Code of Conduct

Thread: E-Mail to YSL

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default E-Mail to YSL

While I don't for a minute dream that it will make a difference, I finally got on the YSL website and alternately excoriated and implored them in regard to their "Epic Fail" with the Rive Gauche reformulation. I realize that there are some Basenoters who don't like the old Rive Gauche but I am not one of them. It is/was one of my go to fragrances. It nearly always has garnered positive remarks from those who smelled it on me. I also have found a Winter signature scent by careful layering of 1 spray Rive Gauche, 2 of Body Kouros, a swipe of a "Golden Sandalwood" Attar that I get locally, 1 swipe of a Frankincense/Myrrh/Nag Champa blend and a dab of Amber Liquid from the same shop. I have been told by numerous female co-workers that I smell really good when I wear this mix. One co-worker who works closely with me thinks that I smell like an "Aveda Store" when I wear the full blend. When she said that, I had no idea what an Aveda Store was, so she assured me that it was a very good thing to smell like. This mixture smells good enough without the Rive Gauche but not the same. I live in Kansas and we're having a very cold winter (7 degrees F outside right now.). In this weather, Rive Gauche and my "Aveda Blend" both smell incredible to me especially when I step outside into the cold. I wish I knew what YSL was thinking when they went and messed with Rive Gauche. As I put in the e-mail to YSL....If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Rive Gauche, IMHO WAS NOT BROKEN!

Default Re: E-Mail to YSL

Although It might fall on deaf ears, at least you made it known to them how you feel. It's a shame how many wonderful scents are being changed for the worse.

(3531)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

I understand venting can sometimes be a great release - just getting it off you mind and letting them know helps. However, it is possible that they aren't the ones to blame for the reformulation. Like most others, they are probably forced to reformulate due to the new regulations.

Post Thanks / Like

That's true, dougczar, but I wonder if there is ever any push back from the perfume houses? Or do they just meekly do whatever the IFRA tells them? Or are they complicit, because they both make more money off reformulating (that's my suspicion).

I don't automatically assume all IFRA restrictions are bad, I appreciate that there is oversight, but it seems that a lot of the restrictions are done simply to facilitate the sale of IFRA aromachemicals and the alleged health risks are highly debatable. *peanut allergy warning analogy*
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

"Like most others, they are probably forced to reformulate due to the new regulations."

I've wondered myself if they reformulated due to availability of ingredients. You'd think that they would make that clear for PR purposes. Our/my only option is to buy up the old juice before it's price point skyrockets. Fortunately for me a little RG goes a long way so I'll make it last. I've played with Anise, Rosemary, Patchouli and Basil extracts in my aforementioned "Aveda Blend" so far nothing has that special hit like 1 spray of RG has. It is a very unique men's fragrance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are truly in love with a frag get a backup bottle to avoid these issues..
    You never know what will happen in the future..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StinkinApe View Post
    While I don't for a minute dream that it will make a difference, I finally got on the YSL website and alternately excoriated and implored them in regard to their "Epic Fail" with the Rive Gauche reformulation. I realize that there are some Basenoters who don't like the old Rive Gauche but I am not one of them. It is/was one of my go to fragrances. It nearly always has garnered positive remarks from those who smelled it on me. I also have found a Winter signature scent by careful layering of 1 spray Rive Gauche, 2 of Body Kouros, a swipe of a "Golden Sandalwood" Attar that I get locally, 1 swipe of a Frankincense/Myrrh/Nag Champa blend and a dab of Amber Liquid from the same shop. I have been told by numerous female co-workers that I smell really good when I wear this mix. One co-worker who works closely with me thinks that I smell like an "Aveda Store" when I wear the full blend. When she said that, I had no idea what an Aveda Store was, so she assured me that it was a very good thing to smell like. This mixture smells good enough without the Rive Gauche but not the same. I live in Kansas and we're having a very cold winter (7 degrees F outside right now.). In this weather, Rive Gauche and my "Aveda Blend" both smell incredible to me especially when I step outside into the cold. I wish I knew what YSL was thinking when they went and messed with Rive Gauche. As I put in the e-mail to YSL....If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Rive Gauche, IMHO WAS NOT BROKEN!

I think it is ridiculous that you sent them a email like this.. It was a miracle that YSL had enough respect for there older customers to even bring back these fragrances.. For all of you that do not now Rive Gauche, M7, Jazz, Pour Homme, and the female perfumes were all discontinued! They had been done away with completely! They were replaced by the newer fragrances, aka Lhomme? I PRAISE YSL for giving there older customers the exclusive LA COLLECTION LINE! They did an amazing thing bringing these fragrances back to the people that missed them.. Yes it is a different formulation but it is a whole lot better than having none at all! Stop making a big deal.. I think it would be horrible for them to have just let them be discontinued and than eventually these fragrances would never exist again.. Look at Gucci, they discontinued Rush, Envy, Pour Homme and replaced them with Guilty.. Do you think they had the decency to reformuate and re release a exclusive line for the older customers who miss the old Gucci fragrances? NO! YSL did an amazing thing by briinging these fragrances back to the people who missed them! It is ashame that people are going to complain about minor differences! If people keep complaining these fragrances are going to be discontinued for good..

