Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Thank you ScentFan for the reply and the thourough comparison. Now I am even more interested in incense pure.

Regarding Sahara noir, I actually like how unapologetic it is and it actually does last and project on my skin. I just feel that I have to create or specialize a certain mood to wear it.

Now on the other hand, I hear that incense pure is outdoorsy and airy and therefore could be more wearable and approachable lol.

Anyway, I'm gonna order some samples asap.

Thanks again.

Very interesting difference re Sahara Noir's performance. Thanks. I honestly can't smell it at all anymore, while IP is still agreeably there. Will put it on hubby to see if it vanishes or projects on him.

Thanks Scentfan, can't wait to sample them. I'll add my 2cents when I do though.

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Thank you ScentFan for the reply and the thourough comparison. Now I am even more interested in incense pure.

Regarding Sahara noir, I actually like how unapologetic it is and it actually does last and project on my skin. I just feel that I have to create or specialize a certain mood to wear it.

Now on the other hand, I hear that incense pure is outdoorsy and airy and therefore could be more wearable and approachable lol.

Anyway, I'm gonna order some samples asap.

Thanks again.
    I'm a fan of both scents and don't find them all that similar. SN is pure churchy incense from start to end. It doesn't change all that much over time. Lasts all day. IP, as I wrote above, is a very outdoors-y scent, where evergreen and wood are featured prominently. Don't get a church-y vibe from this one at all. And it lasts all day, also. Not much overlap here, and if you like incense, both are worthwhile. I have SN and IP is on my buy list

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    I'm a fan of both scents and don't find them all that similar. SN is pure churchy incense from start to end. It doesn't change all that much over time. Lasts all day. IP, as I wrote above, is a very outdoors-y scent, where evergreen and wood are featured prominently. Don't get a church-y vibe from this one at all. And it lasts all day, also. Not much overlap here, and if you like incense, both are worthwhile. I have SN and IP is on my buy list
    Thank you James for the info. I'm gonna order a sample of Incense Pure and another of Tabac Aurea (which appears to be very very interesting !).
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Very interesting, I hadn't thought of it as a gourmand, but a red wine note might be there. Will re-sniff. About to spray several SSSs at different points along my arms and hands, in hope of uncovering my favorite. Will report.
    Good can't wait to read it! I might be crazy for the gourmand take on Rose Volupte, not sure yet. It does smell spicy-berry-mulled-winish to me though despite rose definitely being present. I do really like it, wore it out last night and it was amazing, could still smell it in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by peppermoon View Post
    Thanks Scentfan, can't wait to sample them. I'll add my 2cents when I do though.
    Great. That's the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Linsul View Post
    Good can't wait to read it! I might be crazy for the gourmand take on Rose Volupte, not sure yet. It does smell spicy-berry-mulled-winish to me though despite rose definitely being present. I do really like it, wore it out last night and it was amazing, could still smell it in the morning.
    I sprayed: Rose Musc, Jour Ensoleille, Champagne de Bois, Nostalgie, Lieu des Rieve and Velvet Rose on the back of my hands and on my arms and sniffed through the drydown and beyond. To my own surprise, my favorites of this group are Champagne de Bois and Lieu des Rieve. I also like Jour Ensoleille. Tomorrow I'll repeat with the others.

Blog Entries

Thanks, ScentFan, for directing us to this House. I am thinking to get busy and investigate and order samples, and sniff, and buy ...

I cannot get rid of the thought that with the forthcoming restrictions via the EU allergy regulations and the general IFRA regulations, that this House could be affected by not having the raw materials anymore to create the glorious scents they do.
    http://www.sonomascentstudio.com/oakmosspop.shtml

Their complete list of ingredients is here:

http://www.sonomascentstudio.com/ingredientsO.shtml

So I will get busy and order some samples, and possibly full bottle(s).
    Last edited by Ursula; 17th February 2014 at 12:06 PM.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I sprayed: Rose Musc, Jour Ensoleille, Champagne de Bois, Nostalgie, Lieu des Rieve and Velvet Rose on the back of my hands and on my arms and sniffed through the drydown and beyond. To my own surprise, my favorites of this group are Champagne de Bois and Lieu des Rieve. I also like Jour Ensoleille. Tomorrow I'll repeat with the others.
    Champagne de Bois is glorious, I haven't tried the other two yet but am looking forward to it. I try out scents like a homebound troll, not wanting to go out with an untested one. On a related note, my husband has been my captive (literally) audience and contributor since we're both House of Cards addicts. He's ambivalent toward all so far. Wore Narciso Rodriguez for her last night and he acted like a man lost in the desert who had unexpectedly found water. Thinking I should just buy a bottle of Jicky and be done with it from his perspective because that one is a musk bomb on me.

