Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 175
  1. #1

    Default Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    OMG! As you folks know, Iíve been more or less systematically ordering and sniffing samples by genre or house in nasal self-education, coupled with a headlong search for olfactory bliss. Last night I got home from a trip to find in my mailbox the samples Iíd ordered of the Boutique line at Sonoma Scent Studio. Idly I opened the package as I watched TV, but the show was soon forgotten as I sniffed vial after vial and found them all not just good, but divine! So much so I couldn't CHOOSE among them. I have to own them all!

    For me, this is a first. True, I've been a perfumista all of only 4 months, but in that time Iíve stood at a LíArtisan counter and sniffed them all, at Frederick Malle, Le Labo. Creed and more. Iíve ordered complete sample sets from houses whose names Iíve seen mentioned on BN, ordered all the important jasmines I could find, all the chypres, all the incense (or at least tried). So far, Iíve never wanted ALL of anything.

    What a joy to discover these perfumes, each so accomplished it hardly matters what it is. Fig tree? Gotta have it. Rose Musc? The same. To date I've acquired 51 other FBs, niche and designer, many of which can't hold a candle to what I smelled last night. Am I alone in this or are there other SSS fans out there?

    Our noses are different, yes. Our skins sometimes love or vehemently donít love the same perfume. Surely, I canít be the only one who is head over heels for Sonoma Scents Studio. Unfortunately, my nose is persnickety. It sneezes and feels suffocated willy nilly. Not this time.

    For me, SSS is unmatched except by Slumberhouse in the overall mastery, art and integrity of its products. Actually, Sonoma exceeds Slumberhouse in that I can wear EVERY perfume in their Boutique line. I canít wear some of Slumberhouse, at least not so far. I just want all of them in my collection so I can smell genius at will.

    If you havenít already experienced these, come with me into the wonder of a great perfumerís magic:


    Rose Musc. Easily among the most appealing rose perfumes Iíve smelled. Iím collecting samples for a rose sniff, so Iíll include this and compare, but thereís no way on earth I could go without owning this. Whatís in it? Rose, ambergris, labdanum absolute, precious musks. Not only is it a beauty, it has longevity and sillage. Yet itís subtle -- so complex and delicate, it could be the definition of perfume. Itís what I expected, but didnít find, in Homage attar. Huge bravas to the designer and my long applause.

    Shucks. Must run. Back later to complete this.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    I agree with you. I think that Laurie Erickson is amazingly talented!

    I love Tabac Aurea, Ambre Noir, Incense Pure, Winter Woods and Fireside Intense. I need to try all of the others.

    These are well blended and to my nose, use quality ingredients. They have terrific longevity and just the right sillage. Excellent value for my $$$ and the fact that she makes them available in 17ml bottles is outstanding for those of us that have accumulated a lot of bottles and would never go through 30ml or more of the juice.

    I also adore Slumberhouse to the max. Everything that Josh creates is a masterpiece for me and so far, only one won't hit my skin, (Mare).

    Eric

  3. #3
    Basenotes Junkie Trilby Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    683

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    High praise indeed. I've been curious about this line so now I do plan to try it. Thanks!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    I, too, am a big fan of Laurie's fragrances. My OH owns and adores Fireside Intense, Tabac Aurea, Incense Pure, and her criminally-discontinued Original Amber.

    I own and love Winter Woods, Wood Violet, and Fig Tree. If you love Rose Musc, wait until you try Vintage Rose. That's my next FB from her collection.

    She also makes one of the few chypres I enjoy: Jour Ensoleille -- it smells like late spring in a bottle!

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    With the house having 54 scents you would think they would distribute more..
    Also about half of them are discontinued but I can't wait to get at least decants of about 5 of them..
    For some time I remember the site saying they are not selling FB'S only the 17ml and smaller sizes..
    I guess they are fine with targeting such a small audience..

    P.S.- Some of those gourmand discontinued scents sound fabulous but I guess we will never know..

  6. #6
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    I have been a fan of SSS for a while now. Champagne de Bois is probably my favorite, but all of them are really, really well done.

  7. #7
    Dependent chili_willi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    1,594

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    I am wearing Winter Woods today so good timing on this thread. While on the website I noticed one from the Naturals line that piqued my interest. Can anybody speak to Spiced Citrus Vetiver?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    I still have not tried anything from this house yet. It is on my short list though - going to be exploring this line very soon. I am hearing more and more positive things - I must make this a priority!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    So glad to know others are transported by these perfumes and can keep this house going. Back home just now, I re-sniffed Rose Musc. Amazing! I feel the same as you, evogel. With so many bottles I may never go through 30 ml of a single perfume. Initially I've ordered 5 ml of these. Then I'll order 17 ml bottles of the ones I use the most, (though if any perf makes me need 30 ml, it may be be SSS). As for Mare, I'd buy an FB if I could find one. Totally welcome, Trilby Lark. Let us know what you think. Extreme K, ordering samples of Vintage Rose and Joir Ensoleille right now! 54, Tony T? Thanks. Adding Champagne de Bois, foxbins as well Spiced Citrus Vetiver, chili_willi. Kidding myself. I know I'm going to hunt down all 54!

