Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Valentino Uomo. A new look on Dior Homme

Could you imagine there is something more feminine in the masculine perfumery than Dior Homme? Valentino Uomo is that case.

9 years after creation of Dior Homme Olivier Polge crafted its modern version. It starts somewhat in the middle of DH and DHI: not so carrot-y as DH but not so sweet as DHI. Then the scent becomes fruitier, cheaper and less sophisticated and suddenly begins to remind of... womens Lancome La Vie Est Belle, also done by Polge. It seems that hazelnut+chocolate note in Valentino Uomo = praline in La Vie Est Belle. Taking into consideration the feminine bottle, I'm hesitating Valentino Uomo is truly mens release.

Uomo is quite pricey, and it is better to buy Dior Homme. However I'm sure some of you will love the new Valentino.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Default Re: Valentino Uomo. A new look on Dior Homme

Well i like the bottle and i like the notes. I think the carroty vibe in Dior Homme comes from the combination of iris with something else.

Will have to try this one, since i'm sucker for anything that even teases on the gourmand side !
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

The bottle looks nice. Will try this out if I cross paths with it. Not very fond of his previous mens offerings.

(3241)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Anton after you declared Eros as the next best thing, I need second opinions lol

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Anton after you declared Eros as the next best thing, I need second opinions lol
    I'm sure the description and opinion are different things.

What longevity did you get from this Anton?

I checked other reviews and they said its a feminine Dior Homme. I will test it when it comes stateside this year.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    What longevity did you get from this Anton?

I checked other reviews and they said its a feminine Dior Homme. I will test it when it comes stateside this year.
    Normal to good. On a paper it lasts longer than Dior Homme. On a skin it has a very good longevity. The sillage is not bad as well.

Sounds interesting, bottle look awesome, I read that it was going to be release as a nordstrom exclusive this year, not sure though and how pricy is it?

Banned
    Blog Entries

This sounds like a pass. I have numerous others that I'm much more interested in acquiring.

i cant wait!!! I am a suker for those notes

I don't understand the marketing idea behind this fragrance.

There is a segment of the male fragrance buying public who think Dior Homme is too feminine. What is Valentino's reasoning behind making a more feminine version of it and putting it in a bottle that looks like one of Valentino's dresses and marketing it to men?

The fragrance itself may be good, if rather redundant given what's already in the market, but the marketing concept completely eludes me.

Looks great and bottle looks awesome.

Off topic but.. Paul Smith Man is one of the most underrated scents ever, and it smells like a slightly darker Dior Homme, with a light presence of tonka in the dry down, don't worry, it isn't that cheap nasty tonka, it's just there a little bit to keep it sweet.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I don't understand the marketing idea behind this fragrance.

There is a segment of the male fragrance buying public who think Dior Homme is too feminine. What is Valentino's reasoning behind making a more feminine version of it and putting it in a bottle that looks like one of Valentino's dresses and marketing it to men?

The fragrance itself may be good, if rather redundant given what's already in the market, but the marketing concept completely eludes me.

Kinda like PDM Herod making a lighter version of Tom Ford's TV

Will have to try this, thanks for sharing the info.

The whole image behind this new Valentino fragrance is to capture the Bourque Rococo period so of course the bottle and the fragrance are going to match. I can't wait to get my hands on a bottle which I believe looks like an old elixir bottle from 1718 France

I love my DH & DHI so this is a pass for me, as for the bottle is very nice of this Valentino uomo, so bottle collectors be ready for this one is very nice , too bad Conus has to wait till 2015 for this one, anyways thanks for info Eventhough it's a pass for me....peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

just bought it today im not sure because i have to taste it better but i can argue it should be a big hit in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by absynthium View Post
    just bought it today im not sure because i have to taste it better but i can argue it should be a big hit in 2014
    Where are located? Could you give a review, and how much did you pay?

Wow look at that bottle! I want it just for that!

I think I will buy it just for the bottle lol, just like I did for MIP lmao.

will pass on this!