I really want to wear Champagne de Bois again tonight but in the spirit of testing I'm going to go with a new one. Looking forward to it!

I just did it...bought a bottle of Incense Pure. I had to...told myself I wasn't last week. But, there's Free Shipping today on IndieScents, plus I had a $10 coupon code. $72 in total...couldn't pass it up.

Blog Entries

(double-post - I "hate" this software)
    Last edited by Ursula; 17th February 2014 at 09:57 PM.

Blog Entries

I suppose when you are on her e-mail letter mailing list that once in a while there are coupons or other.

She also has a blog. See this link:

http://sonomascent.wordpress.com/

Basenotes Plus

Ha!! I got that email from them today, and placed an order for Incense Pure as well. I had a $13 coupon from last order, and with free shipping - came to just $69. They sent me a sample of IP last week and I barely got one sniff of it so far, hardly even full proper wearing, but I liked what I smelled and couldn't pass up on this sale. Woo hoo!! We'll both be able to compare IP to Norma Kamali Incense later this week. ;-)

Edited
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 18th February 2014 at 03:38 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Blog Entries

Off Topic - somewhat

I think that it is good that she offers rather small sizes. Andy Tauer does the same with his Explorer Sets (l5 ml spray) and they are going like hot rolls.

I got a full wearing of IP. You'll like it. The only question is...will you regret not getting Winter Woods as well :-) I'm really pumped my NK Incense comes tomorrow. So I'm not wearing anything until it arrives at work!

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Ha!! I got that email from them today, and placed an order for Incense Pure as well. I had a $13 coupon from last order, and with free shipping - came to just $69. They sent me a sample of IP last week and I barely got one sniff of it so far, hardly even full proper wearing, but I liked what I smelled and couldn't pass up on this sale. Woo hoo!! We'll both be able to compare IP to Norma Kamali Incense later this week. ;-)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I got a full wearing of IP. You'll like it. The only question is...will you regret not getting Winter Woods as well :-) I'm really pumped my NK Incense comes tomorrow. So I'm not wearing anything until it arrives at work!
    I'm waiting for samples and I have a feeling I will end up with Winter Woods as well. Sounds delish.

Just checked tracking number for NK - it's going to be here tomorrow. Synchronized testing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Linsul View Post
    ... Wore Narciso Rodriguez for her last night and he acted like a man lost in the desert who had unexpectedly found water. ...

I'm pretty sure Narcisso Rodriquez for her should be labelled a weapon. Against it, do men have a defense? I asked hubby to sniff much of my collection the other day and when he came to that one his eyebrows went up and he said, "Whoa!" then quickly acted normal. It was too late. I saw the reaction he tried to mask.

Back to SSS, I think I'm having different feelings this time around than at first and now I'm wondering why. Is it the weather? The temp got up to 80 here today and I turned off the hvac and let the house air out. On my warmer skin, I do smell an occasional sour note on previous favorites, like someone suggested, especially the florals yesterday. Today I sprayed Rose Volupte, Voile de Violette, Ambre Noir, To Dream, Incense Pure, and Fig tree on hands and arms. All rocked except Rose Volupte which smelled different this time. Again, picking a favorite is hard. IP rocks, of course. So do the rest, esp Viole De Violette, Ambre Noir and To Dream. I still love most of SSS, but different experiences with the same perfume is, to this middling new perfumista, strange.

Blog Entries

Is it true that you sprayed six (6) perfumes in one day on your hands and arms? Of course, the odors mingle. You did not wash off one before you sprayed the next?? How can all of these dancing odor modecules be identified properly for each scent?? Just joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Is it true that you sprayed six (6) perfumes in one day on your hands and arms? Of course, the odors mingle. You did not wash off one before you sprayed the next?? How can all of these dancing odor modecules be identified properly for each scent?? Just joking.
    Yes, I got the idea from watching a famous designer do it in a video. I keep them far apart but it works for me, too.

p.s. Oh, maybe you missed that this wasn't an initial test, but one in which I was comparing scents I'd already sampled and purchased.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 18th February 2014 at 02:47 AM.

Scentfan, I think the fragrances are affected by changes in temperature, humidity, etc. A perfect example for me is Chergui. It is one fragrance on me in the winter and some completely different (and more glorious) in the heat of summer.

For me, I can only wear Winter Woods and Rose Volupte in the fall and winter and Fig Tree and Wood Violet in the spring and early summer. I can wear Voile de Violette year-round.

