Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Recently Discontinued/ Due To Be Discontinued Fragrances......???

I recently found out, (quite by chance) that Fahrenheit Absolute is being discontinued. This really surprised me because it's not that old.
    Perhaps because there are now more new releases than ever before and stores do not have the shelf space....(?)...I am assuming that discontinuing too, will be hapening more than ever before.
    Does anyone know of other fragrances slated for discontinuation ?
    I am always extremely grateful for basenoters help on this issue !

I wish basenotes would start a sticky for "Recently Discontinued Fragrances".
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Recently Discontinued/ Due To Be Discontinued Fragrances......???

Good idea - why not, David

p.s - It would probably be better in General 'though so that they can all go in there.

Can move & stick at the same time.

The only trouble is that often things are reported as discontinued and it turns out to be untrue, how could these be verified before being reported?

Basenotes Plus

Maybe someone could list them, then update the first post when it's been confirmed?

Glad then that I have a full bottle of Fahrenheit Absolute in my collection.

(3486)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Dior Vetiver was dc'd last year but there is still some stock left. Pretty sure Mitzah is dc'd also.

Tom Ford Sahara Noir, Tobacco Oud and Oud Fleur are limited edition and Sahara Noir is already unavailable in some stores.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

I'm confused about future availability of L'Artisan scents. On their website, under Collections, there's a section marked "Last Chance To Buy". http://www.artisanparfumeur.com/shop...ce-to-buy.html
    Seeing scents listed there has caused some to believe they were no longer going to be produced. Now I'm not so sure what it means.

There's a comment on Fragrantica dated 8/2/13 from member irenebenitoj that asks about Dzing!. http://www.fragrantica.com/news/L-Ar...umeur-Christma
    She mentions Dzing! being on the "Last Chance" page. Now Dzing! is no longer on that page; it's still being sold on the site.

The LCTB scents now include Coeur de Vétiver Sacré, Ananas Fizz,, Mimosa pour Moi, Drole de Rose, Bois Farine, L'Eau de l'Artisan and Fleur de Liane. Another perfumista recently wrote to L'Artisan and asked specifically about Traversée du Bosphore and was told emphatically that it was not being discontinued. So, I remain perplexed about what "Last Chance To Buy" means.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Maybe Dior is focusing more on the Dior Homme line?
    Tommy Bahama Original and one other is or has been discontinued

Somebody stated that Macy's is not stocking Kenneth Cole anymore..
    I don't know though if anything has been disco'd yet..

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post

There's a comment on Fragrantica dated 8/2/13 from member irenebenitoj that asks about Dzing!. http://www.fragrantica.com/news/L-Ar...umeur-Christma
    She mentions Dzing! being on the "Last Chance" page. Now Dzing! is no longer on that page; it's still being sold on the site...
    I have been hearing rumors of Dzing! being discontinued ever since I first bought it, which may have been in 2007. I don't know where that rumor originated but I've heard it from several people over the years.

I don't know what that "Last Chance to Buy" designation means, either.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Blog Entries

Maybe they could include "soon to be re formulated".

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    That would be fantastic!

At any rate, great idea for a thread, I wish there were indeed a sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    The only trouble is that often things are reported as discontinued and it turns out to be untrue, how could these be verified before being reported?
    I think at the end of the day it's not so drastic if it turns out to be untrue. True or not, it gives us all the chance to further investigate the rumour and confirm whether or not a fragrance is being slated. In the case of Fahrenheit Absolute or another fragrance I was fond of, I would take further steps to contact the house and make a more thorough investigation.
    I'm just extremely grateful for a tip-off/ hunch/ suspicion that I can pick up on. If it turns out to be untrue....all the better !
    Last edited by david; 27th January 2014 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Maybe someone could list them, then update the first post when it's been confirmed?
    Even "confirmed" is tricky. Someone at Gucci told me that GphII was being discontinued when the current stock ran out. I was told that in the fall of 2012, but it's still on shelves and still on Gucci's website.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Blog Entries

Possibly a list could be started with different categories such as "rumored" or "confirmed".

You'd have to define what confirmed means though. Do a search here for the word "confirmed" and you'll find all sorts of silliness where somebody told somebody something about something else, and OMG, it's confirmed even though it turns out to be not true.

I love the idea of a list! I'm just saying that, for it to be valuable, it would need someone in charge of it, plus a few ground rules so we know what "confirmed" really means... otherwise, it'd just be a rumors thread.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I have learned this so far with the fragrance industry:

If you like something, don't screw around - go get it. There is usually not a press release when something gets discontinued, nor when something gets reformulated. And both of those things happen - a LOT. So, if you like something, GET IT.

I go on the assumption that if I smell something and like it, that the clock is ticking.

A thread for the discontinued or reformulated rumors? I am having a difficult time thinking of a fragrance that will NOT be in that thread inside of a few months.

As long as people cite their sources, information could be added to the "mother list" as it's obtained, without proclaiming any resolution.. For example, someone could post L'Occitane Eau des Baux was being discontinued per email received by the company. Eau de Baux could be added to the original post, with the date, member name, source and remarks. Another could add that a customer service rep reported on the phone EdB was being reformulated and would be reissued in new packaging. The List Master could then add the date, that member's name, source and new info under Eau de Baux. All the information would be there for everyone's mutual confusion, and we'd know where it was coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I have learned this so far with the fragrance industry:

If you like something, don't screw around - go get it. There is usually not a press release when something gets discontinued, nor when something gets reformulated. And both of those things happen - a LOT. So, if you like something, GET IT.

I go on the assumption that if I smell something and like it, that the clock is ticking.

A thread for the discontinued or reformulated rumors? I am having a difficult time thinking of a fragrance that will NOT be in that thread inside of a few months.
    Totally agree. Maybe I'm rationalizing a bit of a hoarding impulse but, if I like it, I buy it. Maybe even over-buy. You can't rely on the same stuff, or any stuff, being there when you return to the store.

As long as people cite their sources, information could be added to the "mother list" as it's obtained, without proclaiming any resolution.. For example, someone could post L'Occitane Eau des Baux was being discontinued per email received by the company. Eau de Baux could be added to the original post, with the date, member name, source and remarks. Another could add that a customer service rep reported on the phone EdB was being reformulated and would be reissued in new packaging. The List Master could then add the date, that member's name, source and new info under Eau de Baux. All the information would be there for everyone's mutual confusion, and we'd know where it was coming from.
    Sounds good to me. And btw, the L'Occitane store I see most often remains fully stocked with Eau des Baux and it's not on sale.

I too think this would be a good sticky thread and some ground rules would need to be laid out before posting something. Would be a really helpful thread for people to try out things before they disappear or change and gives people a heads up about something so they can purchase and stock up.

However, this could easily become a chaotic thread where people argue and some scare others by saying they heard some guy say that such and such is discontinued. So I think a list is needed and a few to be able to control the thread so it doesn't get out of head down the line.

Overall though, I really think this could be a great/informative/helpful thread.

Creed Royal Oud....
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

I am so glad that I bought a couple back up bottles recently.
    John aka Easykiller

Basenotes Plus

Agree, socalwoman - that's pretty much what I had in mind.

The list should probably be in alphabetical order by House & if a product is absolutely, definitely, discontinued the Directory may be updated to reflect this.

We'll move this to General & sticky it as agreed with David & see how it goes - we can always 'unstick' at a later date if required.

Only have a sample (Thanks JH!). If this is true, I might have to pick up a bottle real soon.

Basenotes Plus

I'm confused about future availability of L'Artisan scents. On their website, under Collections, there's a section marked "Last Chance To Buy". http://www.artisanparfumeur.com/shop...ce-to-buy.html
    Seeing scents listed there has caused some to believe they were no longer going to be produced. Now I'm not so sure what it means.

She mentions Dzing! being on the "Last Chance" page. Now Dzing! is no longer on that page; it's still being sold on the site.

The LCTB scents now include Coeur de Vétiver Sacré, Ananas Fizz,, Mimosa pour Moi, Drole de Rose, Bois Farine, L'Eau de l'Artisan and Fleur de Liane. Another perfumista recently wrote to L'Artisan and asked specifically about Traversée du Bosphore and was told emphatically that it was not being discontinued. So, I remain perplexed about what "Last Chance To Buy" means.
    Dear L’Artisan Representative,

I noticed on your website that there are some scents listed under the “Last Chance to Buy” section such as Bois Farine, Coeur de Vetiver Sacre ,etc.. What does “Last Chance to Buy” mean? Does it mean the scents currently listed in that section are going to be discontinued soon?

When you have a chance, please let me know.

Your loyal L’Artisan customer,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Customer,

We have a limited stock for the items in this section.
    Once the stock is sold out, those fragrances will be exclusive to L’ARTISAN PARFUMEUR store in France and to our USA website.
    Production will be made only once a year and the fragrances won’t be available all year long. They are not being discontinued.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Yours Sincerely,
    L'ARTISAN PARFUMEUR Customer service
    www.artisanparfumeur.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post

Dear Customer,

Once the stock is sold out, those fragrances will be exclusive to L’ARTISAN PARFUMEUR store in France and to our USA website.
    Production will be made only once a year and the fragrances won’t be available all year long. They are not being discontinued.

