Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dumpster scents

Cool Dumpster scents

One Million and Bang by Jacobs were thrown in a dumpster and your ones???
    True confessions, here! Please!

Default Re: Dumpster scents

I've never thrown a frag in the garbage. I either swap, sell, or give them away.

Blog Entries

What a waste. Why on earth didn't you sell them, or give them to someone who might appreciate them?

One man's trash is another man's treasure, you know.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I've never thrown a frag in the garbage. I either swap, sell, or give them away.
    This of course! +1
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    What a waste. Why on earth didn't you sell them, or give them to someone who might appreciate them?

One man's trash is another man's treasure, you know.
    the good ones are given away, but Bang is offensive, IMO.. and Million was nearly empty!

Samples binned - Pure Shot, Angel Cuir, Lacoste pour Homme, S. Oliver Original, Katy Perry Purr, Taylor Swift Wonderstruck, Expectional... because you are, Valentino Valentina.

Guerlain Vetiver & English Leather I threw in the dumpster after trying very hard to like them to no avail.

In my pre basenotes day's I dumped a bottle of Zino Davidoff down the toilet. Forgive me as at the time I knew no better.lol

I've given away Roadster Sport, Azzaro, Aramis Impeccable, Aramis 900, Herrera Sensual Vetiver and some Marks and Spencer rubbish. Still trying to offload Quorum.
    Last edited by Marais; 17th January 2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Wrong Aramis

Basenotes Plus

I haven't, but I can certainly see where you're coming from. Some scents become so annoying you grow to hate them

If I can't shift them they become room sprays

Basenotes Plus

I've put some in the charity (thrift) shop collection bag before now, mainly dodgy attars.

I don't dump them sir, I give them away to acquaintances that have no notion of true quality in perfume ....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Also just give away what I don't want.

(3096)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

In my pre-BN days, I threw away a bottle of Drakkar Noir, and (now the hate will come) some Fahrenheit that came in a plastic three-pack container along with scented shampoo and body wash. This would have been an early 2000s formulation.

Now I'd sell/trade/give it away, unless the price was so low and availability so high that it wasn't worth shipping (like Pinaud Clubman or something.)
    Last edited by insomniac; 17th January 2014 at 03:46 PM.

Just two - Creed MI and Interlude Man

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Also just give away what I don't want.

(3096)
    Same here.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Just two - Creed MI and Interlude Man
    Blimey!

Creed Original Vetiver...have tried to like this due to the positive reviews. Wore it four separate occasions. Made nauseous each time.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Blog Entries

When I get down to the last few ml's or so I use em as room sprays

Try the "giveaway" or swap threads. One man's garbage is another's favourite.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Why would you throw them out? There's a giveaway thread here on BN. Swap threads are great too.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    If I can't shift them they become room sprays
    +1. The bad but not horrible ones become restroom sprays. Then , as a form of punishment, he really bad are used as gym sneaker spray e.g Polo Explorer,
    Last edited by stanmar; 18th January 2014 at 01:57 AM.
    Chic is all about humor. Which means chic is about intelligence. And there has to be oddness-- most luxury is conformist, and chic cannot be. Chic must be polite and not incommode others, but within that it can be as weird as it wants.” - LT

Blog Entries

I've decided to send mine to the hazardous waste disposal. Even the expensive mistakes. (Vintage perfumes that are off) I can't in good conscience give them away or sell them as they will end up on the web where someone else will get cheated.

(Unless someone wants a decidedly stinky bottle of Deneuve.)
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th January 2014 at 07:37 PM.

I've only thrown away the few bottles that I've finished. I have no reason to keep the empty bottles as I don't collect them, and I recycled them as well as they are glass. Hard to believe people just basically tossing out money...sell it, swap it, give it away...but throwing it in the garbage literally is just a complete was of money and resources and I'm not the hippie tree hugging type lol.
    Last edited by rynegne; 17th January 2014 at 07:34 PM.

I've got to like them just a bit to even use them as a bathroom fragrance, so for instance if I ever found myself to be in possession of a bottle of Californian Poppy or original Poison then not even wild horses could make me use it to perfume my home or car.

The only proper treatment for either of those would be to be taken down the garden and ritually burned.

With things that are a bit less offensive I either give them away, sell them or send them to a local charity which recycles evening wear, make up, perfume and shoes into good looking outfits for girls who don't have the chance of having dresses of their own.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

A couple years ago I threw out ancient bottles of Drakkar, Polo Sport and Hugo.(and quite a few samples) Of course now that I joined Basenotes, I know better now

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I've given away Roadster Sport, Azzaro, Aramis Impeccable, Aramis 900, Herrera Sensual Vetiver and some Marks and Spencer rubbish. Still trying to offload Quorum.
    i'm willing to take that offensive repulsive Quorum off you

i'll give it a good home!

R by Revillon

I didn't like it at all. It cost me $12 for a 6.8 oz. bottle.

No one wanted it.

It wasn't even worth the price of it to ship it to someone.

It was a big bottle.

I figured I'd be stuck with the stuff for the rest of my life. Best to downsize now.
    Paris*L.A. is an excellent new gourmand from A Lab On Fire. If you're looking for a fun, new fragrance for this winter, check it out!

Blog Entries

That's how I feel about this blind buy.

PS- it looks like a pacifier. What was I thinking?
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th January 2014 at 08:19 PM.

Never thrown them away....if anything, they become colognes for my truck

I use colognes I don't like too much to the gym and take a shower afterwards. Sometimes I just leave them at the gym for someone to pick up.