I'm sure there's a psychological component (as in the kinds of fragrances and notes I'm drawn to during the different season), but I also think there's the physical aspect to it, too -- our skin changes, so does our perception of fragrance. Have you tried spraying on a shirt or sweater rather than skin? Otherwise, you might need to move to San Diego to find a constant

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Scentfan, I think the fragrances are affected by changes in temperature, humidity, etc. A perfect example for me is Chergui. It is one fragrance on me in the winter and some completely different (and more glorious) in the heat of summer.

For me, I can only wear Winter Woods and Rose Volupte in the fall and winter and Fig Tree and Wood Violet in the spring and early summer. I can wear Voile de Violette year-round.

I'm sure there's a psychological component (as in the kinds of fragrances and notes I'm drawn to during the different season), but I also think there's the physical aspect to it, too -- our skin changes, so does our perception of fragrance. Have you tried spraying on a shirt or sweater rather than skin? Otherwise, you might need to move to San Diego to find a constant

LOL! Thank you so much, ExtremeK. That explains it. I trust my hypersensitive nose and am busily trying to educate it. You just added a whole chapter to its knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    I am wearing Winter Woods today so good timing on this thread. While on the website I noticed one from the Naturals line that piqued my interest. Can anybody speak to Spiced Citrus Vetiver?
    Lot's of (especially top note) citrus, a quieter scent, slightly 'dry', blended well so most individual notes do not stand out. Not too spicy. I think that I like this one out of all her 'Naturals' line so far. Cocoa Sandalwood is just too bitter for my tastes.
    As all natural perfumes, sillage isn't powerful and lasting power is scarce. Think skin scent for your enjoyment.

I'd like to try the 'Amber Incense'... keeping in mind that even though it may be an excellent concoction, it is still a 'natural', still having all the drawbacks associated with 'natural' perfumes.

Cool Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    I suppose when you are on her e-mail letter mailing list that once in a while there are coupons or other. [/U][/I][/B]

She also has a blog. See this link:

http://sonomascent.wordpress.com/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I have purchased direct from SSS for quite some time now and have never seen a discount or coupon direct from Laurie. Maybe I missed them, but don't believe so! (On the email/Perfume Progress list).

I love Cameo. I don't see anyone mentioning this one, but it is really great on my skin! Long-lasting, with a vintage vibe; rose-violet accord. Here is a link: http://www.sonomascentstudio.com/cameoO.shtml I have received compliments on this one. I tried Incense Pure, even bought a bottle but had to swap it away. It is lovely, well-made but too heavy on my skin. I know that other commenters have said it isn't very churchy, but I found it to be so. Sadly, I never experienced the "outdoors-y" drydown. Anyway, I am a big fan of this line and look forward to sampling more of it.

Basenotes Institution

I still haven't sampled any of the fragrances from this line. Too many fragrances!!!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I still haven't sampled any of the fragrances from this line. Too many fragrances!!!
    I've been busily working my way through 12 of them, but am taking my time. Three weeks so far!

It's very impressive stuff, for sure.

I exclusively love violet leaf (not violet). I like the wet fresh aroma it surrounds my skin with.

Will any of the SSS offerings featuring violets meet my inquiry ???

Mike, I'd give Incense Pure a sniff. Also, Winter Woods. I own and love both. Incense Pure is a straight forward literal interpretation of sappy tree resins while Winter Woods is a warm amber fragrances with other interesting facets intertwined. WW in MIA might be a little much though, not sure your tolerance for Amber fragrances with the humid climate...Incense Pure could be worn all year, however.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

I'm pretty sure Narcisso Rodriquez for her should be labelled a weapon. Against it, do men have a defense? I asked hubby to sniff much of my collection the other day and when he came to that one his eyebrows went up and he said, "Whoa!" then quickly acted normal. It was too late. I saw the reaction he tried to mask.
    ^Quoted for truth! I wasn't that impressed by it though so it was slightly awkward watching him describe scent heaven; which he noticed and it just egged him on lol. There was a weird fuzzy cloud of muskyness, but when I actually sniffed the application points it was really pretty. I couldn't get past the cloud factor personally, but since he likes it I'll keep it. Just for the awesome reactions that ensue!