    Back to the sniffs. Btw, male/female labels never came to mind for any of these during my first pass.

    Fig Tree. Never in a million years did I expect my eyes to close on something called Fig Tree. The notes are: Green fig, vanilla, cedar, patchouli, tonka, musk. Hard to describe these without superlatives. The vanilla, musk and tonka tone the other potentially too-edgy elements down to create the impression of actually being in a grove of fig trees.

    Forest Walk
    . This walk is happening in the fall. There's been rain and you can smell the dank soil under a carpet of moist leaves. Mushrooms have pushed up. Moss and lichen abound. Every now and then you crunch an acorn underfoot. Ingredients? The whole darned forest. Black hemlock absolute, fir absolute, Western red cedar, oakwood absolute, galbanum resin, jasmine sambac absolute, violet, olibanum, labdanum absolute, natural oakmoss absolute, aged Indian patchouli, New Caledonia sandalwood, orris, benzoin, earthy notes. But how many perfumers could actually pull this off? Brilliant!

    Incense Pure. Good grief! (Wait till Yasmin and Walad smell this!). Frankincense and myrrh done right. Ingredients: frankincense CO2, myrrh EO, labdanum absolute, cistus oil, natural oakmoss absolute, aged Indian patchouli heartnote fraction, sandalwood, cedar, ambergris, orris, angelica root absolute, elemi EO, vanilla absolute. You'd think there were florals in here, it's so pleasant, but there aren't.

    Nostalgie. Glorious! Has the sultry richness of my favorites, Caron's Bellodgia and Bal ŗ Versailles. Eager to see what's in it. Aldehydes, Indian jasmine sambac absolute, Bulgarian rose absolute, mimosa absolute, peach, violet flower, violet leaf absolute, tonka, French beeswax absolute, natural oakmoss absolute, aged Indian patchouli, East Indian Mysore sandalwood, leather, vanilla, orris, myrrh, vetiver, and musk. So this crown is set with perfumery's jewels.

    Tabac Aurea. The best-smelling tobacco and leather ever! Notes: Cedar, sandalwood, tobacco, leather, vetiver, patchouli, clove, tonka bean, labdanum absolute, amber, vanilla, musk. I've seen these dozens of times. At last I see it's not the ingredients, but the perfumer creating and mixing them. I tend to love sandalwood, for instance. Here's it adds a touch of heaven. Maybe not so much in other fragrances I've smelled.

    To Dream. What's this beauty? Can't tell. Sandalwood for sure, subtle florals, perhaps rose, probably musk. Let's see: Violet, rose, heliotrope, cedar, amber, frankincense, oakwood absolute, vetiver, tonka, orris, vanilla, musk, sandalwood, oakmoss absolute, subtle suede, cocoa, and aldehydes. Whoa! Hat off! They blend perfectly. Sniffing these is like watching American Idol. Lots of nice singers then the winner steps up.


    Winter Woods. Wow, now the forest is almost denuded. The evergreens predominate. I smell cones, branches, bark, needles, the frozen earth. It must be the deft use of amber, sandalwood, musk and such that are adding lush richness to SSS's non-floral scents. Notes: Guaiacwood, cedar, sandalwood, birch tar, cade, oakmoss absolute, castoreum, amber, labdanum absolute, vetiver, ambergris, musk.

    There we have it. I've ordered them all. My favorites among these jewels may prove to be Nostalige and Rose Musc, but for those inclined to blind buys, you can't go wrong with any of these, IMO.



  10. #10

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    With the house having 54 scents you would think they would distribute more..
    Also about half of them are discontinued but I can't wait to get at least decants of about 5 of them..
    For some time I remember the site saying they are not selling FB'S only the 17ml and smaller sizes..
    I guess they are fine with targeting such a small audience..

    P.S.- Some of those gourmand discontinued scents sound fabulous but I guess we will never know..
    A number of the scents in the database were never official releases. I've been working with Laurie to thin some of these out, and we'll be trying to update some of the details as we go. She doesn't have 54 scents in the line up, it's about 20 or so -- all of which are listed here: http://www.sonomascentstudio.com/FragranceShop.shtml

    As far as distribution goes, this is a small artisanal line that uses a lot of natural materials—everything should be available directly through her, though so there shouldn't be too many problems purchasing anything.

