Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Incredible! - Sonoma Scent Studio

Every time I sniff Winter Woods I get images of a cabin with a fireplace billowing pure white smoke in the dead of winter. The cabin albeit a place of comfort is surrounded by deep snow and an unforgiving barren forest...Winter Woods smells like a combination of the cozy, isolated cabin's wood structure, the clean smoke from the fireplace, a pile of split cedar that's ready for the wood burning stove and an old smokey leather saddle that lies in the corner along with a soft amber that drifts throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Every time I sniff Winter Woods I get images of a cabin with a fireplace billowing pure white smoke in the dead of winter. The cabin albeit a place of comfort is surrounded by deep snow and an unforgiving barren forest...Winter Woods smells like a combination of the cozy, isolated cabin's wood structure, the clean smoke from the fireplace, a pile of split cedar that's ready for the wood burning stove and an old smokey leather saddle that lies in the corner along with a soft amber that drifts throughout.
    What a beautiful description, rynegne - it's definitely sounding like one to experience soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    SSS Sample Pass?

I'm happy to share my samples with anyone interested in a sample pass. Given that these are extraits and a little dab will do ya, we can probably accommodate five on a 1 ml sample? Sound right? Let me know if you want in.
    I'm in too, was going to share my samples with people on this thread as well. ScentFan, if you like, I can send any to you that you haven't smelled yet that interest you, the ones I ordered are:Forest Walk, Tabac Aurea, Ambre Noir, Incense Pure, Winter Woods, Fireside Intense, Fig Tree. Though I think you've smelled them all.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Ambre Noir has a dominant rose note that comes across as quite bitter. Perhaps that's the sourness you're referring to?
    Could be DI, not sure though... I've smelled it in several of her fragrances, a little bitterness that I don't enjoy. And she also often uses amber which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    I'm in too, was going to share my samples with people on this thread as well. ScentFan, if you like, I can send any to you that you haven't smelled yet that interest you, the ones I ordered are:Forest Walk, Tabac Aurea, Ambre Noir, Incense Pure, Winter Woods, Fireside Intense, Fig Tree. Though I think you've smelled them all.
    Great, rouj. Why don't I start the pass with you and then you can top off any that are low? I have them all except Cameo and Ambre Incense, which I've asked for with my last order. What did you think of those you tried?

Lovely decription, rynegne. Evokes the smell beautifully.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 6th February 2014 at 01:19 AM.

Great, rouj. Why don't I start the pass with you and then you can top off any that are low? I have them all except Cameo and Ambre Incense, which I've asked for with my last order. What did you think of those you tried?
    I liked them, but found they lacked something... and that sour/bitter note I was picking up turned me off to the overall esthetic. I'll pass on receiving, but would be happy to contribute!

SSS Sample Pass Order

Since rouj might be contributing, let's start the Sonoma Scent Studio Sample Pass with him, then continue in the order of volunteering.

rouj
    remik
    kswer
    danieq
    cytherian

Did I miss anyone? Rouj, please PM me your address. Everyone else, PM your address to the person ahead of you in line. I should be able to get these in the mail tomorrow, Friday at the latest. Will let you know when they're on the way. Take the time you need to sample them, being mindful of those eagerly waiting.

I love these perfumes and I hope you enjoy them. Share your own sniff impressions with us here. Looking forward to reading them.

Basenotes Plus

AWESOME! Thank you, ScentFan and rouj, for starting this pass. I'm so looking forward to this line - all your descriptions have been just mouth watering. ;-)

I liked them, but found they lacked something... and that sour/bitter note I was picking up turned me off to the overall esthetic. I'll pass on receiving, but would be happy to contribute!
    Oh, our posts crossed. I thought you said you wanted in? Haven't had time to fully explore your comment. I did sniff a couple and may have detected what comes across to you as sour. Need to re-sniff and focus to be sure. To me, most of these are quite beautiful. However, we mustn't forget how unique we can be when it comes to scent. I've also not been pleased with scents many others enjoy. Often it just means what we already know -- people are different.

Let me know if you want to stay in the pass, as described.

I admit that I am *highly* sensitive to any but the dirtiest of musks, but I do get a sour note in some of her more musk-heavy fragrances, especially Sienna Musk, which I cannot wear. I sometimes get it in Wood Violet, so even though I really like it and have a 17ml bottle, I'm bit leary of it and have to choose the days I wear it very carefully. Voile de Violette is stunning, though, and I can wear that with utter abandon.

