Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question Recently Discontinued/ Due To Be Discontinued Fragrances......???

I recently found out, (quite by chance) that Fahrenheit Absolute is being discontinued. This really surprised me because it's not that old.
    Perhaps because there are now more new releases than ever before and stores do not have the shelf space....(?)...I am assuming that discontinuing too, will be hapening more than ever before.
    Does anyone know of other fragrances slated for discontinuation ?
    I am always extremely grateful for basenoters help on this issue !

I wish basenotes would start a sticky for "Recently Discontinued Fragrances".
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Recently Discontinued/ Due To Be Discontinued Fragrances......???

Good idea - why not, David

p.s - It would probably be better in General 'though so that they can all go in there.

Can move & stick at the same time.

The only trouble is that often things are reported as discontinued and it turns out to be untrue, how could these be verified before being reported?

Basenotes Plus

Maybe someone could list them, then update the first post when it's been confirmed?

Glad then that I have a full bottle of Fahrenheit Absolute in my collection.

(3486)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Dior Vetiver was dc'd last year but there is still some stock left. Pretty sure Mitzah is dc'd also.

Tom Ford Sahara Noir, Tobacco Oud and Oud Fleur are limited edition and Sahara Noir is already unavailable in some stores.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

I'm confused about future availability of L'Artisan scents. On their website, under Collections, there's a section marked "Last Chance To Buy". http://www.artisanparfumeur.com/shop...ce-to-buy.html
    Seeing scents listed there has caused some to believe they were no longer going to be produced. Now I'm not so sure what it means.

There's a comment on Fragrantica dated 8/2/13 from member irenebenitoj that asks about Dzing!. http://www.fragrantica.com/news/L-Ar...umeur-Christma
    She mentions Dzing! being on the "Last Chance" page. Now Dzing! is no longer on that page; it's still being sold on the site.

The LCTB scents now include Coeur de Vétiver Sacré, Ananas Fizz,, Mimosa pour Moi, Drole de Rose, Bois Farine, L'Eau de l'Artisan and Fleur de Liane. Another perfumista recently wrote to L'Artisan and asked specifically about Traversée du Bosphore and was told emphatically that it was not being discontinued. So, I remain perplexed about what "Last Chance To Buy" means.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Maybe Dior is focusing more on the Dior Homme line?
    Tommy Bahama Original and one other is or has been discontinued

Somebody stated that Macy's is not stocking Kenneth Cole anymore..
    I don't know though if anything has been disco'd yet..

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post

There's a comment on Fragrantica dated 8/2/13 from member irenebenitoj that asks about Dzing!. http://www.fragrantica.com/news/L-Ar...umeur-Christma
    She mentions Dzing! being on the "Last Chance" page. Now Dzing! is no longer on that page; it's still being sold on the site...
    I have been hearing rumors of Dzing! being discontinued ever since I first bought it, which may have been in 2007. I don't know where that rumor originated but I've heard it from several people over the years.

I don't know what that "Last Chance to Buy" designation means, either.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Blog Entries

Maybe they could include "soon to be re formulated".
    Currently wearing: Aperçu by Houbigant

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Maybe they could include "soon to be re formulated".
    That would be fantastic!

At any rate, great idea for a thread, I wish there were indeed a sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    The only trouble is that often things are reported as discontinued and it turns out to be untrue, how could these be verified before being reported?
    I think at the end of the day it's not so drastic if it turns out to be untrue. True or not, it gives us all the chance to further investigate the rumour and confirm whether or not a fragrance is being slated. In the case of Fahrenheit Absolute or another fragrance I was fond of, I would take further steps to contact the house and make a more thorough investigation.
    I'm just extremely grateful for a tip-off/ hunch/ suspicion that I can pick up on. If it turns out to be untrue....all the better !
    Last edited by david; 27th January 2014 at 09:38 PM.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Maybe someone could list them, then update the first post when it's been confirmed?
    Even "confirmed" is tricky. Someone at Gucci told me that GphII was being discontinued when the current stock ran out. I was told that in the fall of 2012, but it's still on shelves and still on Gucci's website.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Blog Entries

Possibly a list could be started with different categories such as "rumored" or "confirmed".
    Currently wearing: Aperçu by Houbigant

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

You'd have to define what confirmed means though. Do a search here for the word "confirmed" and you'll find all sorts of silliness where somebody told somebody something about something else, and OMG, it's confirmed even though it turns out to be not true.

I love the idea of a list! I'm just saying that, for it to be valuable, it would need someone in charge of it, plus a few ground rules so we know what "confirmed" really means... otherwise, it'd just be a rumors thread.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I have learned this so far with the fragrance industry:

If you like something, don't screw around - go get it. There is usually not a press release when something gets discontinued, nor when something gets reformulated. And both of those things happen - a LOT. So, if you like something, GET IT.

I go on the assumption that if I smell something and like it, that the clock is ticking.

A thread for the discontinued or reformulated rumors? I am having a difficult time thinking of a fragrance that will NOT be in that thread inside of a few months.

As long as people cite their sources, information could be added to the "mother list" as it's obtained, without proclaiming any resolution.. For example, someone could post L'Occitane Eau des Baux was being discontinued per email received by the company. Eau de Baux could be added to the original post, with the date, member name, source and remarks. Another could add that a customer service rep reported on the phone EdB was being reformulated and would be reissued in new packaging. The List Master could then add the date, that member's name, source and new info under Eau de Baux. All the information would be there for everyone's mutual confusion, and we'd know where it was coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I have learned this so far with the fragrance industry:

If you like something, don't screw around - go get it. There is usually not a press release when something gets discontinued, nor when something gets reformulated. And both of those things happen - a LOT. So, if you like something, GET IT.

