Code of Conduct

Default Perfumer’s Supply House Tools – Table of Organic Chemistry Compounds and their Smells

http://perfumersupplyhouse.com/2014/...-their-smells/

This is a new Blogpost for the benefit of the entire Perfumer Community of learning souls...

To say that we are “happy” for someone to give us non-Chemists a helping hand to understand these seeming mysteries would be a gross understatemnt. I’m ecstatic and ecstatically grateful…The table/graph above is made by Chemistry Teacher John Kennedy, at Monash University, Australia. He takes great pride in making visual graphics to help his students understand Chemistry concepts graphically, and for Visual learners like Myself, this is utterly FANTASTIC!!! And he has gifted these to the world, and we repost them here in his honor… There is a graphic, or a graphic AND a PDF file of each whole graphic file in total, and then a secondary to download and then print out so that you can splice them together and place tham on your wall for ready reference and repetitive learning opportunites and research..

I sincerely hope that you get as much use out of them that I know I will…

Posted by Paul Kiler, PK Perfumes
    Last edited by pkiler; 23rd January 2014 at 06:20 AM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Default Re: Perfumer’s Supply House Tools – Table of Organic Chemistry Compounds and their Smells

Awesome

Default Re: Perfumer’s Supply House Tools – Table of Organic Chemistry Compounds and their Smells

Less impressed with this chart, I'm afraid. Lots of errors (one example. Hexanol is not the smell of fresh cut grass; hexenol is).

Hexanol, hexenol, hexanal, and hexenal all have a cut grass smell to them.

Quote Originally Posted by JayH View Post
    Hexanol, hexenol, hexanal, and hexenal all have a cut grass smell to them.
    They all smell Green, but the classic example of Cut Grass is cis-3-hexenol. I still maintain that the chart is wrong.

I thought hexanol smelled remarkably grassy myself, but as always personal interpretation will vary. I still don't see the chart as being definitively "wrong," since hexenol isn't even listed. It's vague, though. I find myself wondering whether the skulls and exclamation marks are supposed to represent scents or hazards.