Back to SSS, I think I'm having different feelings this time around than at first and now I'm wondering why. Is it the weather? The temp got up to 80 here today and I turned off the hvac and let the house air out. On my warmer skin, I do smell an occasional sour note on previous favorites, like someone suggested, especially the florals yesterday. Today I sprayed Rose Volupte, Voile de Violette, Ambre Noir, To Dream, Incense Pure, and Fig tree on hands and arms. All rocked except Rose Volupte which smelled different this time. Again, picking a favorite is hard. IP rocks, of course. So do the rest, esp Viole De Violette, Ambre Noir and To Dream. I still love most of SSS, but different experiences with the same perfume is, to this middling new perfumista, strange.
    Other people have answered the "why" of this already very well, just adding that I've experienced the same. Going from cold snap to 75+ degree days has confused me scent-wise. My beloved Coco Blanc goes mild spice bomb and loses the creamy factor noticeably in the heat. Oh well, I guess not using it in the Spring/Summer will just make it last longer! I've not yet noticed a change in the SSS ones, but I'm still testing and wearing sure bets in between so I don't doubt that they're victims of seasonal and skin changes! I imagine Rose Volupte gets really confusing in high temps, there's a lot going on that could potentially conflict to my nose!

NOW! For Jour Ensoleille! I have to refer back to Narciso Rodriguez for her because my husband had nearly the same reaction. This one is all that is bright and happy and girly: orange blossom and white flowers with a pretty intense "cloud" akin to "for her" but different. Like a green musk...indole is the culprit I'm guessing? White flowers abound and there is definitely a darker side to this cheery citrus. The contrast with the citrus is interesting in a great way. After 3 hours or so when the citrus is pretty much a whisper (I do get the orange blossom for quite awhile) the oakmoss and cloud factor could give "for her" a run for the money on me. I find this to be a more day/office friendly scent if you're in the market for weapons grade scent hotness.

Basenotes Plus

OK, sample pass update. Received the package from ScentFan earlier in the week, all packed and presented very neatly, and labeled nice and clear. Amazing job on organizing so many sample vials in a tidy little box!! I have to get me some of those tiny zip-lock bags, those are great for organizing multiple 1ml vials. Or shipping them. Thank you, ScentFan, for putting this together, and for the awesome job organizing 21, yes, 21 samples!

First, let me preface my brief reviews that I’m blown away by Sonoma Scent Studio. Overall the quality of fragrances is very high, very well blended, very nice compositions. Some familiar to my nose (if you have a large collection, it’s bound to happen), several others feeling like micro-variations on the same theme (incense, amber, woods, musk) - but in a beautiful and fresh way. None of the ambers were too heavy, for example, and I feel could be easily worn in the summer just as well as in the winter, whereas something like Tom Ford Amber Absolute - I wouldn’t dare wearing in the summer. I’ve been simultaneously testing several Slumberhouse releases so I have a somewhat weird perspective sniffing SSS and SH side by side. I know Slumberhouse has a virtual cult following and I have personally ALMOST fallen into its trap as well, but I’m glad I resisted blind buying 3 different bottles from that house before getting just samples. After going through the samples, something interesting hit me… Slumberhouse feels, to me, more edgy and experimental, but also because of that, perhaps less polished, less finished, less “commercial grade.” There are a lot of VERY literal interpretations of notes, lacking something to round things off and keep things interesting over time. At first a big blast of a singular note may sound interesting, but when you are stuck with it for 12+ hours and it’s still not going away, it’s no longer that much fun. On the other hand, Sonoma Scent fragrances feel more finished, more polished, more “commercial ready” - if that makes sense. They feel high quality and a step above department store designer releases. They have some quirkiness to them, but overall none that are off-putting. There are a few fragrances I feel are definitely geared more for the ladies out there, the rose and violet based ones, rather than being unisex, but there are also a few more masculine ones - though ladies could pull those off as well in right scenarios. Overall, I think Sonoma Scent is more approachable and more enjoyable than Slumberhouse, while maintaining high quality fragrances that can easily go head to head against SH and most other niche/higher end indie releases.

On with the mini-reviews and comments. I’ll go in the order they are all posted on the Sonoma Scent web site - that's how I organized them in my spreadsheet for note taking.

Sonoma Boutique

Fig Tree - The opening is very green and synthetic, not as clean and natural smelling fig as you’d find in say Hermes Un Jardin En Mediterranee, where the fig leaf is much more organic and realistic. To me, this one was one of the very few disappointing fragrances in the line, I had high hopes for it, but ultimately I know other fig tree/fig leaf fragrances that do this theme better. The synthetic vibe was the most disturbing to me, it was borderline scrubber for me (unfortunately).

Nostalgie - It’s a rich and creamy floral, very dense, with a lot of honey up front. The name is extremely appropriate for this one - the fragrance is modern, but with a definitive nod to the past, reminding me of so many great fragrances from the 80’s. No, it doesn’t smell dated, it just has that nostalgic note in its composition, I guess us guys would “get it” if compared to say, Carven Homme, or Gucci Envy, or Mr.Blass. All these fragrances are more masculine, but have that same nostalgic feeling like they somehow could represent a bygone era. Very well done, leaning more to the feminine side of the spectrum.

