Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Are you a collector?

It's so many definitions for "Collector"..
    In some ways I am but in other's I am not..
    I don't wake up and go to sleep looking at bottles and get a sense of joy..
    I don't display them..
    They are scattered throughout the house in multiple places..
    I never wanted to get so many fragrances/samples/decants, It just happened..
    Some days I feel I am a collector and other days not..

What about you..

Default Re: Are you a collector?

Not intentionally a collector - maybe an accumulator

I can say the same things about myself:

I don't wake up and go to sleep looking at bottles
    I don't display them
    They are scattered throughout the house in multiple places
    I never intended to have so many bottles, samples, decants.

But there is no doubt in my mind that I am a collector, even if I never intended to be. I have collected them; it's happened.

I'm also interested to see how other people regard their "collections"!

edit: aha, lpp, "accumulator"! That's a good word for it, too.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I would say I'm more of a student.

Definitely a true die-hard collector but not an eclectic one - a discriminating one.

(3566)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    With more than 100 - you passed the bar

Far more an eclectic accumulator myself- but if might eventually lead to a fragrance collection, even better.

Accumulator here too, may need therapy at some point!

Still learning T! I feel like I'm learning just as much now than I did years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    With more than 100 - you passed the bar

Blog Entries

Apparently so.

Nope. I just buy 'em to wear 'em. I own as many as I do for the same reason I own different shirts. I could just buy 7 identical button down shirts, do my laundry once a week and never have to think about what to wear... but how boring would that be? I also don't eat the same food every day. Variety is the spice of life. Oregano is pretty awesome too though. Oregano and variety. Those are the spices of life.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

I'm not a collector, I just like to explore new fragrances and learn as much as I can about them. Anything I buy is for personal wearing. It seems to me a true collector would buy for other reasons.

Basenotes Plus

I don't think of myself as a collector as much as a person of diverse tastes, so I need a variety of scents to reflect those tastes. I'm using them, not collecting them.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Definitely a true die-hard collector but not an eclectic one - a discriminating one.

(3566)
    Who is this Hednic guy that thinks he is a collector? Never heard of him.
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

It's interesting to see that some find the concepts of "collecting" and "using" fragrances to be mutually exclusive!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Not a collector, but I haven't figured out the correct term for what I'm doing yet.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    It's interesting to see that some find the concepts of "collecting" and "using" fragrances to be mutually exclusive!
    Oh yes indeedy! I have horrible recollections from childhood of having to dust my mother's china collection, de-tarnish the spoon collection, and wash and iron the linen collection. In my mind collections are associated with work, and perfume is associated with pleasure. Old ways of thinking die hard...

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    Oh yes indeedy! I have horrible recollections from childhood of having to dust my mother's china collection, de-tarnish the spoon collection, and wash and iron the linen collection. In my mind collections are associated with work, and perfume is associated with pleasure. Old ways of thinking die hard...
    Thanks for explaining that! My dad had a pipe collection, and he smoked them all; to me, collections were (and are) things that you enjoy using and have more of than you "need".

In the traditional sense, no. I only collect what I intend to wear out. This becomes harder as the collection grows, which is why I try to keep things from getting out of hand. I don't feel I need to complete certain lines, houses, etc. I truly want to own and enjoy those that I feel are special and move me in some way. Also like many, I am constrained by budget, but I only justify something that truly has significance and importance in my wardrobe.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Am I a collector? Nah, just a neo-dandy who likes indulging himself in sensorial expressionism.

I'm a user.

Collectors collect.

Users use.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I'm a user.

Collectors collect.

Users use.
    We've got got a monkey on our backs!

Not a collector...a user...probably...simply put..I like to smell nice and I like variety.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

I guess I'm a spender.

Sometimes I think I want at least a sample of everything. Like a fragrance version of a seed vault. So I can use them for reference. To be familiar with everything.

Other days, I look at what I have and think that I will be able to wear the full bottles that I own and love more often if I could just use up all those darn samples.

So, I am a collector and a user. My checking account says I'm a spender. My wife says... well she doesn't know how much I have spent, but she thinks it is quite odd.

I am new to the fragrance realm, however I would consider myself more of a user who is fascinated with scented varieties.

Default Are you a collector?

I don't collect bottles, but I do collect scent experiences. I can mentally log impressions (and spend quite a bit of time writing about them in order to process them in such a way), but I don't need to own them all—just the ones that move me. For me, the balance is quite tipped away from "user" as I don't approach perfume as utilitarian, functional, or as a means to an end (I've no interest in smelling "nice" for others [an objective impossibility, relatively speaking], and I've no use for compliments from such practices), but I do subscribe to the aesthetic model outlined by Walter Pater in his famous "Conclusion": "Not the fruit of experience, but experience itself, is the end. A counted number of pulses only is given to us of a variegated, dramatic life. How may we see in them all that is to be seen in them by the finest senses? How shall we pass most swiftly from point to point, and be present always at the focus where the greatest number of vital forces unite in their purest energy. To burn always with this hard, gem-like flame, to maintain this ecstasy, is success in life."

With that said, here's a link to a fascinating and provocative Baudrillard piece on the nature of collecting and the way fanaticism can be refigured as a narcissistic gesture.
    Last edited by deadidol; 6th February 2014 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I don't collect bottles, but I do collect scent experiences. I can mentally log impressions (and spend quite a bit of time writing about them in order to process them in such a way), but I don't need to own them all—just the one's that move me. For me, the balance is quite tipped away from "user" as I don't approach perfume as utilitarian, functional, or as a means to an end (I've no interest in smelling "nice" for others [an objective impossibility, relatively speaking], and I've no use for compliments from such practices), but I do subscribe to the aesthetic model outlined by Walter Pater in his famous "Conclusion": "Not the fruit of experience, but experience itself, is the end. A counted number of pulses only is given to us of a variegated, dramatic life. How may we see in them all that is to be seen in them by the finest senses? How shall we pass most swiftly from point to point, and be present always at the focus where the greatest number of vital forces unite in their purest energy. To burn always with this hard, gem-like flame, to maintain this ecstasy, is success in life."

With that said, here's a link to a fascinating and provocative Baudrillard piece on the nature of collecting and the way fanaticism can be refigured as a narcissistic gesture.
    This sort of response is why you've become one of my favorite Basenotes contributors, deadidol. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Variety is the spice of life. Oregano is pretty awesome too though. Oregano and variety. Those are the spices of life.
    I sniff a subliminal plug for Interlude Man here (and I approve).

I'd say I'm a collector at this point, not because I'm trying to be a completist (I don't need to own every leather, or every Chanel, or whatnot), but because my fascination with fragrance isn't flagging, and the stuff I want to wear isn't finding limit, but I also already have enough to last me much more than my lifetime -- so surely it's now a matter of collecting, rather than just utilitarian function. But yes, with the exception of one or two blind purchases, I only buy what I intend to wear. I'll never get through them all, which at times does seem a bit excessive or absurd. But on the other hand, being able to smell any of them whenever I want is great. A wine collector can hardly do the same thing with his or her bottles. So there's that.

Blog Entries

I was thinking about the idea of leaving bottles around the house, here and there. In many ways, perfumes are like books you just open them up and read them now and then. It doesn't matter where they are, in a library or on the nightstand. You just pick up where you left off.

I think in some sense I do collect perfumes. I certainly enjoy the experience of looking through the cupboards, feeling and seeing the bottles as well as the scent itself. I guess that also makes me an accumulator and a student too.

My 'proper' collection is of minerals, including some beautiful geodes, semi precious stones and uncut gems.

Yet again I have demonstrated my innate ability to choose the most expensive of anything without even trying. These are the reason why I wear second hand clothes most of the time
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

I would love to answer like deadidol, but unfortunately that would not be true. Experiencing fragrances is somehow not enough for me, I want to possess the fragrances I love. The knowledge that I own for example the very first versions of Messe de Minuit and No. 88 brings me joy. Rarity of these fragrances is also a factor here. This does not make sense to me, but there is no denying it. There is something indecent in this: would it not be more virtuous to just enjoy beauty with no desire to own? But atleast I'm not exorbitant in this vice of mine: fragrances have been a hobby of minr for more than ten years and I still have less than 30 bottles. I only keep the ones that are essential.

