Code of Conduct

Default Mixing fragrances - is it a no-no?

I've read numerous articles over the years that says that you should never, ever mix scents. Reading some of the perfume reviews here, however, it seems that some people have, with good results. I'm very new to all of this, so what I'd like to know is how do you go about it? Do you mix perfumes with similar top/middle/base notes, or go completely opposite? Or is it simply a matter of preference? I love perfume and enjoy finding out about how the different scents of top, middle and base notes all combine to make something beautiful. I love trying new scents to add to my "stable" of perfumes - I normally have at least 12 bottles on the go at any one time. I wanted to try to find out what draws me to certain perfumes, so I created a small database of all of the perfumes I have (or have had, or that I've tried and liked), and broken them each up into top, middle and base notes, and colour coded any notes that show up more than 3 times (i.e. pale pink for freesia, pale green for orris, purple for violet etc.). The base notes section is the most heavily coloured, with amber, sandalwood, vanilla and musk the main ones, followed by patchouli, vetiver and tonka bean.

Default Re: Mixing fragrances - is it a no-no?

Welcome!

I personally don't like to mix. If a perfume is good, I like to enjoy it as is, and if it's not good, it's hard to make it better by mixing. Perfumes are themselves mixes of many notes, so it's not that one can fine tune one note or another.

That said, there's nothing wrong in layering, so if you like it, why not? Edts and edps are usually constructed to give out a big blast in the top notes, so it will be hard to match tops - it will be cacophonous. But the top is transient and what you're left with is the base. Here perhaps there are more possibilities for mixing.

You can play around on paper, just spray two things on the same paperstrip and follow the evolution (remembering that on paper it takes much longer to get to the drydown).

cacio

Banned
    Blog Entries

Some houses are meant to mix.
    Private Blends by Tom Ford and the Dior Exclusif line

The Jo Malone line is designed for layering. There's a feature on their website that suggests various scent combinations. That might be a good place to start your exploration. Also, sometimes I wear a different, but compatible, scent on each wrist such as two vetivers or two sandalwoods, etc.

Same for Lutens!

I prefer to let trained perfumers do my mixing for me.

But if you have a couple of cheaper scents that just aren't doing it for you, and are feeling adventurous, by all means give it a go.

I would never do it. Also because if you have many fragrances, you would think: what if there is some better combination there? I would start trying hundreds of combination, always thinking *the next one* would be better!

Sometimes, I mix Ancient Resins (incense) with things but it's a subtle one so it blends in.
    It's nice with a rose attar.

Many people have gotten good results from mixing. I personally prefer not to though.

(3065)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I used to hate doing this, and as matter of fact still do! But , The only mix I've done occasionally for they're both MP IMHO are and will ever do is TL layered with Aventus...can you say ethereal and sublime in one sentence for that's what I get from this blend recommended to me by an acquaintance a while back....enjoy
    Last edited by magnus611; 16th January 2014 at 02:56 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I buy scents that I like, complete scents. Mixing for me is trying to improve on a scent that a professional has blended with care. Some companies mentioned encourage blending but the cynic in me thinks this is a marketing ploy to sell more. The only exception would be to add a note to a fragrance like adding a drop of oud to my skin. The new Dior like of single scent oils would be interesting but at $100 mL, I will not even try them. No, I do not blens or layer.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Personally, not for me.

I mix sometimes, you can get some nice mixes going on.

I've tried out of curiosity a while back Lalique Encre Noire with Dior Homme Cologne 2013. I must say the result was quite nice.

I've done it.
    I had about 5ml of Himalaya so I decanted into a 20ml atomiser.
    I also had two or three 2ml testers of Acqua di Parma (Colonia absolute and one of Oud concentree)
    I poured it all in together just to see, and to be honest, I wish I could remake it! I like it, and have had a few comments, asking what it is and where I got it.
    The Oud deffo comes through, but the others (Himalaya mainly) punch the top notes out there.

Bond No. 9 fragrances can be mixed... Armani Prive Fragrances can be mixed... When I mix or blend... I stick with one house or designer!!!