Interestingly, I got a similar sharp note -- but not the same sour note -- in Cocoa Sandalwood, but musk isn't a listed note. I sometimes wonder if one of the sandalwoods she uses produces it.

Her amber-heavy fragrances are wonderful, although I struggle with Ambre Noir, for some reason.

I seem to have no problem with her cedar-heavy fragrances, though. My absolute favorites for me are Winter Woods, Rose Volupte, and Voile de Violette, and Fig Tree, when I'm in the mood for fig. My favorites on my OH are Fireside Intense, Tabac Aurea (which I would steal in a heartbeat and make my own), and Forest Walk.

rynegne, your description of Winter Woods is spot on! Wonderful!
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 6th February 2014 at 03:12 AM.

Oh, our posts crossed. I thought you said you wanted in? Haven't had time to fully explore your comment. I did sniff a couple and may have detected what comes across to you as sour. Need to re-sniff and focus to be sure. To me, most of these are quite beautiful. However, we mustn't forget how unique we can be when it comes to scent. I've also not been pleased with scents many others enjoy. Often it just means what we already know -- people are different.

Let me know if you want to stay in the pass, as described.
    Sorry about that, I meant I'll be a part as a contributor, however I think that likely won't work given how these things go. If they run out along the way, I can send what I have to whoever is next in line, I have samples all only dabbed once, with Forest Walk being a 3ml spray to give it a fair shake. As for the scent itself, they are all very nice. But I have ones that I prefer that are similar (Jeke over Tabac, Norne over Forest Walk), with maybe Amber Noir being one I'll pick up. That fragrance is smooth and oh so nice. Love to spread the love though, so if mine can be useful along the line please shoot me a PM

Sorry about that, I meant I'll be a part as a contributor, however I think that likely won't work given how these things go. If they run out along the way, I can send what I have to whoever is next in line, I have samples all only dabbed once, with Forest Walk being a 3ml spray to give it a fair shake. As for the scent itself, they are all very nice. But I have ones that I prefer that are similar (Jeke over Tabac, Norne over Forest Walk), with maybe Amber Noir being one I'll pick up. That fragrance is smooth and oh so nice. Love to spread the love though, so if mine can be useful along the line please shoot me a PM
    Well, when you put it like that, I prefer Jeke over everything but Bal à Versailles, prefer Norne over anything similar. To me, SSS is an equally excellent line to Slumberhouse, just ... different. Will keep plugging until I have the perfume vocabulary and awareness to describe the difference. For now, I swoon and buy.

It's to pricey for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fragrance123 View Post
    It's to pricey for me.
    I hear ya. Niche perfumes cost more because they tend to have better (sometimes unique) ingredients, but these houses can't produce the volume needed for a low price, especially when it's just one person. In this case, SSS costs about twice per ml what you can buy a Guerlain or Montale for. Good that they offer 5 ml purse sprays for about $15.

One more for the sample pass?

And thanks, rouj, for the offer.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 6th February 2014 at 03:59 PM.

Yes, thanks to ScentFan for starting this pass. I got a whiff of Tabac Aurea and was impressed. I am looking forward to experiencing the others discussed here.

Quote Originally Posted by kswer View Post
    Yes, thanks to ScentFan for starting this pass. I got a whiff of Tabac Aurea and was impressed. I am looking forward to experiencing the others discussed here.

Very welcome. You're on the list, kswer. Hmm, since it's 1 ml, maybe we should stop at four.

Very welcome. You're on the list, kswer. Hmm, since it's 1 ml, maybe we should stop at four.
    I'd stop at one. These scents are excellent and deserve full wearings to give them their deserved respect. I personally find sample passes better suited for trashy scents or things that don't have much complexity or depth. So perhaps keep in mind that a sniff from the vial, a dab onto a wrist, (or worse), a testing strip will be producing different results from what the perfumer intended and from scents such as these offer.

I'd stop at one. These scents are excellent and deserve full wearings to give them their deserved respect. I personally find sample passes better suited for trashy scents or things that don't have much complexity or depth. So perhaps keep in mind that a sniff from the vial, a dab onto a wrist, (or worse), a testing strip will be producing different results from what the perfumer intended and from scents such as these offer.

I don't wear more than a dab or two of these, they're so substantial. But, everyone keep deadidol's comment in mind. This is just to give you an impression of these scents.