To Dream - It feels almost peppery in opening, but not sharp peppery. There’s some fizzyness to it, bubbly, like champagne - it hits you in the face, then moments later the impression is gone. Then it hits you again, and it’s gone again. It’s fizzy and light, like champagne itself, perhaps a bit too light for my liking - but that just makes it that much better for crowded places, movie theaters, office wear, etc. I’m surprised there is violet listed in the notes (you’ll see why later), but here it seems to be so nicely blended that I don’t mind the note at all.

Forest Walk - Piney opening, with oak wood and moss, violet mixed with benzoin, and some jasmine, perhaps cedar. Good dose of amber and sandalwood. The amber makes it a little sweet, but not terribly much. I don’t know what sort of forest Laurie Erickson had in mind when creating this, but it’s unlike any forest I’ve ever been to. Unless, the forest is slightly sweet, not quite piney but also not tropical, yet one that has slight sweetness to it - and something that almost reminds me of…. grapes? Or the purple Kool-Aid…? It somehow all works together, though, and is quite different from the mainstream releases. FBW for me.

Rose Musc - Hmmm, rose, amber and musk. It’s very rich, very heavy on the rose. It’s a little “old school” if you will, and I hope I don’t offend anyone, but to me this is something that reminds me of fragrances my grandma used to wear. Distinguished and a little much on the rose, but I do know there are many women who love this type of scent - it’s just not my style at all.

Winter Woods - Ah, it’s been praised all over and I can see why. It’s a cozy scent, with a nice balance of amber, birch, and some woods (cedar, guaiac, sandalwood) with very resinous feel, and just a hint of leather. It’s not so much a woodsy scent, though, it’s more ambery warm comfort scent. Ryan wrote a nice review of this one - it does indeed feel like you are in the middle of the woods, but more like in a cabin with fire going on, rather than in the middle of a forest. Definitely FBW for me.

Incense Pure - Another heavy hitter from the SSS line. I got a sample of it couple weeks ago, and a few days ago ordered a full bottle, without so much as a single sniff of the sample (at the time). Couldn’t pass up on the sale. So what’s it like? Smoky incense and resins. It’s vibrant, yet relatively soft. It feels alive, very natural, very well blended combination of ingredients that on one hand would suggest churchy incense vibe, yet they turn out to be very different, much more alive and not at all like CdG style incense. There are some comparisons to Norma Kamali Incense and while I can see some similarities, I think Incense Pure is a year round beauty that evokes the outdoors and smoke and warmth, rather than enclosed church buildings. And it lasts all day, bonus. Already have my bottle on order, so yes, you could say FBW indeed.

Tabac Aurea - I have not heard much of this one before, but oh my… what a ride!! This is one of the more enjoyable releases from SSS. If you like pipe tobacco and/or tobacco leaf, this one is the cat’s meow. The comparison to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille is almost guaranteed to be made, but I think this one nails TV to a board and lets it drift away into the darkness. I always liked (but not loved) Tobacco Vanille - it was too sweet for me, too sticky, too much vanilla in the mix. I didn’t like the other alternative to TV, Eau des Baux - it had strong cardamon and other kitchen spices that detracted from the fragrance. And here comes Tabac Aurea and takes the top spot, without even trying. It’s a very nice balance of sweet pipe tobacco with amber and a hint of clove, but despite the tobacco/amber combo - it’s not very sweet at all. It has a resinous vibe, but it’s very restrained. Overall it has a very nice tobacco/amber note, without the sticky sweetness of vanilla, which, I think, pushes it ahead of Tobacco Vanille. Complex, rich, slightly spicy, resinous… it is a winner. Another FBW release for me.

Sonoma Exclusives

Ambre Noir - dark amber with labdanum, resins, somewhat dusty feel. It feels… somber, dignified, mature… Nice, but, seems like a micro-variation on couple other amber based SSS releases. Perhaps a bit redundant, as I prefer a few more notes that develop over time to round off the opening and give the fragrance more life. Very nice, don’t get me wrong, just perhaps a more linear interpretation of the theme.

Jour Ensoleillť - rich white florals, with jasmine front and center, some myrrh and tuberose playing supporting role. There is a heavy orange/orange blossom note in the opening. It is a lovely composition, if you like white florals dominated by orange and jasmine. I’d move the marker towards the feminine spectrum, but of course if you are a guy and love jasmine - definitely give this one a try.

Sienna Musk - there is a very interesting musky mandarin note in the opening, with some cloves following it, then sandalwood peeking through in the mid phase. This one is a nice surprise as well, it’s a very modern composition I didn’t quite expect. The spices would suggest oriental theme, but it’s lighter than what I normally consider “oriental”. It develops into a nice, albeit a bit light, woody fragrance, with sandalwood, cedar and cypress in about equal amounts. Good stuff.

