Code of Conduct

Default Samples - Keep or Not?

I've collected a bunch of samples and was wondering what others do with theirs. Do you discard or keep them? On the one hand, I tend to know what I love or dislike immediately, but there's a growing grey area of scents I may want to retry. What do you say? Is there a reason to hold onto samples, once acquired -- even those you initially pretty much despise?

Default Re: Samples - Keep or Not?

If I don't like the samples, I generally post them up on a Facebook group I belong to and send them off to someone who is interested. Other times, I will save the scent on the off-chance it comes up a lot and I want a reference/or to rediscover it.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

give away or sell.
    or
    my more than a yr old plan in the making - make a giant decant of all samples...still waiting to find time to do this...

I save them unless I am certain as I've found that my tastes are changing quickly. I give away those I end up buying FB's of!

The ones I love I buy FBs and give away the samples. The ones I hate I save in case my tastes mature or change so I can sniff them again in the future. The "meh" ones hang around and sometimes I wear them. Most of them are nice but have some drawback (usually longevity with me) that doesn't make them FBW. I also take them on trips for variety.

Any samples I receive with bottle purchases I make, are usually given away.

(3318)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I keep one of each-even if I completely dislike the perfume, almost as a sort of reference library. Sometimes you want to go back and smell.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I keep one of each-even if I completely dislike the perfume, almost as a sort of reference library. Sometimes you want to go back and smell.

cacio
    This.

Blog Entries

ScentFan, your original post makes 499 posts for you.

One more post and you will meet requirements to start a thread on the BN Marketplace to swap your samples-- or if they are official manufacturer samples, they can be listed for sale there.

cacio
    Exactly right. They sit in a wooden box In the corner of my closet out of the way.

cacio
    Same! I do often return to a scent for reference purposes, so they're good to have around.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Even if it's something terrible - I try to save up at least 5 and sell em as a lot on Ebay..
    1 man's trash is another man's treasure

I think i'd regret it if i ever wanted to reference back to it. I'd end up having to get another sample

I either give them away or keep them for reference.
    Plus, occasionally, returning to a 'reject' can be interesting.

I give mine away as gifts or swap them for others that I may be more interested in. If I really like something and end up getting a full bottle, I may even keep the sample too just so that I have more fragrance!!

I use them, or give them away.

I usually give then to people in my circle that appreciate perfumes or when I do a swap or sale include then as a bonus...as I definitely see no reason to keep them if I'm not into them , might as well give another person a chance to sniff and take it for a ride...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

cacio
    +1. I still have a lot of samples of things that I don't like - and am pretty sure I never will. But I still give them a sniff from time to time just to remind myself.

I keep the ones I don't like or understand and give away the ones I like that have prompted a purchase, or a near miss.

Serge Noir was one I loathed with a passion until Diamondflame kept rabbitting on about it incessantly and over the course of a year or so a combination of his blathering and the occasional tentative re-sniff led me to the conclusion that I think it's hilarious, sheer genius and absolutely worth buying.

Of course you can just empty them all into a bottle and make a potpourri and use that as a room freshener, or if it's really good stick it in with some unscented shower gel or shampoo or whatever . . . that's fun. But then of course, when it runs out you'll hit a little depression patch because you forgot to write down the formula
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 23rd January 2014 at 03:48 PM.

cacio
    + 3. I keep them for later on. If I have learned anything (and I swear I have) it is that my preferences continually change. Who knows, one day in the future I may think that aquatics aren't liquid garbage.

I don't know anyone in my personal circle thats into frags like I am, so if its something I don't want to revisit later, I toss them. On rare occasion I've regretted it, but I'm usually right.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Keep them for reference.

In a year, two years, you might feel like revisiting them. Perhaps you'll want to remind yourself why on earth you didn't like X when everyone said how wonderful if was, and either you'll feel happy to be confirmed in your initial impression or you'll begin to change your mind!

gave away tons of them!

Keeping most of them- mainly because of two reasons.
    1- Before making a purchase, trying to test the fragrance through (at least) 2-3 separate applications over time and see whether it is or becomes (full size) bottle-worthy.
    2- Some samples simply contain downright amazing fragrances in the first place. Thus being a good and reliable solution for a fast reapplication while away from my scent collection and/or when a full bottle is not available.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Keep them for reference.

In a year, two years, you might feel like revisiting them. Perhaps you'll want to remind yourself why on earth you didn't like X when everyone said how wonderful if was, and either you'll feel happy to be confirmed in your initial impression or you'll begin to change your mind!
    I feel similarly, although ones that I absolutely do not like I'll either dump or give away. These are ones that I know myself too well about--I'll never warm up to them (like Versace Eros). The ones that are lukewarm to me, or I don't like but are controversially interesting, I'll keep. One does never know if a mind will change over time. But generally if I get the full bottle I'll give away the sample to someone else.

I only keep the ones I that I didn't like but are popular with fellow esteemed perfumistas with who I can relate. Also keep controversial samples.
    Basically they're kept for reference.

The rest I give to fellow perfumistas.

for swap/sale:

I usually give them away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I only keep the ones I that I didn't like but are popular with fellow esteemed perfumistas with who I can relate. Also keep controversial samples.
    Basically they're kept for reference.

The rest I give to fellow perfumistas.
    Yes, I like to refresh my memory. Even though I may not respond to something right away, sometimes I warm up to it later. Plus it's useful for these discussions. And I need to keep track of what I've already tried and what kind of stuff I don't like so I don't make the same mistakes over again.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Yes, I like to refresh my memory. Even though I may not respond to something right away, sometimes I warm up to it later. Plus it's useful for these discussions. And I need to keep track of what I've already tried and what kind of stuff I don't like so I don't make the same mistakes over again.
    I should add that I also keep the ones I haven't completely understood yet.

I also keep reformulated or original-formula perfume samples.

For example I have a FB of vintage Santal Noble and retail samples of the current. Same with Czeck & Speake no.88.

for swap/sale:

Really appreciate the replies, several with considerations I hadn't thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    This is what I do. Sometimes I go back to remind myself why I didn't purchase a bottle, or to see what is familiar about a new scent

I usually keep ones for reference. Having said that, I give away the ones I'm so sure I'm not (and won't be) interested in.
    I also keep reformulated or original-formula perfume samples.
    That's a good idea... I haven't thought about that.

I always keep them and take them on holiday

cacio
    Me too! Even the ones that I don't like, or have already tried - I am currently keeping because I will take them out as a reference when I read a review that mentions them, or I want to remember what a perfume house has in its' line-up. May decide differently in future, but for now it is kind of like a library of scents for me.

I always keep my samples even if I strongly dislike them. It's always fun to rediscover them when I'm rummaging through my fragrance collection!

Whenever I receive a sample along with a purchase I try it and decide whether or not I want to re-visit it at a later time or not.

If not I give them to my father who hates spending money on fragrances. He's been living off my samples for last two years and still probably owns +/- 75ml of samples.

I'd really hate to throw them away.