Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What does everyone else smell like?

Over and over, it is posted by many that they "don't want to smell like everyone else", and I would like to know what these other people smell like. No, not just what is a best seller that is left unused, or unopened, but what is actually smelled on other people, and a rough estimate of the frequency (per 5, 10, 100, etc) if possible. Males specifically, as this is a male discussion section, though gender of the fragrance is irrelevant to this.

Default Re: What does everyone else smell like?

I have no rough idea about estimation of frequencey, but I can start you off...

Paco Rabane One Million, Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Bvlgari Aqua, Ralph Lauren Big Pony line, these are all very common.

Edit: Adding Gucci Guilty & I also agree with Jean Paul Gaultiers Le Male.
    Last edited by DMA; 23rd January 2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Additions to list...

I smell one fragrance on men all the time - at least once or twice per day when I'm on trains or walking down the street. I haven't figured out what the fragrance actually is, though, so that's no help. If I find an opportunity to ask, I will.

I also smell Le Male quite frequently, and TF Black Orchid.

On women, it's often NR for Her, and Coco Mademoiselle or Chance (I sometimes can't tell the difference).

There are lots of others, but those are the ones I smell most frequently by far.

Scents can differ from person to person because of skin chemistry, diet..etc but overall their are scents that trampoline identically out the majority of populace...so you figure most won't spent the hefty euros for a particular smell ..hence scent becomes less known to populace but those of us the are fume heads get it....nevertheless it is a subjective topic IMO. The only way to eradicate running to someone with same scent is to do your proper essential oil blend yourself...but as a precaution, I've not ran to no one with the same particular scent that I've worn on any particular day except I've encounter people who were wearing a scent that I have and to be honest it turn me off.....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Le Male is one I often seem to smell on others. I'm sure there are others but that's the one that most comes to mind. As for frequency, I have no idea.

(3323)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Chrome. I work at a university and a couple of time a week a young guy will come into my office wearing Chrome.

LeMale for one...
    Current Favorites

1. Amouage Reflection Man
    2. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Divine L'Homme Sage
    4. By Killian Back to Black
    5. Amouage Interlude
    6. Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé (2004)
    7. By Killian Rose Oud
    8. Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
    9. Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme
    10.Creed Royal Water

I don't work at a funfair but I seem to smell this a lot:

I smelled AdG on someone a few weeks ago at the mall. That was about it. Don't really smell too much on people. Maybe that means I'm wearing too much myself!

I think the expression is a general term for common high street scents that are popular with the masses. I 'm not going to make a list as others have mentioned some of them. Though as others I have no idea of the frequency.

Blog Entries

As you said, the use of a "best seller" as a gauge may not be perfect--but I still think it's a good one. It's an interesting experiment to go on fragrance retail websites (I've tried perhaps ten reputable and popular ones, according to other Basenotes threads), and sorted by popularity. In general, many of these lists turn up with the same fragrances. It's an interesting experiment; might be worth a try to get a sense of what many guys out there APPEAR to be wearing.
    Check out my personal blog: http://stayathomedadfindsacologne.com

"Perfume and incense make the heart glad..."

-Proverbs 27:9

Gucci Guilty,1 million, and Chrome are what I smell most of the time. Oh and La Nuit.
    Last edited by FISS80; 23rd January 2014 at 04:15 PM.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Add Armani Code to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by marais View Post
    i don't work at a funfair but i seem to smell this a lot:

lol!!
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

I think this where the word 'generic' comes into its own. These fragrances all have similarities usually revolving around violet leaf, apple, acquatics and woods-- levels of sweetness vary. Not gonna list the thousands that fall into this sphere though.

It's rare for me to smell anything 'special' on other men in daily life.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Plenty of Joop! still to this day..
    Le Male also..
    When the summer hits I am sure it will be more ADG - Chrome and Cool Water

Thumbs up Re: What does everyone else smell like?