Wood Violet - Violet, violet leaf and plum. It has a definitive gren vibe to it. It’s slightly musky, and slightly powdery in the later stages of development. While I like the plum, I’m discovering I’m strongly disliking violet (both the flower and the leaf). If you like violet, chances are this will be of interest, but me… I have to pass. It’s just too much violet, and not enough wood.

Champagne de Bois - Who knew mixing sandalwood with labdanum could be this interesting? After opening, there is slight amber feel to it, which increases the sweetness a bit. Overall the fragrance is very warm, soft and mellow, it wears light, and much like the name, sort of fizzes out quickly. If you like this combination, I think you may need to reapply mid-day to get a full day’s worth of enjoyment from this one.

Lieu de Reves - Ah, another one with heavy dose of violet, as well as heliotrope. As you can tell from comments above, not a big fan of violet here. Opening smells like violet flowers mixed in with either furniture polish, or perhaps paint thinner. Not the greatest combination, but I suspect it’s just me and my dislike for all things violet. Once you get past the opening, soft and delicate rose peeks through, with some tonka, musk, and yes, amber (seems like amber is a common theme in quite a few SSS fragrances).

Velvet Rose - Not the kind of rose I personally like. This one is an old dame rose, somewhat similar to Rose Musc, just more dry and powdery.

Fireside Intense - Smoky, woody, birch and leather, and more woody (guaiac wood, oud, cypress, cedar) - with the almost mandatory amber. It feels like burning logs, crackling and hot-red, with the sweetness provided by amber. OMG, this is nice, very very very nice. If you like Winter Woods and Incense Pure, I think Fireside Intense is another must buy! The fragrance conjures images of winter and campfires, with decidedly outdoorsy vibe. I think Laurie Erickson nailed the imagery here. Another definite FBW release for me.

Rose Voluptť - Jumping from great to… a scrubber. This is the same rose as in Velvet Rose and to a degree Rose Musc - so not my favorite. But then there’s this added green note, exactly the same one as in Fig Tree, which I did not like one bit. There’s a strong synthetic feeling to this green note. This is the second scrubber for me, sorry.

Voile de Violette - Another violet release, and now that you know how I feel about violet, I’ll just leave it at that. The violet here is supported by rose, tonka and myrrh - and I do love myrrh. I did not get a lot of it here, though. I’m thinking if it was amplified to the levels in Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum, it would perhaps redeem the overall fragrance, alas the strong violet notes just kill this one for me. Of course the name implies this one is all about violet, not myrrh, so no surprises here.

Sonoma Naturals

Spiced Citrus Vetiver - Feels very earthy, like dry dirt, with somewhat synthetic blood orange/citrus opening. I know I’m picky when it comes to citrus notes - but that’s what you get when you live in the land of oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits, etc. I’m so used to super fresh citrus fruit that attempts to create these notes in a lab just don’t work for me. If you live in an area where everything has to be imported from thousands of miles away and don’t know what fresh citrus smells like (fresh as in straight from the trees), feel free to give this one a try, but it didn’t move me personally. There is some vetiver and sandalwood in the back, but the artificial citrus was overpowering that and I just gave up on hoping it would get any better. I’m surprised this is in the “naturals” line. On second thought, I wonder if simply the chemical processing and perhaps the concentration of the oils may be messing with my nose and makes the “natural” oils feel somewhat synthetic?

Cocoa Sandalwood - Raw cacao? I didn’t quite get chocolate, or coffee beans, or much of the other notes listed for this fragrance. There’s some slight rotten feel to it, not a pretty one. Not sure what to make of this one, as it doesn’t remind me of cocoa... or sandalwood.

Cameo - Deja vu!! This smells almost the same as Nostalgie! There’s a musky rose, quite prominent, but I do not get the ambergris listed in the notes. Dries down to slightly more woody composition, with sandalwood, cedar, and oakmoss. If you like this scent you should definitely test this and Nostalgie side by side to get a better feel for which one you prefer. I didn’t want to use up too much of the 1ml samples so I didn’t do this comparison, just going from memory and from my notes I was taking when sampling each fragrance. If anything, I think Nostalgie may be perhaps richer, and definitely has a lot more honey, while Cameo feels a little lighter.

-----

All in all - five definite full bottle buys for me (one already ordered - Incense Pure), and I’ve also learned that violet is not my thing. I’m very impressed by the overall quality of this line, and despite the few quirky ones that did not appeal to me, I’m sure there will be many others who will enjoy them (as expressed already earlier in this thread). Laurie Erickson needs to be applauded for creating these fragrances and maintaining high quality, interesting and fresh interpretations of some classic themes, while also coming out with something more unique and more edgy - yet still casual and approachable. Very well done!!