Remik, would you PM me your address? I'm going to wait to start the pass until my second order arrives so I can top off the vials.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    I admit that I am *highly* sensitive to any but the dirtiest of musks, but I do get a sour note in some of her more musk-heavy fragrances, especially Sienna Musk, which I cannot wear. I sometimes get it in Wood Violet, so even though I really like it and have a 17ml bottle, I'm bit leary of it and have to choose the days I wear it very carefully. Voile de Violette is stunning, though, and I can wear that with utter abandon.

Interestingly, I got a similar sharp note -- but not the same sour note -- in Cocoa Sandalwood, but musk isn't a listed note. I sometimes wonder if one of the sandalwoods she uses produces it.

Her amber-heavy fragrances are wonderful, although I struggle with Ambre Noir, for some reason.

I seem to have no problem with her cedar-heavy fragrances, though. My absolute favorites for me are Winter Woods, Rose Volupte, and Voile de Violette, and Fig Tree, when I'm in the mood for fig. My favorites on my OH are Fireside Intense, Tabac Aurea (which I would steal in a heartbeat and make my own), and Forest Walk.

rynegne, your description of Winter Woods is spot on! Wonderful!
    Sounds like you're onto something because Sienna Musk, Wood Violet and Cocoa Sandalwood are among those I like less. Like you, I do love Rose Volupte and Voile de Violette (also Champagne de Bois, Jour Ensoleille, Lieu de Reves, Rose Musc, and Velvet Rose). Bought bottles of them all. As I continue my sniffs, I'll be surprised to find another house with so many fragrances I want to wear.

Start of Sample Pass

In three plastic pouches, boxed and ready to ship are 1 ml vials of the following:

Sonoma Boutique
    : Fig tree, Forest Walk, Incense Pure, Nostalgie, Rose Musc, Tabac Aurea, To Dream, Winter Woods
    Sonoma Exclusives: Ambre Noir, Champagne de Bois, Fireside Intense, Jour Ensoleillé, Lieu de Reves, Rose Volupté, Sienna Musk, Velvet Rose, Voile de Violette, Wood Violet.
    Sonoma Naturals: Spiced Citrus Vetiver, Cocoa Sandalwood
    By Request: Cameo

We have five participants in the pass:

remik
    kswer
    danieq
    cytherian
    OctaVariuM

Remik, I'll get it off to you tomorrow. Everyone else, please PM your mailing address to the person ahead of you on the list. I hope you enjoy these remarkable scents. I've added several to my collection and look forward to your reviews.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 13th February 2014 at 04:00 AM.

Ive recently tried 3 from this house and liked them all very much.
    Incense Pure--a very natural, woodsy incense smell that lasts all day
    Tabac Aurea--a not so sweet (as the Tom Ford) tobacco + vanilla combo. I adored this one, but it doesn't last quite as long as the Incense; and
    Winter Woods--a lovely cedar with a delicious amber-y dry down and good length

All three are office friendly, in the sense that they don't project loudly. All three are winners. The cool thing is, SSS offers smaller format bottles, so people like me can get a bottle of each and don't have to shoot the fragrance budget on just one bottle.

Just got my 7 samples today, I'm already wearing perfume though....but it's been 6-ish hours and I could use a shower. I should wash my hair and start over today with glorious newness.

Looking forward to this! Thanks again ScentFan!
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Start of Sample Pass

In three plastic pouches, boxed and ready to ship are 1 ml vials of the following:

Sonoma Boutique
    : Fig tree, Forest Walk, Incense Pure, Nostalgie, Rose Musc, Tabac Aurea, To Dream, Winter Woods
    Sonoma Exclusives: Ambre Noir, Champagne de Bois, Fireside Intense, Jour Ensoleillé, Lieu de Reves, Rose Volupté, Sienna Musk, Velvet Rose, Voile de Violette, Wood Violet.
    Sonoma Naturals: Spiced Citrus Vetiver, Cocoa Sandalwood
    By Request: Cameo

We have five participants in the pass:

remik
    kswer
    danieq
    cytherian
    OctaVariuM

Remik, I'll get it off to you tomorrow. Everyone else, please PM your mailing address to the person ahead of you on the list. I hope you enjoy these remarkable scents. I've added several to my collection and look forward to your reviews.
    How do I get in on this?