I think this whole "smells like everyone else" thing is grossly overused.(unless you live in a big city perhaps) Where I live, it's mostly hipsters who don't wear anything.(sandalwood or patchouli maybe?!lol) So I've smelt fragrance only a handful of times over the last few years. One guy was clearly rock'in ADG in Walmart one night(in the middle of winter no less!) and one guy who came to my counter was burly and in his late 50's wearing a old school frag of some sort but smelt really good and fit him to a tee. Even when I go out to clubs, I hardly ever smell another scent. But when I do it's always a Hispanic dude(props to them for always smell'in good!)

"Everyone else" smells like aquatics. I am generally ignorant of this genre and the only one I recognize on smell is ADG, which is still popular. Lots of times I will smell another aquatic but I have no idea which one.

As to frequency, most people here don't seem to wear any fragrance so maybe every couple of days I'll notice it.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Where I live, most males in my, as well as most age groups use the following fragrances (in no particular order): ADG, Le Male, Eau d'Issey, One Million.

Quote Originally Posted by maricle View Post
    Over and over, it is posted by many that they "don't want to smell like everyone else", and I would like to know what these other people smell like. No, not just what is a best seller that is left unused, or unopened, but what is actually smelled on other people, and a rough estimate of the frequency (per 5, 10, 100, etc) if possible. Males specifically, as this is a male discussion section, though gender of the fragrance is irrelevant to this.
    It seems to me that, in the U.S., most men only wear fragrance when they're trying to impress a mate (or potential mate). An Average Joe hanging out with the guys probably isn't wearing fragrance. An Average Joe hanging out with a group that includes women, especially women he might be interested in, is much more likely to be wearing a fragrance and wearing it badly because he's going overboard in order to get her attention. That's where the whole Cologne Guy stereotype comes from. Think Sam Malone from the old show Cheers. The moment a new woman walks into the bar, he was splashing on whatever the heck he wore. I don't want to be that guy, and I definitely don't want to smell like him, so... I don't overspray, and I don't wear the typical guy-at-a-bar-hoping-to-get-lucky scents.

AdG really is a brilliant perfume, but I don't wear it because over the last decade and a half, it has been THE guy-at-a-bar scent. 1 Million is that too, on the younger side of things. Chanel Bleu is on its way to becoming that.

The way I see it (and it's A-OK with me if others disagree), there are so many thousands upon thousands of lesser-worn fragrances that I find it easy to avoid the massive best-sellers. Go to a bar on a Friday night and you'll smell things like AdG, Gucci Guilty, and Le Male. I'd rather wear something less common.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

In NYC, mostly generic and synthetic mess citrus fragrances, such as AdG, Allure Homme Sport, Dior Homme Sport, YSL L'Homme, and Bleu de Chanel.

The one time i checked out One Million Parfum, my girl said she didnt like it and it reminded her of something someone she went out on a date wore. Thankfully i did not care and have never cared for 1million as it is cloying and gives me headaches.

I prefer to wear something unique that i enjoy and forms a pleasant association with me by the people who meet me. The chances of that happening with a run of the mill popular frag is slim.

When you do smell a perfume on a man, its usually one of the same 5 scents since the 90's. Because i feel like most men just can't be bothered to put any effort into it. It may cut into game time.

Recently it's been Le Male a few times, AdG once, and Nautica Voyage once. Also what I'm assuming was some random Axe/Bod stuff at the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Le Male is one I often seem to smell on others. I'm sure there are others but that's the one that most comes to mind. As for frequency, I have no idea.

(3323)
    LeMale is number one for sure.

Also, how do I get these numbers after my posts?
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Curious about what the number means. Hednic is it the amount of bottles you currently own?

if your that hellbent on avoiding smelling like a high percentage of others id also go out of my way to avoid anything advertised on the television, however saying that, if you truly love a fragrance and your happy wearing it i wouldnt worry to much about what others think, but it is always nice if you feel more of an individual...

Here in the UK common advertised brands tend to be the typical designer house fragrances such as D&G, Armani, Hugh Boss, Chanel, Prada etc. Versaces new one is currently on TV alot. Thing is what if you actually sample one and you found to your suprise that its the best thing for you ever? I wouldnt go out of my way to avoid trying them if i was in a store that happened to sell these fragrances.
    Last edited by DMA; 23rd January 2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake!