Sample pass package is getting taped up tomorrow and will be dropped off in the mail Monday morning, going to kswer. I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I did!
    Last edited by remik; 5th March 2014 at 04:10 AM.

Super great review there, I need to order a sample pack at some point already! Been wanting to check out this line for quite a while. I have only sniffed two, Fig Tree and Champagne and wanted to sniff more offerings.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Wonderful reviewing, Remik. I've discovered that I'm not a big fan of violet either, as it tends to be far too powdery on my skin.

Blows Tom Ford's Sahara Noir's socks off. Done much better IMO, higher quality ingredients, more depth...just a better scent. This is what Sahara Noir was trying to be, but SN ends up just flat frankincense from start to finish. Additionally, Pure Incense costs less and lasts about twice as long.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Blows Tom Ford's Sahara Noir's socks off. Done much better IMO, higher quality ingredients, more depth...just a better scent. This is what Sahara Noir was trying to be, but SN ends up just flat frankincense from start to finish. Additionally, Pure Incense costs less and lasts about twice as long.
    While I admit I haven't sniffed incense pure yet (sample on the way), i don't agree about Sahara noir 'trying to be' anything or falling short whatsoever, neither in terms of longevity nor smell.

Sahara noir is an extremely well done complex (yes it is) Frankincense scent, based on the Russian/orthodox way of blending incense.

If you check the notes of Sahara noir, you will notice that it has almost (90%) of the notes used in Russian/orthodox monasteries incense . In the latter, they add benzoin, beeswax, rose, cypress, honeysuckle, lyly of the valley or jasmine (depends on locations) and cinnamon. I am orthodox and I burn that same incense at home (am not religious, i just freakin love its smell) and I can tell you that Sahara Noir nails the smell 99.8 %. Maybe with less amber and more benzoin it would be 100%.

Sahara noir is actually very complex and you need more than one or two wearing to start noticing the other supporting notes around the Frankincense.

Longevity on me is easily 10 hours with moderate projection.

Btw, i cant wait to smell incense pure and I hope I will love it even more than Sahara noir

Sent from Galaxy Note 3

Yeah, I'm not sure they set out to meet the same goals though. Sahara Noir is one of the most referential and true frankincense fragrances around (and the materials in it are actually phenomenal—it's using those amazing Orpur materials by Givaudan), whereas Incense Pure is twisting the genre by using vanilla, lactonics, orris, patchouli, and cistus to create a much more creamy green, stemmy take on the genre. I think IP is brilliant, but it's really just doing something else altogether.

Both scents are terrific, and I don't think they overlap to a significant degree. Own one, have the other coming.

Wearing Forest Walk right now. Good one too, if not quite at IP level.

Just my opinion I'm not trying to come off as if SN is garbage. I do find the two fragrances be in the same realm, obviously they're different in a few ways. I think they share the same end goal, a "meditative" incense. As far as incense fragrances go...just saying I'll take IP. I'm not saying SN is horrible at all... it just doesn't do what IP does for me. SN goes from warm frankincense to muted flat frankincense and beeswax on my skin at least and smells a lot like Chanel's Antaeus to me with addition of frankincense. Maybe it's just my nose :-/ don't tar and feather me please.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

don't tar and feather me please.
    Ha! Never!

There's a note in IP that bothers me and I've had a hell of time figuring out what it is (I've even chatted with Laurie about it). I think it's patchouli, though. To me, IP is a woody, herbal take on incense that sidesteps the more liturgical stereotypes associated with the genre.

Hmm strange. I never got much patch. Are there different variations of IP? My sample is pretty old. I still haven't got my bottle from indiescents to test for differences if there are any.

Hmm strange. I never got much patch. Are there different variations of IP? My sample is pretty old. I still haven't got my bottle from indiescents to test for differences if there are any.
    I think it's been stable. I'm sampling from recent batches, and it's a loaded blend -- quite a bit of green stuff in it. It's either the orris, the myrrh, the patch, or the angelica that triggering this effect for me and I can't quite figure which one it is. I'm hit or miss with patch, depending on which kind it is, but this is a fractionation—and I have fractionated patch, which is much cleaner to me, so I'm really not sure. Whatever it is, it's vegetal / herbal.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Tabac Aurea - I have not heard much of this one before, but oh myÖ what a ride!! This is one of the more enjoyable releases from SSS. If you like pipe tobacco and/or tobacco leaf, this one is the catís meow. The comparison to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille is almost guaranteed to be made, but I think this one nails TV to a board and lets it drift away into the darkness. I always liked (but not loved) Tobacco Vanille - it was too sweet for me, too sticky, too much vanilla in the mix. I didnít like the other alternative to TV, Eau des Baux - it had strong cardamon and other kitchen spices that detracted from the fragrance. And here comes Tabac Aurea and takes the top spot, without even trying. Itís a very nice balance of sweet pipe tobacco with amber and a hint of clove, but despite the tobacco/amber combo - itís not very sweet at all. It has a resinous vibe, but itís very restrained. Overall it has a very nice tobacco/amber note, without the sticky sweetness of vanilla, which, I think, pushes it ahead of Tobacco Vanille. Complex, rich, slightly spicy, resinousÖ it is a winner. Another FBW release for me.

