Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Are you a collector?

I would love to answer like deadidol, but unfortunately that would not be true. Experiencing fragrances is somehow not enough for me, I want to possess the fragrances I love. The knowledge that I own for example the very first versions of Messe de Minuit and No. 88 brings me joy. Rarity of these fragrances is also a factor here. This does not make sense to me, but there is no denying it. There is something indecent in this: would it not be more virtuous to just enjoy beauty with no desire to own? But atleast I'm not exorbitant in this vice of mine: fragrances have been a hobby of minr for more than ten years and I still have less than 30 bottles. I only keep the ones that are essential.

What was the question again? A collector? Umm, I dunno.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 7th February 2014 at 05:20 AM.

I'm a collector of scent memories, but not the fragrances themselves, if that makes sense. I collect samples of scents with notes that I am not familiar with so that I can file it in my brain as "oh, this is what x smells like". As a poor college student, I don't currently have the budget to collect bottles of all of my favorite scents, so I only have a few bottles. Still, were I given the money to amass a collection, I don't think i would. I prefer sampling many scents but only buying the ones that I absolutely love.
    Currently wearing: Beige by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    ...Baudrillard piece on the nature of collecting...
    Good read, though it was slow going for me. Thick and chewy as the licorice in Vikt.

Still mulling over the ideas presented, but this passage struck a chord with me:

Without the series, there would be no possibility of playing the game, hence no possibility of ownership, and, strictly speaking, no more object either. Indeed the truly unique object - absolute, entirely without antecedent, incapable of being integrated into any sort of set - is unthinkable.

My reaction was, ah, that's why I do not have, and do not have any interest in a "signature scent"
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Good read, though it was slow going for me. Thick and chewy as the licorice in Vikt.
    Ha! Yeah, Bauldrillard can be pretty chewy to say the least; he's often prevocational and hyperbolic, just to get a reaction. Although I'm not quite sure about the transition between functional set (liquid that smells) and collectible (former functional object) as it seems too rigid to be a practical framework (it would vacillate too much with perfume), the narcissistic notion of collecting -- as well as the engagement with the death drive (by never completing the collection) -- was fairly convincing. It's an interesting approach to the subject, for sure.

It is an intersting approach, and a well motivated one: like I mentioned before, this joy of possessing a bottle of perfume is not rational. Folk psychology - our commonsense ability to explain our motives - isn't really capable of explaning this. It's easy to understand a bottle of perfume as a functional object (not really object at all in Baudrillard's terms): we spray it to derive olfactory pleasure and to smell good to others and thus feel more self-secure or whatever. But to enjoy owning something? It has no function and for this reason our commonsense psychology fails.

But the problem with Baudrillard's account is very obvious: it's more of a hypothesis than a theory. And to be honest, it's not even a hypothesis in the scientific sense, since testing it is so problematic. It's hardly convincing, it's plausible at best and even it to be plausible we have to accept this quasi-psychoanalytical framework. It seems to me that the only thing that would make us agree with this text is our intuitions, which then again, are shaped by reading texts like this.

I agree with Baudrillard's premise: that to understand collecting and the desire to possess we need new ways of understanding ourselves. These accounts are bound to be akin to the explanation he offered. But how do we choose between them?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    But the problem with Baudrillard's account is very obvious: it's more of a hypothesis than a theory. And to be honest, it's not even a hypothesis in the scientific sense, since testing it is so problematic. It's hardly convincing, it's plausible at best and even it to be plausible we have to accept this quasi-psychoanalytical framework. It seems to me that the only thing that would make us agree with this text is our intuitions, which then again, are shaped by reading texts like this.
    I agree; it's too rigid for the subject (there's more movement between the two states than he allows for -- his refrigerator example isn't the most representative). Aside from the questionable reliance of Freud, the other issue is that much of what he discusses seems awfully close to other human practices of serial repetition and compulsion; many of the same impulses seem hard-wired in that similar responses could certainly be traced in drug use or even sex. With that said, I find certain aspects (a refusal to complete the collection, for example) to be relatively convincing. Plus, it's Baudrillard -- he's always a hoot to read!

I think I'm more of an archivist - these last few years I have mainly bought stuff that (a) I really enjoy, that 'speaks to me' and (b) that will soon be gone forever. The ongoing restrictions from EU/IFRA and the rush to squeeze profits at the cost of quality by so many brands has more less closed a chapter on 'modern perfumery' from Jicky - circa 2000. I'm certainly not a 'completist' in needing to own every bottle a brand has made, or every example of a genre or that sort of thing - just one or two of what I consider to be the best ones will do me.

I'm not necessarily a collector in that I purchase every scent a house has made, but I do have a relatively large wardrobe (not by Basenotes standards, but larger than any of my classmates) that I study in sample form and then purchase if they meet my criteria. Pretty much anything that meets said criteria is bought and placed in my wardrobe.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I collect fragrances but just only ones that I would use.

Collector? I don't think so.

I'd label it: enthusiastic consumer / hobbyist.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I would say I'm more of a student.
    Me too - even after after most of a lifetime on the subject. Still learning, still earning the credits.

Basenotes Member thinkingmagpie's Avatar

Not so much a collector...but I enjoy experiencing different kinds of scents so end up with accumulating them, mostly samples & decants. I buy proper bottles only when I know I would enjoy wearing them.

I just like to smell good. The only thing i collect is cash!

Blog Entries

This is such an interesting thread. It's great to see how various people describe themselves, and I could quote several people to describe myself.

I'm more inquisitive than acquisitive.

Power Where You Need It

I'm anything but one that approaches perfumes as utilitarian. Perfume is art, not just *cosmetic* or something to affirm one's level of wealthiness.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here