Code of Conduct

Talking Going to Scent Bar in LA for the first time recommendations??

I'm travelling for business to California next month and I am planning to head to Scent Bar, I actually am hoping to find a fragrance to celebrate my 4 year work anniversary and turning 31 this year, but going from page to page on their website has me turing in circles. I have a fondness for Oriental and Floriental scents, but don't go for anything particularly heavy...what are some good recs to try out? My exposure has been to the standard department store scents and I'm looking for something a bit more unique. Thanks for the help!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Going to Scent Bar in LA for the first time recommendations??

Hi Ladybird! There are so many great scents, I don't know where to start. One of my favorites I think you should try is Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire pour Femme, it's a beautiful rose fragrance. I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions from others.

Welcome! And congratulations...

So many things to choose from ... you're going to knock off your nose. Just off the top of my head:
    Lubin Idole: very smooth saffrony oriental
    Parfums de Nicolai: Maharanih
    and then the king of floriental used to be Amouage, with things like Ubar or, more recently, Fate. (though some of their scents have been lightened recently).

cacio

CologneFan85

I liked going to this place when I lived close to it.

Default Going to Scent Bar in LA for the first time recommendations??

The best advice I can give you is to go in with plenty of time on your hands and prepare your nose for some serious sniffing. It's a very kick-back environment that in many ways actually resembles a bar in that you can pull up a stool and chat with the incredibly helpful staff and other fragrance fans that come and go. The place even has locals!

Let's put it this way -- there are a lot of oriental/floriental options available. I'd browse the website and get a preliminary list together, and then when you go in, just have the staff guide you through the scents you want to try and allow them to show you some of their favorites. There's never any pressure to buy, the staff (and customers alike) are full of suggestions and recommendations, and everybody there is genuinely sweet and kind.

The only other thing you might want to do is to call ahead and make sure that they have the scents you're interested in on-hand. The Luckyscent office is close by, and sometimes they'll need to run and grab a bottle from there for you. They also have their own mini Osmotheque, so if there's something rare that you want to try, they might have it on hand -- even if it's not something they carry.
    Last edited by deadidol; 23rd January 2014 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    The best advice I can give you is to go in with plenty of time on your hands and prepare your nose for some serious sniffing. It's a very kick-back environment that in many ways actually resembles a bar in that you can pull up a stool and chat with the incredibly helpful staff and other fragrance fans that come and go. The place even has locals!
    Lucky to have been there twice and this advice and description above is spot on.

(3312)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome ladybird 2005. If you find a scent you like, the staff will really be able to help guide you to others with similar feel.
    Plus 1 on taking your time. It doesn't look that big from the outside but your nose can easily be overwhelmed in there with all they have. Allow enough time to go have a sit down at the cafe next door and or clear your nose with a walk around the block if your nose needs break. Have fun!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Lucky you!

Definitely check Parfumerie Generale and Frapin lines.

Thank you all for your recommendations! I've actually emailed them as well because I was concerned where to park as well. I'm pretty excited for this trip also because there are so many scents I've gotten to hear about on here that I'm looking forward to smelling myself. I'll try to remember to post back here with how it goes and what I pick up and try out. I have been trying to work on my list and I'm hoping all goes well.

Default Going to Scent Bar in LA for the first time recommendations??

I just park on Martel which is the street that crosses Beverly. The area is notorious for ticketing, so be careful, but that's a residential street so you should be okay for a couple of hours.

Also, there are a few places close by that you might want to check out:

Le Labo is within a mile or so (samples!)

Pygmy Hippo Shop has a few Smell Bent scents.

Tom Ford, Etro, Chanel, Armani, Hermes are all on Rodeo where you can find the various private collections.

Santa Maria Novella is close by, as is Woodley and Bunny (who carries the DS&Durga scents not stocked at Barney's)

Then there's Saks, Barney's, and Niemans close by too. Barney's has the Lutens bell jars now -- which is kind of a big deal.

Larchmont Beauty Supply has the Demeter line if you're after something cheap and sleazy.

Last, you might also look at the Institute for Art and Olfaction to see if any programming grabs you.
    Last edited by deadidol; 26th January 2014 at 04:58 AM.

They have a knowlegable sales staff. Walk in, tell them what you like and don't like. They'll guide you in the right direction. You'll have fun and go home with a winner or two.

Basenotes Plus

ladybird- street parking may or may not be in short supply depending on timing of visit. I usually just head for a residential side street and walk a block or two.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I made it back! Alive even! I tried so many frags, really... narrowing down to the one was very difficult. I ended up picking up Fueguia 1833 Agua Magnolia, but that was only because they were out of stock on my first choice. I also picked up three samples Montale's Intense Café (which was actually my first choice), Montale's Chocolate Greedy and Penhaligon's Elizabethan Rose. At many points I had something like 10 bottles in front of me and another lady came in and was trying out some of the Tom Ford's Private and I kept asking her to smell me. Given the chance I would add the three samples above as full bottles to my collection along with 1805 from Historie de Parfum and Dyptique's heady Tuberose scent.

It sounds like you had a wonderful experience! I look forward to visiting the shop sometime.