Code of Conduct

Default Have you tried Vegan/Organic based colognes?

Default Re: Have you tried Vegan/Organic based colognes?

Wow. Someone just told me about this while I was riding my fixed gear bike in a Sunday morning tweed ride to a coffee collective in the pouring rain. We started talking because we were both wearing 1980s Vuarnets we found at a garage sale. It was amazing. I'm going to put it on my to-test list.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    Wow. Someone just told me about this while I was riding my fixed gear bike in a Sunday morning tweed ride to a coffee collective in the pouring rain. We started talking because we were both wearing 1980s Vuarnets we found at a garage sale. It was amazing. I'm going to put it on my to-test list.
    He he he.

Zero7786: claims to veganism in perfume is largely a marketing ploy. On the one hand, most perfumes (at least 95%) are made from synthetic chemicals -- no animals are harmed in the construction of your juice. The ones that use natural elements, still rarely use anything related to an animal as natural musks are out of the question as far as cost goes. Animal musks that have been key players in perfumery for years such as civet and castoreum have what are called "replacers" -- synthetics that stand in and do a decent enough job. So the bottom line is, outside of some occasional beeswax, you'd be hard pressed to find perfumes that actually are not vegan in their construction.

But on the other hand, here's the twist: Many (all?) of these synthetics, at one point or another, were tested on animals before they hit the market. So when a company brags about their vegan status, there's a) a good chance they're simply trying to appeal to the kind of fixed gear-tweedster Wheatstraw outlined above (or it's variant) and b) an even greater chance that despite their "we don't test on animals" claims, many animals have suffered to make their product. The Body Shop is one of the most notorious for this with their "we don't test" campaigns. Just because they themselves aren't stabbing kittens in the eyes with their lipsticks doesn't mean that some scientist isn't doing that behind the scenes and they're using the results to create said lipstick.

There are grey areas involved in this -- and some companies are certainly a little more genuine -- but the second you see a "vegan" sticker on something like this, I'd activate your cynic muscle as it's a little bit like putting a "vegan" sticker on a bottle of water in an attempt to persuade some unsuspecting water drinker than all other water outside of "vegan" water is loaded with pork and gravy or something.
    Last edited by deadidol; 26th January 2014 at 01:56 AM.

Well said by the previous posters.

Vegan pretty much could apply to most perfumes nowadays. The real constraint is natural and organic: if true (and there is a big if because it's very hard to verify), this implies very serious constraints to what a perfumer can do. which means that in most case the thing isn't likely going to smell good (or long lasting). But there are exceptions (for instance, Aveda, as far as I know, at some point advertised itself as organic, and its perfumes aren't bad. It's just that more or less all tend to smell herbal-patchouli).

cacio