    I'll be doing some featured writing on the line myself quite soon.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I still have not tried anything from this house yet. It is on my short list though - going to be exploring this line very soon. I am hearing more and more positive things - I must make this a priority!
    Suggest putting it on the shortest list you've got, dougczar. Off now, still in bliss, to order the rest of her samples.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 19th January 2014 at 07:17 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    A number of the scents in the database were never official releases. I've been working with Laurie to thin some of these out, and we'll be trying to update some of the details as we go. She doesn't have 54 scents in the line up, it's about 20 or so -- all of which are listed here: http://www.sonomascentstudio.com/FragranceShop.shtml

    As far as distribution goes, this is a small artisanal line that uses a lot of natural materials—everything should be available directly through her, though so there shouldn't be too many problems purchasing anything.

    I'll be doing some featured writing on the line myself quite soon.
    You have something to do with SSS, deadidol? I bow to you, sir. I think you also recommended House of Matriarch's Blackbird to me and it's also sublime. May I ask if you have other recommendations of scents or niche houses? [Waiting with pencil and paper at the ready]. Maybe I should just search on your name. Or perhaps you have a (um, er...blog?)

  13. #13

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Good grief! I forgot about Forest Walk -- that's my OH's favorite from SSS.

    Having worn both Norne and Forest Walk, I prefer Forest Walk -- it's gloriously hyper-realistic. You're right in saying she bottled the whole damn forest. When I wear Norne, the bottom/base of it shockingly falls out; about 2 hours in, it feels as though it loses its structure completely. Nothing remotely like that happens with Forest Walk, at least on me.

    I also forgot that I own Voile de Violette, which is an utterly lovely cool, green, wet violet. It's as if Forest Walk was tamed and transformed into an early spring garden of violets.

    I so wish Laurie would bring back Femme Jolie and Opal. Sigh.

    Oh, Scentfan, Vintage Rose was re-formulated and re-named: it's now Rose Volupte -- and it's wonderful. Less powdery, more baroque-ambery than the original.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 19th January 2014 at 07:31 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    You have something to do with SSS, deadidol? I bow to you, sir. I think you also recommended House of Matriarch's Blackbird to me and it's also sublime. May I ask if you have other recommendations of scents or niche houses? [Waiting with pencil and paper at the ready]. Maybe I should just search on your name. Or perhaps you have a (um, er...blog?)
    I'm little more than a proponent of the west coast indie scene as I find several of these lines to be far more exciting and passionate that anything the "industry" has to offer. As far as writing goes, I've got a few things up my sleeve The database for SSS is kind of a mess, so we've been trying to edit down and make it a little more representative of the current line-up. Also, there'll be some new offerings from Laurie coming soon.

    If you haven't tried Phoenicia yet, he has a couple that are quite interesting, albeit a little more challenging.

  15. #15
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    7,946
    Blog Entries
    97

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    I've just ordered a boatload of samples. Wish me luck.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    If you haven't tried Phoenicia yet, he has a couple that are quite interesting, albeit a little more challenging.
    Okay, Phoenicia! Got it. Trotting over. [Breathe, ScentFan, breathe!]


    Big thanks, ExtremeK. I was just writing to her anxiously seeking the unlisted Vintage Rose. Must compare Forest Walk and Norne. Let me do it now. Well, I adore them both, actually, for different reasons. Forest Walk is fresh and so realistic. Norne is just hynoptic. Taking your word on the drydown till I get to wear them both.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I've just ordered a boatload of samples. Wish me luck.
    You're about to fall head over heels, kumquat! If not, I'll eat my pixels.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    I've got a few thoughts on Phoenicia here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...cussion-Thread

    You might also want to look at O'Driķ and Bogue Profumo. O'Driķ have a very artistic aesthetic—largely perfomative. Bogue has only released a couple of things so far, but trust me, he's a guy to watch very closely. With that said, back to Sonoma Scent Studios!

  19. #19
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East of The Mississippi
    Posts
    76,818

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Although personally don't own any, have friends who do and have high praise for them.

    (3152)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  20. #20
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    7,946
    Blog Entries
    97

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    It wasn't too bad. I got about 7 plus a free one for $33 (shipping incl).