Just about every man I know wears no cologne at all. I think that is a shame, but what can you do? I guess I set the standard. At least my Elder at church smells awesome. Still don't know what he wears, though. My teenage son smells great so he will carry our banner into the future.

Here is the USA, so few guys are wearing cologne that there is certainly nothing that "everyone" ( or even 5 out of 100) are wearing.
    It is hard to relate to the things I read here about how, like in the UK, 1 Million is smelled all over the place.
    Here and there and I smell cologne on other guys, but can't recognize any of the scents. One guy I actually asked said Cool Water.
    However, on 2 different occasions, guys asked me what I was wearing.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Basenotes Plus

I rarely smell perfume on guys in my day to day. Probably because I'm in a smaller town and don't go out much.. Last time I smelled perfume on guys was in high school - Polo - smelled great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CologneFan85

Its rare to smell fragrances on others where I am

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Here is the USA, so few guys are wearing cologne that there is certainly nothing that "everyone" ( or even 5 out of 100) are wearing.
    It is hard to relate to the things I read here about how, like in the UK, 1 Million is smelled all over the place.
    Here and there and I smell cologne on other guys, but can't recognize any of the scents. One guy I actually asked said Cool Water.
    However, on 2 different occasions, guys asked me what I was wearing.
    Cool Water smells fantastic on a lot of dudes. My father in law rocked it well. Never really worked for me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    same here!

Cool water and ADG mostly.

I work around a lot of young people and the most common fragrance is One Million. Probably 7 out of 10 wear it with the others favouring Lynx or their natural... scent.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Chypre Palatin
    2) APOM Pour Homme
    3) Interlude Man
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Mamluk
    6) Kouros (Vintage)
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    9) More than Words
    10) Le Male (Vintage)

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    Including women? I think a women should always smell nice. Nice doesn't mean drowning themselves in Nikki Minaj. But a little perfume on a woman goes a long way

It would seem peculiar to me personally not to be wearing scent but in the 'local' market town aquatics seem the most popular amongst the younger guys & something resembling a jar of sweets crossed with Shalimar amongst the girls, particularly during summer.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    It seems to me that, in the U.S., most men only wear fragrance when they're trying to impress a mate (or potential mate). An Average Joe hanging out with the guys probably isn't wearing fragrance. An Average Joe hanging out with a group that includes women, especially women he might be interested in, is much more likely to be wearing a fragrance and wearing it badly because he's going overboard in order to get her attention. That's where the whole Cologne Guy stereotype comes from. Think Sam Malone from the old show Cheers. The moment a new woman walks into the bar, he was splashing on whatever the heck he wore. I don't want to be that guy, and I definitely don't want to smell like him, so... I don't overspray, and I don't wear the typical guy-at-a-bar-hoping-to-get-lucky scents.

AdG really is a brilliant perfume, but I don't wear it because over the last decade and a half, it has been THE guy-at-a-bar scent. 1 Million is that too, on the younger side of things. Chanel Bleu is on its way to becoming that.

The way I see it (and it's A-OK with me if others disagree), there are so many thousands upon thousands of lesser-worn fragrances that I find it easy to avoid the massive best-sellers. Go to a bar on a Friday night and you'll smell things like AdG, Gucci Guilty, and Le Male. I'd rather wear something less common.
    Agree....Great post. For OP: Million is what I smell the most of.
    Last edited by Navyy8; 24th January 2014 at 10:10 AM.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

I rarely smell fragrance on others. I'm going shopping today so I will sniff some folks at Nordstrom.

Most of the popular department store frags like Le Male, ADG, etc. Albeit good, very mainstream.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Armani Code and unidentifiable aquatics on the younger crowd, Grey Flannel and Aramis on the older guys.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

1 Million

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexic Rooster View Post
    ...unidentifiable aquatics on the younger crowd.
    True - I was at the local IGA (minimart) yesterday after work, and I passed by two guys in their late 20s or early 30s, and although the fragrances they were wearing could just be told apart, they both smelled so similar yet nondescript. Certainly nothing about which I could say "I know that fragrance".

I checked Sephora, Ulta, Macy's, Fragrancenet, Fragrancex, and Amazon for their top sellers. Ignoring gift sets, which might actually skew the numbers a fair amount, AdG was the clear winner as the top seller at 5 of the 6 sites. It is interesting that it was not the most mentioned in this topic. Le Male came in 7th, based on a very weak point system of placement and frequency in the top 10 of each site mentioned. Polo Red was 5th, for all of its fans on BN. Adn along with these sales, the number of bottles of Unbound, Just For Me, G Eau, and 360 Red may contribute further to thinking there is a greater amount of AdG on the streets, just like Cuba Gold, 360 White, and those numerous torso shaped bottles of knockoffs could increase the incidences where one thinks they smell Le Male.

The geographic and social differences mentioned in these few posts does seem to help my own observations, in that smelling a fragrance on another man has been an extremely rare occurrence. Not being one for clubs, it probably doesn't matter much what I wear day to day as a man in his thirties going about daily routine, as there never seems to be another wearer. If there is, their fragrance is probably fairly muted with light application or projection and sillage of limited degree by design. My own skin does not seem to help any scent push out very much anyway, so smelling like anyone else is a hard thing to do when barely smelling like anything outside of a very tight bubble.

Worrying about who else smells the same does seem a little strange, considering the availability of even some "niche" brands, their smell-alikes or knockoffs, and how most people don't worry so much about who else might be wearing the same shoes, watch, or shirt. At a formal event, seemingly no men complain about the number of tuxedos around them. Even in business the standard suits of navy blue, charcoal gray, or blue blazers with odd trousers are seen as expected and accepted attire without a whole lot of individuality, particularly when white and light blue are considered by many to be the only safe and required dress shirts in a wardrobe. There must be something about smell that distinguishes itself from sight that I'm missing for men's presentation.

Worrying about who else smells the same does seem a little strange, considering the availability of even some "niche" brands, their smell-alikes or knockoffs, and how most people don't worry so much about who else might be wearing the same shoes, watch, or shirt. At a formal event, seemingly no men complain about the number of tuxedos around them. Even in business the standard suits of navy blue, charcoal gray, or blue blazers with odd trousers are seen as expected and accepted attire without a whole lot of individuality, particularly when white and light blue are considered by many to be the only safe and required dress shirts in a wardrobe. There must be something about smell that distinguishes itself from sight that I'm missing for men's presentation.
    Well, the difference is that this is a fragrance-based website. People here are fragrance snobs. I'm sure on a shoe forum, where people spend vast amounts on shoes, those people wouldn't want to be seen wearing the same shoes as everyone else - as if they are just "common" people who cant tell a loafer from a slipper.

Most men don't care about smelling like a lot of other people. Most Basenoters do.

Worrying about who else smells the same does seem a little strange, considering the availability of even some "niche" brands, their smell-alikes or knockoffs,
    I personally don't "worry" about it. I don't "worry" because when I'm sniffing a scent, if it smells very common, I don't buy it. There are thousands and thousands of choices, but if you like smelling like Joe Average, buy the same ones most guys wear. Rock on. Problem solved.

most people don't worry so much about who else might be wearing the same shoes, watch, or shirt.
    If you're most people, that's cool. I'm not. It seems like everybody this year is wearing puffer jackets. They're everywhere this winter. I'm not a follower, so, I don't need one. Even when it comes to shoes, while I do enjoy a pair of Converse, I don't go for the basic ones you see everywhere. I like the ones that are more unique. But, hey, that's me.

Also, keep in mind that a pair of shoes is just one element in a person's visual appearance. Do you usually wear all kinds of different scents at the same time? One for your head, one for your chest, one for your legs, and another for your feet? Of course not. That's silly. A swimsuit would be a better analogy since, when you're at the beach or at the pool, that might be the only thing you're wearing... in that case, do you want to buy the exact same swimsuit as most guys (or most women, since I don't see a gender in your profile). Where's the style in that?

At a formal event, seemingly no men complain about the number of tuxedos around them. Even in business the standard suits of navy blue, charcoal gray, or blue blazers with odd trousers are seen as expected and accepted attire without a whole lot of individuality, particularly when white and light blue are considered by many to be the only safe and required dress shirts in a wardrobe. There must be something about smell that distinguishes itself from sight that I'm missing for men's presentation.
    At a formal event that requires a tux, that specific attire is required. There's no requirement to wear AdG. Also, at a formal event, if you pay attention, you'll notice that men tend to find ways of making their formal attire not identical to what everybody else is wearing.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to wear AdG, Le Male, D&G Light Blue, etc. If that's what makes you happy, rock on. There are so many thousands upon thousands of other choices that, when I smell something and know I've smelled it (or something similar) millions of times before, I choose something else. Different strokes for different folks.

There must be something about smell that distinguishes itself from sight that I'm missing for men's presentation.
    It's called Individuality. Not everybody wants to be just like everybody else.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 25th January 2014 at 11:44 PM. Reason: and they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same :)

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Well, the difference is that this is a fragrance-based website. People here are fragrance snobs. I'm sure on a shoe forum, where people spend vast amounts on shoes, those people wouldn't want to be seen wearing the same shoes as everyone else - as if they are just "common" people who cant tell a loafer from a slipper.

Most men don't care about smelling like a lot of other people. Most Basenoters do.
    Im not so sure its a case of being a snob, I think its more a case of people here do there research, there obviously thinking about fragrance to even browse this website.

I live about 30 miles away from central London, and id probally take a guess at most men dont think to hard about fragrance. I think there just happy as they are, its not of upmost importance to themselves... How many times have i been choked out on a humid summers day by guuys wearing suffocating amounts of One Million? Its quite common. They wouldnt even no that you should be wearing a light fresh style fragrance in summer heat, or if they do no they dont appear to care. I think as long as they smell what they percieve as nice, thats all that matters...

I have to also add i find this whole men rarely fragrance in the USA thing bizarre. Thats definitley not the case here in the UK. From teen years most boys want to wear fragrance, its considered grown up, sexy, and attractive to the opposite (or same sex) and a natural part of hygiene and grooming. This usually stars out by a relative buying the young mans first fragance, probally a gift set that you can purchase around Christmas time, and so the habit forms. You wouldnt go to work in an office in the Uk and not wear fragrance, or it would be very rare, even an office junior at 16 or 18 years old, its just a normal part of life...

Perhaps, it just seems a bit puzzling to me. There is an obvious shared appreciation of many scents, but at the same time no desire to have people around a member own the same thing, or at least wear it. Tools, cars, guns, flashlights, clothes, accessories, A/V equipment, phones, hair styles, it just really interests me how nothing else really engenders that same feeling, at least anything I can detect in online discussions. Even tattoos often demonstrate fellowship with shared and repeated designs without issue, despite how extremely personal such an undertaking is with the permanence and intimacy of the final product and the wearer's body. There are those who get bespoke or the highest priced items available, but they are not the norm, and that doesn't even seem to be the case here. Even a solid designer receives reviews where the user is glad no one else seems to be wearing it. Just something that struck me as curious, nothing more than that.

clothes, accessories, hair styles
    I don't think this is true. It is probably also important to distinguish between people not minding others on a forum, i.e. others they don't physically interact with in real life sharing the same scents, clothes, hairstyles, tattoos, etc.

I feel strange when I find someone wearing the same thing. Here I'm being more specific than saying someone else wearing jeans boots and t-shirt. Jeans are all very similar, but if the t-shirt had a distinguishing design and someone I met was wearing the same one I wouldn't like it. I think that this is because these kinds of choices go to our identities, or the identities we try to project through our consumer choices.

The same applies for scent. So while I'll happily recommend one of my favourite scents, say CdG's 2Man on the forum, and based just on Basenotes it is a very popular scent, but if I actually started coming across many people wearing it I think that would put me off.

There is also often a degree of snobbishness/hipsterism in defining our identities with our consumer choices and asserting our superiority based on a better knowledge of scents. I think that, even if it is subconsciously, one might be striving to say, I'm not like everyone else who is just duped by advertising and popularity, my choices are informed and based on knowledge that most people don't have.

Don't mistake me for someone who has to buy the most expensive. Yes, I own scents by Creed, Amouage and Tauer, but I also own scents that cost me as little as $7, and I wear the heck out of them.

Personally, I think you're overthinking this whole thing. For me, when it comes to buying any item I'd wear, it's as simple as "Do I like it?" and "Is it too common?" I'm talking about any key element of style, be it a pair of glasses, a new coat, or even a fragrance. Some people don't care if a scent is too common, and that's cool. Some people actually want to wear whatever is popular, because they want to be like everybody else, and if it makes them happen, then that's cool too. Figure out what makes you happy, and do that. I like wearing a scent that is less common, and since there are so many thousands of options, finding something fantastic that isn't too common is pretty easy.

Some people in life strive to be individual and different, and sone people dont. Thats the way it goes...

My ex partner came round to me home recentley and was going through my samples in my wardrobe (with my approval i must say) and he immediatley fell in love with my favourite sample i had. A few weeks later he went out and bought that fragrance, consequently i will now not go out and buy that even though i had every intention of doing so in the future. if it was someone at a great distance from me in life then that would be different, but i dont want to be smelling exactly the same as someone else close to me in life...

Yes, and that is really part of the equation that seems a little contradictory. To think, "I'm different from others by choosing the highest quality", when that measure of quality is the number of people who positively rate the item. It is a funny thing to watch the arguments over who is smarter among Android or iPhone users, they can both quote huge numbers of brethren, yet that means little. They are all just consumers consuming.

I don't think there any unique Converse shoes, they are mass produced and distributed globally. The same holds true for most fragrances discussed and available. I could wear Le Male here and actually be in rare air, due to the general lack of fragrance use among my peers in my area. I could encounter a hundred other men and not smell Le Male. That doesn't make me or Le Male unique, despite being in no worse than the 99th percentile. So I would just wear Le Male because it smells nice to me (though I don't own it), because even though it is "different" for me and my situation, it isn't really all that different at all. I actually do wear BdC, and no one has recognized it in six months. There apparently is no overlap between people familiar with BdC and people I've encountered in that time, at least those who would mention it.

I wouldn't alter the wear of a tux because that is considered poor form by some. I might have one or two buttons, notch, peak, or sash lapel, use or avoid a pocket square. These are differences, but none are unique as they are all known and common options. Similar for shoes. If I have a pair of black cap toe balmorals, very few people could tell if they were Lobbs, Aldens, AEs, or Florsheims, despite the huge differences in price and quality. There is that aspect that I adhere to, in that an old way of thinking of how a man acts is to follow some line of "common" sense in style and presentation. Do things a certain way, respond in a certain way, keep style choices within a certain envelope. At a formal event, it is left to the ladies to flourish, and a man is not meant to attempt to upstage them with flourishes that tarnish the "armor" or "uniform".

This is certainly not something everyone nor anyone else should be forced to adhere to, just a bit of my own thinking on the matter and not any admonition of any other person's style. Just trying to see how that reconciled with the perceptions and experiences of others was the purpose of this topic. As mentioned, the situation in the UK is very different, and the ability to express individuality through fragrance is different from what I am familiar with. "Everyone else" is very different "everywhere else".

...most people don't worry so much about who else might be wearing the same shoes, watch, or shirt...

... There must be something about smell that distinguishes itself from sight that I'm missing for men's presentation.
    I agree with the "most people" part of the first statement, but if you go to style sites like styleforum or superfuture, you will see some behavior analogous to what we have here. I was once verbally attacked on another style site (which I won't name) for apparently having bought too many items that one of the self-appointed style gurus there owned, and was accused of "biting", or copying his style. I explained to that member that I wasn't aware of every purchase he made and it seemed that I simply liked the same designs, but I don't think he believed me.

I am starting to see your point, though, and I think there is something slightly different about the perception of having a unique, or at least not common scent, even compared to having a very limited edition pair of sneakers, leather jacket, or bag. What it is, I am not yet able to verbalize.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Yes, and that is really part of the equation that seems a little contradictory. To think, "I'm different from others by choosing the highest quality", when that measure of quality is the number of people who positively rate the item.
    Who said anything about highest quality? Buy what you like. If wearing something very common appeals to you, go for it.

I don't think there any unique Converse shoes, they are mass produced and distributed globally.
    No worries. Don't buy 'em. Problem solved.

This is certainly not something everyone nor anyone else should be forced to adhere to
    Exactly. Do what you like. I don't like wearing the same scent as most guys, so I don't. If you do, go for it.

Does anyone remember those best buddies in high school class who always copied each other? We all had a pair in class not matter where in the world you went to school...

One bought a pair of trainers or a bag, and then other one had to also.. They were literally like twins..

I guess when we was naive and young we may of called it fashion, but being a bit more mature we can see it as being down right tacky and annoying. Its is what it is, if people are happy like that and not harming anyone else then theres nothing wrong in it, each to there own, but alot of people dont want to be like that...

Aqua di gio is what I think of immediately.

The top three I always smell are Aqua di Gio (360 red), Hugo Boss, and Jean Paul Gaulitier. The thing about ADG that bothers me is that my best friend wears it religiously. He's in no way broke or anything but he's very reluctant to get a different cologne. I've tried giving him samples and asking for his opinions on stuff to try to get him out of his little "safe zone" but he won't. It's very annoying haha everyone here knows that the fragrances are a form of art. There's a lot of beautiful and complex scents out there always waiting to be sniffed/smelled/enjoyed/and discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Who said anything about highest quality?
    I am assuming that was where Darjeeling was going with comments about expressing greater knowledge through purchases. This could be wrong, but my assumption is that greater knowledge equals the acquisition of higher quality goods.

I do own a pair of Converse, they are blue brushed leather.

Also, as I mentioned, I can wear just about anything considered common by most BNers and still be unique here. Aspen and Interlude Man both work about as well in that singular facet, all other qualities ignored. I rotate through my 16 bottle active collection, small by standards here and unheard of by plenty of others.

Zatarain, I have no understanding of it myself, but can only guess that there is some deep connection with scent that is emotionally different from visual appearance. In that, people acknowledge that the look they have is handled by the clothes, and it remains separate, a construct that changes at the whim of the wearer - but the scent, they claim some ownership of it, that it is associated with their being like it is a part of them. But no one looks the same without their clothes on as when dressed, and no one smells the same without their fragrance applied as when without. It may be the strong connection to taste and memory that our mostly visual interaction with the world places further into the background, making it more visceral.

What would happen if a wearer of a rare scent, say Patou Pour Homme, encountered someone else wearing the same? Would there be a mutual nod of acknowledgement and shared appreciation between aficionados, or would there be a feeling of violation that taints the opinion of one or both?

Spiritueuse, Homage Attar, Clive X.

I am assuming that was where Darjeeling was going with comments about expressing greater knowledge through purchases. This could be wrong, but my assumption is that greater knowledge equals the acquisition of higher quality goods.
    Not necessarily, but my perception is that many do. I see plenty of posts on the forum where people purport to be able to tell the "quality" of a scent.
    I think what I am referring to is the thought process where people have read about and acquired knowledge regarding scents. Even if it is just to the extent of having sampled and read enough to know what they like and dislike in scents so it could apply to someone who has gone to the trouble of finding great value drug store scents that they like or to those who might be seeking out scents that have a sandalwood accord that is like genuine mysore sandalwood. It can apply to all parts of the spectrum.

I've never encountered someone wearing the same scent. I'm not sure how I'd react. It could potentially be annoyance that it smells better on him/her than me. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd even recognize it as the same scent due to how it wears on different people and the fact that I'm not used to smelling it at a distance/in sillage. I suspect my reaction would be no different than if I found someone dressed in the same clothes. I'd feel slightly embarrassed and I'm not even sure why.
    Last edited by Darjeeling; 26th January 2014 at 02:29 AM.