I have a sample of Incense Pure on today and let me tell you...if I hadn't bought Norma Kamali Incense this week I would be spending the $90 For a big bottle of this. I am trying to keep myself restrained still as I'd like to see if this and the NK would be redundant first before pulling the trigger too soon.

Incense Pure seems to be more of a literal interpretation of incense resins. It's very sappy/resinous and slightly piney, the fragrance feels alive...as if you're literally at a tree in Somolia smelling the Frankincense oozy down the side of the tree. The ambergris adds a freshness that amplifies the resins and woods are the backbone (I think cedar mostly and slight sandalwood.) Resins weave in and out of the other notes making the fragrance feel both cold and warm at times...if that makes sense.

If you enjoy incense but hate some of the "super churchy" stuff that's out there or find some incense fragrances too smokey, you need to try Incense Pure.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for that review rynegne. It may be an easier decision to make knowing Norma Kamali is next to impossible to buy anymore, I've seen a bottle (large) listed at $1200. This may push Incense Pure to the front line for many people as it's much easier on the wallet, and is readily available. If the "scent satisfaction quotient" is way up there with NK, this one may be an easy choice.

Have you tried Winter Woods by chance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm still waiting on the NK to arrive, although I read alfarom's review of Pure Incense and he said they share some similarities...so waiting to purchase. Hopefully, it's different. Because I'm really liking Incense Pure. And yes, I reviewed Winter Woods at the a few posts back (top of the page here.) I'm not sure which comes in 1st or 2nd here...Winter Woods or Pure Incense. Somewhat similar fragrances in terms of composition, yet completely opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Thanks for that review rynegne. It may be an easier decision to make knowing Norma Kamali is next to impossible to buy anymore, I've seen a bottle (large) listed at $1200. This may push Incense Pure to the front line for many people as it's much easier on the wallet, and is readily available. If the "scent satisfaction quotient" is way up there with NK, this one may be an easy choice.

Have you tried Winter Woods by chance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    How do I get in on this?

There's no room on the sample pass since we're squeezing 5 on a 1 ml vial. However, I do have an extra vial of:

Forest Walk
    Velvet Rose
    Winter Woods

If you and someone else would like to smell just these, I'll start a second pass.

I'm still waiting on the NK to arrive, although I read alfarom's review of Pure Incense and he said they share some similarities...so waiting to purchase. Hopefully, it's different. Because I'm really liking Incense Pure. And yes, I reviewed Winter Woods at the a few posts back (top of the page here.) I'm not sure which comes in 1st or 2nd here...Winter Woods or Pure Incense. Somewhat similar fragrances in terms of composition, yet completely opposite.
    I almost bought NK and may still. It has more tobacco, more brandy, more forest to my nose. It's a dryer beauty. Incense Pure is more lush, just like your description. I think they both settle into gorgeous incense notes. If you haven't smelled Winter Woods, do you want in on the mini-pass I'm starting?

There's no room on the sample pass since we're squeezing 5 on a 1 ml vial. However, I do have an extra vial of:

Forest Walk
    Velvet Rose
    Winter Woods

If you and someone else would like to smell just these, I'll start a second pass.
    That'd be great! Count me in.

I'm still waiting on the NK to arrive, although I read alfarom's review of Pure Incense and he said they share some similarities...so waiting to purchase. Hopefully, it's different. Because I'm really liking Incense Pure.
    They both have a massive labdanum, but I find them to be quite different. Pure Incense isn't liturgical at all -- it's far more rooty / sappy. Whereas NK is a brutal, aged, musty turpenic thing that's anything but traditionally pretty, FI is considerably less punishing and much easier to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    That'd be great! Count me in.
    PM your address.

Thanks ScentFan, but I actually own Winter Woods and have SSS several samples.

I'm a huge fan of labdanum which is really kicking in right now (5 hours in), Pure Incense is becoming a little more sweet and more of a syrupy and rich resin.

I do need to make some room in my wardrobe for Pure Incense based on what you guys are saying as far as NK and PI in terms of them being very different and the fact that this stuff is really doing it for me today.

Thanks ScentFan, but I actually own Winter Woods and have SSS several samples.

I'm a huge fan of labdanum which is really kicking in right now (5 hours in), Pure Incense is becoming a little more sweet and more of a syrupy and rich resin.

I do need to make some room in my wardrobe for Pure Incense based on what you guys are saying as far as NK and PI in terms of them being very different and the fact that this stuff is really doing it for me today.