  21. #21

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    So glad to know others are transported by these perfumes and can keep this house going. Back home just now, I re-sniffed Rose Musc. Amazing! I feel the same as you, evogel. With so many bottles I may never go through 30 ml of a single perfume. Initially I've ordered 5 ml of these. Then I'll order 17 ml bottles of the ones I use the most, (though if any perf makes me need 30 ml, it may be be SSS). As for Mare, I'd buy an FB if I could find one. Totally welcome, Trilby Lark. Let us know what you think. Extreme K, ordering samples of Vintage Rose and Joir Ensoleille right now! 54, Tony T? Thanks. Adding Champagne de Bois, foxbins as well Spiced Citrus Vetiver, chili_willi. Kidding myself. I know I'm going to hunt down all 54!

    Back to the sniffs. Btw, male/female labels never came to mind for any of these during my first pass.

    Fig Tree. Never in a million years did I expect my eyes to close on something called Fig Tree. The notes are: Green fig, vanilla, cedar, patchouli, tonka, musk. Hard to describe these without superlatives. The vanilla, musk and tonka tone the other potentially too-edgy elements down to create the impression of actually being in a grove of fig trees.

    Forest Walk
    . This walk is happening in the fall. There's been rain and you can smell the dank soil under a carpet of moist leaves. Mushrooms have pushed up. Moss and lichen abound. Every now and then you crunch an acorn underfoot. Ingredients? The whole darned forest. Black hemlock absolute, fir absolute, Western red cedar, oakwood absolute, galbanum resin, jasmine sambac absolute, violet, olibanum, labdanum absolute, natural oakmoss absolute, aged Indian patchouli, New Caledonia sandalwood, orris, benzoin, earthy notes. But how many perfumers could actually pull this off? Brilliant!

    Incense Pure. Good grief! (Wait till Yasmin and Walad smell this!). Frankincense and myrrh done right. Ingredients: frankincense CO2, myrrh EO, labdanum absolute, cistus oil, natural oakmoss absolute, aged Indian patchouli heartnote fraction, sandalwood, cedar, ambergris, orris, angelica root absolute, elemi EO, vanilla absolute. You'd think there were florals in here, it's so pleasant, but there aren't.

    Nostalgie. Glorious! Has the sultry richness of my favorites, Caron's Bellodgia and Bal ŗ Versailles. Eager to see what's in it. Aldehydes, Indian jasmine sambac absolute, Bulgarian rose absolute, mimosa absolute, peach, violet flower, violet leaf absolute, tonka, French beeswax absolute, natural oakmoss absolute, aged Indian patchouli, East Indian Mysore sandalwood, leather, vanilla, orris, myrrh, vetiver, and musk. So this crown is set with perfumery's jewels.

    Tabac Aurea. The best-smelling tobacco and leather ever! Notes: Cedar, sandalwood, tobacco, leather, vetiver, patchouli, clove, tonka bean, labdanum absolute, amber, vanilla, musk. I've seen these dozens of times. At last I see it's not the ingredients, but the perfumer creating and mixing them. I tend to love sandalwood, for instance. Here's it adds a touch of heaven. Maybe not so much in other fragrances I've smelled.

    To Dream. What's this beauty? Can't tell. Sandalwood for sure, subtle florals, perhaps rose, probably musk. Let's see: Violet, rose, heliotrope, cedar, amber, frankincense, oakwood absolute, vetiver, tonka, orris, vanilla, musk, sandalwood, oakmoss absolute, subtle suede, cocoa, and aldehydes. Whoa! Hat off! They blend perfectly. Sniffing these is like watching American Idol. Lots of nice singers then the winner steps up.


    Winter Woods. Wow, now the forest is almost denuded. The evergreens predominate. I smell cones, branches, bark, needles, the frozen earth. It must be the deft use of amber, sandalwood, musk and such that are adding lush richness to SSS's non-floral scents. Notes: Guaiacwood, cedar, sandalwood, birch tar, cade, oakmoss absolute, castoreum, amber, labdanum absolute, vetiver, ambergris, musk.

    There we have it. I've ordered them all. My favorites among these jewels may prove to be Nostalige and Rose Musc, but for those inclined to blind buys, you can't go wrong with any of these, IMO.



    Compliments, really, great contribution, i'm waiting to receive some SSS's samples, ordered a bunch via Surrender to Change and entered as address the one of a dear friend of mine which lives near New York, they do not ship to Italy, i will have the samples when my friend comes back to Italy the next time, i'm looking forward, I've tested in the past Tabac Aurea.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Although personally don't own any, have friends who do and have high praise for them.

    (3152)
    Very good to know. Makes me feel saner for going insane over SSS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Compliments, really, great contribution, i'm waiting to receive some SSS's samples, ordered a bunch via Surrender to Change and entered as address the one of a dear friend of mine which lives near New York, they do not ship to Italy, i will have the samples when my friend comes back to Italy the next time, i'm looking forward, I've tested in the past Tabac Aurea.
    High praise I'm not sure I deserve compared to your reviews which I so admire. Thanks!

