Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Vetiver Tonka?

I have been through several wearing of my sample of Vetiver Tonka now and I am kind of undecided on what to think of it. I get a very smooth rounded vetiver all the way through, but not a lot of tonka bean. I get a bit of a hazelnut vibe in the opening, but almost nothing after that. I really want to like this one but I just don't know yet. What are your guys' opinions on Vetiver Tonka? Also, does it get compliments?

Default Re: Thoughts on Vetiver Tonka?

I get a slightly creamy & sweet nutty aroma that projects off my skin mixed in with the vetiver note whilst wearing this scent. There is a slight sour note that I'm picking up and the fragrance smells like nail polish remover to me that has been sweetened.

I'm not really liking this scent as the vetiver and Tonka sweet notes just do not seem to go together naturally. Projection and longevity are just average on my skin.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

It is rare that I dislike a vetiver fragrance, but this is one that falls into that category. The hazelnut and tonka make the composition *way* too sweet for my tastes. I personally get a lot of tonka (too much).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Personally like this one and find the tonka accord just right for my taste.

(3067)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

have to try this!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is great, and one of very few that I get compliments from. I get around 8 hours with average sillage. Vey rarely I also get the sour note - I guess it is skin chemistry so I suggest a lot of testing.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Love it as well. Toasted vetiver sweet nutty caramel and praline. Very clean scent to me. Last a long time on me too unlike most Jce compositions

Not my favorite vetiver, but a very solid one. In many ways it reminds me of Ramon Monegal - Umbra. However, after doing a side-by-side comparison of the two last summer, I realize that Vetiver Tonka blows Umbra out of the water - much deeper and richer with better longevity (but otherwise many similarities).

VT is one that I enjoy a little more each time I wear it. Very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy it at times, but like others said, it can seem like an unnatural pairing occasionally.

Post Thanks / Like

My favourite Jean Claude Ellena - I never fly without a travel size in my carry-on.

Post Thanks / Like

It's quite nice and perfect for the spring and fall.

Sweet and Nutty was my overriding impression -- don't expect much of a vetiver note. I thought it was ok, but wouldn't buy again.

Post Thanks / Like

I like my vetivers fresh and zingy. As others have pointed out, VT's tonka makes the thing sweet and round, which I don't like.

In the category of sweeter, rounder vetivers, I think Vetyverio is more interesting. But still it doesn't beat the real vetivers that are not shy of broadcasting their dry, rooty freshness.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
    I have been through several wearing of my sample of Vetiver Tonka now and I am kind of undecided on what to think of it. I get a very smooth rounded vetiver all the way through, but not a lot of tonka bean. I get a bit of a hazelnut vibe in the opening, but almost nothing after that. I really want to like this one but I just don't know yet. What are your guys' opinions on Vetiver Tonka? Also, does it get compliments?
    You summed it up in your opening sentence. I would not waste time asking why you should be uncertain about whether or not you should like this scent. If after several wearings you are still undecided , then you probably may not like now. Who knows you may come back later and see it in altogether different light. I found VT to be interesting in the initial application only to devolve rapidly into a distasteful mess. That was last summer , so maybe I will give it another try in the coolish Californian air now and see how it works out. It really can't do any worse than it did last summer.
    Chic is all about humor. Which means chic is about intelligence. And there has to be oddness-- most luxury is conformist, and chic cannot be. Chic must be polite and not incommode others, but within that it can be as weird as it wants.” - LT

I echo Jack Hunter. I love the Vetiver in this one. Perhaps the best done vetiver I have smelled. However, the tonka destroys this and they don't go together at all. I'd love to smell this vetiver paired with more green depth, light woods, and a clean musk.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Post Thanks / Like

Too sweet for me.

Byredo - Bal d'Afrique for me. Its in the same neighborhood, but way better in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Too sweet for me.

Byredo - Bal d'Afrique for me. Its in the same neighborhood, but way better in my opinion.
    Yes, I've lost my sample of bal DA. I wanted to explore it further and was considering a purchase. I should reorder a sample of it. I found that one to be the most unique and best smelling in the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally like this one and find the tonka accord just right for my taste.

(3067)
    I will somewhat agree with you. The sample I have is amazing. The vetiver shines and the tonka never dominates; its just there to provide some sweetness. However, when I ordered a bottle, the tonka kept rearing its ugly head, and not in a good way. Hermes isn't known for the batch variation syndrome, so I couldn't figure out the inconsistency. I haven't bothered to explore further but now I'm urged to pull my sample back out and revisit this.

If you like Vetiver Tonka, you should try Viaggio d’Africa by Pal Zileri.

Post Thanks / Like

JCE minimalist style just doesn't work for my nose, but I give Vetiver Tonka a big thumbs up. It's got personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I will somewhat agree with you. The sample I have is amazing. The vetiver shines and the tonka never dominates; its just there to provide some sweetness. However, when I ordered a bottle, the tonka kept rearing its ugly head, and not in a good way. Hermes isn't known for the batch variation syndrome, so I couldn't figure out the inconsistency. I haven't bothered to explore further but now I'm urged to pull my sample back out and revisit this.
    I agree...havent heard of batch variation with Hermes, however...the opposite happened to me with VT. I purchased (and exchanged) a bottle that had a huge vetiver stank to it. Almost no tonka or sweetness/caramel/prailine accords that I loved. It basically smelled like insect repellant...and infact I had a tester female tell me that it smelled like I was wearing "OFF" bug spray....and I did get that sense from whiffing it more later.

The bottle I exchanged it for has the good balance of that tonka sweetness that I loved about VT.

Maybe a fluke...who knows. But...I have experienced a variation myself.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Coincidence: I wore this from a sample last night.

Of course, I always have a soft spot for this, since it was one of the first Hermessence's I ever smelled, when I went to a Hermes boutique before I was a Basenoter. I instantly liked it (and Ambre Narguile). It's a bit difficult to wear in Miami, because it's rarely cool here, which is why I wore it last night since we had cold weather here. There is a note, like cotton candy, that I don't really like. Besides that, I like everything else about it: nutty vetiver (a bit like Sycomore, but not smoky of course), creamy tonka and a wonderful vetiver note that is far off in the background but still is lightly present when you wear it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I wore this yesterday myself, and I just love it. The vetiver mixed with that subtle sweetness and that fantastic smokey something is just amazing to me.

It's a ffragrance i rarely use, but when I do it's amazing, and I do at least one respray to keep it on me throughout the day.

As a Vetiver lover I highly recommend at least a test.

Does anyone else find vt to be a dressier scent. For some reason when i wear this i feel like i should be dressed nicely. Not have to be suit and tie formal but nicer than just casual.