Code of Conduct

Default Deciding what to wear

Anyone have this problem? I know some of you have large collections, I only have a collection of around 10 and I find it difficult. I normally just tend to use 3 of my favorites. There are fragrances which I like but haven't touched in years.

I sometimes free bad that its just going to waste as they aren't being worn.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Deciding what to wear

Usually by mood or weather..
    At 10 that would seem to be easy..

I wear the one that feels the best at the time. The ones that feel the best become more obvious over time because you usually exclude most of them.

I sometimes thumb thru my collection trying to find which one that (1) fits my mood (2) fits the weather (3) fits what I am wearing (4) I haven't worn in a while (I don't like when I haven't worn something in at least a year, so I try to pick something that I haven't worn in a while).

Some days it's easy, some days I spend a minute or two. I usually wear 2 fragrances / day so I don't get bored with what I am wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I sometimes thumb thru my collection trying to find which one that (1) fits my mood (2) fits the weather (3) fits what I am wearing (4) I haven't worn in a while (I don't like when I haven't worn something in at least a year, so I try to pick something that I haven't worn in a while).

Some days it's easy, some days I spend a minute or two. I usually wear 2 fragrances / day so I don't get bored with what I am wearing.
    This sums it up for me.

It's a mood thing for me.

Normally just randomly pick. What ever my hand makes contact with before hitting the bed is what I wear the next day.

(3545)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

For me, it's about the weather, what I'll be doing that day, and what I'm in the mood for. I usually make up my mind while I'm in the shower. "It's going to be cold and rainy. We're going out for happy hour after work. Hhhmmmm... sounds like a day to bust out my sample of Tom Ford Extreme." ...and that's what I'm wearing today. It's no different than how I choose what clothes to wear.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Never really seems like a taxing decision - just wearing what I feel like results in a pretty constant rotation through my whole collection. If its a dilemma for some at least its quite a nice dilemma. Quite like Hednic's Russian roulette system!

Living in the high desert weather plays a big roll for me on selection. And to a slightly lesser degree, what kind of mood I'm in.

Somewhat of a struggle for me usually simply because there are frequently more than one fragrance that I would like to wear and choosing one means forgoing the others and that requires mental resolution. With that said, there are also times when I dont overthink this and just wing it in the morning without any second thought. Also, the weather does not play any major role in the process. Certain occasions - yes (work/office, date, club, family dinner), but climate conditions? almost never.

Usually my mood determines my choice, but more frequently I've been working off reviews and threads. It takes me out of my comfort zone or at least, tiring patterns of wear.

On my day off.....anything goes. I just douse myself in whatever I feel like wearing.

It's never a very difficult decision for me. I look at my collection, and something jumps out at me.

My collection is not that big, so it's pretty easy to decide between the fragrances worn (hardly ever happening to become indecisive between
    2-3 or even more potential SOTD). Other than that, I pretty much wear anything that I feel in the mood for and is also appropriate for a particular occasion when I wear it (provided I don't wear the fragrance at home).

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
    Anyone have this problem? I know some of you have large collections, I only have a collection of around 10 and I find it difficult. I normally just tend to use 3 of my favorites. There are fragrances which I like but haven't touched in years.

I sometimes free bad that its just going to waste as they aren't being worn.
    See my thread about splitting your wardrobe based on seasons. Many people made great suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    For me, it's about the weather, what I'll be doing that day, and what I'm in the mood for. I usually make up my mind while I'm in the shower. "It's going to be cold and rainy. We're going out for happy hour after work. Hhhmmmm... sounds like a day to bust out my sample of Tom Ford Extreme." ...and that's what I'm wearing today. It's no different than how I choose what clothes to wear.
    I agree 100%. We are "scent bros".

I decide by genre.
    Galbanum or roses or Somali incense or geranium or chypre or neworld ...

for swap/sale:

Have them all alphabetically listed on a SS...go right down the list each day no matter what the weather or my mood is. Experience each one at least once a month. Eliminates any indecision whatsoever. Like it.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

A good way to start is by cataloging them as seasonal frags for summer,winter ...etc weather wise too, rainy , cloudy ...etc
    clothing wise also...tuxedo, black tie event , jeans tee shirts..etc: by now you get the idea and like this you won't feel apathy , neglectful or distant from your frags.....it helps only collecting the ones you love only and sampling other that somewhat touched you...Cheerios
    Last edited by magnus611; 29th January 2014 at 07:01 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    A good way to start is by cataloging them as seasonal frags for summer,winter ...etc weather wise too, rainy , cloudy ...etc
    clothing wise also...tuxedo, black tie event , jeans tee shirts..etc: by now you get the idea and like this you won't feel apathy , neglectful or distant from your frags.....it helps only collecting the ones you love only and sampling other that somewhat touched you...Cheerios
    Very wise words.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    This is kind of what I do. Once my collection got over 50, I started getting overwhelmed. I usually take weather, occasion, mood, and company into consideration. If I'm still stuck between a couple of fragrances, then I'll go with the one I haven't worn in a while. The hard part is deciding what to do with all of the samples I've acquired (given or purchased). I'm actually thinking about doing Sample Saturdays and/or Sundays just to go through them because there might be something hiding in there that will make me want a full bottle.

I'd say whatever mood strikes me in that moment. I usually decide this and apply within 5 seconds if not instantly.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?