Yours Sincerely,
    www.artisanparfumeur.com
    Thanks CapriDog. I think it is somewhat misleading to call it "Last Chance" but now Basenotes readers will know what they mean by that.

Basenotes Plus

Much like Sahara Noir, which will apparently continue to be available in UAE.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Dior Vetiver was dc'd last year but there is still some stock left. Pretty sure Mitzah is dc'd also.

Tom Ford Sahara Noir, Tobacco Oud and Oud Fleur are limited edition and Sahara Noir is already unavailable in some stores.
    Thanks for this info heperd !
    Last edited by david; 28th February 2014 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Dear L’Artisan Representative,

I noticed on your website that there are some scents listed under the “Last Chance to Buy” section such as Bois Farine, Coeur de Vetiver Sacre ,etc.. What does “Last Chance to Buy” mean? Does it mean the scents currently listed in that section are going to be discontinued soon?

When you have a chance, please let me know.

Your loyal L’Artisan customer,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Customer,

Yours Sincerely,
    www.artisanparfumeur.com
    Thanks CapriDog for taking the time to write to the company. Thanks also to socialwoman for bringing this to our attention !

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Much like Sahara Noir, which will apparently continue to be available in UAE.
    Thanks lpp for this iinfo.....and a HUGE thanks for making this a sticky !!!

Basenotes Plus

You're welcome, David - I think that it was a great idea for a thread!

Midnight Poison has been discontinued.
    I just phoned the Christian Dior head office in Paris and spoke to someone specialising in their perfumes.
    I was also informed that the Dior Addict rage has been discontinued, but they will be coming back. The person I spoke to was not sure if they were just changing the packaging from the range or indeed also reformulating the fragrances. She also confirmed that Fahrenheit Absolute has been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I just phoned the Christian Dior head office in Paris and spoke to someone specializing in their perfumes.
    She also confirmed that Fahrenheit Absolute has been discontinued.
    I guess you can't get more definitive than that. Thanks for the update David.

(3615)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I just phoned the Christian Dior head office in Paris and spoke to someone specialising in their perfumes.
    I was also informed that the Dior Addict rage has been discontinued, but they will be coming back. The person I spoke to was not sure if they were just changing the packaging from the range or indeed also reformulating the fragrances. She also confirmed that Fahrenheit Absolute has been discontinued.
    Wow.

Midnight Poison gets quite a bit of love from what I've read and I always thought the Addict range was one of their best sellers? Why would they discontinue it then bring them back? Dior really is shaking things up it seems.

I guess the confirmation by the head office put the nail in the coffin for Fahrenheit Absolute. Shame.

Just bought a bottle of Fahrenheit Absolute because of threads like these... and I LOVE it. Really is a shame that it is being discontinued... wonder if I should get a back-up bottle...

Default Recently Discontinued/ Due To Be Discontinued Fragrances......???

If you like it, then I would worst case is that it's not discontinued and you unload the backup via a sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Thanks for the heads up. I just bought a 'Dior Addict' yesterday. I had recently found it was one of the few dept store offerings that was acceptable.

I think this is the way to go. Don't over complicate things. If we have a warning from a member or a suspicion, then anyone concerned about that particular fragrance can further investigate. Things do vary from country to country....for example I was recently told that Gucci Envy is still manufactured in very small quantities for the italian market, soley available in italy with perhaps some ending up on the internet. Things are complicated enough...let's not make them even more complicated. I am grateful for any warning/ tip-off however vague. I will further investigate the claim myself. I think we should all be prepared to do this. Sometimes within the industry itself things are not 100% and staff are ill informed. Recently in Berlin I was informed that Eau Noire ws being phased out to make way for a new fragrance. When I phoned the head office in Paris the person I spoke to was not even aware of this. It is a mine field, but suspicions are a good start to take things further and make individual investigations....

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    Wow.

Midnight Poison gets quite a bit of love from what I've read and I always thought the Addict range was one of their best sellers? Why would they discontinue it then bring them back? Dior really is shaking things up it seems.

I guess the confirmation by the head office put the nail in the coffin for Fahrenheit Absolute. Shame.
    I too was very surprised about this and had noticed the cult status that this fragrance has. The person I spoke to at Dior did say discontinuation was partly to do with stringent regulations regarding ingredients, but also to do with popularity of a fragrance. Presumably with Midnight Poison it has more to do with ingredients...

