Code of Conduct

Default Church-like incense?

I have recently tried Heeley Cardinal, but I get a very strong synthetic vibe in it. It is super strong in the beginning, but then dies down after about an hour and still has a strange vibe in it.

What are some other good incense dominant fragrances that smell like a church?

Default Re: Church-like incense?

Montale- Full Incense or CDG Avignon.

There's a bunch of incense threads going right now, so you might be better off just searching through all the other threads on the subject.

I find the Heeley to be kind of crap as well, to be honest -- it's soapy on me.

For full-on liturgical incense:

Norma Kamali Incense is by far the most powerful and literal, but it's very hard to find now and you have to get it in a split.
    CdG's Incense Series covers a variety of different churches, with Avignon probably being the most representative.
    Sonoma Scent Studio's Full Incense is excellent, too.
    Jovoy's La Liturgie des Heurres is a solid liturgical scent, but a little on the ephemeral side. Same with Tom Daxon's Resin Sacra.

Tom Ford's Sahara Noir is a great frankincense scent, but it's less liturgical and more middle eastern.

There are lots of incense scents out there, but not all are liturgical. The Kamali is pretty much at the top of that game.
    Last edited by deadidol; 16th January 2014 at 08:52 AM.

Let me be the second to suggest Tom Ford's Sahara Noir. I was never much of an incense fan until this fragrance crossed my path. Can't speak to the church-y aspect since I was reared Lutheran, but give this a shot.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

CdG Avignon is High Mass in a bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Olibanum By profumum roma

Sahara noir
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I like Avignon but it doesn't last on me. Full Incense and Sahara Noir will both probably scratch your itch and have better longevity (imo of course).

Moved this over to "JSO" as this isn't just a men-only request thread -- ladies like liturgical incense, too
    Last edited by deadidol; 16th January 2014 at 08:47 AM.

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal. Some resin/balsamic notes too - like entering a chapel in the woods.

Liturgie by Jovoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Marinerd View Post
    Montale- Full Incense or CDG Avignon.
    Especially the second one, agree.

(3062)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

(3062)
    They smell 100% the same to me, I would go with Avignon since it's cheaper.

Norma Kamali is the most realistic approach to this thread but I also get this and then some as Katie Pourick blog states "that Jubilation XXV is a scent of Biblical proportions " as it has myrr, frankincense and the most notes in blend I've ever seen that works and so beautifully blended that it truly is inspiring of those epochs.....peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Exultat, Maria Candida Gentile
    "Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." -Mark Twain

Montale Full Incense.

CDG Avignon, I would have reccomended Full Incense but the current formulation sucks bad. In any case :

CDG Avignon
    Tom Ford Sahara Noir
    Michalef Shannan
    Profumum Arso , Olibanum has too much Myrhh IMO

So many good ones out there...check out the previous posts. Personally, I like the Heeley. I think it's a little brighter than the CdG, but I haven't tried the Montale. I frequently get compliments from Cardinal my every time I wear it.

Though incense isn't a note listed, Gucci Pour Homme I reminded me of church with the incense and wood.

Full Incense smells exactly like Avignon, not worth the extra money!

Avignon or Sahara Noir

Basenotes Member

Angel men always reminds me of a church(Greek Orthodox).

Basenotes Plus

Armani Prive Bois d'Encens
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

I forgot that i bought a sample of Full Incense about 1.5 years ago from luckyscent when i began exploring some of the more obscure Montales.
    Its like a church mouse compared to the Lion Avignon!

Oud wood gives me these vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
    This was the first scent that came to my mind as well. I cannot recommend this one enough.

It's cool those type of threads keep being revived because i love incense and my incense "collection" is always being refined as i discover more incense based fragrances.

The best incense i have smelled so far is Robert Piguet Casbah.

The only drawback about it (for me at least) is that it stays on the skin for a whopping 36 hours, even with showers, so if you plan on wearing a SOTD the next day you need to cancel the thought, or otherwise be forced with layering. I actually have Norma Kamali incense and this blows it out in terms of longevity​.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by cc1987 View Post
    Oud wood gives me these vibes.
    There is no incense in oud wood. Bond silver factory comes to mind as in incense based fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by rollzst View Post
    There is no incense in oud wood. Bond silver factory comes to mind as in incense based fragrance.
    Indeed, I was just going on the church bit. Then re-read and saw incense as a dominant feature. Montales full incense would be more apt but OW always reminds me of churches.

Quote Originally Posted by cc1987 View Post
    Indeed, I was just going on the church bit. Then re-read and saw incense as a dominant feature. Montales full incense would be more apt but OW always reminds me of churches.
    It actually does not have incense (as in the frankincense resin itself) but i can actually see how it might convey the smell of church to you or others around you.

I constantly get people telling me i smell like church incense (in a good way) everytime i wear 24 Gold even though it does not have incense in it.

Many fragrances (especially woodsy balsamic orientals) tend to convey the overall "vibe" of church incense without even having the resin itself as a note.

Avignon.

Avignon all the way.Reminds me of my alter boy days.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

(3062)
    John aka Easykiller

I have found it, the ultimate incense scent that makes every incense scent i own "humbled". It's called Olibanum by Parfums 137. This should definately be tested by every incense lover and it should also be added to the database here so basenoters can review it.

I have two 15 ml bottles (that's how the house sells them - in 15 ml coffrets) and i am going to order a coffret of three more 15 ml. That's how much i love it.

Top Notes: Pine, Freesia, Hawthorn
    Middle notes: Patchouli, Labdanum, Cloves
    Base notes: Olibanum, Myrrh, Siam benzoin

Here's my take on it:

Starts off right away with a blast of pine. Sharp yet edible leaning towards green as opposed to dry pine, sweetened with a large dose of freesia, supported by a thick backdrop of frankincense. This will greet you all at once upon the first spray.

As it starts to develop, the woody "warm" aspects start to slowly sneak in, with just a slight touch of cloves, patchouli and myrrh taming down the pine, while the sweetness of the flowers keeps pushing through the corners.

The drydown is where things go literally DIVINE: The pine suddenly loses its green sharpness and becomes "aged", the frankincense takes over and a delicious almost fruity blackberry-like subtle sweetness settles on top of everything. It's absolutely beautiful that drydown.

For fans of Jubilation 25 (for men), the drydown will definitely ring familiar bells here, but i actually like this much better.

The longevity is about 6-8 hours on my skin and the projection is average to "Don't worry i'm here"

P.S : Even though i mention pine a lot in my description but this first and foremost a Frankincense scent. The latter is there from start to finish. Actually, this is the first scent that has an olibanum note that smells exactly like the dry resin (sharp, almost lemony).
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 18th September 2014 at 04:09 PM.

House of Matriarch - Devotion

Quote Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
    My thought as we'll... I also like Bentley For Men Intense and CDG Kyoto!!!

CdG Avignon, as others have said

+1 for CdG Avignon as well.
    Current top 5:
    1) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    2) Imaginary Authors The Cobra and The Canary
    3) Guerlain Vetiver
    4) Parfums de Nicolai: New York
    5) A*Men: Pure Havane

SALES THREAD!
    SWAP THREAD

Hello Willanhanyard,

If you have the opportunity, try La Liturgie des Heures - Jovoy Paris angel2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    I like Avignon but it doesn't last on me. Full Incense and Sahara Noir will both probably scratch your itch and have better longevity (imo of course).
    Montale, Full Incense, IMO, is an amazing incense. The opening is like Avignon but Full Incense is sharper and deeper.

Creed's Royal Oud.

It smells like an old building in a cool nostalgic way.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal. Some resin/balsamic notes too - like entering a chapel in the woods.
    I second that, though for me I got less pine than others describe it when I was wearing it this week. EF was mostly incense, very church-like, but more like a cold and empty "gothic" church.
    Messe de Minuit by Etro (I could finally test it last month) was much lighter and had some fruit aspects which rendered the incense sweeter, the myrrh maybe? There is actually no incense in MdM, but you get the feeling of it.