Never happened so far, thankfully. Either finding it hard to get tired of any fragrance in the collection or, failing that, always finding someone who will enjoy the fragrance more than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by 3resh View Post
    Puredistance M
    This is one I would dumpster dive for ......where's the alley ?
    Chic is all about humor. Which means chic is about intelligence. And there has to be oddness-- most luxury is conformist, and chic cannot be. Chic must be polite and not incommode others, but within that it can be as weird as it wants.” - LT

I can't say I've ever thrown a perfume away. If I don't like something anymore, I just give it away or in rare cases sell it.

I ordered a sample of Secretions Magnifique for fun, and after we all had fun smelling it, I threw it out so it doesn't accidentally leak otherwise get near me lol.

I've givven quite a few frags away to friends. Most of the stuff was from TJ Maxx. It was nice to have a a lot in my collection, but it was rediculous to have them there and not actually wear the fragrance.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Basenotes Junkie

Decants that I had gotten rid of: New haarlem, creed royal oud, creed millesime imperial.

Tossed samples - chanel allure sport, d&g the one sport, guilty intense, bottega veneta, spicebomb.. Probably more..

Must be some mighty nice smelling garbage trucks around the place, after they crush the content of the dumpster.
    Regards,
    Renato

Iceberg Twice and Giorgio for Men. Couldn't stand them and they were worth less than the postage to mail them IMHO.

I've used half a bottle of Gucci Rush (over time), and various sample vials in the wash water for my clothing. Once it's diluted by gallons of water, the offensive fragrance isn't obnoxious any more. It's surprising to me that only a few mls of fragrance can scent an extra-large load of laundry.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    I've used half a bottle of Gucci Rush (over time), and various sample vials in the wash water for my clothing. Once it's diluted by gallons of water, the offensive fragrance isn't obnoxious any more. It's surprising to me that only a few mls of fragrance can scent an extra-large load of laundry.
    Interesting idea...I might have to try this. Do you add the fragrance during the final rinse?

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Same here. Mostly give it off to my cousins...

I keep them as a reminder of my taste in that point in time. Looking at you, Preferred Stock...

Do you mean the fragrances belong in a dumpster or that they smell like a dumpster?

Blog Entries

It means we had to give them the 'heave ho'.

I threw my Cool Water sample in the bin.

Cool Water here as well, Aspen (a cool water clone), Lancome miracle homme l'aquatonic, Ralph Lauren Polo explorer, Perry Ellis red 360 degrees.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Interesting idea...I might have to try this. Do you add the fragrance during the final rinse?
    Actually, no, I add it to the wash cycle along with the detergent (unscented, of course). Next time I'll try it in the final rinse.

I usually give them away. I have tossed a Hugo, although I don't remember which one.

CologneFan85

Exeptional samples from fragrancenet...everytime!

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    Exeptional samples from fragrancenet...everytime!
    I've always been tempted to make a batch of Molecule 01 and toss in a sample or two of Exceptional just for the heck of it. I don't think the stuff is bad. It's just so generic. But added to a batch of diluted Iso E Super could be nice.

...or not. And that's why I never bothered to try it

The worst Dumpster Scent is dill pickles. Somebody in my building must have thrown away a few jars because, holy smokes, after a few days, the stench is unbearable. I love dill pickles. Crisp, cold and right out of the fridge. But warm and rotting after days in a dumpster? Bleaugh!!!

The 2nd worst dumpster scent would be a broken bottle of Gucci Guilty. No dumpster deserves that. Bleaugh again.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 18th January 2014 at 11:34 PM.

I never throw fragrances away. Bang and 1 million are both respectable fragrances, you should have just given them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    Actually, no, I add it to the wash cycle along with the detergent (unscented, of course). Next time I'll try it in the final rinse.
    I think I'll try adding it to unscented fabric softener.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I've always been tempted to make a batch of Molecule 01 and toss in a sample or two of Exceptional just for the heck of it. I don't think the stuff is bad. It's just so generic. But added to a batch of diluted Iso E Super could be nice.

...or not. And that's why I never bothered to try it
    It just so happens that I have both homemade Molecule 01 and a seemingly endless supply of Exceptional samples. I'll try this soon and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    It just so happens that I have both homemade Molecule 01 and a seemingly endless supply of Exceptional samples. I'll try this soon and report back.
    Yes yes! Please do. They really should have named that stuff Eau de Fragrancenet Pour Homme. Either that, or name it "Eau Donwanit (but here it is)" ...Exceptional Because You Are... as if my awesomeness needs their validation. Sheesh on that name.

I'm thinking 1/4 Exceptional to 3/4 homemade Molecule 01. Your thoughts? Awe, hell... I'll try it too!

EDIT: Wow, it's been ages since I actually smelled that stuff. Exceptional is to perfume what Sienfeld was to television, except for the part about being any good. Exceptional is a perfume about nothing. It's SO light that it's almost not even there, and it's so generic that it has no reason for being there anyway. Anyway... I made my mixture. I ended up going more like 1/3 Exceptional to 2/3 Molecule 01. I'm going to let it sit for a week and settle.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 19th January 2014 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Expendable, Because It Is. AAHAHAHHAHAA!!!! ...ahem.

I open those "exceptional" samples and pour them in the toilet at work, after flushing. So the next person to sit down there .....can smell and feel Exceptional !
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Willyb: You should only pour that stuff in the toilet if you have, in fact, done something Exceptional (because you did).

Basenotes Plus

Recently gave Pure Malt, Pure Havane, and New Haarlem to a coworker.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Gave them away.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    Recently gave Pure Malt, Pure Havane, and New Haarlem to a coworker.
    That's a few hundred

Not dumped but I gave away, Grey Flannel, Kenneth Cole Reaction and Guess seductive blue. Didnt care for any of those too much.