Code of Conduct

Default Parfums de Marly Herod, is it worth the Youtube hype?

I was wondering what your thoughts were on Herod by Parfums de Marly. Now, I don't buy into the hype train that occurs with a lot of the more mainstream type of niche fragrances but this one has peaked my interest. It is described by one Youtube reviewer like a cross between Tobacco Vanille, Pure Havane and Back to Black. I own and love both Pure Havane and Tobacco Vanille and while I really like Back to Black I didn't think it was necessary to own all three. I have been looking to find a sample of this and I managed to find one on the site that I use every so often to sample fragrances that aren't readily available to me. Let me know if you guys have any experience with this fragrance and what you think of it.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Default Re: Parfums de Marly Herod, is it worth the Youtube hype?

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    I was wondering what your thoughts were on Herod by Parfums de Marly. Now, I don't buy into the hype train that occurs with a lot of the more mainstream type of niche fragrances but this one has peaked my interest. It is described by one Youtube reviewer like a cross between Tobacco Vanille, Pure Havane and Back to Black. I own and love both Pure Havane and Tobacco Vanille and while I really like Back to Black I didn't think it was necessary to own all three. I have been looking to find a sample of this and I managed to find one on the site that I use every so often to sample fragrances that aren't readily available to me. Let me know if you guys have any experience with this fragrance and what you think of it.
    I own it as I do all the others in the line and I personally love Herod, one of my preferred in the non-Arabian breed group. After you sample it, I'd love to know what you think.

(3376)
    Last edited by hednic; 24th January 2014 at 05:22 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I think it also smells like Spicebomb, but little less bomb in the spice and little more tobacco. I don't get enough vanilla to compare it with Tobacco Vanille or BtB. I was given a sample when I bought another from this brand and I definitely thought Herod was bottle worthy. Parfums de Marley makes quality products, all the samples I've tried from the line I liked pretty well. Spicebomb clone? Maybe.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's a light TV IMO..
    Phaedon's Tabac Rouge is a better version..

Well, it doesn't smell like dirty socks. But I do think people are exaggerating a little. It didn't break any molds, and it does actually smell like spicebomb now the someone mentioned it!

Only if you are fan of TV which I'm NOT!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I don't get TV out of it personally (maybe the vanilla?), but I was able to sample this and really liked it, Ill be picking up a bottle in the future.

It is a very nice scent. To me, it is very similar to TV, but with a little more tobacco. Very nice, but if you have TV, it may be a little redundant to own both.

This one actually smells more like Ambre Narguile with a tobacco note to me than it does TV. That being said, I prefer both AN and TV to this fragrance. Herod is just okay, especially for the price.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Seems to be a lot of mixed reviews on this one. I want to try it but I cant pin down a sample first off and I cant make up my mind if I really want to try it. Is it like TV or not? Vanilla, tobacco, honey??? Which is it and in which order? I only like TV. I cant get by the chocolate chip cookie vibe I smell. The order of these three to me is TV, Pure Havane, and then Back to Black. I absolutely love B2B. Should I try it?

You can order samples from First in Fragrance, that's where I got mine from. It took ~2 weeks for my order and that was over the Christmas\New Years Holiday. I would say it wouldn't hurt to sample it at all, that way you know for sure and the cost would be minimal.

Too soft to be compared with TV, in my opinion. Scent wise, its nice. But for that price range I prefer another houses.

Enviado do meu Galaxy Note usando TapaTalk 4

I think it's great and prefer it to TV. TV is basically unwearable for me because of its huge projection. I also find it too sweet. Herod is softer and drier, more masculine as well. You can wear it anyplace you'd wear, say, Pure Havane.

Whats the main player note-wise?

Tobacco I guess.

Enviado do meu Galaxy Note usando TapaTalk 4

i sampled it once. spicebomb is the first thing that came to mind. its closer to spicebomb than it is to TV. its more creamy, sweet and full than spicebomb.

Hmmm.....I like Spicebomb too....may have to try this one