I have for one been messaging Gucci and P&G left and right begging them to make an exclusive line like YSL did with La Collection and bring back Rush, Envy, Pour Homme.. I would not care if they were reformulated! I just want them back!

The Aveda store always smells nice , especially when the are shampooing some chicks hair.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you smelled the new one? Why not just buy 5 cans of the old stuff and never worry about it again since you are only using 1 spray at a time. You could probably get away with 2 bottles since you probably get at least 1000 uses out of each 125ml bottle.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: E-Mail to YSL

"I think it is ridiculous that you sent them a email like this.. It was a miracle that YSL had enough respect for there older customers to even bring back these fragrances.. For all of you that do not now Rive Gauche, M7, Jazz, Pour Homme, and the female perfumes were all discontinued! They had been done away with completely! They were replaced by the newer fragrances, aka Lhomme? I PRAISE YSL for giving there older customers the exclusive LA COLLECTION LINE! They did an amazing thing bringing these fragrances back to the people that missed them.. Yes it is a different formulation but it is a whole lot better than having none at all! Stop making a big deal.. I think it would be horrible for them to have just let them be discontinued and than eventually these fragrances would never exist again.. Look at Gucci, they discontinued Rush, Envy, Pour Homme and replaced them with Guilty.. Do you think they had the decency to reformuate and re release a exclusive line for the older customers who miss the old Gucci fragrances? NO! YSL did an amazing thing by briinging these fragrances back to the people who missed them! It is ashame that people are going to complain about minor differences! If people keep complaining these fragrances are going to be discontinued for good..

I have for one been messaging Gucci and P&G left and right begging them to make an exclusive line like YSL did with La Collection and bring back Rush, Envy, Pour Homme.. I would not care if they were reformulated! I just want them back!
    "

Actually I have tried the reformulation and I don't like it at it's much inflated price point. My post may have been ridiculous to you but I'm not the only one that feels the way I do in regard to their reformulation. BTW, do you work for YSL? Almost sounds like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Have you smelled the new one? Why not just buy 5 cans of the old stuff and never worry about it again since you are only using 1 spray at a time. You could probably get away with 2 bottles since you probably get at least 1000 uses out of each 125ml bottle.
    exactly... there is still plenty of the old stuff to go around!!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My plan is to hold off on my blind buys for a while and do exactly as suggested. The way I use it I shouldn't run out before I'm too old to care how I smell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StinkinApe View Post
    "I think it is ridiculous that you sent them a email like this.. It was a miracle that YSL had enough respect for there older customers to even bring back these fragrances.. For all of you that do not now Rive Gauche, M7, Jazz, Pour Homme, and the female perfumes were all discontinued! They had been done away with completely! They were replaced by the newer fragrances, aka Lhomme? I PRAISE YSL for giving there older customers the exclusive LA COLLECTION LINE! They did an amazing thing bringing these fragrances back to the people that missed them.. Yes it is a different formulation but it is a whole lot better than having none at all! Stop making a big deal.. I think it would be horrible for them to have just let them be discontinued and than eventually these fragrances would never exist again.. Look at Gucci, they discontinued Rush, Envy, Pour Homme and replaced them with Guilty.. Do you think they had the decency to reformuate and re release a exclusive line for the older customers who miss the old Gucci fragrances? NO! YSL did an amazing thing by briinging these fragrances back to the people who missed them! It is ashame that people are going to complain about minor differences! If people keep complaining these fragrances are going to be discontinued for good..

"

Actually I have tried the reformulation and I don't like it at it's much inflated price point. My post may have been ridiculous to you but I'm not the only one that feels the way I do in regard to their reformulation. BTW, do you work for YSL? Almost sounds like it.
    I understand what you are saying! Reformualtions are very rarely as good as the original formula and I know that this is not as good as the original.. But this was a re-issue! These fragrances were discontinued which means that they were done away with! YSL re issued these fragrances in an exclusive line for the people that still wanted them.. Of course they are not as good as the original versions but it is better than not having them at all.. I would take a refomulated version of any of my favorites rather than not having them at all.. Luckily original Rive Gauche is still easy to find and cheap but in the future it will run out and than what will Rive Gauche fans do? Settle for the reform.. M7 oud absolu is not as good as the original but it still smells similar and it is a great fragrance still.. Only wish Gucci would do the same thing.. Envy, Rush, Pour Homme, were and are still in way higher demand than any of these YSL fragrances were.. But YSL re released them, while all Gucci does is keep releasing more flankers of generic garbage..

