact details please

Quote Originally Posted by harveyprince1 View Post
    Every girl loves a boxed perfume set. Give her a set of body wash, cologne and a body lotion. During Valentine's day, you can buy some pre-made gift box of perfumes.
    Great idea, but be sure it doesn't backfire on you. Some people may take it the wrong way - receiving a gift of a body wash might make them think you believe they don't wash or don't smell good, so my advice is only do this if you have very good rapport with her.

Agree with Coco Mademoiselle. Since she likes Prada Candy L'Eau, another one that might be a step up in designer fragrance, and that's also widely available at department stores or even online discounters, is Dior Addict.

For an everyday, I think Britney Spears Fantasy is superior to Wonderstuck. Fantasy is quite a nice fragrance, actually, and a bit more grown-up/less girly than Wonderstruck. Also, for a sweet, vanilla-based everyday scent, Aquolina Pink Sugar is a good bet.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 28th January 2014 at 02:26 PM.

Thank you EK! We are actually about to run to the store and I will be sure that she tries on Fantasy. I know they are somewhat similar, with Fantasy being held higher in regards to performance and overall scent. I appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Shalimar is wonderful but can take some acclimatizing, so perhaps one of its flankers, which are pretty rather than stately: Eau de Shalimar or Shalimar Parfum Initial?
    I respectfully disagree: Shalimar doesn't require training wheels.

Another option might be Insolence Eau de Parfum. Warm violet with woody dry down.

We tried Vince Camuto for women today and we both really enjoyed it! I was shocked that it was being sold for such a reasonable price. Anyone ever try this perfume? What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l respectfully disagree that Mitsouko would be enjoyed by a 19-year old who likes sweet scents.

From your list, l would go for Coco Mademoiselle.

Shalimar Parfum lnitial is a good suggestion, too.
    I totally agree with this and the sugesstion that Shalimar would need some adaption- I quite enjoy sweet scents on certain days and while I love Shalimar and Mitsuko I wouldn't think of them as fragranes for a young woman of 19. I'd also recommend Hanae Mori to the list however- it's a nice sweet floral and it's to overbearing I'd group Shalimar Initial (a less in your face oriental compared with the original) or Coco Madmoiselle- I started off on these and they are great options.

I brought home a sample of Viva La Juicy La Fleur. Good or bad choice?

If she liked Noir, which is the original + more berries and minus praline, she'll probably like La Fleur, which is the original, watered down with flowers. I'm a 19 year old girl who loves sweet but not overbearing scents and I prefer the original Viva La Juicy out of those three. I suggest D&G The One Desire and Dior Hypnotic Poison, which are both sweet but not overly candied.