Code of Conduct

Default The New Patou Pour Homme....

I feel this is important enough to warrant a new thread, as a warning.....
    During a recent visit to Berlin I visited the Galleries Lafayette department store where they now have Patou Pour Homme.
    I have the original formula version of this fragrance and know it well.
    I was shocked when I tried the new PPH. It has absolutely nothing to do with the original version. To my nose it's a completely different fragrance. I find no connection whatsoever between this and the original fragrance.
    I was able to get a sample, so when I returned to France I did a back to back test to be absolutely sure. These are two completely different fragrances.

.....and I find it fraudulent that Procter & Gamble describe the new PPH on the front of the packaging as "Collection Heritage".
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Default Re: The New Patou Pour Homme....

When I first did my own comparison months ago, I would have agreed that they were starkly different but not in a bad way. However, now the more I wear the new version the more it reminds me of the former that sometimes I forget which one I have on.

(3432)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I have found a similarity. In each phase, it reminds me of the original fragrance.

I'll be staying away from the new version - i only have the aftershave of the vintage PPH, happy & content with it...

Good to know, david. Thanks
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...emons-Batucada

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

OK - I will be the heretic and admit that I prefer Tuscany per uomo by Aramis to the original Patou pour homme.
    Pph is great, just not my cup of tea. Glad I only purchased a sample. YMMV
    I smell marshmallows!

It would help if there was more specificity. For example, were natural-smelling aromatic notes replaced with "sticky synthetics?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCloud View Post
    OK - I will be the heretic and admit that I prefer Tuscany per uomo by Aramis to the original Patou pour homme.
    Completely agreed. I was much more tempted by Tuscany than PPH.

As stated by several Basenoters before, the new version is different from the original because some of the original ingredients are not even available today, and some are "banned" (IFRA). I am sure that the new perfumer who has been consulted by Jean Kerleo himself has done his best with the new version - those who prefer the original version luckily have a chance to buy the original, the price is high though.
    For sale (Worldwide): Dark Aoud, Jazz Prestige, Ungaro I Edt + Aftershave, Versace L'Homme Vintage etc.

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Thomas Fontaine, the house nose job was to showcase the rebirth of the house. The smart thing to do was to do something different than the original which is exactly what he did, but failed miserably. The new Homme is just a nice scent, but releasing mediocrity will be the death of this house, not a rebirth. Thomas should have spent more time with this one, and just focused on an Homme that rocks. Wait it does, it rocks me to sleep!
    Last edited by thebeck; 26th January 2014 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCloud View Post
    I am a fan of both PPH vintage and Tuscany, but to me they are completely different fragrances. I find Tuscany Forte, (unfortunately discontinued) to be an incredible version of Tuscany. Far superior to the edt version.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Thomas Fontaine, the house nose job was to showcase the rebirth of the house. The smart thing to do was to do something different than the original which is exactly what he did, but failed miserably. The new Homme is just a nice scent, but releasing mediocrity will be the death of this house, not a rebirth. Thomas should have spent more time with this one, and just focused on an Homme that rocks. Wait it does, it rocks me to sleep!
    To be fair to Mr Fontaine, he was probably asked specifically to create a "contemporary" version of the classic....."to appeal to a new generation of".......blah blah blah, etc....(mismanaged marketing corporation bullshit - you get the picture.....

So we have ended up with this juice.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    It would help if there was more specificity. For example, were natural-smelling aromatic notes replaced with "sticky synthetics?"
    I am trying to be as specific as possible by say saying that these are two completely different fragrances that have nothing to do with each other. It's not a case of P&G trying to create the original fragrance and failing because of natural/ synthetic variants to the original formula. They have created a brand new fragrance, very different to the original. They have given this new fragrance the same name as the original fragrance and had the added nerve to call it "Collection Heritage".

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    As stated by several Basenoters before, the new version is different from the original because some of the original ingredients are not even available today, and some are "banned" (IFRA). I am sure that the new perfumer who has been consulted by Jean Kerleo himself has done his best with the new version - those who prefer the original version luckily have a chance to buy the original, the price is high though.
    I truly believe that with all the technology now available P&G could have easily copied the original fragrance and got very close to the original using alternative ingredients. I suspect that all along this was never their intention. They were looking for a modern fragrance to be issued under the old name.....like so many other houses have done eg Gucci "Pour Homme", Givenchy "Pour Homme"....etc, etc, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I truly believe that with all the technology now available P&G could have easily copied the original fragrance and got very close to the original using alternative ingredients. I suspect that all along this was never their intention. They were looking for a modern fragrance to be issued under the old name.....like so many other houses have done eg Gucci "Pour Homme", Givenchy "Pour Homme"....etc, etc, etc....
    I have smelled the new one, and I absolutely agree with David here. It is marketing... that's what it's about.

The new one has precious little in common with a decant of the vintage that I have (the top of which has gone slightly off, alas, but I can still see where it's coming from). Also, my wife doesn't like the new one at all... I do though, I think it's actually not bad when judged on its own merits.

I can nevertheless also see where Hednic is coming from, since there are "hints" of the vintage version, something like, "inspired by" vintage... but honestly, if it didn't have the name Patou pour homme I probably would not have noticed this.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Completely agreed. I was much more tempted by Tuscany than PPH.
    I have a partially full bottle of the original PPH.(1980s?) For me it is a 'sometimes' wear. I do like it but, as others have said, Tuscany is more of a 'go-to' choice by a long shot. I squirreled away a small stash of the 'old' 100 ml spray bottles of Tuscany that I picked up some years ago from a blow-out sale of frags from my local Costco. They were $19.95 each, and I immediately snatched the remaining five.
    Last edited by kbe; 26th January 2014 at 05:57 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

So on its own merits, is the new release worth a crap? I've asked it before and I'll ask it again, what among contemporary scents can I compare it to?

The only leads I have are Tuscany and Neutrogena Rain Bath. Really, guys? That's all I have to go on? I'm losing heart here.

I am a fan of both PPH vintage and Tuscany, but to me they are completely different fragrances. I find Tuscany Forte, (unfortunately discontinued) to be an incredible version of Tuscany. Far superior to the edt version.
    Yes, I have a bottle of Tuscany Forte and I prefer Tuscany per uomo. The original has a bright lemon note on my skin that remains throughout its duration. When I received my Patou pour homme spray sample, I compared Pph to Tuscany, then Tuscany to Forte. The original Tuscany per uomo is my favourite. All 3 are great fragrances, Tuscany is what I want to smell like. YMMV
    I smell marshmallows!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I have a partially full bottle of the original PPH.(1980s?) For me it is a 'sometimes' wear. I do like it but, as others have said, Tuscany is more of a 'go-to' choice by a long shot. I squirreled away a small stash of the 'old' 100 ml spray bottles of Tuscany that I picked up some years ago from a blow-out sale of frags from my local Costco. They were $19.95 each, and I immediately snatched the remaining five.
    Good man! That's like a vintage dream come true. Every fragrance lover should - at least once in their life - stumble into a find like that!!!

My first sniff of Tuscany was a revelation! Somebody sent me a sample, and I could not over how great it smelled, and how long the greatness lasted. I can't hear the words Tuscan or Tuscany without thinking of it.

Tuscany is a true treasure. Definitely niche quality and such an unbelievable price.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Talking of Aramis - I was going through some old samples at the weekend and came across one that I think is pretty similar to the new PPH - namely Aramis Devin. Add a rose note and it's more or less there.

I agree that the strong, natural-smelling aromatics are clearly "out of style," so I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to "go modern" and didn't think twice about how close they could get to the original, IFRA guidelines likely being the main hurdle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Talking of Aramis - I was going through some old samples at the weekend and came across one that I think is pretty similar to the new PPH - namely Aramis Devin. Add a rose note and it's more or less there.
    OMG - I loved that stuff, back in the day. Devin + rose would be a very nice fragrance. My ears are perked up!

i think the original patou will b never available for all ours noses

Thank you for giving me a straight answer as to a comparison point. You're the first person to do that.

Default The New Patou Pour Homme....

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    OMG - I loved that stuff, back in the day. Devin + rose would be a very nice fragrance. My ears are perked up!
    Yes, I think it is very nice, myself. Whether it is worth paying a premium for over Devin...I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Thank you for giving me a straight answer as to a comparison point. You're the first person to do that.
    Thanks. I had previously compared it to Vie de Chateau, possibly back in the Huddler interregnum, but I think Devin may be a bit closer. They are all similar green chypres anyway.

This is interesting Marais. I will give it a try.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I have a partially full bottle of the original PPH.(1980s?) For me it is a 'sometimes' wear. I do like it but, as others have said, Tuscany is more of a 'go-to' choice by a long shot...
    This has been my experience. And I love lavender. But, really PPH is not my 'type' of scent at all. I enjoy it and I'll never get rid of it, but I don't go crazy over it. That's why I'm not really interested in smelling the 'new' one.

Also, let me add that I love both Tuscany and Devin, but I do not think of either of them as a 'substitute' for PPH.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 27th January 2014 at 04:23 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

A green chypre. This is the first true reference point for me. I've perked up a bit more now too. I love devin as well. Trying to imagine a rose note thrown into the mix.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I'll be staying away from the new version - i only have the aftershave of the vintage PPH, happy & content with it...
    I also have the vintage PPH AS and am satisfied with it. I'll take the vintage AS any day over the "New" PPH.
    Last edited by sniffman; 10th March 2014 at 12:48 PM.
    thread reviver

smells like YSL pour homme but watered down also has a Capucci PH vintage vibe...not worth a single euro..imo!

Basenotes Plus

I recently bought a bottle of The New Patou Pour Homme
    I feel like I was robbed...
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ― Oscar Wilde

I asked about this at Saks, Neimans, Bloomies, none had it in ATL today. Sounds like I'm not missing much, though.