Code of Conduct

Default Do You 'Make Offers' when frag shopping on Ebay?

I've seen this from time to time, done it from time to time as well but sometimes I feel a bit sheepish about offering a price lower than the listing. On the other hand, some of the pricing is truly obscene!

So if you make an offer, how do you determine what it will be? Do you expect to dicker back and forth a bit? What's your plan for such purchases?

ETA: Hope this isn't in the wrong part of the forum.

Default Re: Do You 'Make Offers' when frag shopping on Ebay?

Haven't done it, and have never accepted an offer when selling. I don't really have a problem with it, though.

Basenotes Member

I have offered a lower price when I think the BIN price is too high. My offer success rate is about 50%, it pays to be polite and persistent.

Hushhh , eBay'ers are watching (:

for swap/sale:

I make the lowest offer I'd expect someone to make if I were selling it. I've had plenty of people make ridiculously low offers. They told me they thought the offers were reasonable. They weren't.

For 'buy it now' items where the seller has set-up the 'make an offer' option, there's nothing wrong with doing just that, and making an offer. My experience is that the seller is generally looking for a price that is close to the buy it now price, so if that price is fair, then I generally wouldn't offer significantly less. For example, if the buy it now price was £50, and I thought that was reasonable, and postage was £5, then I might make an offer of £45, meaning that I might get the item for £50 including postage. Of course, if you really feel that the price is far too high then you can make what you think is a reasonable offer.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I make the lowest offer I'd expect someone to make if I were selling it.
    This

(3092)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I make the lowest offer I'd expect someone to make if I were selling it. I've had plenty of people make ridiculously low offers. They told me they thought the offers were reasonable. They weren't.

Exactly - sometimes people just offer what they wish to spend...

Yes all the time, and propably loose many because of my low balling!!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

If the price is one I am willing to pay, and I really want the item (and especially if it's hard to find and I don't expect to see another listing of it any time soon) I just buy it. Why take the risk that someone else will buy it while I'm waiting for a reply? I have, myself, bought items that had offers pending.

Now that I think of it , many sellers set up their listings to auto-accept or auto-decline offers within a certain range they have specified, so it may be worth making the offer anyway to see if it is auto-accepted-- if it isn't, one can always do the Buy It Now without further delay.

If the original price is outrageous, I do not make an offer. The seller clearly has a vastly different idea than I do of what their item is worth.

I don't make lowball offers with the intention of going back and forth. If the seller does counter-offer and I'm still willing to pay that amount, I do, but I have also walked away.

This is basically the same thing I do at tag sales or flea markets.

I don't make offers on fixed price listings that don't have the Make An Offer feature. If I'm not willing to pay the fixed price, I'll just put it on my watch list. If it doesn't sell and the seller eventually lowers the price, I'll know.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 17th January 2014 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    If the price is one I am willing to pay, and I really want the item (and especially if it's hard to find and I don't expect to see another listing of it any time soon) I just buy it. Why take the risk that someone else will buy it while I'm waiting for a reply? I have, myself, bought items that had offers pending.

Now that I think of it , many sellers set up their listings to auto-accept or auto-decline offers within a certain range they have specified, so it may be worth making the offer anyway to see if it is auto-accepted-- if it isn't, one can always do the Buy It Now without further delay.

If the original price is outrageous, I do not make an offer. The seller clearly has a vastly different idea than I do of what their item is worth.

I don't make lowball offers with the intention of going back and forth. If the seller does counter-offer and I'm still willing to pay that amount, I do, but I have also walked away.

This is basically the same thing I do at tag sales or flea markets.

I don't make offers on fixed price listings that don't have the Make An Offer feature. If I'm not willing to pay the fixed price, I'll just put it on my watch list. If it doesn't sell and the seller eventually lowers the price, I'll know.
    I tend to operate under this logic, for the most part as well.

That and the idea of offering what I am willing to pay, depends on the item and how likely I am to find it again.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Just did a few days ago for Halston Amber Man..
    I have been searching for it for months..
    I only do it when the seller has the accepting offers option..

I hate when buyers do it to me though..
    Some guy with 6 feedbacks offered me 10 bucks for Curve Kicks when I had it listed for $25..
    And of course when I did not message him back he states I am the rude one..- LOL

I only do it when the option is there as well. Do people do it in other ways? I had no idea.

I've never made offers but when i receive offers, they're quite ridiculous.