Tabac Aurea. The best-smelling tobacco and leather ever!...
    Wonderful writeup, remik! Thanks for the good words. Had to laugh at the above. Tabac Aurea is a great scent! Glad you liked SSS overall as much as I do.

Quick update....received the pass from Remik and will be playing with them this weekend...

Forgot to mention. I tried Incense Pure the other day and really gave it a good sniff. I got the patch on top and it rides down through the dry down of the fragrance. Funny, I never noticed it before as I was more consumed by the incense and amber (typical for me.) I'm wondering if it's not the orris, unless my nose is tricking me (this one is hard to wrap your head/nose around to be honest.) Incense Pure at a point in between the middle/base does get floral/green-vegetal...with what seems to be a hint of violet (I'm referencing the violet notes in NRodriguez) which could possibly be attributed to the orris...just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I think it's been stable. I'm sampling from recent batches, and it's a loaded blend -- quite a bit of green stuff in it. It's either the orris, the myrrh, the patch, or the angelica that triggering this effect for me and I can't quite figure which one it is. I'm hit or miss with patch, depending on which kind it is, but this is a fractionation—and I have fractionated patch, which is much cleaner to me, so I'm really not sure. Whatever it is, it's vegetal / herbal.

Forgot to mention. I tried Incense Pure the other day and really gave it a good sniff. I got the patch on top and it rides down through the dry down of the fragrance. Funny, I never noticed it before as I was more consumed by the incense and amber (typical for me.) I'm wondering if it's not the orris, unless my nose is tricking me (this one is hard to wrap your head/nose around to be honest.) Incense Pure at a point in between the middle/base does get floral/green-vegetal...with what seems to be a hint of violet (I'm referencing the violet notes in NRodriguez) which could possibly be attributed to the orris...just a thought.
    Yeah, orris is also hit or miss with me -- as is angelica. Whatever it is, there's something at work here that's green/herbal that spins it off in a weird direction. I do think it's brilliant, but I'm just not sure it's quite for me. Plenty of other stuff in this line are absolutely right for me though!

What's in Narciso Rodriquez isn't nearly as herbal smelling to my nose, but I doubt that's got a quarter of the complexity and depth of this.
    Last edited by deadidol; 28th February 2014 at 06:53 PM.

That's for sure, this on is very complex. I'm picking out new notes during each wear. I'm glad to have it in my collection as I think the herbal/green notes and light/warm sandalwood will help make this one of my "go-to" spring/summer incense fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    What's in Narciso Rodriquez isn't nearly as herbal smelling to my nose, but I doubt that's got a quarter of the complexity and depth of this.

Quote Originally Posted by kswer View Post
    Quick update....received the pass from Remik and will be playing with them this weekend...
    Cool! Look forward to your comments.

Thought you'd like to see a pic of the Sonoma Scent Studio sample pass that's circulating. Boxing it up was fun.

SSSPass.jpg

The sample pass is going out to danieq today. I will post my thoughts as soon as I can get them written up.

Quote Originally Posted by kswer View Post
    The sample pass is going out to danieq today. I will post my thoughts as soon as I can get them written up.
    Great, kwser, thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Holy smokes. I didn't realize there was a sample pass going on.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Holy smokes. I didn't realize there was a sample pass going on.
    Yes, you missed it I guess. Shall we ask OctaVarium to send on to you if there's anything left when he's done? By the way you're next on the Slumberhouse Pass. I already have your address and really hope to get it out to your tomorrow. Been struggling with health stuff, but I'm getting there.

That box looks delicious Scentfan, thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Sorry you are feeling poorly. I too am struggling with a nasty bug! So annoying when sniffing is all I want to do.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Hi!
    As it appears that there are issues with sample passes, this thread is being locked until the situation has been clarified.
    Apologies for any inconvenience.

Edit:
    Please see
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/377...tudios-Reviews
    Last edited by lpp; 18th April 2014 at 08:17 AM.