Code of Conduct

Default Swap - cucumber aldehyde wanted

Hi,
    i am looking for trans-2, cis-6- nonadienal alias cucumber aldehyde ( small amount ). I can offer small amount of other aroma chemicals, or buy it from you.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Swap - cucumber aldehyde wanted

Yes i know this site, but minimal order 50GBP is too much, because i really need only this one AC.

Basenotes Plus

Doesn't anyone in mainland Europe sell it?

Lots of suppliers; Google "Cucumber aldehyde for sale" or "Cucumber Aldehyde suppliers" to find out more.

Yes there are lot of suppliers, but they sell minimum 5g for 150$ or more + postage + 20-25% importing tax to EU ( ~250$ total for 5g ). This is good price, but i dont need such huge amount. I need only 100mg.

Basenotes Plus

Unfortunately, Milhaus, trading is not allowed in the discussion threads here but good luck - you may need to make up an order including this one to meet a minimum order somewhere.
    There are various stockists shown in the Suppliers sticky here, some of which are in Europe.

I thought that trading and swaps are ok here and that split buys aren't.

Basenotes Plus

It sort of depends on the degree really I guess, Nizan - persistent soliciting is certainly not encouraged!

Technically, it's not allowed at all but people are normally discreet & arrange stuff by pm.

lpp I trust you that you all have a good reason; but still am curious why it wouldn't be OK for people to pitch in to buy something they otherwise couldn't afford due to corporate level purchase requirements? Wouldn't that be a major benefit of coming to a place like this for a small hobbyist or semiprofessional? Was someone somehow ripping people off, or what? It just seems like a very reasonable solution, and certainly legal and ethical to do. I'm making a perfume now, and quite a few of the ingredients I need to implement my idea are difficult to obtain, just due to being a small perfumer. It's quite frustrating to have that hurdle, where the highest quality ingredients are only available to industry giants. It would seem a great public service to support people's efforts to cooperate?

BTW, I may well be needing cucumber aldehyde as well, although I am wondering whether calone could be a substitite. In any case, this chemical should't be too much of a hurdle for me, since Hermitage offers so many different important ingredients, getting together enough orders to meet their minimum won't be difficult. If you are making a perfume, chances are they offer many of the things you need.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 22nd January 2014 at 08:13 PM.

I'm smelling a locked thread
    I guess there were some problems here before, and BN decided they don't want to be involved in that. I think Paul has a Yahoo group where they coordinate buys, but I didn't even try to apply, since no one can vouche for me.

Basenotes Plus

Haha Nizan

This is an old thread on the subject, DrSmellThis
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/322...ls-please-read!

It's more to do with general site rules applying to Marketplace transactions and the issue of precedent, I should imagine, although there have been successful group buys arranged here and there's no problem at all if people arrange it by pm but it's something that Messrs Bartlett & Kiler would need to sort out if done any other way.

Thanks. Some of that debate is a little over my head, not having the length of experience here. but at least there are ways around things...

Another idea - if there's a split buy in the marketplace, are we allowed to post a link to it from this forum?

I think that the solution here is pretty simple. Be Patient, and spend the money to get it when you have enough to order it from Hermitage...

Perfumery is Patience personified. I think we'd better get used to it... Or find something else to occupy our time instead.

A Hobby Of perfumery is not cheap, fast, or easy. That's the takeaway.

You've got a ready supplier, http://www.hermitageoils.com/cucumber-aldehyde-1811

PK
    Last edited by pkiler; 23rd January 2014 at 03:54 PM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Paul - I think you got me confused. I wasn't whining, and I certainly don't need cucumber aldehyde right now. I was thinking along the lines of muscone and geosmine..
    And from what you guess from my other questions, I do support suppliers - all those bottles don't just appear at my doorstep.

Basenotes Plus

There are ways around everything - I'm certainly unsure of the most current situation applying here due to the missing Huddler data, but Chris arranged for the purchase (and possibly, the manufacture) of a very rare chemical - it took a very long time ( a couple of years?).

Group buys in the past, before Hermitage (and others) began selling small amounts of ac's, were the only way in which the smaller players could obtain some materials.

Please bear in mind that Marketplace split rules were not designed for chemicals so the costing rules may not be workable.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post

BTW, I may well be needing cucumber aldehyde as well, although I am wondering whether calone could be a substitite. In any case, this chemical should't be too much of a hurdle for me, since Hermitage offers so many different important ingredients, getting together enough orders to meet their minimum won't be difficult. If you are making a perfume, chances are they offer many of the things you need.
    Calone is nothing like Cucumber Aldehyde. Also Cucumber Aldehyde (nonadienal) is ferociously strong and expensive. A little goes a very long way, and a little is usually all you can afford. I used to use a 0.1% or even 0.01% solution. I think Hermitage's deal is very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    Paul - I think you got me confused. I wasn't whining, and I certainly don't need cucumber aldehyde right now. I was thinking along the lines of muscone and geosmine..
    And from what you guess from my other questions, I do support suppliers - all those bottles don't just appear at my doorstep.
    Maybe I did get confused. Sorry to have lit into you...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon