Code of Conduct

Default The Weirdness of Old Spice

My apologies if you've already seen this. Someone posted this ad on one of the Facebook fragrance groups and I just had to cross-post it here. I love how weird Old Spice's ad campaigns are getting!

Default Re: The Weirdness of Old Spice

What a awful advert that does no favors for old spice. lol

Very frightening!

Basenotes Plus

Barf!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

That was a bit weird.

The ones a few years back with Terry Crews and I think the other guys name was Asaffa Powell or something like that, were quirky and funny. But this is just straight up bizarre.

Its weird twitters fault.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    The ones a few years back with Terry Crews and I think the other guys name was Asaffa Powell or something like that, were quirky and funny. But this is just straight up bizarre.
    Yeah man, those were fantastic. Clearly, Old Spice's marketing department has gone off the deep end with this one.

Painful to watch.

Dumb.

I thought it was funny and memorable in a "it can't be unseen way". Dumb? Most advertising is, but this one wears it proudly on its sleeve. Just be thankful Norman Bates wasn't in it!
    The Bark Bites Back.

Blog Entries

Too weird for me. I wish they'd get the message across that it really does smell good. This doesn't do it. All these special effects these days are completely over the top.

Saw it when it aired during one of this past weekends's NFL playoff games.

WTF?

Then, googled it and watched again on YouTube. Sent to a few friends.

The Old Spice ads are juvenile and weird, but the ad execs know what they are doing.
    I smell marshmallows!

This is the kind of crap you get from watching TV. Shut it off now. Stick with print media, maybe some select digital, carefully selected DVDs, and you'll dodge a lot of this horrible pop culture clutter.

It's an egregious affront to legacy of the lovely original Old Spice fragrance. I've been wearing Old Spice frequently over the past few months. It is one of the all-time best.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 11th January 2014 at 12:24 AM.

That was horrible!

(2902)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    This is the kind of crap you get from watching TV. Shut it off now. Stick with print media, maybe some select digital, carefully selected DVDs, and you'll dodge a lot of this horrible pop culture clutter.
    Actually, I saw this online.

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Actually, I saw this online.
    Obnoxious online video is even worse than terrible TV. At least when you see abhorrent crap like this on broadcast or cable TV you can blame it on "mass market." Digital video is all about "targeting." If you saw it online, it's safe to assume you are a victim of digital profiling. Too repulsive for words.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Obnoxious online video is even worse than terrible TV. At least when you see abhorrent crap like this on broadcast or cable TV you can blame it on "mass market." Digital video is all about "targeting." If you saw it online, it's safe to assume you are a victim of digital profiling. Too repulsive for words.
    If you read my first post, you'll see that a member posted the video to one of the Facebook fragrance groups. And as a former creative director at a small agency and a photographer that shoots print ads on occasion, I know all about targeted ads based on public user data. All I was trying to do was share a video that I found weird and strangely funny. I'm sorry it got you so worked up as that wasn't my intent. I hope the rest of day gets better for you... :/

Blog Entries

Where ever it came from, it's clearly aimed at 14-16 year-olds. That's one of the annoying things about fragrance ads today. They completely disregard (any respect for) their current clients and prospective older clients who- let's face it- really spend most of the money.

I know several years ago, the men's body spray market was reaching the $200M market share range. It's readily available and cheap, so the target age doesn't surprise me as teenagers are less likely to have incomes (or interest) to support cologne purchases - especially at their going retail rate. I have to wonder if it hey haven't cut into the market nonetheless as many new cologne releases offer a body spray option that are considerably inexpensive alternatives to the edt counterparts.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Totally inappropriate.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I found it funny. Vastly better anyway that the typical Chanel, Dior etc advertisement.

Clearly, Old spice wants to shake off the grampa connections and cut into Axe's teen market. The original smells vastly better, though I am afraid that the flankers, which I have not smelled, might be indistinguishable.

cacio

I wonder what would happen if posted the print advertisements of both M7 and Gucci from over a decade ago, if the reactions would be this strong... not that I'd ever get away with full frontal male and female nudity on the site now (but they were posted, and the files still available, in the old Yahoo group).
    The Bark Bites Back.

Blog Entries

I think what's creepy about it is 1- how unflatteringly the 'mother' characters are portrayed 2- the general concept that they are constantly hovering 3- the boys would like to be rid of them in favor of younger girls as replacements.

In fact just writing this out and analyzing it; I feel sad and disgusted by it.
    Last edited by kumquat; 11th January 2014 at 07:28 PM.

Very touching. If only Norman Bates had had Old Spice.

That was hilarious! Seriously, why all the hate here. It was creative, catchy, modern & funny. Can fragrance ads not be goofy just like ads for beer, cars, chips, etc.? Why not. To most people fragrances are simply "products". I enjoyed it for what it was. An off the wall, attention grabbing, funny ad. But then again, I'm also one who has no problem buying & wearing products like Axe & Old Spice right alongside my niche scents. It's all just smells after all, lol!

Default For your amusement - Old Spice Ad

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: For your amusement - Old Spice Ad

Funny Clip

Agree, very funny.

There was another thread on this recently, but most people were not amused. Nor apparently commenters to perfumeshrine blogpost on the ad.

Following the ad, I am on a quest of smelling some of the offers of the house-not that I want to buy them, but just because. My local CVS only has a three or four of them, and not the whole animal-themed series (what could lionpride be?).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

There was another thread on this recently, but most people were not amused. Nor apparently commenters to perfumeshrine blogpost on the ad.

cacio
    Oops, I didn't see the previous thread. I didn't mean to dredge up a negative topic. I thought it was amusing but I can see why others do not.

I didn't understand why people were negative, it's a funny and intelligent ad. But then, after all, BNers aren't the target of the ad.
    I find it much better than most perfume ads, which are almost ridiculous in their insistence on elegance or sex.

cacio

Hi!

We've merged the threads in order to avoid duplication.

Thanks!
    Last edited by lpp; 20th January 2014 at 08:48 AM.

Someone who thought it up needs a good slap round the head with a rolled up newspaper.

Then told not to it again.
    DONNA

Different. I don't mind different.

The abbreviated version is a bit more tolerable...

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I found it funny. Vastly better anyway that the typical Chanel, Dior etc advertisement.

Clearly, Old spice wants to shake off the grampa connections and cut into Axe's teen market. The original smells vastly better, though I am afraid that the flankers, which I have not smelled, might be indistinguishable.

cacio
    Thank you! Sheesh, I thought I was the only one who liked it until I came upon your post. I have a mom like the ones being portrayed and it just makes me laugh. Well not actually laugh but smile. Smile inside.

Blog Entries

There are plenty of people who have great relationships with their mothers. But for those whose relationships are difficult, this ad is probably just too painfully close to the truth. It's a little maudlin, is all.

It's a parody, everything is exaggerated, and should be enjoyed it that way. Of course all moms (and dads) want to check what their sons are doing, and correctly so-there are enough risks, with drugs and diseases and what else. And of course teenagers don't want to. The ad plays around this universal experience, in a funny way.

cacio

OMG! This is funny and weird at the same time. You have to wonder what they were thinking. This is definitely aimed at teenagers. By the way, my husband still wears Old Spice once in awhile. He has the original version still made in India. Can't wait to show him these ads.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    There are plenty of people who have great relationships with their mothers. But for those whose relationships are difficult, this ad is probably just too painfully close to the truth. It's a little maudlin, is all.
    Thanks for the word, "maudlin", kumquat - I could have used this as a descriptor of my own behavior many many times over the years!

I can't unsee it! My eyes! Haha! What an ad!

The most humorous, uncomfortable commercial out there.

I wish they would have saved it for the Super Bowl!

Awkwardness supreme!

=-O

ha --- that is all

I lost it with the janitor bit

Anyone seen the "spray tan party" Old Spice add? It's not on TV, think it's just part of an online add campaign. I saw it on youtube. It's pretty good lol.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Weirdest ad I've seen in a long time! My daughter and husband concur.