Sound Scents

I must be the only one, but the bottle is way too flashy for my taste. I personally can't stand it. Fragrance-wise I do not like Dior Homme and another in its vein sounds completely unappealing to me. That said, I really love the past Valentino releases so I'll have to give this a sniff whenever I come across it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    too flashy
    Maybe. But i love gaudy! In fact, i wish more perfume house would put a little more style into their designs. I appreciate minimalism. And even uniformity across the board for a particular line (Tom Ford Prive).

But i think its nice to have a beautifully designed bottle. So long as the juice inside is equally as beautiful.

I bought this(below) one for the bottle, and will never forgive myself. The perfume is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo0119 View Post
    Where are located? Could you give a review, and how much did you pay?
    i'm in italy i paid 70 euro for a 100 ml bottle

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Wow look at that bottle! I want it just for that!

beautiful bottle and very good frag

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Maybe. But i love gaudy! In fact, i wish more perfume house would put a little more style into their designs. I appreciate minimalism. And even uniformity across the board for a particular line (Tom Ford Prive).

But i think its nice to have a beautifully designed bottle. So long as the juice inside is equally as beautiful.

I bought this(below) one for the bottle, and will never forgive myself. The perfume is horrible.

Well, I *do* like the look of *that* bottle. :-). Too bad about the juice though... I never got a chance to try the X-Ray house, but I have not heard great things from others so far unfortunately... Maybe I'll get a chance during a trip to Barney's in a couple months while on vacation in Las Vegas.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I've seen some tacky bottles but that one takes the cake. Looks like a teen girls celubuscent.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Well, I *do* like the look of *that* bottle. :-). Too bad about the juice though... I never got a chance to try the X-Ray house, but I have not heard great things from others so far unfortunately... Maybe I'll get a chance during a trip to Barney's in a couple months while on vacation in Las Vegas.
    Don't go out of your way to sample anything from this house. The cap started rusting and seized itself to the atomizer. I politely contacted X-Ray Profumo to handle it, since i didn't think it would be fair to bother Barney's with it. Not Barney's fault. After about 1 full month of waiting i got 2 whole emails from them telling me that they redesigned the bottles because of the rusting and i need to take it back to barneys.

Basenotes Institution

It's supposed to smell 'smoky' according to an article I read in British GQ. Does it?

I happen to like the bottle but I don't really like Dior Homme.

Another scent that smells a LOT like Dior Homme is Shalimar Parfum Initial. Does the Valentino smell like the Guerlain?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Looks cheap. Not fond of his previous work.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It's supposed to smell 'smoky' according to an article I read in British GQ. Does it?

I happen to like the bottle but I don't really like Dior Homme.

Another scent that smells a LOT like Dior Homme is Shalimar Parfum Initial. Does the Valentino smell like the Guerlain?
    Absolutely not smoky.

Yes, Uomo smells even closer to Shalimar PI than to Dior Homme.

Exclamation New Fragrance - Valentino Uomo

The first tv ad for this new fragrance appeared last night on our screens here in France.
    I've just found some info on it on a site called Jetset fashion magazine.
    Notes are...

bergamot, spices, myrtle, coffee, gianduja cream,white leather and cedar.
    Its creator is Olivier Polge.

.....not sure about those ingredients, but the bottle looks pretty amazing !!
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: New Fragrance - Valentino Uomo

nice flacon, indeed

Thanks for the image easyfish.
    Apologies to everyone. I didn't realise there was already a thread started about this fragrance...
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

O.K. - will find it & merge them

Edit - found this partial thread in Huddlerville
    http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/379967
    Last edited by lpp; 7th February 2014 at 01:26 PM.