  23. #23

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Are some too feminine? Interested in ordering a few samples from your write-up, thank you!

  24. #24
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,624
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    I have been a fan of SSS for a while now. Champagne de Bois is probably my favorite, but all of them are really, really well done.
    Plus one!

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    As far as distribution goes, this is a small artisanal line that uses a lot of natural materials—everything should be available directly through her, though so there shouldn't be too many problems purchasing anything.
    Please can you talk Laurie into shipping to the UK? So far l've had to get mine from STC, which is much more expensive! Other US -based companies have found a way to do it...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Please can you talk Laurie into shipping to the UK? So far l've had to get mine from STC, which is much more expensive! Other US -based companies have found a way to do it...
    The problem, it seems, is the legalities of shipping. The US post forbids the shipping of perfume in such a way, and other indies that do so are often doing it at their own risk. The UK is one of the worst to ship out of, and Italy is one of the worst to ship into. Getting distribution is the key, so give Roullier White a ring and tell them to pick up the line

  26. #26
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,624
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Thanks deadidol, l might just do that!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    Are some too feminine? Interested in ordering a few samples from your write-up, thank you!
    The only ones that might be are Rose Musc, Nostalgie and To Dream, but I'm thinking there are plenty of guys who'd enjoy these, too. If you wear FM's Une Rose, for instance, you can probably also wear Rose Musc.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Thanks deadidol, l might just do that!
    There is another option (more expensive):
    http://www.shipito.com/usa-address-mail-forwarding/
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

  29. #29
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,695

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    I've been meaning to try this house forever (and by forever I mean like a year). I've heard great things about Incense Pure, Winter Woods, Tabac Aurea, and one of the ambers from her. I may blind buy one or two at some point, but IDK. I don't know if it is worth ordering all the samples, unless there is a deal somewhere.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  30. #30

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Sonoma Scent Studio sounds intriguing. Are these provided as rather concentrated extraits? Do they last and project more like perfumes than your typical eau de toilette?

  31. #31

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Sonoma Scent Studio sounds intriguing. Are these provided as rather concentrated extraits? Do they last and project more like perfumes than your typical eau de toilette?
    Hi, cytherian. I'm under the impression they're perfumes. Turning in wearing Nostalgie. When I first put it on, my guy said he could smell it across the room and this was from dabbing. I wouldn't go so far as to call them projection or longevity monsters, but they're more than EdTs.

    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I've been meaning to try this house forever (and by forever I mean like a year). I've heard great things about Incense Pure, Winter Woods, Tabac Aurea, and one of the ambers from her. I may blind buy one or two at some point, but IDK. I don't know if it is worth ordering all the samples, unless there is a deal somewhere.
    I stopped doing blind buys after my first couple didn't work out, (though I almost ordered SSS's Rose Volupte blind today based on ExtremeK's recommendation). I don't know of any deals on the samples, except most are $3.50 for 1 ml on the website. When my 5 ml arrive, though, I'm happy to do a sample pass. Definitely wouldn't want this lady to run out of customers.

  32. #32

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Are these provided as rather concentrated extraits? Do they last and project more like perfumes than your typical eau de toilette?
    Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to call them projection or longevity monsters, but they're more than EdTs.
    They're extrait strength (20-24%), but contain a good stock of naturals, so they're more tasteful and considerate than uber-loud "projection/attention monsters." High longevity, respectful projection and sillage.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Good to hear it, scentfan. Given the cost per ml, sounds like a good value. Given your broad exposure to so many fragrances and your extreme enthusiasm for Sonoma Scent fragrances, I'm definitely intrigued.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Thanks, deadidol. All the Phoenicia samples ordered from Indigo.

    Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Good to hear it, scentfan. Given the cost per ml, sounds like a good value. Given your broad exposure to so many fragrances and your extreme enthusiasm for Sonoma Scent fragrances, I'm definitely intrigued.
    Put my order in yesterday for 1 ml samples of the unsniffed SSS, 5 ml of the sniffed ones, except 17 ml of Nostalgie and Rose Musc. Having severe withdrawal symptoms waiting.

  35. #35
    Dependent danieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southeastern Arizona
    Posts
    2,012

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    This house is definitely on my 'to test' list! Thank you for sharing your thoughts Scentfan. If you do a pass, please count me in! I'm very intrigued, particularly by Rse Musc (Volupte now) and Forest Walk!

  36. #36

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    *sulks about her inability to get to sniff any of these*
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

  37. #37

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Hallelujah ..Sweet Anthem and Indie Scents both ship to my country :-)

    But not sure of the price difference in the two,maybe due to bottle size which am not able to view due to surfing on mobile ...

