Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question What have been some of your favorite blind buys and why? What made you take the risk?

What are some of your favorite surprise buys? What made you do it and why are you so glad you did it?

I have found a few favorite fragrances this way. Although I've certainly made some costly mistakes along the way. Blind buying is kind of like Perfume Poker. It's not for the faint of heart and you have to be willing to go all in.

One of my favorites was early on- I found an obscure internet site that seemed to have a supply of Jean Patous. These were the re releases from the 1980s but they were very good perfumes. One that sounded promising because it was the first one of the series was called 'Invitation' . I tried to find the notes but there was nothing on "Perfume Intelligence" and no reviews, either. I bought it completely blind hoping it was good because it was legendary. I think I read that it had oak moss. It turned out to be a beautiful oak moss, golden-type floral chypre. Exactly the sort of fragrance I adore. It's now one of my absolute favorites.

I have a few more finds, too. What about you. Any fond memories?

BTW- I bought 2 bottles (of Invitation) and some of the Patous I bought even came with silk scarves!
    Last edited by kumquat; 15th January 2014 at 10:10 PM.

Default Re: What have been some of your favorite blind buys and why? What made you take the risk?

Geranium pour Monsieur by Malle. I took the risk because it was on sale on eBay at 50 EUR

Default Re: What have been some of your favorite blind buys and why? What made you take the risk?

Since almost all my purchases are blind buys - just way too many to mention, but a group that comes to find fairly recently were the Parfums de Marly quartet from the Arabian Series of scents. Just wonderful. Once again as collector of only certain lines, I never view it personally as a risk.

(3054)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

For 2013, I would say Bentley for Men Intense.

My first and only blind buy to date was Encre Noire and I've no regrets.

Dior Addict - I like spicy vanilla and the reviews sounded good. Also, the price was right on FragranceNet.

I bought Knize Ten blind. I'm a woman and wanted a leather fragrance, read some reviews that said it was a floral, spicy, woody leather, all notes that I know I like, Plus it's been around for nearly a hundred years so I figured I could always resell it if I hated it. I don't. It's perfect for me.

I also bought Creed Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie after reading about it in ScentFan's jasmine sniff-fest. I like jasmine and the price was right, so why not? It's a little sweet on me but certainly wearable though it hasn't dethroned Sarrasins as my favorite jasmin.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Dolcelisir and Meharees because of great reviews

m7 cause the hype was sooooo strong... I was not impressed

After (almost) a lifetime of enslavement to perfume, one gets a sense of what might work out, even buying blind. About 7/8 of the time, it's on target. The mistakes are pretty easy to absorb, for me, anyhow. They find their proper homes as gifts, even if it takes a little while to find their adoptive parents. With the "so-so's" I'm generous about making decants for interested friends, and the bottle doesn't moither in my possession for too long.

Bergamotto Marino by Ferre was my best blind buy - and so lucky it was, since we're talking over 6 oz here!

Aire Loewe was another good one - I know I'll buy another bottle of this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bravacosta View Post
    m7 cause the hype was sooooo strong... I was not impressed
    Best blind buys? There is another thread for worst blind buys.

Way too many to mention, but one I was rather chuffed about was Extreme Oud By Kilian. Bargain price and brand new Interesting to note that it wasn't as extreme as I expected, very different but still lovely.

Reason I took the risk was it's hard to find and price was way below rrp.
    Last edited by bigbloke; 14th March 2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Added risk reason
    What I'd like to try

Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian B2B, Incense Oud, Pure Oud/MFK Pluriel/Ensar Oud/AgarAura Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Need some Roja help: Need a Roja cap, any one (gave away my Fetish cap)
    Also my Harrods Oud bottle needs a cap
    Muchas gracias

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Geranium pour Monsieur by Malle. I took the risk because it was on sale on eBay at 50 EUR
    Great deal... This may have been one of my favorite blind buys as well.

Basenotes Plus

About 99% of the bottles/decants I own have been from blind purchases. I feel like sampling wastes time. I always feel I could be using the money I'm spending sampling, on a decant of something fantastic. If I feel the need to purchase a type of fragrance, I search the basenotes forums for suggestions, look up the notes and reviews, and go from there. I no longer purchase FB of anything because I have never even come close to using up any one bottle. Lately I have been really depending on blind buys because I am trying to get decants of fragrances that I will probably never be able to procure or sample. The latest blind buy that blew me away was Royal Oud. Got an 80% full bottle for $65 bucks!
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Sayyyyyy whaaaaa???