I smelled this one on a magazine test strip in Nordstrom's catalog. I know you can't tell anything by this, but it smelled very nice to me. It is sweet but with a lot of dryness - almost a creamy light coffee. It doesn't remind me of Dior Homme at all - no iris or anything of that type. After the scent matures a little there is a light suede dryness in here. It reminds me of another new fragrance I just tried the other day called Luce by Meo Fusciuni. Very similar to this except no tobacco in the Valentino Uomo. I'm gonna test this one again and I hope I like it as much, from a bottle

Maybe I read that wrong but it seems you're claiming more feminine to be a good thing... puke

Basenotes Member

I blind bought this, and I was lucky. I like it. I can absolutely see the similarities with Dior Homme Intense which I have tried. But the thing is, I can’t stand DHI. Valentino Uomo is like DHI without the notes in DHI that I can’t stand. There are also some additional notes. All in all I think Valentino Uomo is a solid fragrance, but it’s not in my top 10.

Hmm... If it's a little bit like La Vie Est Belle, I should keep this away from my gf's nose.

She LOVES La Vie Est Belle. If she ever get her nose on this, she gonna buy it for me and make me wear it.

Those praline notes better be kept for women.

Sound Scents

I only got a chance to sniff this on paper, but at least my initial take is it has some passing similarities to the smooth iris-like chocolate Dior Homme Intense style, but it is definitely different swapping a hazelnut focus for the smoothness, and coming from one who dislikes the Dior, I did like what I sniffed plenty though not really my usual composition style. Now if only Valentino could ditch that hideous bottle I might be more inclined to buying it. Still on paper at least the composition is a winner.
    Last edited by drseid; 31st March 2014 at 08:35 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Member

I bought a small bottle at Nordstrom this past weekend, after enjoying the few paper samples they gave me recently. I was excited to buy, but then I wore it home and some of the excitement wore off. It's a very nice fragrance, but it's also quite sweet, and I'm not sure how I will feel about that. I decided not to return it, though, and will likely hold off wearing it since it feels more like a fall/winter scent that the current warmer weather.

Only got to try this on paper but I liked it. A lot of hazelnut sweetness and some coffee/cedar. Really nice but I need to try this on skin and give it some wearings before I can make a final decision if it's bottle worthy and if I truly like it.

I don't get the reference to Dior homme, maybe it's more similar in the dry down?

I'm also really liking the bottle.

Tried this today - Delicate and feminine in the extreme. Maybe the heat / humidity did not help!
    I must admit my interpretation was way off the note list. I mostly got a very powdery floral (iris / violet / honey suckle) with no great development. Maybe I subconsciously decoded those 'feminine' notes due to the overall feminine feel of the fragrance.

Some men will be able to carry this off and credit to them!
    Comparisons to Dior Homme line are legitimate
    The bottle matches well with the fragrance

I actually really like it. I was sent a sample of Uomo from a friend and to my nose, it starts off similar to dior homme, i can definitely detect iris, not as strong as DH but its there, then comes a nutty smell, also some fruit? like sweet peaches... obviously there is no peach note but i smell some sort of fruit.. then after a few hours i can smell cedar with some of the sweet fruit still in the background..

I keep coming back to this one. It's fast becoming a favourite!

Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post
    Tried this today - Delicate and feminine in the extreme. Maybe the heat / humidity did not help!
    I must admit my interpretation was way off the note list. I mostly got a very powdery floral (iris / violet / honey suckle) with no great development. Maybe I subconsciously decoded those 'feminine' notes due to the overall feminine feel of the fragrance.
    Agree with most of this, except I didn't find it powdery. But I found it sweeter, fruitier, more linear and more feminine that DHI. I do think they have a similar *smell*. Really wasn't a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Off topic but.. Paul Smith Man is one of the most underrated scents ever, and it smells like a slightly darker Dior Homme, with a light presence of tonka in the dry down, don't worry, it isn't that cheap nasty tonka, it's just there a little bit to keep it sweet.
    I completely agree...
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

I don't like Dior Homme (vintage or current) but Valentino Uomo is indeed a better take on DH, done much better imo
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Wearing this for the 1st time and it is very similar to DH. Less iris & powder but other than that it's identical. That bottle is killer to boot.

If it becomes cheaper, I'll buy it but at retail, I'm content with all my vintage DH bottles.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I've been enjoying this for the short time that I've owned it. It opens very similar to Dior Homme or DHI but the iris fades quicker and is replaced by a sweet hazel nutty coffee note. It smells good but don't expect the same level of quality as DH or DHI, it's a level below, thinner and with a bit of a more synthetic feel. I don't find this feminine, maybe even less so, as the "lipstick" note is toned down. Wait for it to come down in price to around $55 and it'll be worth it. The current $75 seems a bit high given the quality, but as I said before, it smells good. Not sure how I feel about the bottle--there's no cap (just this cheap stopper thing) and I can't help but feel its a bit ostentatious for what it is.

Overall, I'm happy to own it, plan to wear it a lot this fall, and may even prefer how it smells to at least DH, but probably not DHI.

Basenotes Institution

I have smelled this on two different guys in my office. Valentino seems to have done their homework marketing this scent.

I must admit, the scent annoys me a bit (the amber is a little hissy) but I suppose it smells a whole lot better than the industrial aquatics /ozonics that I'm used to smelling so I guess I can't complain.

Still...if you own this you really do NOT need to over spray this one. It projects like bananas!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I love dior homme! And dior is an awesome frag for just about anytime of the year IMO. Valentino does have a slightly similar vibe, but is well worth owning on its own. Love the chocolate hazelnut dry down. Just excellent in my opinion.

Not feminine at all to my nose. Sensual and deliberately sexy!

This would be a great frag if it was an EDP/Intense edition.

Quote Originally Posted by 61824 View Post
    This would be a great frag if it was an EDP/Intense edition.
    I find it strong enough as it.
    What coach Rob says determines what I spray

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
    I find it strong enough as it.
    Really? It seems quite soft and reminds me of the original DH in terms of performance hence why a slight note shuffle and stronger concentration like Intense could really do the trick with this one.

As it stands its slightly above average, with a few tweaks its could become a contender.

I must be in the minority, because this and DH last longer on me than I'd sometimes care for! Valentino especially lasts on clothing. So bad that I almost can't use any other frags until that article is ran through the wash to "de-scent" it lol

No complaints here!

I may have to have another sniff of this as when I tested it it was right between test drives of Pure Malt by Mugler and Terre D'Hermes.

Hey guys! Is it just me or there's something wrong with all your noses who can smell Dior Homme here? Iris? WHAT?! Where is the iris I'm asking? Neither on my skin nor on the paper strip I could absolutely not detect any iris at all! To me similarity with DH or with DHI (sic!) is none! This is hazelnut, coffee, chocolate and amber based scent. The only fragrance it reminds me of is discontinued Givenchy Very Irresistible for Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_ View Post
    Hey guys! Is it just me or there's something wrong with all your noses who can smell Dior Homme here? Iris? WHAT?! Where is the iris I'm asking? Neither on my skin nor on the paper strip I could absolutely not detect any iris at all! To me similarity with DH or with DHI (sic!) is none! This is hazelnut, coffee, chocolate and amber based scent. The only fragrance it reminds me of is discontinued Givenchy Very Irresistible for Men.
    That's weird. I find the opening very similar. And regardless of its note pyramid, the lipstick note that pops up in DH (maybe a combination of the iris and cocoa or amber) is also immediately apparent in Uomo...to my nose, and despite there being no mention of these notes in Uomo..

I don't think they're similar later on, but for the first 30 minutes or so, yes.

And I don't think this is an example of "one person said it and now everyone else is saying it because they think it's the right thing to say." My first thought when I sprayed Uomo was "Damn, why'd I buy this? It smells just like Dior Homme!" But it takes on its own life after a short while, and I've really come to like it.

But this could be one of those things where we associate one smell with another and inadvertently make them out to be more similar than they actually are. This happens all the time with 1899 Hemingway and Spicebomb, even though they're really not that similar.