Code of Conduct

Default Refrigerating Aroma Chemicals

Is there any danger in putting my aroma chemicals in my fridge? Any perks?

Default Re: Refrigerating Aroma Chemicals

Most will last longer. It shouldn't be dangerous unless you're letting them get into your food, but I'd be leery of loose lids or stronger aromachemicals. You know how the taste of garlic can get into everything by accident?

Well this fridge is new and dedicated to aroma chemicals. I've typically stored them on my shelf, but I got a great deal on this little fridge.

Concentrated solutions of solid aromachemicals like vanillin may crash out at low temperatures and need to be redissolved, otherwise I personally don't see any reason not to go for it.

The only downside to be aware of if you have a dedicated fridge is that it probably has an automatic light in it - that means a spark every time you open or close the door . . .

So don’t store materials in it that are flammable, give off a flammable vapour or are diluted in a solvent that does either of those (like alcohol for example) unless you have them in well sealed containers that don’t leak. Glass bottles with integral pipettes with a bulb-top are definitely not leak-proof enough.

Final thought - some aldehydes are better stored at room temperature - as described on my blog here.
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 17th January 2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: minor corrections
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    The only downside to be aware of if you have a dedicated fridge is that it probably has an automatic light in it - that means a spark every time you open or close the door . . .

So donít store materials in it that are flammable, give off a flammable vapour or are diluted in a solvent that does either of those (like alcohol for example) unless you have them in well sealed containers that donít leak. Glass bottles with integral pipettes with a bulb-top are definitely not leak-proof enough.

Final thought - some aldehydes are better stored at room temperature - as described on my blog here.
    hey chris,

in your blog post, you mention Aliphatic aldehydes (unsaturated),
    I am not aware of any aldehydes with a c=c bond, [a double carbon bond], would that not make aldehydes saturated ?

Well spotted - that’s an error - all of them are saturated, which is what that should say. I’ll update the post: thanks!

Edit: now fixed. The error was repeated too - amazing not only that I got it wrong in the first place but also that none of the dozens of people who’ve read it, including chemists and perfumers had spotted it before (or perhaps they had but didn’t point it out . . .). So double thanks!
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 17th January 2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added edit
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Another thing to think about is that there is every chance that they won't actually smell the same (or at least smell with the same intensity) when they are chilled as they would when they are at room temperature. Because of this I'd suggest that you need to allow them to warm up to room temperature before you use them, assuming that you're not making to a firmed up recipe.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Well spotted - thatís an error - all of them are saturated, which is what that should say. Iíll update the post: thanks!

Edit: now fixed. The error was repeated too - amazing not only that I got it wrong in the first place but also that none of the dozens of people whoíve read it, including chemists and perfumers had spotted it before (or perhaps they had but didnít point it out . . .). So double thanks!
    your welcome,

in all honesty i was scratching my head on that, i have never heard of an aldehyde referred too as saturated, or unsaturated before...
    but it occurred to me that the route to an aldehyde is an oxidation of a primary alcohol, so there could be no double bond carbon
    formed.....

Quote Originally Posted by luigi_g View Post
    hey chris,

in your blog post, you mention Aliphatic aldehydes (unsaturated),
    I am not aware of any aldehydes with a c=c bond, [a double carbon bond], would that not make aldehydes saturated ?
    Mandarin Aldehyde is unsaturated.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Another good spot - my blog post only listed the saturated aliphatic aldehydes - but now that I look into it I can see that indeed trans-2-dodecenal has two double bonds:

Mandarin Aldehyde structure.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 17th January 2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added link
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

your right David

Another good spot - my blog post only listed the saturated aliphatic aldehydes - but now that I look into it I can see that indeed trans-2-dodecenal has two double bonds:

Mandarin Aldehyde structure.jpg
    well only the c=c double bond counts

All aldehydes have at least one get of double bonds ( between the Carbon and the Oxygen of the carbonyl group), we are looking for C=C bonds.

Cinnamic Aldehyde, Vanillin, tran-2-hexenal and Nonadienal, are all unsaturated aldehydes.

Basenotes Junkie

So don’t store materials in it that are flammable, give off a flammable vapour or are diluted in a solvent that does either of those (like alcohol for example) unless you have them in well sealed containers that don’t leak. Glass bottles with integral pipettes with a bulb-top are definitely not leak-proof enough.

The light bulb can be removed
    Justin E. Beasley

we are looking for C=C bonds.
    thought that was what i mentioned?

Cinnamic Aldehyde, Vanillin, tran-2-hexenal and Nonadienal, are all unsaturated aldehydes.
    .[/QUOTE]

Cinnamic Aldehyde and Vanillin are not aliphatic they?

Don't think the term aliphatic was mentioned; of course Cinnamic Aldehyde and Vanillin are not aliphatic. You mentioned "saturated", which I took to mean C=C bonds, Chris mentioned that Mandarin Aldehyde had "two double bonds". One double bond between C=C; the other? I assumed he meant between the Oxygen and Carbon of the Carbonyl group

Don't think the term aliphatic was mentioned; of course Cinnamic Aldehyde and Vanillin are not aliphatic. You mentioned "saturated", which I took to mean C=C bonds, Chris mentioned that Mandarin Aldehyde had "two double bonds". One double bond between C=C; the other? I assumed he meant between the Oxygen and Carbon of the Carbonyl group
    Aliphatic was mentioned in my blog post, which is about the special characteristics and storage requirements for the saturated aliphatic aldehydes - it also includes a picture of the structure of the group which defines aldehydes in general (including the oxygen double bond, which is saturated).

I didnít list Mandarin Aldehyde, but once you mentioned it I looked it up and saw that, in addition to that O double bond all aldehydes share, it had a carbon double bond - something Iíd never noticed before - so thatís what I was commenting on. The whole conversation is going to be a bit confusing if you havenít looked at the blog post (which now has the error corrected).
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett