Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Saturday, 25 January, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a super day!

Eva Kant - O'Driu.

26139740-1327.jpg
    Last edited by lpp; 25th January 2014 at 08:58 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Saturday, 25 January, 2014.

Good morning all !. Awoke with an urgent need for an old school powerhouse to blow away the horror of yesterday's evening sample.

Venturing out into the morning mist with Balenciaga PH (light application essential, IMO).

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 25th January 2014 at 08:44 AM.

queen of the universe

I stayed up the night enjoying a house to myself, not even minding the wind rattling the windows. Newly empty-nested, as my son, home after 8 days in hospital will be staying down the street with my daughter and her husband for the foreseeable future. The change of scenery will be good for all of us. His big sister has always been a girl with a plan, and they have always been close. Myself, I took a bath in the last drops of my vintage Weil Secret de Venus bath oil, followed by another spicy comfort scent, Tabu parfum.

I'm about to start a thread: Today I Finished, to celebrate exuberant consumption, getting to that last drop, not holding back.

Pleasant day to all.

P1040096.jpg
    P1030673.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Onwards & upwards - looking forward to the new thread, jujy54!

Sorry to hear about the sample Jon - what a good job that it wan't a full bottle!

Basenotes Plus

Thanks to my dear Roberto for the beautiful flowers in yesterday's SOTD thread. xxoo

I'm in Diorissimo.

Wish you all a lovely day.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Saturday, 25 January, 2014.

Have all a very happy weekend

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Hello all. Miller Harris Terre d'Iris.
    DONNA

Good afternoon.

This morning I sprayed Tabac by AbdesSalaam Attar; then I took advantage of some shopping in a department store to spray on some Guerlain: Jicky, Mitsuko and Habit Rouge. How I love the latter! I've been browsing here a bit about the current version- I guess I'm not equipped yet to delve into vintage searches!- it isn't judged bad, it seems...
    I know we have true experts here, I'd love to hear their precious words...
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

It would be nice to know how the experts rate Habit Rouge, iodine - the one that I always remember was in a dark red, opaque bottle - occasionally available on Ebay, but beyond my means!
    If the newest stands up 'though...

Basenotes Plus

Good morning! We're expecting more snow, wind and cold today and possibly blizzard conditions tomorrow.

To combat the cold I'm trying a sample of Puredistance M this morning. I'm really liking it so far. The notes are bergamot, lemon, rose, jasmine, cinnamon, patchouli, moss, cistus, vetiver, vanilla, leather and musk.

Have a great day!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 25th January 2014 at 01:17 PM.

Last edited by Xscent; 25th January 2014 at 01:50 PM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Kiliwia you smell marvellous and you have no idea how happy you have made ExtremeK and I.

iodine love Habit Rouge. I'm no expert but I have the modern and find the citrus/vanilla/leather combo with some powder and incense is wonderful. From what I can remember of the vintage the modern version to me smells more edited, less dense.

Jon please put on an extra spritz? I need to smell something non aquatic all the way over here in Oz.

Missing home, Rose 31 today and I need my fragrance equivalent of a cuddle so it’s Bois des Îles this evening, extrait and lots of EdT.

Last edited by Xscent; 25th January 2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Crappy slow hotel wi-fi.

It's very cold, off to the horse, wearing the warm, spicy and comfortable Tabu. Which will be layered with eau de Cheval.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

We've just had an enormous thunder storm here, complete with hail and rain that stopped me from being able to see down the road properly, and I'm still clearing up after our central heating disaster from Thursday so I'm rejoicing in a lovely spritz of Aqaba to keep me warm.

Thursday morning, lying asleep in bed, the world suddenly got very hot, wet and noisy. The central heating radiator had sprung a leak and powered very well by the pump on the boiler, we suddenly had a very hot fountain in our bedroom. Thankfully we had work done on our central heating recently so the water in the system was relatively clean and while everything was rather wet, it wasn't stained with rust or black sludge and I know where we keep the adjustable spanner so after a quick dash to turn off the heating and find buckets and towels, the valves were shut and the fountain stopped quite quickly.

That just left me with a nice bill to have the radiator replaced and the mother of all cleaning up, drying off and laundry jobs to get it all straight again. I'll just about be straight by the time the new radiator is up and working tomorrow I think

Glad to hear that your son is out of hospital jujy
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Blue Aoud by Mancera

(3421)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Creed- Jardin D'Amalfi

Top- Petitgrain, tangerine, mandarine, pink pepper berries, lemon, bergamot, neroli

Heart- Virginia cedar, apple, Bulgarian rose

Base- Vetiver, white musk, cinnamon

Last edited by kumquat; 25th January 2014 at 04:11 PM.

OMG SFMedusa - what a nightmare scenario!
    Hope all is back to normal soon.

We just had that thunder/hailstorm too about an hour ago.

I am chilling in Donna Karan Wenge and listening to an amazing track
    by Bruce Springsteen, that seems to have been below my radar all these
    years (New York Serenade.) It is just sublime! So glad I found it eventually.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Blog Entries

Hi all,

We had the storm here too sfmedusa; l just made it home from grocery shopping before getting a soaking. Glad your heating disaster didn't do too much damage!

Twinned with Xscent in Bois des lsles today. Having decanted my sample into a spray vial, l'm getting a little more throw this time.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    We've just had an enormous thunder storm here
    Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    We had the storm here too sfmedusa; l just made it home from grocery shopping before getting a soaking.

Ditto here - arrived back from a pub lunch just as the wind whipped up and the heavens opened. Within an hour all was tranquil again.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

Creed- Jardin D'Amalfi

Top- Petitgrain, tangerine, mandarine, pink pepper berries, lemon, bergamot, neroli

Heart- Virginia cedar, apple, Bulgarian rose

Base- Vetiver, white musk, cinnamon

Wonderful, kumquat . Creed UK are stocking the 30ml travel size on their website and this could well be my next purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Jon please put on an extra spritz? I need to smell something non aquatic all the way over here in Oz.

Fancy a sledgehammer scent ?. 3 sprays this evening ....

Don't just settle for a fragrant cuddle when a real one awaits too ? - breathe in and come to moi
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 25th January 2014 at 05:43 PM.

Yikes, sfmedusa! I hope your home and pocketbook recover!

Finally got a chance to put on the Black Orchid that I'd been wanting to smell all week but forgetting to wear.

ETA, thank you for the wishings of wellness, yes the drugs worked and migraine went away. They aren't as bad as they used to be, were never frequent (though very very intense in my 30s - childbirth does not compare, pain-wise, to a bad migraine) and sumatriptan injection has worked as rescue medicine at least 95% of the time for about 15 years now. The medicine is outrageously expensive, but it does work.
    Last edited by Robin-in-FL; 25th January 2014 at 05:39 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Oh dear, sfmedusa, glad you got it under control-- what a mess!

It's still very cold and windy here. I'm in a cozy scent, Camile edp by Camille Beckman. For years I wore the "glycerine hand therapy"
    cream in this scent and when I saw the edp, I snagged it.

Hello all! This morning, I'm wearing a sample of Frederic Malle Iris Poudre. So far, this is a no for me, just not my style at all. It is a pleasant, uninteresting scent to my nose.

sfmedusa, what a nightmare that sounds like. I guess I'm glad that no water is involved in the heating of my home after hearing your story!
    Last edited by danieq; 25th January 2014 at 05:51 PM.

Hello all,

I am blissfully content in a haze of Marni this fine Saturday morning. I pulled the trigger on it yesterday on a whim influenced by dear Quarry. I originally purchased Coco Mademoiselle and during lunch had second thoughts so exchanged it for Marni. I thought a more popular mainstream scent would add variety to my wardrobe but in my heart I am more drawn to the oddities.

Regarding extreme weather, California is entering a severe drought condition. I don't mean to be insensitive about blizzards and all, but I am sick of 80 degree weather and sunshine day after day. I want fog and rain!

Blog Entries

Trilby, I hear you! Yesterday there was a young girl interviewed on the news who couldn't understand why the schools remained open. She thought it was dangerously cold. She wasn't wearing a hat or scarf or gloves or even a coat. Only a hooded sweatshirt. :-(. I mean come on, make an effort! It's January! They have to send notes home to parents to remind them to dress the children in sweaters and long pants so they can try to save in heating costs in schools. It's ridiculous!

PS, Jon, Ruh Roh, 30ml? I might have made big mistake! I could have saved big money, maybe. Darn it. Oh well. I'm now the proud owner of a "hand blown " bottle. (Big deal.)
    Last edited by kumquat; 25th January 2014 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post

Fancy a sledgehammer scent ?. 3 sprays this evening ....

Don't just settle for a fragrant cuddle when a real one awaits too ? - breathe in and come to moi
    Jon Giorgio is a very fine sledgehammer, it should take care of that sickly aquatic haze from this morning. You're a good soul, I'll take that hug and give you another right back. Forgot to mention I saw a Bali Starling while on holidays, apparently it was a rare treat as they are endangered.

teardrop happy to have twin!! Especially one smelling all cosy and gorgeous.

sfmedusa goodness that's some clean up job, glad you're alright.

Robin good migraine medication is worth it's weight in gold. Hope you are feeling better today.

Danieq have you tried Carnal Flower, Portrait of a Lady or Une Fleur de Cassie? I find these more interesting compositions and might be more to your liking.

Must control my impulse to draw a giant smiley face in red lipstick all over the beige hotel walls. Best be off to bed.
    Last edited by Xscent; 25th January 2014 at 06:37 PM.

Wearing Weil de Weil Parfum de Toilette again today. This is my first blind buy that works for me but it doesn't seem to last too long on me. Must go in search of a reasonably priced bottle of extrait.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

sfMedusa, sorry to hear such disasters happening to you

I don;t get it either, either you dress according to the weather, or stop whining.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Institution

Everyone sounds like that was a pretty nasty storm.
    jujy54 - I'm sure that you & your son, even though he doesn't live at your place any more, will continue to stay connected and close. I'm sure he knows he has an awesome mom.
    iodine - Habit Rouge, eh? I love that scent, own vintage EdC, vintage EdT, EdP, L'Extrait, a decant of the discontinued Dry and vintage Deodorant. Plus Shower Gel. If you like the modern EdT then you owe it to yourself to sample the vintage EdC or EdT. But be careful: HR does not always age well and I've bought a few bottles that were a bit off...so buy with caution. The EdP is a bit more woody and oud-y, with a decidedly 'brown' element. The Extrait is deliciously rich and close-to-the-skin, not really citric at all. There's also many flankers (Light, Sport, L'Eau), but I never liked any of them. BN member rubegon is a HR purist, you might want to look for some of his comments on threads about the scent.
    sfmedusa - OMG I would have freaked out. Sounds like you handled it efficiently and calmly as possible.
    Quarry - like a few others, I was prompted to buy some Marni samples off of eBay last week. I smelled it once, at Neimans, but I was already overloaded with other samples on my arm at the time. I want to give this a full wearing. Something about the rose and cinnamon speaks to me. Plus I love that perfumer, she's from Prada, right? Andrier?
    Xscent - that post about wanting to draw a smiley face in lipstick made me giggle out loud. Do it!!!!

I went to bed super late, so now I'm all whacked-out...and totally behind in my chores/errands. (sigh) Feel like sampling something from my ever-growing pile of samples...

((reaching into bag without looking)) I happened upon...

Quercus by Penhaligon's

Wearing it now, it smells...aquatic. Oh lord. Wish me luck [Edit: I just read the reviews - that's it! It smells like CK One, which I used to wear when I was in my teens. Memory-flashback!]
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

(((sfmedusa))) -- good grief! I'm glad you were able to handle it with such aplomb, but you could do with a bit less home-related excitement, I think

Kiliwia, hooray! M makes me dizzy with enjoyment. It's a flashback powerhouse that just oozes skanky, opulent leather. LOVE!

I'm dying for a good blizzard. Like 18-24" worth. We so need moisture.

It's a chilly, sunny day, really quite lovely. I'm thinking about spring and landscaping and wearing Sonoma Scent Studio Voile de Violette -- one of my all-time favorite violets. Tonight I'm going out with some girlfriends and, thanks to Xscent's power of suggestion, I'll be dousing myself in Frederic Malle Une Fleur de Cassie. Awesome floral skank.

Thanks Xscent and Mike- I was waiting for you! - for your thoughts on HR! I'll let you know, for now I'll just keep smelling greedily my left wrist!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Evening All,

I was twinned with Iodine today in Habit Rouge (EdT). I'm not generally a fan of opoponax, but here it just works.
    For years I loathed the scent, but one day it just clicked for me. Perhaps I'll come around to Derby, too.
    To the England contingent, I can report hail and thunder was experienced in Cambridge this afternoon.
    Best to everyone.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

(((sfmedusa)))

Marni is odd, 'tis true. Happy to be associated with the off-beat.

Boucheron today.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

summer means fireflys

I'm testing April Aromatics Rose L'Orange today. I've put off testing this one because of the rose, and I was right ... it is not for me. Too rose-y. Oh well, can't like 'em all.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. I'm off to watch the KU basketball game. Go Jayhawks!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    It's very cold, off to the horse, wearing the warm, spicy and comfortable Tabu. Which will be layered with eau de Cheval.

Hi, Tabu scent-twin. Switching to bewitching vintage rarity, Weil Noir for the evening. Snowed in with chicken soup and the Godfather. Besides, Noir rises above the VapoRub and is actually pretty compatible!
    Last edited by jujy54; 25th January 2014 at 11:11 PM.

Sampling Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum / "A New Perfume" I'm not getting the big industrial weird notes--mostly the lilac and well, the brown sticky tape! It's nice. Pretty soft. Not much tenacity.

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    Wearing Weil de Weil Parfum de Toilette again today. This is my first blind buy that works for me but it doesn't seem to last too long on me. Must go in search of a reasonably priced bottle of extrait.
    Hi, Betsy, Weil de Weil in extrait is rare. I have good luck with the PdT, mine is in the triangular footprint bottle. I apply to the back of my forearms, the hair seems to hold it. Oh, and since I have a 4 ounce splash bottle, I must say I lavish it, neck, cleavage, crook of elbow, etc. It's not overpowering even in generous application.

Scent twins with XScent today in the beautiful Chanel Bois des Iles.

(((sfmedusa)))
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Basenotes Institution

I ended up liking the Quercus better than I expected to. It's like a richer more extravagent version of CK One. It made my day, full of running difficult errands, a bit nicer.

This evening I had dinner with a bunch of guys, one of them a dear man who has been sort of a 'mentor' of sorts who is celebrating a big milestone in his life. Comfort food + good conversation + lots of laughter. The weather also, strangely, warmed up nicely.

I bought a fantastic new pair of Timberland brogues, with the coolest brown felt-like color and flourescent orange heels. So friggin cute! I also found this adorable Mossimo sweater with a basset hound embroidered on it. I wore both to dinner - to lots of compliments. Dressing for the evening, I felt like wearing something rich, formal and elegant so I reached for:

Heritage vintage Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

Every time I wear this I think of BN member (who doesn't post on here anymore) scentemental. I bought my bottle from him. Such a rich, almost overindulgent scent. This stuff just radiates class to me. I always feel like a million bucks when I wear this.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Pleasures Estee Lauder
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Guerlain Nahema.

Hugs to juji, sfmedusa, mike and everyone wishing for more snow.

Speaking of more snow, 30R., I wanted to mention yesterday: how cold is it inside your house? We keep our thermostat at 58F during the winter months, wearing sweaters and long warm pants, but sleep very comfortably.

Working through some samples at one point I had What we do in Paris is secret, Charlotte from Annick Goutal and Nuit de Tuberuese from L'Artisan.

As it turns out, I did not go with Une Fleur de Cassie for my night out with the girls. No, I slathered Puredistance M on every pulse point I could reach. I smelled magnificent.

I also had a fabulous beer cocktail with a chai porter (from a local brew pub), vanilla bean, and bourbon. And I taught a local bartender how to make a Kentucky Mule. The manager came over, wrote down the recipe, and it's going on their menu now, on the rocks in a copper mug rather than up. Also terrific that way.

And now, a little tipsy, it's sleepy time. 'Night all!

Welcome, ladybird!
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 26th January 2014 at 05:41 AM.