I also love labdanum, if you mean the cistus labdanum that's in chypres? Re-smelling the essential oil in my kit. Yes, it's that note in NK I interpreted as tobacco and brandy! A really fabulous smell. I think there's more of it in NK. I bought 5 ml of Incense Pure just to experience it. To me, IP is a guy thing, but it's a masterpiece. Yet I was absolutely floored by NK, too, and lingered over it in my incense thread. NK is just powerful.

Basenotes Plus

And yes, I reviewed Winter Woods
    Ah yes, LOL, I forgot about that already! :-) Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Based purely on reviews alone, I'm tempted to get Winter Woods, Incense Pure and possibly Forest Walk and/or Fig Tree. The sample pass will likely seal the deal on these, and quite possibly put couple more on the to-buy list.

I've been writing on the line for the last two weeks now (I'll post stuff soon, I swear), but Winter Woods is indeed fantastic. I actually get a similar dry down to that of Interlude Man, only not as psychotic and without the oregano. It's not that woody to me, but it's a great, cozy amber.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Ive recently tried 3 from this house and liked them all very much.
    Incense Pure--a very natural, woodsy incense smell that lasts all day
    Tabac Aurea--a not so sweet (as the Tom Ford) tobacco + vanilla combo. I adored this one, but it doesn't last quite as long as the Incense; and
    Winter Woods--a lovely cedar with a delicious amber-y dry down and good length

All three are office friendly, in the sense that they don't project loudly. All three are winners. The cool thing is, SSS offers smaller format bottles, so people like me can get a bottle of each and don't have to shoot the fragrance budget on just one bottle.
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Linsul View Post
    Just got my 7 samples today, I'm already wearing perfume though....but it's been 6-ish hours and I could use a shower. I should wash my hair and start over today with glorious newness.
    Let us know the results when you wear them, Linsul. Off to post office (a day late because of the cold, but today it's 73!!) wearing Lieu de Reves.

If you're a fan of warmer amber fragrances, like TF Amber Absolute, you'll be getting a bottle of Winter Woods. I'm not saying they're the same, because they're completely different. However, if you like that general type of fragrance, you're in for a treat. Likewise, if you're an incense fan, Incense Pure is just an incredible, resinous, raw interpretation of incense sappyness for a lack of better words. I'm glad more people are coming around to the line, it's good to see SSS getting recognition that it deserves.

The only one I wasn't too fond of was Fireside Intense, the birch tar and civet coupled with leather (I just can't stand leather when it's very forward...hidden...it's just ok.) It was not a terrible scent, just not something I would wear.

Ah yes, LOL, I forgot about that already! :-) Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Based purely on reviews alone, I'm tempted to get Winter Woods, Incense Pure and possibly Forest Walk and/or Fig Tree. The sample pass will likely seal the deal on these, and quite possibly put couple more on the to-buy list.

I'm so glad to see more love for this line. I think SSS is responsible for one of the most honest and enjoyable indie lines around. For anyone interested, here's my excursion into some of Erickson's most popular deliveries…

On a side note, I don't find neither Incense Pure nor NK Incense to be liturgical. IMO, the similarities between Incense Pure and NK are just during the opening and still very distant. They share the same sap / copal vibe in the top notes but while NK gets darker and sort of claustrophobic, Incense Pure gets all outdoorsy and airy. As a matter of fact, while still sharing some similarities, they are completely different fragrances.
    Last edited by alfarom; 14th February 2014 at 09:35 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sounds like there's a place for both in my collection then as huge fan of incense fragrances. Good to see you alfarom!

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I'm so glad to see more love for this line. I think SSS is responsible of one of the most honest and enjoyable indie lines around. For anyone interested, here's my excursion into some of Erickson's most popular deliveries…

On a side note, I don't find neither Incense Pure nor NK Incense to be liturgical. IMO, the similarities between Incense Pure and NK are just during the opening and still very distant. They share the same sap / copal vibe in the top notes but while NK gets darker and sort of claustrophobic, Incense Pure gets all outdoorsy and airy. As a matter of fact, while still sharing some similarities, they are completely different fragrances.

Just blind bought Winter Woods

Sounds like there's a place for both in my collection then as huge fan of incense fragrances. Good to see you alfarom!
    Yes, most definitely…at least IMO. IP is definitely easier to wear whereas NK you really have to be in the mood for it even if one is, just like me, an incense freak.

Thanks rynegne.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Well, that sealed the deal. I just ordered a 15ml decant of Norma Kamali. ;-) (No luck trying to find a full bottle!)

Well, that sealed the deal. I just ordered a 15ml decant of Norma Kamali. ;-) (No luck trying to find a full bottle!)
    Remik, I can steer you to the bottle I almost bought. Decided I'm not ready to shell out over $1000 for a scent I adore, but won't really wear. If I were a wearer, and not just an admirer, of serious incense, NK would be in my house already. For me, it ranks with Jeke and Bal a Versailles as scents that belong in a museum of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    ...For anyone interested, here's my excursion into some of Erickson's most popular deliveries…
    Thanks for the link. I so agree with your statement that IP is a "mash-up between the infamous Norma Kamali Incense and Jovoy La Liturgie Des Heures." Liturgie is the beauty that inspired my "divine incense" quest and NK knocked me over when I sampled it. That IP is in their league is a huge credit to the designer.

Basenotes Plus

Remik, I can steer you to the bottle I almost bought. Decided I'm not ready to shell out over $1000 for a scent I adore, but won't really wear. If I were a wearer, and not just an admirer, of serious incense, NK would be in my house already. For me, it ranks with Jeke and Bal a Versailles as scents that belong in a museum of some kind.
    If it's that bottle listed online for $1200 - I have the link, thank you! :-) Too rich for me as a blind buy. I'll start with the 15ml decant and see how it goes. I don't doubt it's great, but I've learned my lesson with Diaghilev and other over the top fragrances - I can't find an occasion to wear some of these overly opulent creations. They do feel like they belong in a museum and not to be worn by mere mortals. Hence why I'm so excited about SSS and Incense Pure - I suspect it may be a lot more wearable release, which I tend to appreciate more. But, I still want to have NK in my little personal scent library, even if I don't get to wear it.

15 ml will last you a lifetime, remik. You don't need to spray NK as it's so powerful that just dabbing will essentially have the same effect.

Basenotes Plus

15 ml will last you a lifetime, remik.
    Good to know! Sounds like rather than bottling it in 500ml size at $1200, they should have gone down a notch and offered a lot more of it in 30ml size. I bet there would be a lot more takers at that size, especially if the juice is this potent. That's one big reason I like SSS - they have 5, 17 and 34ml bottles - a lot more reasonable, especially for those of us who already have large (or even semi-large) collections.

Good to know! Sounds like rather than bottling it in 500ml size at $1200, they should have gone down a notch and offered a lot more of it in 30ml size. I bet there would be a lot more takers at that size, especially if the juice is this potent. That's one big reason I like SSS - they have 5, 17 and 34ml bottles - a lot more reasonable, especially for those of us who already have large (or even semi-large) collections.
    I actually talked to them about that and ran a few bottles as splits. They've been sitting on those bottles for sometime, simply because no one ever would really need that much. They should be down to the last one or two bottles now as a friend of mine bought three 500ml bottles (!!!)

Forest Walk
    Velvet Rose
    Winter Woods

I've been stalking the SSS perfume notes and this thread. I'd love to try these if there is room in the second pass. Any way I could be last in the sample conga line? I'm a poor college kid who's already spent her perfume budget for the month and I'd like to not pay postage to send it to someone else. (I'm awful...sorry)

I've been wearing many of Laurie's creations for quite a while now and agree that SSS offers a lot of great scents.
    As a lover of Incense frags, one of them is Laurie's 'Incense Pure', but I find that I love NK over that one. Once past the intital blast of syrupy labdanum, NK moves into the middle notes & drydown and is just beautiful. Laurie's 'Incense Pure' is slightly different in the approach and to me, isn't quite as 'mellow' as NK. Still very enjoyable though! Fireside Intense is just way too campfire smoky for me. SSS does offer lovely, quality, niche perfumes! Laurie Erickson is a very talented artist!

How is incense pure compared to Sahara noir?

I love Sahara noir but sometimes I wish the flowery aspect of it was a tiny more on the surface as opposed to being burried under the amber and beeswax....

Sent from Galaxy Note 3
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Basenotes Plus

a friend of mine bought three 500ml bottles (!!!)
    HOARDER!!

Let us know the results when you wear them, Linsul. Off to post office (a day late because of the cold, but today it's 73!!) wearing Lieu de Reves.
    Will do! I'm still trying the ones you sent, so far it's love! I think I'm going to go for Velvet Rose first. Originally I ordered 3 but changed it for more after reading all the great reviews. This is what I have now, I'm kicking myself for not ordering Forest Walk now, but Norne is here to comfort me! I love that SSS has so many size options, it's very convenient and easy on the wallet.

Jour Ensoleille
    Fig Tree
    Nostalgie
    Velvet Rose
    Lieu de Reves
    Champagne de Bois

Edit I just went to uncap Velvet Rose for a whiff and (as usual) splashed it all over my hand. I really can't get over how true to rose this is. Exactly as if you were smelling a fragrant bloom. The scent texture of even the petals is there, which is the only "green" I get so far. For me this is a very true interpretation of a dainty, fragrant and slightly sweet rose, not a heady or spicy one. The opening is that, plus a bright bergamot. It's like having your nose in the bloom while a breeze wafts citrus your way in a sunny garden. Very true to life for anyone with a rose garden. I don't get any spice, carnation, or patchouli as of yet but it's only been about 15 minutes. The citrus is fading but still present close to the skin.
    Last edited by Linsul; 15th February 2014 at 06:44 PM.

Velvet Rose is just now starting to fade to almost nothing, so I put on Rose Volupte (free sample, wasn't listed on receipt when I c/p'd purchase) because I'm intrigued by her take on rose. This one struck me right away as a gourmand. Like fragrant sugared rose petals in a spice red berry coulis. It's now starting to smell like a spiced rose tinged red wine. It's not overly sweet, and the rose is there, but it's not a fresh from the garden rose like Velvet Rose. This is "I bring my garden to the kitchen" rose for me. A delicious rose.
    Last edited by Linsul; 15th February 2014 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peppermoon View Post
    I've been stalking the SSS perfume notes and this thread. I'd love to try these if there is room in the second pass. Any way I could be last in the sample conga line? I'm a poor college kid who's already spent her perfume budget for the month and I'd like to not pay postage to send it to someone else. (I'm awful...sorry)
    You can go at the end, peppermoon. Right now there's just the two of you, so PM your address to noideawhatimsaying. I sent the 2nd group of samples to him yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    How is incense pure compared to Sahara noir?

I love Sahara noir but sometimes I wish the flowery aspect of it was a tiny more on the surface as opposed to being burried under the amber and beeswax....

Sent from Galaxy Note 3

I'm about to write about these two over in my divine incense thread. Sarah Noir has virtually no top note that I detect, then it blooms into an inviting but fleeting woody/flowery/incense scent on the skin. Incense Pure has a definite top note and more presence at every stage. The incense is more powerful and elemi makes it exotic. To verify, I put Sahara Noir on my left hand and Incense Pure on my right. Five minutes, ten for sure, and SN is almost gone. IP hangs beautifully in there. It's an intoxicating smell: sandalwood and amber, undergirding incense, elemi and cedar, with oak moss thrown in for good measure. To me, there's no contest between the two. IP is a stunner. It doesn't have flowers, but smells like a bouquet.

p.s. By the way, I noted the same thing in a different context. I was layering Demeters and discovered amber instantly muted a mix of their quite strong Jasmine and Bulgarian Rose to the point that the result was barely detectable shortly afterwards.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 16th February 2014 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linsul View Post
    Velvet Rose is just now starting to fade to almost nothing, so I put on Rose Volupte (free sample, wasn't listed on receipt when I c/p'd purchase) because I'm intrigued by her take on rose. This one struck me right away as a gourmand. Like fragrant sugared rose petals in a spice red berry coulis. It's now starting to smell like a spiced rose tinged red wine. It's not overly sweet, and the rose is there, but it's not a fresh from the garden rose like Velvet Rose. This is "I bring my garden to the kitchen" rose for me. A delicious rose.
    Very interesting, I hadn't thought of it as a gourmand, but a red wine note might be there. Will re-sniff. About to spray several SSSs at different points along my arms and hands, in hope of uncovering my favorite. Will report.

Thank you ScentFan for the reply and the thourough comparison. Now I am even more interested in incense pure.

Regarding Sahara noir, I actually like how unapologetic it is and it actually does last and project on my skin. I just feel that I have to create or specialize a certain mood to wear it.

Now on the other hand, I hear that incense pure is outdoorsy and airy and therefore could be more wearable and approachable lol.

Anyway, I'm gonna order some samples asap.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 16th February 2014 at 05:17 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....