Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon's to launch "Tralala" in April

http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/beauty...erfume-tralala

A Duchafour creation with notes of whiskey, leather, incense and myrrh. Sounds interesting.

Default Re: Penhaligon's to launch "Tralala" in April

The name is awful!

The notes sound very interesting.
    DONNA

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    The name is awful!

The notes sound very interesting.
    +1

Sound promising
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Blog Entries

Is there one called "Fiddle Dee Dee" ? Maybe that'll be next.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Is there one called "Fiddle Dee Dee" ? Maybe that'll be next.
    Too funny!
    (3109)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Notes intrigue.

for swap/sale:

There was an Article posted here about this one.
    Last edited by lpp; 18th January 2014 at 08:56 AM.

I agree - the name is hugely regrettable.
    One has to wonder if the person who suggested calling the fragrance 'Tralala' had actually read Selby's novel.
    The book's section / chapter entitled 'Tralala' describes in graphic detail the brutal gang rape of a prostitute (Tralala).
    Clearly Penhaligons are trying to rebrand themselves. It's a shame they seem to have chose ELd'O as their model….

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    There was an Article posted here about this one.
    While I've tried most Pen's fragrances, I do not own a single one. Nevertheless, based on the notes listed for Tralala, I am looking forward to trying it. Provided it's a decant.

The notes on which the fragrance is based--let alone the potential (likely?) story behind its name--make the use of a clown face (more like a kewpie doll) absurd. The fact that the head of marketing at Pen's gets on Basenotes today (different thread) to say that the story behind the title is the antithesis of what the designers stated (Meadham Kirchhoff in Cosmopolitan, UK version) does not help. How could one name a frag based on whiskey, leather, incense and myrrh "Tralala," which is, according to the head of marketing, "simply an innocent and musical expression which reflects the fragrance"? A doll face and perhaps "tralala" may represent "innocence"; whiskey, leather, incense, and myrrh categorically do not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    One has to wonder if the person who suggested calling the fragrance 'Tralala' had actually read Selby's novel.
    The book's section / chapter entitled 'Tralala' describes in graphic detail the brutal gang rape of a prostitute (Tralala).
    Clearly Penhaligons are trying to rebrand themselves. It's a shame they seem to have chose ELd'O as their model….
    Yikes! I'm not familiar with that sordid tale. Of course, there are many so called 'love' stories in classical fables that are pretty gruesome.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    We'd just like to clarify that the name Tralala is simply an innocent and musical expression which reflects the fragrance. The perfume is rich, whimsical and nostalgic in Penhaligon's best tradition, as you'd expect.
    Noun 1. tra-la-la - a set of nonsensical syllables used while humming a refraintra-la-la - a set of nonsensical syllables used while humming a refrain
    Selby didn't invent the word. Not sure how popular the book is. I've read it many moons ago.

The notes as listed in the BN article:
    The ‘counter culture couture’ of Tralala opens with notes of saffron, whiskey, ambrette seed, galbanum and green violet, with a heart of carnation, orris, tuberose, ylang ylang, incense and leather, finishing with a base of resins, balsams, patchouli, vetiver, cedarwood, musk, vanilla and a powdery note of heliotrope.

This fuller notes list seems more complex, rich, and yet not as dark as it may seem.

I think for modern culture, and often for perfumes, names are not literal. "Tralala" itself does not mean only the character from Selby's novel; it does have a more innocent meaning. But as Meadham Kirchhoff says, it is partly a reference to that character (as I did not find out what they said exactly at the press conference.

Robin from Now Smell This writes thus.
    I want to be clear that "inspired by" was my wording. The exact wording from the source, since the name is obviously causing some discomfort: "There’s a dark undercurrent, too – ‘Tralala’, the pair admits, is partly a reference to a character in the 1989 film Last Exit To Brooklyn who ends up in a rather grisly predicament."

That is to say, I guess, that for the more erudite, hearing the name Tralala may bring up echoes of that unfortunate literary character and all that it connotes(. Unfortunate as it may be, there is indeed then a juxtaposition of innocence and tragedy (the dark undercurrent?), and this can be seen in the rather contradictory notes. But to the less literary-minded, would such people hearing the name Tralala immediately think of that fictional character and assume that Penhaligon's is promoting gang rape? I think that's taking the assumptions way too far.

Added:
    By the way, contradictary, whimsical, surreal, dark undercurrents seem to describe the aesthetic of Meadham Kirchhoff quite well.
    Last edited by Maque; 18th January 2014 at 06:37 PM.

I'd blind buy from the notes & nose alone, but I'm not particularly fond of Penhaligon's austere style.

If it could at least hold up to my favourable impressions of Sartorial & Vaara, while remaining faithful to the uniquely quirky Meadham Kirchhoff pashmina punk style, then we might have something here.

Quote Originally Posted by awayalonealong View Post
    ...The fact that the head of marketing at Pen's gets on Basenotes today (different thread) to say that the story behind the title is the antithesis of what the designers stated (Meadham Kirchhoff in Cosmopolitan, UK version) does not help. ..
    The Cosmo article appears to have been pulled.
    For those who are interested, here is the original text (per: Google's cache of http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/beauty...erfume-tralala. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 17 Jan 2014 20:22:35 GMT.)

“I have the shortest attention span in the entire world. But this fragrance took three years to make and I loved every minute of it,” said Edward Meadham, the British half of Brit-French design duo Meadham Kirchhoff, last night at the launch of their first scent with Penhaligon’s, named, pleasingly, ‘Tralala’.
    The duo is clearly chuffed with the result, created for them by master perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour. “We’re probably more proud of this than of anything else we’ve done,” they gushed.
    And so they should be. From the bottle with its clown motif to the juice full of whiskey, leather, incense and myrrh, Tralala is totally idiosyncratic and surprising, much like the duo’s quirky designs. There’s a dark undercurrent, too – ‘Tralala’, the pair admits, is partly a reference to a character in the 1989 film Last Exit To Brooklyn who ends up in a rather grisly predicament.
    A complex, sensual ‘piece of counter culture couture’, Tralala will be available at harveynichols.com from 21 April and at Penhaligons.com from 5 May, costing £150.

---

Basenotes Plus

Seems interesting enough to warrant further investigation. I'm not keen on the name either - Penhaligon's Gandhajala sounds far better

An interview with Bertrand is featured on that other popular site, in which he notes the inspiration; "I came to work in purpose on an old- fashioned accord reminding of l'Heure Bleue de Guerlain, l'Aimant de Coty... something powdery, deep, even dark, leathery, with animalic connotations... I did a kind of powdery Après l'Ondée framework structure on which I added a very atypical aldehydic resinous note made of Incense, opoponax, a dark and intense myrrh basenote."

Wow, can't wait!

Blog Entries

Hmmm, I'm dubious. When perfumers compare themselves to classics it makes me think of novelists whose work is compared to "Catcher in the Rye" or "To Kill a Mockingbird".

For people getting creeped out by the bottle and discussion if Penhaligon's promotes violence against women
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2014/01/17...new-fragrance/

Creeeepy.

Blog Entries

It sounds as if they are back-pedaling on this one.

Certainly seems as if there was some miscommunication between people if someone really mentioned the Selby book/movie whilst others seem unaware.

I was lucky enough to be able to try a squirt of this on thanks to the lovely ladies in the London store. Dispute the ridiculous name, you can look forward to it with some anticipation because it's completely scrummy IMO. A rich and vibrant perfume that will definitely be an FB wearer for me as soon as it gets released and I don't say that about many. it has the fullness of a proper perfume and not these skinny little things earmarking some of the latest releases by many houses.

I will go and get my notes and write it up properly when I have a moment.

Looking forward to reading your review mumsy. I still think the name is wrong, and very un-Penhaligon.

Eeeeek. Not diggint his name.

Blog Entries

Has anyone tried this yet?

Quite agree on the ghastly name plus the equally ghastly bottle topper. Luckily I expect it comes off easily. I will type a review up now.

Important point to bear in mind is I was on the hoof when I tried this on skin and so couldn't write the notes until I found a cafe afterwards so may have missed out fully on some of the top note observations.

so.. Tralala ….

A massive and almost overpowering opening hit. Soft, sweet and powerful like the very finest vintage Laphroaig single malt whisky. Ooh la la indeed. A really fun and playful dance of the senses ensues almost as if one had drunk it instead of applied it. A whirlwind perceived as myrrh, bourbon, madagascan vanilla, something tea-ish like bergamot and spicy old fashioned flowers like carnations. Like reeling in the bar of a sumptuous Scottish ballroom bar whilst the colourful dresses and whirling dancers swirl around with their various perfumes just whisking past for a fleeting, tantalising whiff then gone again. Then various puddings laid on the side tables far on the other side.

The overwhelming roundness and fullness of this fragrance reminded me of the opulence of the perfumes made in the early 1800's where sumptuous ingredients were used freely. The ingredients that came to mind straight away were anise or liquorice (which actually might have been the booze) Carnation, Orris and Myrrh. There was a hint of a marzipan note with a tonka feel but it wasn't as sweet as tonka, possibly tolu balsam. There was a richness behind the flower reminding me of hippy perfumes mixed with eastern spice markets.

One could be alarmed with such a start, but this slowly calms to a serene and harmonious beauty. The softer sandalwood and quieter musks settle with the orris and incense notes to a sophisticated aura of loveliness. Elegant and harmonious enough to be worn by both sexes. The more complex threads in the blend become interwoven as one subtle fabric, freshly clean and yet warm and cozy. That was the interesting part because it did somehow maintain an airy breeze to counteract the initial richness.

It reminded me slightly, especially in the drydown to Amouage Gold, with its many subtle layers like a hareem of colours blending together but remaining separate.

On paper, it stays a fresh and airy woodsy thing. On the skin it dries down to a soft and gentle caress quite unlike its bawdy bar beginning. Soft cedars with refined vanilla and a powder orris touch with a comforting old fashioned feel. Kept well away from old lady fusty with this fascinating fresh aspect.

I would say this has the markings of a classic dispite all the ghastly visual evidence to the contrary.
    Good for Penhaligons for daring to go outside their safety zone. Nice touch from the designers for their apparently considerable input. I'm in the front of the queue for my bottle and I very, very seldom feel like that about new perfumes. Thank you to the two lovely ladies for letting me try it on in the shop.

I feel a bit nervous reviewing something for the first round. I had no knowledge of any notes when I did, so all this is written in ignorance of the ingredients. It will be fascinating to see what you think.
    Last edited by mumsy; 24th April 2014 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks for posting, mumsy - it's going on the test list now

What a great review, Mumsy! You make it actually sound appealing!

Thank you. They are doing their best to make it not look or seem so…

Ooh la la.

Thank you for that treasure.

Hope the fragrance is better than the name and bottle.

Thanks for the review; it actually sounds rather good. So the French had "Avec son Tralala", the Brits had "My little stick of Blackpool Rock". Vive la difference!

Start at 3.02

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OPomone View Post
    I have to disagree. This name is gently mischievous.

Bertrand Duchaufour had surely in mind a certain French popular song, entitled Avec son Tralala (with her Tralala). It was sung for the first time by Suzy Delair in the film Quai des Orfèvres (1947) by Henri-Georges Clouzot. An obvious subtext runs all through the lyrics and the meaning of the word 'Tralala' is left to the interpretation of the listener...

Trés drôle! Merci! That was a hoot.

I have to wonder at the kind of idiot who truly believes that Penhaligons are promoting violence against women by naming this perfume "Tralala".

Quote Originally Posted by nathan.k View Post
    I have to wonder at the kind of idiot who truly believes that Penhaligons are promoting violence against women by naming this perfume "Tralala".
    Purveyors of unequivocal political correctness, conspiracists & probably the same type of folks who deem fragrances to be a threat to society?

Mumsy - great opening salvo, I enjoyed your review!

I haven't worn Tralala but from a generous spritz on paper I concur. My initial impression from spending an afternoon with it is that it does have a classical mood going for it while maintaining a 'modern' touch, a bit of sweetness that renders it less 'austere' than the word classic might suggest.

I'm reluctant to say too much given only one day with it on a mouillette - I have no idea how it 'wears' - so will just say that these perfumes come to mind, and I do look forward to the official launch and a chance to get a sample and spend some quality time trying it out:

Moulin Rouge
    Lalfeorosa
    Hasu no Hana
    Traverse a la Bosphore.

If anything about any of these appeal to you then Tralala is probably well worth checking out
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

It's now available for £150 for 100ml. I have to say the bottle and packaging look really awful and really tacky.

http://www.penhaligons.com/tralala/?...rce=New+Master

Jesus God that does look vile!!

I think that it might be a case of waiting for a split to avoid having to home that bottle

I think this place would make a perfect home for the bottle. lol

Jack I think I would prefer the haunted house without the bottle.

Lol...... If you were making a horror film about a cursed bottle of perfume that killed anyone that used it. Penhaligons Tralala would be the one you would use.

I like the bottle, I can see it sandwiched nicely between a photo of my dead uncle and my stuffed cat.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I like the bottle, I can see it sandwiched nicely between a photo of my dead uncle and my stuffed cat.
    And that's how coffee gets splattered all over my iPad. Thanks a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just showed Granny and she says it looks deplorable and she never wants to set eyes upon it again!

I would be happy to organise a split on the split thread but we would all be arguing about who gets the bottle for all the wrong reasons.

From your description mumsy it sounds like an interesting fragrance, and I would love to smell it and I'm sure that I can the next time I pass a Penhaligons store. However the name is suspect, and the bottle, even if it weren't Penhaligons; oy, the bottle!

At least P are trying to break their mould but maybe they've forgotten their target audience. Unless of course they are after a new age bracket in which case the scent is too sophisticated and needs some sugar. If I get a sample then I will forward on.

That box & flaçon is the stuff that nightmares are made of...
    Last edited by Arij; 6th May 2014 at 12:25 AM.

The bottle threatens to waste the work of a decent perfumers skills if you ask me. Perhaps after all the excitement of the launch and the first flurry, they might produce a plain bottle to follow.

Lets hope they do Mumsy because from the note breakdown and your thoughts on it, it looks like a winner. But that bottle does them no favors at all.