I heard Balmain de Balmain is discontinued, is it true?
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Thanks for reporting this. I will look into it and phone their office in Paris. I will report back.

Super! Thanks!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Hi FrouFrou,
    I phoned their boutique in Paris today and unfortunately they confirmed that Balmain de Balmain has been discontinued. Their last remaining bottles were sold last week.
    I am sure you will still be able to find some stocks online, but it has definitely been discontinued.
    Jolie Madame has also been discontinued.
    Also the re-issue of the mens classic Ebene has since been discontinued.
    The classics Ivoire and Vent Vert are still in production together with the newer fragrances.

Waw! Thanks so much for following this up and confirming the sad news! Need to go online and stock up.
    I suppose it was too good to last..
    A really good chypre in these times of pink sweety fruity sugary forgettables..
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info on Dior Addict. I got a bottle a couple of days ago.

david,

Thank you so much for your invaluable help! I quickly bought another bottle of Balmain de Balmain. This is fine in warmer weather.
    It's my replacement for Azzaro - Eau Belle, which seems to be discontinued irrevocably.

I have seen that Miss Balmain was discontinued, but if Balmain de Balmain is gone too then someone from Balmain is seriously trying to piss me off.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Oh, and for anybody who is missing Eau des Baux, L'Occitane currently has it available on their website
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Re: Balmain, according to Michael Edwards' database (to which I have a subscription), Miss Balmain and Jolie Madame have both been discontinued. Ivoire is still around, but it went through a major refomulation in 2012.

Jean Patou has also discontinued a bunch of fragrances ever since PG&E sold it. They're bringing back some classics but the following have been axed:

Enjoy
    Sira des Indes

Oh yes, and Annick Goutal has been discontinuing mercilessly since they repackaged everything in 2013:

Folavril
    Eau de Camille
    Myrrhe Ardente
    Le Mimosa
    Mon parfum Chérie

Quote Originally Posted by granola357 View Post
    Oh yes, and Annick Goutal has been discontinuing mercilessly since they repackaged everything in 2013:

Folavril
    Eau de Camille
    Myrrhe Ardente
    Le Mimosa
    Mon parfum Chérie
    Thanks for your help granola. I was also informed from a perfumery in Toulon that the famous, (and wonderful !) Goutal Vetiver has been discontinued in edt form. It is now only available in cologne form. Also, I was given a demonstration of the new repackaged, (reformulated ???) Sables. To my nose it smelled very weak !

Thanks for your help granola. I was also informed from a perfumery in Toulon that the famous, (and wonderful !) Goutal Vetiver has been discontinued in edt form. It is now only available in cologne form. Also, I was given a demonstration of the new repackaged, (reformulated ???) Sables. To my nose it smelled very weak !
    That's a shame about the Goutal Vetiver, a wonderful vetiver. I am so thankful then that I still have a full bottle of the EDT.

(3960)

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    That's a shame about the Goutal Vetiver, a wonderful vetiver. I am so thankful then that I still have a full bottle of the EDT.

(3960)
    I agree hednic. Probably my favourite vetiver.

Hi David, yes, as part of the 2013 repackaging, the following have been discontinued as EdTs and are only available in EdCs. I like colognes, but they simply have no lasting power at all:

Eau d'Hadrien
    Vetiver
    Néroli

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info on Dior Addict. I got a bottle a couple of days ago.
    I'm going to keep my eyes open for vintage stuff. My wife has an old bottle, but we need a backup!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Creed Royal Oud....
    What's the status on these rumors - just rumors or is there any confirmation? I got a "no" today, but it wasn't the rep in charge, so I can't be certain.

Blog Entries

I have several "website removal" discontinuations. All are still out on the discount market, but supplies are dwindling, and they are increasingly hard to find:

Tokyo by Kenzo - gone - likely replaced by Kenzo Homme Night

All Sean John fragrances!!! - gone - website seanjohnfragrances.com is gone, and no frags listed on seanjohn.com!!!

Gucci EDP (women's analog of GPHI) - gone - still available on the web, but will soon go the way of GPHI, IMO.

AND - if anybody wants some guaranteed authentic Gucci Envy For Men, Beauty Encounter has 0.1 oz minis for 12.95 each, meaning you can get 1 oz of the real McCoy for $130

queen of the universe

Even the NSA doesn't know that. Or maybe they do. And maybe now Edward Snowden does. Someone should ask him...
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

I suppose you're right, Jujy. I was thinking of instances like the Miss Dior ​fiasco, which I still can't comprehend.