Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What does everyone else smell like?

Quote Originally Posted by maricle View Post
    I am assuming that was where Darjeeling was going with comments about expressing greater knowledge through purchases. This could be wrong, but my assumption is that greater knowledge equals the acquisition of higher quality goods.

I do own a pair of Converse, they are blue brushed leather.

Also, as I mentioned, I can wear just about anything considered common by most BNers and still be unique here. Aspen and Interlude Man both work about as well in that singular facet, all other qualities ignored. I rotate through my 16 bottle active collection, small by standards here and unheard of by plenty of others.

Zatarain, I have no understanding of it myself, but can only guess that there is some deep connection with scent that is emotionally different from visual appearance. In that, people acknowledge that the look they have is handled by the clothes, and it remains separate, a construct that changes at the whim of the wearer - but the scent, they claim some ownership of it, that it is associated with their being like it is a part of them. But no one looks the same without their clothes on as when dressed, and no one smells the same without their fragrance applied as when without. It may be the strong connection to taste and memory that our mostly visual interaction with the world places further into the background, making it more visceral.

What would happen if a wearer of a rare scent, say Patou Pour Homme, encountered someone else wearing the same? Would there be a mutual nod of acknowledgement and shared appreciation between aficionados, or would there be a feeling of violation that taints the opinion of one or both?
    I like the Converse that are low top slip ons with no laces. They freak people out a bit, though! They're great for just slobbin around town.

I am assuming...
    Do you know the saying about what happens when you assume?

my assumption is that greater knowledge equals the acquisition of higher quality goods.
    As I said, I think you're overthinking all of this. You're trying to intellectualize perfume as if it were a mathematical equation. Greater knowledge of perfumes has led me to the acquisition of more scents I enjoy. That's what it's all about. It's about pleasure.

What would happen if a wearer of a rare scent, say Patou Pour Homme, encountered someone else wearing the same? Would there be a mutual nod of acknowledgement and shared appreciation between aficionados, or would there be a feeling of violation that taints the opinion of one or both?
    There's no correct answer that question since the answer will be different for every person. I've never come across anyone wearing the same scent I was wearing, but whenever I notice someone wearing a scent I own, I usually grin. I can only think of two times it's happened, and both times, I remember thinking "That guy has style." I wouldn't feel that way if it happened all the time though. If it happened all the time, I'd probably start to feel like my taste was boring.

While walking home today, I passed a guy who was wearing either AdG (or something close to it). We were standing on a street corner waiting for the light to change and the wind was blowing his scent in my direction. It smelled nice, of course. AdG smells nice. It's a smell we've all smelled a million times. Go to any bar in the evening and you'll probably smell it on somebody. There's nothing wrong with being that somebody if it makes you happy. I like wearing something less common. I don't seek higher quality goods. I seek scents that I'll love wearing.

Jubilation XXV by Amouage is a perfect example. That's some very high quality stuff, but it doesn't do it for me. Hanae Mori HM is probably nowhere near as high quality, but it smells great and it wears fantastically on me. Am I saying HM is better than Jubilation? No. I'm saying I enjoy it more, and that's what matters.
    Anybody want to get rid of H.O.T. Always? Andy Warhol? I've got vintage M7 & others in my swap list here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I like the Converse that are low top slip ons with no laces. They freak people out a bit, though! They're great for just slobbin around town.
    Here's a great tip! Those are awesome when laced too. You just have to remove a tiny bit of stitching along the eyelet holes near the toe in order to lace them up, but it's easy to do. I usually buy a pair of them during Nordstrom's annual men's sale. I get some really cool looking ones for around the same price that the basic ones usually sell for. Man, those are comfy!
    Anybody want to get rid of H.O.T. Always? Andy Warhol? I've got vintage M7 & others in my swap list here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Here's a great tip! Those are awesome when laced too. You just have to remove a tiny bit of stitching along the eyelet holes near the toe in order to lace them up, but it's easy to do. I usually buy a pair of them during Nordstrom's annual men's sale. I get some really cool looking ones for around the same price that the basic ones usually sell for. Man, those are comfy!
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I would like a pair of Onitsuka Tiger slip-ons, they have some really nice color combos, imo. Terribly off-topic, but hey, I started the topic

I also didn't care much for XXV, and ended up getting Interlude instead.

Out of my 16 bottles, only 2 are niche, and everything bought at a discount as large as could be found at the time, so I don't chase down scents by a high price = high quality belief, either.

This was a topic to find out what scents were so popular as to be avoided by some, or just what was found to be popular by anyone. It is overthinking, as it was created as a topic of discussion to spur some dialog, while what gets bought and sprayed by me follows a similar theme as others: it's just whatever I like. Some posts on BN came across as curious to me, both in specific fragrance being called too common, though not really mentioned as to what "common" meant (hence the request for some estimation of frequency, something I don't know at all) but also to see if it was really narrowed down to specific bottles or perhaps just families. As has been posted, this topic as well, aquatics/marine are seen as common, mainstream, and in overabundance, but even something like MI likely isn't going to be encountered too often. Perhaps even less so with Sel Marin, Tirrenico, Sandflowers, or others.

Post Thanks / Like

montales, azzaro chrome type fragrances, allure homme sport type fragrances, DHI
    Last edited by joov84; 26th January 2014 at 04:24 AM.

Some posts on BN came across as curious to me, both in specific fragrance being called too common, though not really mentioned as to what "common" meant (hence the request for some estimation of frequency, something I don't know at all) but also to see if it was really narrowed down to specific bottles or perhaps just families.
    Like I said... you're way overthinking it. A bit of common sense comes into play here. If I've smelled it being worn by lots of guys, I don't buy it. I don't whip out a calculator and a protractor to graph it out in order to make a scientific conclusion.... I just sniff, and if it smells like something I've smelled many times before in bars, or around town, or wherever... no thanks. It's not about being a snob though. AdG is excellent, and some of the copies are outstanding too. But they're everywhere... Part of the fun of exploring fragrances is finding the uncommon gems. And since my budget is tight, I'd rather spend my money less uncommon stuff. I feel like I get more bang for my buck if a scent smells great and is also unique.

Before I ever found basenotes and the online fragrance community, if I was at a fragrance counter and the sales assistant was chatty, I'd always ask the same questions: "Which ones do you think should be popular, but aren't? Which ones are you shocked that most guys aren't buying?" I asked an SA that a few years ago at Sephora, and she said "Oh my god. You need to smell this!" And then she handed me a bottle of Gucci Pour Homme II. GphII is marvelous, and it doesn't smell like any of the ubiquitous Average Joe scents. And a bonus for me: I get 10+ hours of longevity from that stuff!

AdG. GphII. Both great, but I'd rather buy GphII.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't need a spreadsheet or a bell curve, but just an indication of what others consider to be common. Such as, do they ever actually smell it in their area, or is it based on the number of YT videos, fragrantica comments, or the sales position? Also, some posts have indicated that it takes only one person among their friends and acquaintances to turn someone away from a fragrance. That doesn't really mean common in frequency, more the familiarity increasing the likelihood of wearing the same thing around the same person. Again, this isn't for me to calculate some purchase or sample regimen, it was just to find out a little more about what others are thinking when they post these things.

Post Thanks / Like

i keep smelling the same fragrance recently on guys at work...it is a citrusy woody scent...almost orangy.seems to have great longevity because it seems to last throughout their 8 hour shift.don't know what it is but i notice this on two of my doctor coworkers and a few patients that i have seen...i don't have the balls to ask the one doc because he seems to be the cologne guy..don't want to make him uncomfortable..you can smell him even before you see him..he has a bubble around him even if the wind is blowing in the opposite direction..its like gamma rays
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting lanky, would you say with high confidence that it is the same fragrance on all of them? I only ask because there are comments, and it has happened to me, where a person would say "Is that XYZ?" or "That smells a lot like ABC" and it isn't that scent. Not only are there scents that mimic others closely, but there are trends in fragrances that may seem to make a specific fragrance more common, where it may be just the popularity of the theme it carries. Such as the aquatics, the sweet gourmand types, the "Iso E Super bombs" etc.

To bring it back to Bleu de Chanel, I have read dozens of posts where it was called generic, and dozens more where someone said it didn't smell like anything else. So there is that commonality that can be recognized, but the specific notes are not in other fragrances in the same presentation. That is something that may lend itself to fragrances being avoided in the pursuit of smelling unique, while the chance of someone else wearing the same is actually a bit low. But where does that line exist? Do many people use that as the distinction and not the specific brand and bottle?

But there is not pressing need to expand the discussion in that direction, I appreciate just the naming of particular fragrances all the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Even when I go out to clubs, I hardly ever smell another scent. But when I do it's always a Hispanic dude(props to them for always smell'in good!)
    lol....i also have noticed that the Hispanic population in my area seem to wear fragrances more than other ethnic groups along with the middle easterns here in NJ.
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Quote Originally Posted by lanky View Post
    i keep smelling the same fragrance recently on guys at work...it is a citrusy woody scent...almost orangy.seems to have great longevity because it seems to last throughout their 8 hour shift.don't know what it is but i notice this on two of my doctor coworkers and a few patients that i have seen...i don't have the balls to ask the one doc because he seems to be the cologne guy..don't want to make him uncomfortable..you can smell him even before you see him..he has a bubble around him even if the wind is blowing in the opposite direction..its like gamma rays
    Hilarious.

I wouldnt expect a doctor to wear cologne for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like TDH.

Post Thanks / Like

lol....i also have noticed that the Hispanic population in my area seem to wear fragrances more than other ethnic groups along with the middle easterns here in NJ.
    The Hispanic guys and gals in our fave restaurant are always wearing scents. They are the exception around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    I work around a lot of young people and the most common fragrance is One Million. Probably 7 out of 10 wear it with the others favouring Lynx or their natural... scent.
    Yep, I'd agree with this. I also smell Le Male up in town at night and Hugo Boss during the day

Well, I don't need a spreadsheet or a bell curve, but just an indication of what others consider to be common. Such as, do they ever actually smell it in their area, or is it based on the number of YT videos, fragrantica comments, or the sales position?
    For me, none of that stuff matters. Common means in real life.

Also, some posts have indicated that it takes only one person among their friends and acquaintances to turn someone away from a fragrance. That doesn't really mean common in frequency, more the familiarity increasing the likelihood of wearing the same thing around the same person.
    It DOES mean common in frequency if you hang out with that friend frequently, but really, it's more about not wanting to have both of you be wearing the same scent around the rest of the people you hang out with. This is just common sense. If you both own the exact same jacket, would you want to wear yours, or would you rather pick something else? I'd pick something else. But if you don't mind looking like (or smelling like) you're copying each other, go for it. Do what makes you happy. If I had a friend who wore Tom Ford For Men all the time, I wouldn't wear that one when we'd be hanging out together. I'd pick something else. No biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Yep, I'd agree with this. I also smell Le Male up in town at night and Hugo Boss during the day
    Hugo boss? I actually don't know what that one smells like. Now you've got me curious! If I smelled it, I wonder if I'd recognize that one as one I smell a lot of.

On the flipside... I wish I didn't feel so awkward about asking strangers what they're wearing. I was on a crowded train the other day and somebody smelled great. Really great! Part of me was dying to to say "OK, one of you smells amazing. Who is it? Fess up." I kept kind of leaning and sniffing to see if I could figure out who it was, but that didn't work at all. Bummer!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    Its rare to smell fragrances on others where I am

Really? (Unless it's a faux location and you reside elsewhere, and if that's the case, carry on.)

I live in a small town that's tantamount to living in the middle of nowhere, and smelling fragrances on others is rather scarce. I smell Acqua di Gio here and there. I usually smell Axe or Old Spice body sprays. Or Bod. Or, *cringe*, back in the day I used to smell a lot of Tag. What ever happened to Tag?

Every now and again I might smell Polo, but that it's just by chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    In NYC, mostly generic and synthetic mess citrus fragrances, such as AdG, Allure Homme Sport, Dior Homme Sport, YSL L'Homme, and Bleu de Chanel.
    A bit harsh to call AHS, and DHS synthetic messes. They are a notch above most sport style designer frags.

Post Thanks / Like

It DOES mean common in frequency if you hang out with that friend frequently, but really, it's more about not wanting to have both of you be wearing the same scent around the rest of the people you hang out with. This is just common sense. If you both own the exact same jacket, would you want to wear yours, or would you rather pick something else? I'd pick something else. But if you don't mind looking like (or smelling like) you're copying each other, go for it. Do what makes you happy. If I had a friend who wore Tom Ford For Men all the time, I wouldn't wear that one when we'd be hanging out together. I'd pick something else. No biggie.

It isn't really common because the frequency of people encountered would be one. You wouldn't call a custom fragrance blended for your wife a common perfume just because you see her every day (if you have a wife, just an example). Your choice is to not wear the fragrance your friend owns, but you didn't mention selling it or never buying it in the first place. Others have posted such things. I'm just asking questions to delve a little deeper into things people have already voluntarily offered to a public forum for the purpose of a little more discussion on the matters. I'd like to get a little more about the circumstance and the motivations for the various choices.

Every once in a while I check Groupon Goods to see if there's any good deals on frags, and today I noticed something strange. They had Gucci Guilty for Men listed, except it was SOLD OUT. I had previously never seen this before for any frags on Groupon Goods. I guess this must be one of the most popular scents out there, but maybe we aren't smelling it on anyone because the projection/sillage is poor?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheIceman View Post

Really? (Unless it's a faux location and you reside elsewhere, and if that's the case, carry on.)

I live in a small town that's tantamount to living in the middle of nowhere, and smelling fragrances on others is rather scarce. I smell Acqua di Gio here and there. I usually smell Axe or Old Spice body sprays. Or Bod. Or, *cringe*, back in the day I used to smell a lot of Tag. What ever happened to Tag?

Every now and again I might smell Polo, but that it's just by chance.
    Too funny! I saw Hollywood as his location too and thought "what?! No way!!" Then again, maybe I'm just automatically associating west Hollywood.lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    A bit harsh to call AHS, and DHS synthetic messes. They are a notch above most sport style designer frags.
    Totally!!!

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Hugo boss? I actually don't know what that one smells like. Now you've got me curious! If I smelled it, I wonder if I'd recognize that one as one I smell a lot of.

On the flipside... I wish I didn't feel so awkward about asking strangers what they're wearing. I was on a crowded train the other day and somebody smelled great. Really great! Part of me was dying to to say "OK, one of you smells amazing. Who is it? Fess up." I kept kind of leaning and sniffing to see if I could figure out who it was, but that didn't work at all. Bummer!
    Man, I woulda asked him. I have absolutely no shame when it comes to asking guys what they're wearing, if I really like the scent.
    Current Favorites

1. Amouage Reflection Man
    2. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Divine L'Homme Sage
    4. By Killian Back to Black
    5. Amouage Interlude
    6. Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé (2004)
    7. By Killian Rose Oud
    8. Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
    9. Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme
    10.Creed Royal Water

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TMAdidas View Post
    Aqua di gio is what I think of immediately.
    Yes indeed

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Butter and calone.

Post Thanks / Like

Aqua di Gio
    1 Million
    Carolina Herrera 212

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Man, I woulda asked him. I have absolutely no shame when it comes to asking guys what they're wearing, if I really like the scent.
    I sometimes ask, but in this case, I couldn't tell who it was. The train was really crowded. I couldn't even narrow down if it was a man or a woman. The scent smelled masculine to me, but it also smelled like the sort of thing a woman with style could totally pull off. I did make an effort to weave through the crowd in hopes of figuring out who it was, but... no luck. Bummer!

I live in the rural south....and Issey Miyake, the Polos, AdG, Light Blue, and Le Male are the ones I always smell.

I worked in a well known British supermarket for a few months last year and the two smells that stuck out to me on other male customers were 1 million and acqua di gio. I caught a smell of something like Terre Dhermes or encre noire once which made a nice change.