Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions and suppliers

Hey. I know decant sales aren't allowed here so I hope my asking for suggestions about decant sale sites is not inappropriate. Just starting out and macys is about as upscale a fragrance supplier as we have in Memphis at least for men so I need to turn to the Internet for samples and decants. Got some GIT from the decantshop website. Shipped fast but honestly seemed a little high. What the best site as far as value and trustworthiness? Also looking for suggestions for a 45 yo married man. I'm a realtor and my attire is usually business casual. Not really a suit guy. I bought the GIT just based on reputation. I like it but want to try some other stuff before sinking big dollars into a niche cologne. Don't know a lot about scent families etc so thinking I should try 2 or 3 different types of scents. Any suggestions?
    Jeff
    Using Tapatalk

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Suggestions and suppliers

I would try some of the more popular houses..

Chanel
    Guerlain
    Dior
    Creed
    Tom Ford

Although all are not niche-they have a wide variety of scents..

Also Bond No 9

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Surrender to Chance, The Crystal Flacon, probably more, are places to look - or Ebay.
    There's a 'Splits' board here as well.

Post Thanks / Like

there is also a small community that does decants called www.scentsplits.com

Quote Originally Posted by jbennett View Post
    Also looking for suggestions for a 45 yo married man. I'm a realtor and my attire is usually business casual. Any suggestions?
    Jeff
    Bleu de Chanel

(3493)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

+1 on Blue de Chanel

Also try;

Rive Gauche by YSL
    Platinum Egoiste by Chanel
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Versace Pour Homme

Surrender to Chance and The Perfumed Court do decants up to around 10ml I believe, although they get extremely pricey. Your best bet is to get in on a split.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleu de Chanel is a classic you can't really go wrong with. Egoiste/Platinum Egoiste are two other choices. I preferred Egoiste on my skin, but will probably pick up both.

As for decantshop, I've actually found then cheaper then so e of the other places when comparing prices. If go wherever the prices were the best for what I was looking for. Do t forget to look for coupons as well, most of the major sites have them so it's a little cheaper as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That crystal flacon site is interesting. Thanks Ipp. There seem to be individuals selling nice sized decants at very good prices.
    Using Tapatalk

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Macy's is notoriously stingy with samples and/or they never have any. If you don't really know what you like yet, I suggest going to the fragrance counter and sniffing a bunch of scents. Write down which ones you like best and then look at the notes when you get home (or, even better, on your phone right after you sniff the tester strip). Look for similarities in the notes of your favorites. This helps you learn what notes you like best and what certain notes smell like. I'd do this before buying samples online, so you don't just go in blind and buy a bunch of scents that you wont like. Pace yourself, explore, and make sure you skin-test a fragrance before buying a bottle. I buy samples from surrendertochance.

Go to Sephora. I'm sure there are a few of them in Memphis. No niche, but they have pretty much the same selection of designers as Macy's, and they will make you decants for free.

+1 on Bleu de Chanel, Versace Pour Homme, and Chanel Platinum Egoiste. I'll also add Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Terre d'Hermes EDT, and Dior Homme. You can get free decants of every one of these at Sephora.

My wife goes there all the time. I've always thought it was a womens store until now. Ill tag along next time maybe.
    Using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

For samples I suggest minnewyork.com, aedes.com, luckyscent.com and if you're interested in Amouage try parfumsraffy.com. MinNY samples are generally $5 each but they use more than the other sites and use spray atomizers. Aedes and Luckyscent both use dabber vials (which I hate). Europerfumes.com doesn't have samples of everything they carry but do have some (Montale for example) at a decent price. http://www.europerfumes.com/samples/

As far as decants don't forget the splits board on this site at http://www.basenotes.net/forums/142-...e-Splits-Board once you've found a winner.
    Last edited by chili_willi; 30th January 2014 at 11:28 PM.

Go to Sephora. For ordering online, I would suggest Surrendertochance.com

Basenotes Junkie The Colognnoisseur's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    Go to Sephora. I'm sure there are a few of them in Memphis. No niche, but they have pretty much the same selection of designers as Macy's, and they will make you decants for free.

+1 on Bleu de Chanel, Versace Pour Homme, and Chanel Platinum Egoiste. I'll also add Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Terre d'Hermes EDT, and Dior Homme. You can get free decants of every one of these at Sephora.
    Well said.

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA