Code of Conduct

Default Osmanthe Yunnan Too Feminine for a Man?

Hello,
    I am wondering whether you guys think Osmanthe Yunnan is too feminine for a guy to wear. I absolutely love it, but I'm on the fence about getting a bottle. My non-fumehead friends say it is too floral...arg.

Default Re: Osmanthe Yunnan Too Feminine for a Man?

I own it and don't find it feminine for a guy IMO.

(3158)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I like it but longevity sucks for me.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Not feminine at all. It's more like tea, with a light almost leather-like note. If you tell your non fumeheads friends that you are wearing Nascar black cologne (or such names) and it's supposed to smell like fire resistant leather coveralls worn by pilots, they'll compliment you.

So if you like it, go ahead.

cacio

Nascar Black? Love it. Thanks guys. I'm gonna do it!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Not feminine at all. It's more like tea, with a light almost leather-like note. If you tell your non fumeheads friends that you are wearing Nascar black cologne (or such names) and it's supposed to smell like fire resistant leather coveralls worn by pilots, they'll compliment you.

cacio
    ahaha, well done

Do you eat sweets?

It just occurred to me that sweets (candy cake etc etc) would considered girly if we were to begin classifying food as manly or girly.

for swap/sale:

I love wearing OY in the summer, not too feminine at all.

It is sad that people categorise scents into gender. No one does this with wine or food.

Many of the Hermessence scents are unisex. Wear the scent and enjoy, and make up a name for it if you must.

This reminds me of men who don't want to wear anything "floral." They want lavender or orange blossom, which they say are "manly." I have to remind them that those little purple "things" on lavender plants are flowers. And about the "blossom," I don't have to say more.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ondae100 View Post
    I absolutely love it
    This is the reason why you should buy it.

If you're parading around in heels and a skirt, I could see how it could potentially make you feel a little more feminine, but ultimately it's a fragrance, not an identity marker.

Blog Entries

cacio
    Nascar Black? Love it. Thanks guys. I'm gonna do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    ahaha, well done
    LOL!!!

Very much agreed!

I think that's an excellent internet project for us to undertake. We could call it the "Real Fragrance Gender Project". Come up with the most realistic fake "cross-gender" name for any marketing-gendered fragrance, to work with the actual scent, to evoke something compelling for the opposite sex. It would really make people start to think.

Example: Chanel no.5 Eau Première =====>>>>> Arctica Gentleman (to give credit to both Beaux's inspiration and Polge's extraction of that essence).

I'm sure there are plenty of other fake names that would sound very realistic. We can go the other way, too....

Example: Dior Homme =====>>>>> Passage d'Iris (push the modified iris side, but keep it springlike)
    Example: Dior Homme =====>>>>> La Vie est Suave (push the iris and the candy sides - fake Lancome flanker)

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    This is the reason why you should buy it.

If you're parading around in heels and a skirt, I could see how it could potentially make you feel a little more feminine, but ultimately it's a fragrance, not an identity marker.
    Heels and a skirt? In that case:

Kouros =====>>>>>> Gucci Betrayal

It was the first of the line - a high-class Tabu - a real musk killer meant to evoke shady ladies in train stations - back from the Tom Ford era! I hear the "Pour Homme" is pretty good, too.

Fragrance is such a lie. We can "re-lie" all of them!

Agree with redneck ...
    Dior homme I'd rather call Miss Dior Lipstick

Kouros though is probably one I'd draw the line at ... cannot really imagine a woman wearing this (at least in its vintage form). But who knows? Perhaps Opium sauvage.

cacio

cacio

I wear plenty of scents for my own pleasure even though others around me hate it or don't "get" it. Most "commoners" don't understand oud (a big reason why when asked in another thread here on basenotes to name some mainstream oud perfumes we couldn't really name very many). I enjoy confusing people with the way I smell or watching friend's faces cringe in horror when I tell them I'm wearing Chanel No.5.

However, for me, it is a little more enjoyable wearing something that the people around me enjoy as well. I enjoy knowing that I've peaked someone's interest with the way I smell.

I guess I should have asked what the "commoner" or "peasant's" reaction to a man wearing Osmanthe Yunnan has been in your experiences.

osmanthe yunnan is great on a man, I have sampled this and I don't smell femininity on it. Dior Homme is more feminine than osmanthe yunnan.

I wear feminine scents and my friends are surprise is smells wonderful on me. I just don't use that as a conversation piece/ or shout about it, but when they ask what I am wearing I tell the truth. Feminine fragrances I proudly wear, - Bond No. 9 Chinatown, Dior Dune (female); Chanel No. 19 EDP, Annick Goutal Mon Parfurm cheri Par Camille, Angel EDP, Sublime Balkiss and Kenzo Flower.

I'm still saving up to get the bottle, but once I get it and friends start giving me crap I'll come back here and ask you guys for a better gender-bending name idea. Some of my idiot friends probably wouldn't even notice that it was the same scent!!

just say its Fahrenheit flanker or a new azzaro pour homme flanker they will not know at all

Smells amazing and I think it works just fine on a man.
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by happyscent View Post
    just say its Fahrenheit flanker or a new azzaro pour homme flanker they will not know at all
    LOL!!!

So true!

I'm still saving up to get the bottle, but once I get it and friends start giving me crap I'll come back here and ask you guys for a better gender-bending name idea. Some of my idiot friends probably wouldn't even notice that it was the same scent!!
    Estée Lauder Forbidden Pleasures for Men
    Shiseido Zen for Men Gold Edition

Flankers for the Asian market, using expensive osmanthus absolute, known as kinmokusei (gold osmanthus, 金木犀) in Japan. Like everything else expensive and rare, it's reputed to attract women and increase sex drive!

cacio
    Interesting. There is a leather like aroma to some Chinese black teas. Must try this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL!!!

So true!

Estée Lauder Forbidden Pleasures for Men
    Shiseido Zen for Men Gold Edition

Flankers for the Asian market, using expensive osmanthus absolute, known as kinmokusei (gold osmanthus, 金木犀) in Japan. Like everything else expensive and rare, it's reputed to attract women and increase sex drive!
    Love it. No need to mention that Japanese ladies of a certain age associate kinmokusei with toilet deodorizers, but maybe that just makes it even more masculine and Kouros like.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    It is sad that people categorise scents into gender. No one does this with wine or food.
    Well, they do it with alcoholic drinks all the time. Someone walks into a bar and orders a cosmopolitan or an appletini. Do you think that would be most likely a man or woman?

Clothes are generally gender-specific. Little black dress? Not many men can pull that off.

Colors are also. Baby boy's bedrooms usually aren't pink.

Why not fragrances?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Interesting. There is a leather like aroma to some Chinese black teas. Must try this.

Love it. No need to mention that Japanese ladies of a certain age associate kinmokusei with toilet deodorizers, but maybe that just makes it even more masculine and Kouros like.
    LOL!!!

The war between functional and fine fragrance continues unabated!

I asked my wife about this, and apparently it brought back some bad memories. To quote my dear wife:

"Terrible fake kinmokusei....
    Kitchen and bathroom...
    Smell is always making me feel so bad...
    I don't like it!"

But I have to give Jean Claude Ellena some credit. As soon as my wife smelled Osmanthe Yunnan, she loved it, and spotted it for either kinmokusei or ginmokusei!

This is what we pay these guys for - the difference between Hinoki and Pine-Sol® - between Terre d'Hermès and Orange Clean Pledge®.

Osmanthe Yunnan is light and airy, even more so than some of the others in the Hermessence line. It is the opposite of a heady, opaque floral fragrance, which is traditionally associated with women. OY has a freshness and liveliness about it, and it isn't sweet.

I get just as much tea, perhaps even more so, than osmanthus. There's a bit of freesia early on which gives it a hint of greenness. Some users have reported apricot, but I'm not sure if it is just the osmanthus, which has an apricot-like aroma, or some actual apricot used to bolster the osmanthus. In any case I find the apricot note rather subtle. For me it is basically a fresh, airy tea fragrance backed by a sheer floral note.

I see nothing feminine about OY. It's perfectly unisex. Any man who feels uncomfortable wearing it would have to be extremely sensitive to floral notes or to the connotations of floral notes.
    Last edited by noggs; 10th February 2014 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Clothes are generally gender-specific. Little black dress? Not many men can pull that off.

Colors are also. Baby boy's bedrooms usually aren't pink.
    In the 19th century, the colour pink was considered to be strong and masculine. And little boys wore dresses. So nothing is set is stone.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Some users have reported apricot, but I'm not sure if it is just the osmanthus, which has an apricot-like aroma, or some actual apricot used to bolster the osmanthus. In any case I find the apricot note rather subtle. For me it is basically a fresh, airy tea fragrance backed by a sheer floral note.
    Interesting. There is certainly a very apricot like element to osmanthus, but that certainly doesn't rule of the perfumer using an apricot note to bolster it. Despite my constant whining that tea scents never smell like tea, I think I have to put this in the MUST TRY basket.

Basenotes Institution

I want a bottle of this. It's so perfect for that bittersweet-Sunday-evening sort of moment. Wistful, light, crisp and here-then-gone-then-here-again. I love that aspect of it.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

OK, I got my hands on a sample of this. I like it. Nowhere near the potent smell of kinmokusei I was expecting. Goes a little powdery on me in the heart notes. I don't get much of a Yunnan tea scent from this, but I get very little tea from most tea scents. Definitely floral, so I suppose it does lean to the feminine side of unisex if you are into drawing lines in the sand and think anything floral is feminine. I find it less feminine than 2 by CdG. Easily wearable by a man.

Really works nicely in the heat. I'm looking foreword to spending a bit more time with this scent, and although I never regarded myself as valuing silage so highly in scents, the restrained nature of this makes me doubt whether I'd be willing to pay the full bottle price.

I think this might be ideal for a garden wedding I'll be attending in the tropics next month. Clean and sophisticated enough to go with my suit and tie, but its crisp, refreshing and uplifting nature should work well in the afternoon sun.
    Just say no to oniomania.

Each one feels scents in his/her own way.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Knize - Knize Ten Golden Edition
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme I (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

I love wearing this in the summer, I bought the 200ml bottle and wear it all the time. Chandler Burr labels this as a masculine.