Code of Conduct

Thread: Smell Bent

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Smell Bent

Either this is the most comical, entertaining or childish site..
    Depends on your point of view
    They do have some interesting sounding scents based on the pyramids but we know how that can be..
    I have only tried Hungry Hungry Hippies and thought it was a slightly above average gourmand..
    Any others worth a shot at sampling?

https://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0SO...om/scents.html

Default Re: Smell Bent

What a great website - they even tell people how to store their bottles!

Has anyone else tried any of these?

yeah - actually the site is more professional than I was expecting. Never tried any of the scents, but I have heard of them - and actually expected far worse based on this: http://www.fragrantica.com/designers/Smell-Bent.html

I would be interested to hear feedback on some of these - if they are just as horrible as the marketing, or if they are delightful and quirky.

Some look interesting, not sure about the vanilla but they do samples, so maybe... will read the rest of the website whilst waiting for some more info.!

http://smellbent.com/north_by_northwest.html

http://smellbent.com/ACCIDENT.html
    Last edited by lpp; 25th January 2014 at 01:42 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I just purchased Commando & Horny Little Devil...
    Thanks for letting us know about this site.

Surprised they didn't have a perfume named "For Leather."

I really enjoy their fragrance called "Violet Tendencies" I used to like one of their leather scents (Lemon Cowboy! thanks Mike). VT smells very much like the Allan Cumming fragrance that Christopher Brosius makes (CBIHP) called Cumming, with a lavender and fresh violet opening over the peaty heathered leather.

Over the years I've tried many of their fragrances. This is a brand that is a great example of ingenuity and "just do it" attitude. Brent, the owner, is an active Basenotes member who decided to take his passion for fumes to the next level. The blending of the notes is kind of rough and the packaging is sort of childish, but funny as hell. For the fragrances, the guy has great taste! He risks some really unusual combinations from a full spectrum of natural aromatics, florals, incense woods and funky animalic musks to arrive at some innovative and very fun fragrances. The product is cheap, but they smell really good. There is no snob appeal with this brand, put them on a pedestal and they will knock it down. This much is obvious from their website. But, they smell good. I recommend Violet Tendencis, but try the sampler packs to get an overview.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 26th January 2014 at 03:36 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    yeah - actually the site is more professional than I was expecting. Never tried any of the scents, but I have heard of them - and actually expected far worse based on this: http://www.fragrantica.com/designers/Smell-Bent.html

I would be interested to hear feedback on some of these - if they are just as horrible as the marketing, or if they are delightful and quirky.
    ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTFULLY QUIRKY
    Fun and very affordable non-pretentious niche.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

They're great for what they are -- and the scents are more pro than the irreverent imagery suggests. Many are camp, playful titles, but the scents are totally solid. One example is Brussel Sprouted, which would sound rank in theory, but is actually a great coniferous forest floor type scent. Brent's also a really nice guy, and there should be some stuff in Huddlerspace that I wrote about regarding some of his involvement with the IOA.

Here's an ad for one of his latest: a collaboration with IOA, Austin Young and featuring the awesome Deven Green: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGYIe7oJPaQ

Smell Bent is somewhere between Etat Libre d'Orange and CBIHP, so if you're up for fun, creative, camp, and provocative work, check them out. Those who were "outraged" by the Slumberhouse site might want to tread with caution though as there's some cheeky fun to be had here. And for those into the stanky stuff, Commando is excellent. Plus his infamous #8 is totally sniff worthy (and not nearly as scary as it sounds).
    Last edited by deadidol; 25th January 2014 at 06:09 PM.

Haha, really cool, thanks for posting, D.I.

Basenotes Institution

Brent, the owner, used to be a buddy of mine here on BN. He was always a big fan of musky, skanky scents (we discussed this at length via PM & threads). When I was in Los Angeles, many years ago, he actually met me for dinner & he is very funny and has a wonderful sense of humor. You can see this translated in the brand, their marketing, etc. But he is a serious perfumer.

He also did a non-Smell Bent Limited Edition scent, for the store/website Scent Bar/Luckyscent called No. 8: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=31712

When he started the line (in 2009) they were all oils, now of course he does alcohol-based scents also. One of the scents (which I believe is discontinued) I absolutely loved because it was simultaneously citric and juicy and skanky/leathery, it was called Lemon Cowboy. I didnt' like the fact that it was an oil (I tend to find oil based scents are difficult for me to apply and I only own a few oil based scents, mostly oud ones), but if he had made LC in a alcohol-based scent I think I would have bought a bottle. This came in a sampler pack with these scents: Lemon Cowboy, Incensed, Debonair, Hungry Hungry Hippies!, Horny Little Devil and Commando
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th January 2014 at 06:38 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    When I was in Los Angeles, many years ago, he actually met me for dinner & he is very funny and has a wonderful sense of humor.
    I just saw him on Tuesday

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I just saw him on Tuesday
    Tell him I said 'wuzup'
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I've heard good things about commando, and generally lighter musks/vanillas do well on my skin, but I fear it may go more on the fecal side.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I've heard good things about commando, and generally lighter musks/vanillas do well on my skin, but I fear it may go more on the fecal side.
    It's no scarier than Absolue pour Le Soir's animalics, so you should be okay. It's closer to MKK's crotch aesthetic though.

The only time I made a blind buy was for two Smell Bent fragrances; fucking terrible. I would never buy from them again. The quality was the pits. The fragrances smelled off. I threw them away, having learned a very expensive lesson; never blind buy. At least not from Smell Bent.

Default Smell Bent

^ Some are definitely better than others, but there's a lot more than two in the collection!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    The only time I made a blind buy was for two Smell Bent fragrances; fucking terrible. I would never buy from them again. The quality was the pits. The fragrances smelled off. I threw them away, having learned a very expensive lesson; never blind buy. At least not from Smell Bent.
    Do you recall which 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Do you recall which 2?
    And how much were they? Smell Bent is usually the opposite of "very expensive" -- in fact, that's their whole approach: inexpensive. They also have a lot of clearance sales where you can pick stuff up for just a few bones.

Debonair is a non-gourmand (to me) vanilla scent that doesn't get cloying. Ingredient quality seems high, but it's not especially complex, as one would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Do you recall which 2?
    One was Commando. I love MKK so thought I would enjoy this. It smelled sour and thin, and dull. The other, and the name escapes me, was supposed to be a Violet; it smelled bad. The Ionones and Methyl Ionones had gone off, and it smelled more like Methyl Ionone terpenes ( a by-product that used to be used in Industrial Reodorants); really nasty. I would give Commando maybe 1 or 2 out of 10; the Violet thing 0 out of 10. I don't remember how much I paid, but whatever it was, it was too much. Never again.