Code of Conduct

Default Sephora Sampler Set?

Hello, I'm pretty new to wearing men's fragrances and I'm thinking of getting a sampler set to try several different scents. I noticed that Sephora had a Fragrance Sampler for Men and I want to know what you guys think about the selection it comes with, would it be a good buy? It comes with the scents listed below, and then a voucher that I can bring in and exchange for an EDT bottle of the scent I liked most.

The scents listed are:
    Boss Hugo Boss - Bottled Night
    Bvlgari - Bvlgari Man Extreme
    Ermenegildo Zegna - UOMO
    Giorgio Armani - Acqua di Gio
    Givency - Gentleman Only
    Gucci - Guilty pour Homme
    Issey Miyake - L'eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male
    John Varvatos - Vintage
    Lacoste - Eau De Lacoste, L.12.12 Blanc
    Paco Rabanne - 1 Million
    Prada - Luna Rossa
    Ralph Lauren - Polo Red
    Yves Saint Laurent - L'Homme

Default Re: Sephora Sampler Set?

How much is it? Have you ever tried any of the ones listed?

The set costs 65$ and I'm a complete newbie so I haven't tried any of them yet.

With the voucher that they give you what size would you be able to redeem it for? Would you be able to redeem it for a small 2oz bottle or for something around 3.3oz?

Welcome!

As casual was saying, it depends on the voucher. These are frags you can smell in many stores, so I don't see the point of paying this much for the set when you can simply spray yourself if you stop by. So I think you should rather start checking a few frags in different styles in a store, and then go from there.

Edit: I saw on the website that for most you can redeem for a 50ml bottle (a couple for a 75ml). I'd say it's not worth it. Besides, what if you discover that your favorite perfume is not in the set? The set is relatively broad, but there are many worthy things not in the set.

cacio
    Last edited by cacio; 26th January 2014 at 01:46 AM.

As Cacio previously said, I don't think that sampler set is worth it to buy for yourself. Now, if you were buying that as a gift for someone, that's a different story! As a frequent shopper at Sephora, I can tell you that are much better fragrances that they sell at most of their locations that are not even included in that sampler set.
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!

As casual was saying, it depends on the voucher. These are frags you can smell in many stores, so I don't see the point of paying this much for the set when you can simply spray yourself if you stop by. So I think you should rather start checking a few frags in different styles in a store, and then go from there.

Edit: I saw on the website that for most you can redeem for a 50ml bottle (a couple for a 75ml). I'd say it's not worth it. Besides, what if you discover that your favorite perfume is not in the set? The set is relatively broad, but there are many worthy things not in the set.

cacio
    Thanks for mentioning the volume! I didn't read the fine print on how much the voucher was good for and assumed I would get a normal sized bottle but I guess it is only good for smaller bottles in most cases. In that case I agree with you, it probably isn't worth it.

Is there any disadvantage to sampling in a store? I can imagine the different fragrances interfering with each other, but maybe the difference wouldn't matter to a newbie like me anyway?
    Last edited by Colognel; 26th January 2014 at 02:13 AM.

The fine print is where they get you haha to put my 2˘ in I wouldn't recommend it either. You can find half of those listed on ebay/amazon for around $30-$40 for a full sized 3.0oz bottle. Always thoroughly check the feedback. I would suggest you don't rush out and buy anything. You might initially love something at first sniff but dont buy it right away. Wear it a couple of times. There's some scents that I love and smell really good on me, but after about an hour they might trigger a headache for me. That happens to me with L'homme and some other ones from different brands. Keep in mind that when you test one, it will smell different on your skin than it does on the test strip. Places like nordstrom and sephora are usually good with giving some samples for free so that you can take them home. Eventhough I personally cant wear l'homme I can wear its "flankers" La Nuit de L'homme and Libre. They are directly inspired by the original L'homme with the silver cap but they are a little different.
    Last edited by CASUAL; 26th January 2014 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colognel View Post
    Is there any disadvantage to sampling in a store?
    Just some SAs that sometimes feel like hovering over you while you try on different scents and the pressure that some put on you to buy. Nothing other than that at least for me.

(3438)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Another disadvantage to some SAs is that the average ones will really really push the fragrances that they like and only stick to talking about those. You don't know if their opinion is in the minority or majority for how good a fragrance is. I only talk to one SA at my local Sephora because he can appreciate the quality of almost any frag.
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

As for disadvantages in sampling in store, apart from what others were saying, there's nose fatigue. At the 5th perfume, your nose is pretty much gone and you have to wait. Also, you cannot spray more than a couple of perfumes on skin, and you want to try on skin to see how things develop over time. Paper is perfectly fine for first impressions, though - just bring a pencil so you can write on the paperstrip what you've sprayed. And then you can smell at ease at home, since paper keeps perfumes for much longer than skin.

cacio

I'd never pay that money for something I can go sniff I'm basically any store!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    apart from what others were saying, there's nose fatigue. At the 5th perfume, your nose is pretty much gone and you have to wait
    Colognel, you might notice salt shakers with coffee beans inside. Take a whiff of the coffee beans every now and then to reset your nose.

You could just go to Sephora and get free samples of those. No need to spend your money.