Blog Entries

I think if 'offers considered' is an option it's ok, otherwise, no. It's really rude and fairly pointless to offer less than about a 10% reduction IMO. Recently, I offered $25 on a $30 bottle and was not accepted. I thought that was odd since it said, "make an offer" and that was reasonable, but I ended up paying the asking price. If you say you will accept offers, but you don't, that's not really fair.
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th January 2014 at 05:50 PM.

I'll make a fair offer (considering both what I'm willing to pay as well as what past similar items have sold for) if the option is there. If the Buy It Now price is already fair, I'll just buy it.

I grew up haggling in antique markets. As an ebay seller, it doesn't bother me at all if people make me ridiculous offers. I just politely decline. If I'm going to offer, I tend to expect a bit of haggling - to tell the truth, it's such a part of my nature that I'm - still! - quite shocked that many people won't play along and take things incredibly personally. I've been given ten shades of s*** for trying to knock off 10%.

20% off is usually my sticking point - matter of principle, really - but if I want something badly enough I'll be happy with just getting the shipping 'free.'

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I only do it when the option is there as well. Do people do it in other ways? I had no idea.
    People do sometimes make such offers via eBay messages, but it's not "eBay legal" as it's a way to circumvent final value fees (people make a private deal off eBay, and eBay misses its fees.)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGallacher View Post
    For 'buy it now' items where the seller has set-up the 'make an offer' option, there's nothing wrong with doing just that, and making an offer. My experience is that the seller is generally looking for a price that is close to the buy it now price, so if that price is fair, then I generally wouldn't offer significantly less. For example, if the buy it now price was £50, and I thought that was reasonable, and postage was £5, then I might make an offer of £45, meaning that I might get the item for £50 including postage. Of course, if you really feel that the price is far too high then you can make what you think is a reasonable offer.
    that is exactly what i've done a few times.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Do it often. Sometimes sellers get carried away with their prices.

Yeah, sometimes they say yes and sometimes they just ignore me lol

When I sold items, I got low-ball offers all the time, even though I started my auctions very low with no reserve. I didn't like it. So when I buy, I only ask for modest reductions when the Make an Offer option is there for a BIN item.

Recently I wanted an item that was priced reasonably but the MaO option was there so I made one anyway, for about 5% less than the asking price. The non-acceptance came immediately - they must have had a way to respond automatically. So I followed it up with an offer for a dollar less than the asking price, and the same thing happened. It was rather annoying. Why suggest buyers make an offer if you are going to instantly turn them all down?

On the other hand, at the beginning of the year I saw a fragrance for sale at a reasonable price from a seller with whom I'd had previous positive experience. She included the option so I asked for a 7% reduction and received the go-ahead. Yay! As it turned out though, she mailed it, with tracking, on the 6th of this month and despite several hours of telephone calls to USPS I have yet to see it.

This week I saw a skin care item listed. Apparently the seller had more than one available at an okay BIN price, and included the MaO option. I offered 8% less at 10:41 AM. At 12:10 PM the offer was accepted. This note from the seller was included with the offer accepted message generated by eBay:
    "PAYMENT DUE WITHIN 24HRS(IF YOU CAN NOT PAY WITHIN 24 HRS DO NOT BID!!!!!
    DO NOT BID!!!!!!!. IF NOT NEGATIVE FEEDBACK WILL BE LEFT. UNLESS BUYER
    HAS CONTACTED ME. I HAVE MANY WINNERS WHO BID, WIN, AND DON'T PAY FOR PAY
    WEEKS LATER, AND NEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVER RETURN MY EMAILS. I HATE
    THAT!!!!!!!"

I did pay her immediately, because I felt I was obligated after making an offer. But had I known she was a psycho-seller who thought it okay to YELL at me and THREATEN me with negative feedback for absolutely no reason, I never would have made her an offer. All she had to do was skim through my feedback to see I am in the habit of paying immediately. I've considered appropriate feedback to her along the lines of Psycho-seller yells and threatens for no reason. I HATE THAT - DO NOT BID!! I'll probably just say "Thanks" though and give a low score in the area of communication.

Blog Entries

That must be a new thing, saying you'll accept offers and then - not.

You can make an offer and if the seller agrees they can amend the listing for you. That way it is above board in the sense that a) you're complying with eBay and b) you're safe as you will pay through paypal.

If you don't ask you don't get - I ask and respect the sellers decision, but it is annoying when you have sellers who are trying to exploit people.