    They are mentioned in the SSS page under Retailers

    Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

  38. #38

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    This house is definitely on my 'to test' list! Thank you for sharing your thoughts Scentfan. If you do a pass, please count me in! I'm very intrigued, particularly by Rse Musc (Volupte now) and Forest Walk!
    +1 Count me in -- I would be most eager to participate!

  39. #39

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    *sulks about her inability to get to sniff any of these*
    +1

    Forest Walk, Winter Woods, Fireside Intense... The name is enough to make me dream...
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

  40. #40

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    I've found that projection/sillage varies by fragrance and type of application: spraying of course increases it quite a bit. For Winter Woods, Fig Tree, and Voile de Violette, much more than 2 sprays will result in a LOT of presence; Wood Violet doesn't project as much on me as these others, even sprayed. My SO only wears one spray to his upper chest for all of the SSS fragrances he owns, and the sillage from that one spray suffices to perfume his whole office, even late into the afternoon. But it's the longevity of Laurie's fragrances that I find so impressive. Even Voile de Violette, which is probably one of the softer fragrances in the line, lasts more than 24 hours on me.

    Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    I stopped doing blind buys after my first couple didn't work out, (though I almost ordered SSS's Rose Volupte blind today based on ExtremeK's recommendation).
    Then I really hope you love it, too!

  41. #41

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    +1

    Forest Walk, Winter Woods, Fireside Intense... The name is enough to make me dream...

    sfmedusa and iodine, I'm really bummed about those in Europe who can't sniff these lovely perfumes. Surely we can think of something.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    This house is definitely on my 'to test' list! Thank you for sharing your thoughts Scentfan. If you do a pass, please count me in! I'm very intrigued, particularly by Rse Musc (Volupte now) and Forest Walk!
    Probably will, danieq.

  43. #43

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    @Scentfan- Thank you for bringing this line to my attention with your title! This house had been under my radar, just ordered 6 samples from them, can't wait to try them.

    The list:
    Forest Walk
    Tabac Aurea
    Ambre Noir
    Incense Pure
    Winter Woods
    Fireside Intense
    Fig Tree
    Last edited by rouj; 24th January 2014 at 04:12 PM.

  44. #44

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    @Scentfan- Thank you for bringing this line to my attention with your title! This house had been under my radar, just ordered 6 samples from them, can't wait to try them.

    The list:
    Forest Walk
    Tabac Aurea
    Ambre Noir
    Incense Pure
    Winter Woods
    Fireside Intense
    Fig Tree
    Hope you enjoy them. I'm a goner for SSS and waiting excitedly for the rest of her samples, having ordered all these scents.

  45. #45

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    I'm glad to see this house thriving and getting more attention. I tested quite a few of them early in my perfumista days and have a couple of bottles. Laurie has her signature, just like Andy Tauer does, and it runs through the line. I like Laurie signature more than Andy's and I think her deep woodsy fragrances are terrific, and many of her offerings lean to the masculine side, no dainty florals here! As other have confirmed, this stuff is potent and the projecting is huge. You should consider dabbing instead of spraying.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

  46. #46

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Happy, Happy Day! My Sonoma Scent Studio purchases arrived, along with samples of the unbought-because-unsiffed ones. Will do a major sniff tomorrow, but let me try just one quick one, Rose Voluptť. My heart's actually speeding up in anticipation. Uh-oh I've been sniffing incense.

    [Coffee Beans]

    [Coffee Beans]

    Okay, here we go: Ohhhhh! Somebody give this lady a medal! This actually smells like it's a relative of L'heure Bleue! Fewer indoles. A bit more ... what is that? Oh it's woods, of course. Looking it up: Rose, plum, amber, labdanum absolute, sandalwood, cedar, vetiver, heliotrope, clove, cinnamon, oakmoss, subtle aldehydes.. Technically, you could almost say it's a floral oriental chypre, given the labdanum, amber and oakmoss, plum substituting for the citrus. The rose note is goooorrrgeous! It deserves Voluptť behind it in the name.

    Wow, at this rate I fully expect to love every single SSS perfume.

    Until tomorrow.

    p.s. Looking up L'heure Bleue's notes. They share: rose, clove, vetiver, sandalwood, heliotrope, oakmoss. Second cousins, once removed. LhB has citrus and a lot more florals, also vanilla.

    Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    I'm glad to see this house thriving and getting more attention. I tested quite a few of them early in my perfumista days and have a couple of bottles. Laurie has her signature, just like Andy Tauer does, and it runs through the line. I like Laurie signature more than Andy's and I think her deep woodsy fragrances are terrific, and many of her offerings lean to the masculine side, no dainty florals here! As other have confirmed, this stuff is potent and the projecting is huge. You should consider dabbing instead of spraying.
    Yep, furrypine. So far, a few dabs do just fine.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 28th January 2014 at 05:46 AM.

  47. #47

  48. #48

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    ScentFan..... why, must, you, make, me, salivate.... Now I feel like I have to order a bunch more samples!! Curse you.
    I know, I know! It's terrible. I mean, it's absolutely wonderful! So exciting to discover such a talented designer. Back to the sniffs.

  49. #49

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Well, I suppose I should eat. Nah! It's only food. Grabbing the first new sample at hand.


    Velvet Rose. (This time I'm going to be sensible.) Sniff. Forget it. It's lovely. If velvet has a smell, this is it. But I am starving. Better continue later.

    p.s. I got a cold! I never have colds. All sniffs postponed.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 29th January 2014 at 04:11 AM.

  50. #50

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Now that my nose is working, back to Sonoma Scent Studio. To recap, my response to the SSS Boutique line was to buy them all. Continuing:

    Sonoma Exclusives:

    Ambre Noir. Intoxicating blend of ... trying to think while smelling gorgeousness... Cedar, Sandalwood, Amber, Incense? Giving up: Notes are: abdanum absolute, amber, rose, olibanum, myrrh, vetiver codistilled with mitti (clay), oakmoss absolute, aged Indian patchouli, texas cedarwood, sandalwood, castoreum [Hey, you're getting better at this, ScentFan olibanum is frankincense]. It goes over in the incense thread for Yasmin to try.]

    Champagne de Bois. Aldehydes, Jasmine, Clove, Sandalwood, Labdanum, Vetiver and Amber. Who knew they'd actually smell like champagne-soaked wood. Another must-have beauty.

    Fireside Incense. Think of a fireplace with still-glowing embers or a forest the day after a fire, a censer burning oud and such nearby. To me it's a warm, comforting strong scent. Not one I'd wear, but one I'd enjoy smelling. Notes: guaiacwood, nagarmotha (Cyperus), Texas cedar, Himalayan cedar, Indian sandalwood, agarwood, birch tar, cade, leather, oakmoss absolute, castoreum, ambergris.

    [Coffee Beans]

    [Coffee Beans]

    Jour Ensoleille
    . Beautiful! It's a geniune foral chypre (citrus, labdanum, oak moss) that blooms on the skin and reeks of yummy oakmoss. Notes: orange blossom, tuberose, jasmine grandiflorum, labdanum absolute, myrrh, sandalwood, ambergris, vetiver, green leaves, oakmoss absolute. Must buy.

    Lieu de Reves. Fabulous! Heliotrope, violet, rose, jasmine, cedar, amber, vetiver, tonka, orris, vanilla, musk, very soft aldehydes. First I smell the florals, then cedar and vetiver. Amber and musks thrum beneath then. On my skin it takes my breath away. I recognize the heliotrope, also present in FM's En Passant that I wore yesterday. Yet another must buy.

    Sienna Musk.
    A very interesting fragrance whose notes I can't place. Looking them up: musk, sandalwood, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, clove, mandarin, cedar, and cypress. Ah, it's more of a gourmand and I'm not really into those (exception Slumberhouse's). Sienna Musk manages to smell like a combination spice shop/bakery you want to return to because of the clerk who wears a great musky perfume.

    Velvet Rose.
    Rose and violets, I'm guessing in an enchanting fragrance. The notes are: Damask rose, bergamot, carnation, violet leaf, musk, patchouli. Okay, a must buy.

    Viole de Violette. This is getting boring, but what a way to be bored. Another glorious, must-buy creation and I don't even love violet that much. This, I do. Notes: violet, iris, hint of rose, cedar, vetiver, violet leaf, tonka bean, hay, myrrh.

    Wood Violet. Just as good as the previous one, maybe better for those who really enjoy woods. Here the cedar is amped up and sandalwood is added, but cedar's astringency is somehow contained by the other notes. Violet, plum, cedar, cinnamon. clove, sandalwood, violet leaf, musk. I know it will find its way into my house.


    Sonoma Naturals:

    Amber Incense. Somehow I've managed not to have a sample of this!

    Spiced Citrus Vetiver. If you're into spice and vetiver, you're gonna love this. It's not my thing, but this is certainly agreeable. Notes: blood orange, vetiver, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, jasmine sambac, osmanthus, sandalwood, virginia cedar and vanilla.

    Cocoa Sandalwood. Not a fan. I do love sandalwood and can't live without chocolate, but putting them together doesn't work for me in this scent. Notes: cacao, coffee, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, peach, rose, virginian cedar, sandalwood, ambrette (musk mallow) and vanilla

    In conclusion, Laurie Erickson at Sonoma Scent Studio is one gifted perfume designer. I'll gladly empty (okay, re-empty) my purse for these. The only ones I'm not acquiring are the Naturals, Fireside Incense and Sierra Musk. Yet I'm sure they're at the top of others' lists.

    Since Sonoma has an entry level 5 ml purse spray, the wisest course may be to skip the sampling and go right for the spray if any of these sound particularly intriguing. I doubt you'll regret a blind buy of a larger size, either. As for me, don't know which I'll buy as purse sprays and which as larger FBs so I can spray them all over my happy skin.

    I just know I'll always have multiple SSSs in my collection.

    p.s. I'd love to read others' impressions of these amazing scents.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 3rd February 2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: fix scent name

  51. #51

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Amber Noir. Intoxicating blend of ... trying to think while smelling gorgeousness... Cedar, Sandalwood, Amber, Incense? Giving up: Notes are: abdanum absolute, amber, rose, olibanum, myrrh, vetiver codistilled with mitti (clay), oakmoss absolute, aged Indian patchouli, texas cedarwood, sandalwood, castoreum [Hey, you're getting better at this, ScentFan olibanum is frankincense]. It goes over in the incense thread for Yasmin to try.]
    Out of the samples I got, this is the only one that I really loved, and it is VERY nice. Your description is a good one, very smooth, not sharp, warm. Definitely going to look into a bottle of this, wearing Ambre 114 to compare the two, and SSS is outstanding.

    ScentFan, have you noticed a certain sour note in many of her fragrances? Not sure what it is, but first noticed it in Forest Walk, found it in several of her scents. Also, Tabac Aurea is one of the top tobacco scents, and if I didn't already have TF TV and Jeke, I'd pick this one up as well. Really nice

  52. #52

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    Out of the samples I got, this is the only one that I really loved, and it is VERY nice. Your description is a good one, very smooth, not sharp, warm. Definitely going to look into a bottle of this, wearing Ambre 114 to compare the two, and SSS is outstanding.

    ScentFan, have you noticed a certain sour note in many of her fragrances? Not sure what it is, but first noticed it in Forest Walk, found it in several of her scents. Also, Tabac Aurea is one of the top tobacco scents, and if I didn't already have TF TV and Jeke, I'd pick this one up as well. Really nice
    SSS Ambre Noir is exciting, isn't it? No, I didn't detect anything sour or I would have mentioned it, but it will be interesting to try to unearth the note you're smelling. TF TV = Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille? I got samples of his private blend and was so disappointed I gave them away without reviewing them. The only one that really appealed was Santal Blush. By a miscommunication with my OH, I own TF Jasmin Rouge and now wish I didn't. TF Amber Absolute is good, though. Jeke is unsurpassed, IMO.

  53. #53

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    ScentFan, have you noticed a certain sour note in many of her fragrances? Not sure what it is, but first noticed it in Forest Walk, found it in several of her scents.
    Ambre Noir has a dominant rose note that comes across as quite bitter. Perhaps that's the sourness you're referring to?

  54. #54

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Winter woods sounds fantastic!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  55. #55

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    SSS Sample Pass?

    I'm happy to share my samples with anyone interested in a sample pass. Given that these are extraits and a little dab will do ya, we can probably accommodate five on a 1 ml sample? Sound right? Let me know if you want in.

  56. #56
    Basenotes Plus
    remik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,651

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Sign me up! :-)

  57. #57
    Basenotes Junkie kswer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    843

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    I'm in.

  58. #58
    Dependent danieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southeastern Arizona
    Posts
    2,012

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Me me meeeee!

  59. #59
    Basenotes Member Linsul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    48

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    Beautiful reviews! I need 3 after reading, so another sample order for me

    Jour Ensoleillť

    Velvet Rose (I LOVE Bergamot and Rose together!)

    Fig Tree

  60. #60

    Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

    I would love to participate! This house sounds really intriguing.

Similar Threads

  1. Sonoma Scent Studio
    By pawful in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2nd May 2012, 03:54 PM
  2. Sonoma Scent Studio
    By Lessa in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 13th April 2011, 11:33 AM
  3. Sonoma Scent Studio/Profumum/MOR
    By Jemimagold in forum No longer missing fragrances
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th June 2008, 11:13 PM
  4. sonoma scent studio
    By supermarky in forum Missing Fragrances List
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st September 2006, 09:02 AM
  5. Sonoma Scent Studio?
    By Elf in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30th July 2006, 06:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •