Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Absolue pour le soir

I know I am behind the power curb on this scent but I am giving this fragrance it's first full proper wearing today after having the sample for about a year. Holy smokes is this stuff amazing!!! If the Disney film 'Beauty and the Beast' could be represented by a fragrance APLS would fit the bill. The initial animalic quality is initially offputting far more so than MR imo. As it settles however it is eons more pleasant than MR(to me). I have much more to say(ill save that for the review section) what are your thoughts on this gem?
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Default Re: Thoughts on Absolue pour le soir

I think it's a wonderful fragrance. Very well made IMO.

(3269)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

l agree; it is sumptuous, warm, opulent, cozy & animalic in a really good way. An awesome fragrance!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Agree. It's more animalic than MR, but done in a very smooth, elegant way, typical of the best Kurkdjian.

cacio

Definitely enjoy this one a whole lot. It has been on my "to buy" list for a while, but I have yet to muster up the courage and funds to do so.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Definitely enjoy this one a whole lot. It has been on my "to buy" list for a while, but I have yet to muster up the courage and funds to do so.
    I have moved it to the second position behind a FB of POAL.

SN: I brought my sample to work and was so excited about it that I had a coworker spray it on their hand (I warned him off the opening) and allow it to progress over the course of the work day. Initialy he was angry that he put it on (offput by the animalics) but now he is crazy about it, asking me where he can purchase it from!
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    The initial animalic quality is initially offputting far more so than MR imo. As it settles however it is eons more pleasant than MR(to me).
    To me it's the opposite, it starts really really good and ends up too sweet and cloying after one hour or two..
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    I have moved it to the second position behind a FB of POAL.

SN: I brought my sample to work and was so excited about it that I had a coworker spray it on their hand (I warned him off the opening) and allow it to progress over the course of the work day. Initially he was angry that he put it on (offput by the animalics) but now he is crazy about it, asking me where he can purchase it from!
    I think after wearing it once, you start to appreciate the opening, which is awesome on my skin. That being said, my skin absolutely loves musks and other animalics for some reason.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

I fell in love on first sniff. There was a point that every time i wore it, it reminded me of Chergui. I don't really get that anymore though for some reason.

Also i also get comments about how incensey it is, but i don't smell much incense in it myself. Weird!

For me, it's the best thing he's done by a long stretch. It strikes the perfect balance between polish and filth, but it's not one for those who like chemically clean things or have an aversion to animalics.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    There was a point that every time i wore it, it reminded me of Chergui.
    Chergui is exactly what I thought of during the mid of wearing APLS on Saturday(just a spray to the wrist). So much so that I ordered a sample of Chergui with my Red Aoud order to do a side by side comparison. I used to own Chergui but sold it because it was not smooth enough to my nose. I am sure they are not too similar but I am excited to see the differences in scent. APLS is much smoother and Chergui has no animalic notes so there is at least two major differences right there.
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

I like it very much, but find it very similar to Serge Noire, which I own two bottles of.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I had been meaning to try this for some time but had difficulties locating a sample. Finally got to try it a few days ago.

The opening had all the animalics I'd heard of, and indeed after a few minutes even smelled strongly of urine; I suddenly recalled Dernier_Cri's review here on BN:

reminds me of someone dead drunk on Barenjager who then urinated (by accident of course) onto a cheap leather jacket.....some time ago.
    The urine phase passed and I found myself in a cloud of powdery amber. I generally don't like powder or amber, but this cloud was shot through with threads of civet and it made a very interesting olfactory scene, indeed.

Still, I had hopes that I would not need to add this to my "to buy" list.

As it happened, it only became more glorious. This perfume is huge, celestial and yet grounded in animalic filth of the most beautiful kind. I was very sorry to shower it off, because it just kept getting better and showed no signs of ever stopping... I bought a bottle the next day.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Like others, after initial shock at the opening, I found this to be gorgeous -- probably one of the most sensually, opulently beautiful fragrances I own. Paper does it no justice, as the opening civet attack lasts much longer and doesn't represent what happens on skin. Once that stanky opening subsides, the scent develops into a rich, warm, resinous, floral, honeyed radiance. Enough of the dirtiness remains to pitch the sensuality toward outright sex, which I don't mind at all, but I wouldn't necessarily be afraid to wear this (minimally applied) to the office. Suffice to say I recently, finally, sprang for a full bottle. Honestly given the richness of the notes, I think this one is actually quite fairly priced.

As far as recalling Chergui, I'd guess it's the shared honey note that's creating the association. I don't think they otherwise smell that similar, apart from the basic oriental family resemblance.

Fantastic scent. One spray for me. I made the mistake of treating this like a normal scent (three sprays) and then went to a party, and let's just say that I did not go unnoticed... But it is great, honey labdanum beauty after the animalic opening...

This is on my list to try, thanks for sharing your thoughts about it.

Just blind bought a bottle. I've been debating buying a bottle for months. All the reviews and notes sound right up my alley.

Will give my thoughts once I receive it.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Excellent in my opinion. I really enjoyed this as well as the cologne version. I did not get incense from this at all. So many scents...so little time!!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Just received my bottle. My initial thoughts are :-) incense, honey, and animalics.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Basenotes Plus

I have a decant of APLS, and I really like it - I did happen to think "incense" and a particular one at that -- Gonesh #6 incense from the 70s -- VERY close to my olfactory memory.
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

I tried to like this in any possible way since I believe Kurkdjian is much talented, but for APLS I just can't not think of urine. Stinky steamy pee. I'm sorry - I mean it's me and I don't want to sound offensive, that is I don't want to imply that "you like pee!" It's just what I smell. If that's supposed to be "animalic" I find that not well-developed. Or well, whatever, it's just something I wouldn't wear.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Slumberhouse - Ore
    Parfum d'Empire - Cuir Ottoman
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Geo F Trumper - Curzon

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

My sales - WORLDWIDE | Vtg Signoricci 1 & Signoricci 2 - EDT 200 ML BNIB | http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...DT-200-ML-BNIB

I love it, I think its the best in MKK's line. I used to like Lumiere Noire till they watered it down.
    Absolue pour le Soir smells a lot like Benzoin incense.

It reminds me a lot of this incense :

http://www.incenseontheway.com/produ...?specific=3396

Big fragrance, a lot to like. Hard not to like. The composition is a little confused, doesn't really matter. Too much rose. I don't love rose so I lost interest. Hell of a lot better than most of what's being made today. The thing has quality and chutzpah. Love the animalics. Always a good thing. Smells great on my friend who works at Lush. Need to have her wear it and smell it again.

Thumbs up. Go for it. You'll get a lot out of it no matter what.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Worth a decant but not an FB for me ('cuz the decant will last a long time). Potent stuff; makes me self-conscious whenever I have it on.

Update:
    Ended up getting in on a split and getting 20mls, which as DiamondFlame mentioned above, is more than enough. Nuclear! Lasts and projects for well over 12 hours. Thanks for all the replies!
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    This is on my list to try, thanks for sharing your thoughts about it.
    Did you ever get the opportunity to try it? What are your thoughts?
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Basenotes Junkie

I bought 2 bottles if that tells you anything . It's the perfect balance of polished and dirty. One spray to the chest is perfect. Puts my lady in a state of bliss, where coherent sentences need not apply. I bought TWO bottles . It's my grail
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior Privee, Chanel Exclusif, Creed, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, MOLECULE 01
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499