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    The latest blind buy that blew me away was Royal Oud. Got an 80% full bottle for $65 bucks!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Sayyyyyy whaaaaa???
    Indeed my friend. Right here on the fabulous basenote's Marketplace about 8 months ago. Been one of my favorites ever since.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

I found Roccobarocco Fashion Man by searching basenotes directory for notes I thought I would like. Since i couldn't find any samples, I bought it blind and it turned out to be a very nice vanilla scent. I don't regret it and I will probably buy another when I run out.

I guess it depends on who's defining blind and how they do so. For me is simply not getting a nose on it first and going straight up full bottle, sample free.

So with that in mind, all of my buys have been blind to this point except for one, Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Homme.

These have been great blind buys...

Jacques Bogart Story Blue
    Roger & Gallet Open
    Ferrari Extreme
    Ferrari Silver Essence
    Azzaro Visit
    Lalique Encre Noire
    L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme
    L'Eau Bleue d'Issey PH
    L'Eau d'Issey PH Intense
    Aigner Blue Emotion
    Dior Aqua Fahrenheit
    Burberry Touch
    Animale Animale
    Jacques Evard Thallium

I've enjoyed a couple others, but none stood up to performance requirements...

Alfred Sung Homme
    Jesus Del Pozo Quasar
    Jacques Bogart Silver Scent & Intense
    Nikos Sculpture PH
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 14th March 2014 at 04:51 AM.

Two I just received today and immediately fell in love with...

Antonio Banderas for men
    The Iceberg Fragrance for men

Talk about underrated, especially Iceberg, holy shizkoffenhoozer. Simply to die for!

Blog Entries

Interesting. I've always wondered about 'Iceberg'. Can you elaborate? What kind of scent would you say it is? Aquatic, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Interesting. I've always wondered about 'Iceberg'. Can you elaborate? What kind of scent would you say it is? Aquatic, or what?
    No definitely not aquatic. Woody aromatic. It has this amazing pencil shavings undertone to it, think that's the rose and sage. The vanilla is a constant but subdued and unsweetened. The overtone is a hearty Cedar, earthy even. Truly fantastic. Can't go much into details as far as performance is concerned, yet, but am very hopeful and excited!

Blog Entries

Good description! Thank-you.

I have been very lucky with all my blind buys over the years. I read every review I can find for the perfume I am interested, check the notes then I dither for a while. Then have a think and another dither but deciding to jump or not.

Cuir de Lancome
    Heeley Nuit de Iris
    Huitieme Art Naviris,
    Lolita Lempicka
    Terry de Gunzburg Ombre Mercure
    Miller Harris Terre d'Iris.

There are others the above stand out in my head.
    DONNA

My biggest single jump would have been Amouage Homage for USD 300 in 2009. It was clear it would never show up here and somehow ordering a bit of paper seemed silly at the time so I just went for it. But was it truly 'blind' considering the couple of reviews I'd read? Anyway - it remains a transcendental beauty that I am extremely happy to have taken that gamble on.

There have been odd little ones - a single vintage bottle hidden away in a tiny shop, no tester etc. but even these I had read about - Insensé, some Guerlains.

I enjoy the odd flutter - why not?

Great deals on vintage formulations of various powerhouse classics (by the likes of Smalto, the first male fragrance by Versace etc.) were, so far, not just my most rewarding but also some of my most affordable blind buys.

The risk, while well worth it, may have originated from the retailer alone (delivery, pricing, authenticity etc.), since otherwise fragrances like these are hardly a gamble for me, since I know that I will enjoy most or all of them even if previously untested.

my only blind buy till date is pure havane and i like it

Blog Entries

My favorite blind buys over the last few years:

Envy for Men by Gucci
    L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme by Guerlain
    Rochas Man by Rochas

Basenotes Member

Vanille Molinard was very very nice. I don't like to blind buy, but this was so cheap, and how bad can a vanilla really be?

Bogart Pour Homme was my first blind buy and I love it! Basenotes made me buy it...

CDG - Synthetic series - Skai.

Discontinued and hard to find. However, reading the reviews and concept I couldn't not have it in my collection.

A successful blind buy for sure!

queen of the universe

I've meade two memorable blind buys. Balahé by Leonard was a "where has this been all my life?" blind buy, as was vintage Chamade. A combination of notes and reviews, I'd say. Mauboussin was a less successful blind buy. It's lovely, but just not me. I don't long for it, yet I'm holding onto it so far. Maybe it will grow on me.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Junkie

LDDM. figured it would be good, but it is fantastic. reviews and notes sounded right, so went for it.

We'll see how By Killiam Rose oud is as I just went blind on it on a big trade. I love incense oud (one of my favorite 3, depending on my mood) so hoping it is just as good.

rick