I go on the assumption that if I smell something and like it, that the clock is ticking.

A thread for the discontinued or reformulated rumors? I am having a difficult time thinking of a fragrance that will NOT be in that thread inside of a few months.
    Totally agree. Maybe I'm rationalizing a bit of a hoarding impulse but, if I like it, I buy it. Maybe even over-buy. You can't rely on the same stuff, or any stuff, being there when you return to the store.
    Currently wearing: Agar Attar by Agar Aura

As long as people cite their sources, information could be added to the "mother list" as it's obtained, without proclaiming any resolution.. For example, someone could post L'Occitane Eau des Baux was being discontinued per email received by the company. Eau de Baux could be added to the original post, with the date, member name, source and remarks. Another could add that a customer service rep reported on the phone EdB was being reformulated and would be reissued in new packaging. The List Master could then add the date, that member's name, source and new info under Eau de Baux. All the information would be there for everyone's mutual confusion, and we'd know where it was coming from.
    Sounds good to me. And btw, the L'Occitane store I see most often remains fully stocked with Eau des Baux and it's not on sale.
    Currently wearing: Agar Attar by Agar Aura

I too think this would be a good sticky thread and some ground rules would need to be laid out before posting something. Would be a really helpful thread for people to try out things before they disappear or change and gives people a heads up about something so they can purchase and stock up.

However, this could easily become a chaotic thread where people argue and some scare others by saying they heard some guy say that such and such is discontinued. So I think a list is needed and a few to be able to control the thread so it doesn't get out of head down the line.

Overall though, I really think this could be a great/informative/helpful thread.

Creed Royal Oud....
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Blog Entries

I am so glad that I bought a couple back up bottles recently.
    John aka Easykiller

Basenotes Plus

Agree, socalwoman - that's pretty much what I had in mind.

The list should probably be in alphabetical order by House & if a product is absolutely, definitely, discontinued the Directory may be updated to reflect this.

We'll move this to General & sticky it as agreed with David & see how it goes - we can always 'unstick' at a later date if required.

Only have a sample (Thanks JH!). If this is true, I might have to pick up a bottle real soon.

Basenotes Plus

I'm confused about future availability of L'Artisan scents. On their website, under Collections, there's a section marked "Last Chance To Buy". http://www.artisanparfumeur.com/shop...ce-to-buy.html
    Seeing scents listed there has caused some to believe they were no longer going to be produced. Now I'm not so sure what it means.

She mentions Dzing! being on the "Last Chance" page. Now Dzing! is no longer on that page; it's still being sold on the site.

The LCTB scents now include Coeur de Vétiver Sacré, Ananas Fizz,, Mimosa pour Moi, Drole de Rose, Bois Farine, L'Eau de l'Artisan and Fleur de Liane. Another perfumista recently wrote to L'Artisan and asked specifically about Traversée du Bosphore and was told emphatically that it was not being discontinued. So, I remain perplexed about what "Last Chance To Buy" means.
    Dear L’Artisan Representative,

I noticed on your website that there are some scents listed under the “Last Chance to Buy” section such as Bois Farine, Coeur de Vetiver Sacre ,etc.. What does “Last Chance to Buy” mean? Does it mean the scents currently listed in that section are going to be discontinued soon?

When you have a chance, please let me know.

Your loyal L’Artisan customer,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Customer,

We have a limited stock for the items in this section.
    Once the stock is sold out, those fragrances will be exclusive to L’ARTISAN PARFUMEUR store in France and to our USA website.
    Production will be made only once a year and the fragrances won’t be available all year long. They are not being discontinued.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Yours Sincerely,
    L'ARTISAN PARFUMEUR Customer service
    www.artisanparfumeur.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post

Dear Customer,

Once the stock is sold out, those fragrances will be exclusive to L’ARTISAN PARFUMEUR store in France and to our USA website.
    Production will be made only once a year and the fragrances won’t be available all year long. They are not being discontinued.

Yours Sincerely,
    www.artisanparfumeur.com
    Thanks CapriDog. I think it is somewhat misleading to call it "Last Chance" but now Basenotes readers will know what they mean by that.

Basenotes Plus

Much like Sahara Noir, which will apparently continue to be available in UAE.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Dior Vetiver was dc'd last year but there is still some stock left. Pretty sure Mitzah is dc'd also.

Tom Ford Sahara Noir, Tobacco Oud and Oud Fleur are limited edition and Sahara Noir is already unavailable in some stores.
    Thanks for this info heperd !
    Last edited by david; 28th February 2014 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Dear L’Artisan Representative,

I noticed on your website that there are some scents listed under the “Last Chance to Buy” section such as Bois Farine, Coeur de Vetiver Sacre ,etc.. What does “Last Chance to Buy” mean? Does it mean the scents currently listed in that section are going to be discontinued soon?

When you have a chance, please let me know.

Your loyal L’Artisan customer,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Customer,

Yours Sincerely,
    www.artisanparfumeur.com
    Thanks CapriDog for taking the time to write to the company. Thanks also to socialwoman for bringing this to our attention !

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Much like Sahara Noir, which will apparently continue to be available in UAE.
    Thanks lpp for this iinfo.....and a HUGE thanks for making this a sticky !!!