I've read from some people that the reform is almost identical to the original.

I remember when it first came out. The star anise was vivid and magnificent. The juice of latter years pale in comparison. Not sure how it is in the dreadful cube.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I remember when it first came out. The star anise was vivid and magnificent. The juice of latter years pale in comparison. Not sure how it is in the dreadful cube.
    That kind of nails what I perceive to be the difference with the new formulation. I'll readily admit that as a newbie I can't give a note by note description of how it smells different. Maybe it's just me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    This is right, the later versions got soapier... however, the difference was so subtle, and the can version, in any form, is still excellent.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with the OP, I will complain to YSL too.

Post Thanks / Like

A letter to let them know that a reduction in standards is not acceptable may not do much, but it is better than buying into the reduced standards. Voting with your wallet is a good course of action, but increasing awareness and engaging the consumer base is better if it actually gets somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a shame that some of the best fragrances end up being reformulated to lower the cost of making them, and most of the time they end up ruining the whole scent. Rive Gauche in my opinion was one they shouldn't have messed with. Bring the old formulation back YSL!!!

How is it ridiculous ? This is Basenotes your suppose to tell the company your opinion, I have done it a few times myself. I disagree, L'Oreal really messed up Kouros and Body Kouros ( with the 2011 reformulations) , they must be worse now with the new bottles.

Frida Giannini's Gucci is trash,I won't even bother discussing them now.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a huge believer in writing letters. Nothing wrong with politely letting a company know what you think. If nothing else, it makes you feel better. Plus, for everyone who writes, there are probably 100 people who don't. I can be completely naive, but I have to think a smart business knows that.

I wrote to a perfume company once complaining about a discontinued perfume, and they actually responded and found me a bottle of the perfume. Sometimes good things can happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Where I work polite letters carry a lot of weight even if they are not immediately acted upon. They do have influence.

Yes Always be polite.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like it would be a huge ordeal just finding the mailing address for YSL.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I feel like it would be a huge ordeal just finding the mailing address for YSL.
    It is a huge ordeal to actually get the email to the right people in the company.. However I do not know why anyone would want to bother.. Rive Gauche was not just reformulated for no reason.. I do not think that any of you are understanding the fact that Rive Gauche, M7, Jazz, Pour Homm, Nu, and the rest were all discontinued and done away with.. They were replaced by the newer YSL fragrances.. YSL listened to all the people here on basenotes and fragrantica that wanted the classic fragrances back, so they launched the LA COLLECTION line with the new RIVE GAUCHE years after it had already been discontinued.. NO OTHER FASHION HOUSE HAS EVER DONE THIS! Once the other fashion houses discontinued something they rarely ever re release them again.. What YSL did is something that should be commended! Yes the new formulas might not be up to par with the older ones but they still smell quite similar? It still is Rive Gauche just a bit weaker.. If you want the tin can than go buy it on ebay but when that runs out alot of others would be pleased that the other Rive Gauche is available.. But with all you people sending YSL all these negative messages about the line that they brought back from the dead is just going to get Rive Gauche discontinued again! That is horrible! Why would one want to have something discontinued instead of accepting a slightly altered formula.. I dont understand!

Post Thanks / Like

All you are talking about is a reformulation and a new bottle. This is the furthest thing from new in the fragrance industry. Why would one want to have the original product instead of accepting a more expensive yet worse alternative is the real question. Many people understand that one.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: E-Mail to YSL

"It is a huge ordeal to actually get the email to the right people in the company."

Uncannily accurate. LOL! My reply to the e-mail I sent was from customer care. It stated that while they welcomed the customer input, my e-mail needed to go to Health & Beauty. Here's the correct link according to them ysl@us.loreal.com . In my initial e-mail I said that I both excoriated and begged them (YSL). I did indeed do so, but in a polite and clear spoken manner. The above posters are correct in that standard of respect. The fact that there are a lot of the cans out there, and the price still isn't terrible make this thread more about principle than substance. The plethora of flankers kind of make reformulations somewhat moot from a consumer standpoint. Discontinuations of superior fragrances must occur due to intrinsic reasons only known to the producers as others here have suggested. One possible good that can come out of the discontinuance or reformulation of a great fragrance is that some ambitious nose out there can try to somewhat emulate or better yet improve on that concept in general. For example, I personally welcome expanding the idea of skillfully blending masculine/barbershop notes with contemporary notes. It's all good in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    If you are truly in love with a frag get a backup bottle to avoid these issues..
    You never know what will happen in the future..
    I agree with this!!!