What was the question again? A collector? Umm, I dunno.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 7th February 2014 at 05:20 AM.

I'm a collector of scent memories, but not the fragrances themselves, if that makes sense. I collect samples of scents with notes that I am not familiar with so that I can file it in my brain as "oh, this is what x smells like". As a poor college student, I don't currently have the budget to collect bottles of all of my favorite scents, so I only have a few bottles. Still, were I given the money to amass a collection, I don't think i would. I prefer sampling many scents but only buying the ones that I absolutely love.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    ...Baudrillard piece on the nature of collecting...
    Good read, though it was slow going for me. Thick and chewy as the licorice in Vikt.

Still mulling over the ideas presented, but this passage struck a chord with me:

Without the series, there would be no possibility of playing the game, hence no possibility of ownership, and, strictly speaking, no more object either. Indeed the truly unique object - absolute, entirely without antecedent, incapable of being integrated into any sort of set - is unthinkable.

My reaction was, ah, that's why I do not have, and do not have any interest in a "signature scent"

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Good read, though it was slow going for me. Thick and chewy as the licorice in Vikt.
    Ha! Yeah, Bauldrillard can be pretty chewy to say the least; he's often prevocational and hyperbolic, just to get a reaction. Although I'm not quite sure about the transition between functional set (liquid that smells) and collectible (former functional object) as it seems too rigid to be a practical framework (it would vacillate too much with perfume), the narcissistic notion of collecting -- as well as the engagement with the death drive (by never completing the collection) -- was fairly convincing. It's an interesting approach to the subject, for sure.

It is an intersting approach, and a well motivated one: like I mentioned before, this joy of possessing a bottle of perfume is not rational. Folk psychology - our commonsense ability to explain our motives - isn't really capable of explaning this. It's easy to understand a bottle of perfume as a functional object (not really object at all in Baudrillard's terms): we spray it to derive olfactory pleasure and to smell good to others and thus feel more self-secure or whatever. But to enjoy owning something? It has no function and for this reason our commonsense psychology fails.

But the problem with Baudrillard's account is very obvious: it's more of a hypothesis than a theory. And to be honest, it's not even a hypothesis in the scientific sense, since testing it is so problematic. It's hardly convincing, it's plausible at best and even it to be plausible we have to accept this quasi-psychoanalytical framework. It seems to me that the only thing that would make us agree with this text is our intuitions, which then again, are shaped by reading texts like this.

I agree with Baudrillard's premise: that to understand collecting and the desire to possess we need new ways of understanding ourselves. These accounts are bound to be akin to the explanation he offered. But how do we choose between them?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    But the problem with Baudrillard's account is very obvious: it's more of a hypothesis than a theory. And to be honest, it's not even a hypothesis in the scientific sense, since testing it is so problematic. It's hardly convincing, it's plausible at best and even it to be plausible we have to accept this quasi-psychoanalytical framework. It seems to me that the only thing that would make us agree with this text is our intuitions, which then again, are shaped by reading texts like this.
    I agree; it's too rigid for the subject (there's more movement between the two states than he allows for -- his refrigerator example isn't the most representative). Aside from the questionable reliance of Freud, the other issue is that much of what he discusses seems awfully close to other human practices of serial repetition and compulsion; many of the same impulses seem hard-wired in that similar responses could certainly be traced in drug use or even sex. With that said, I find certain aspects (a refusal to complete the collection, for example) to be relatively convincing. Plus, it's Baudrillard -- he's always a hoot to read!

I think I'm more of an archivist - these last few years I have mainly bought stuff that (a) I really enjoy, that 'speaks to me' and (b) that will soon be gone forever. The ongoing restrictions from EU/IFRA and the rush to squeeze profits at the cost of quality by so many brands has more less closed a chapter on 'modern perfumery' from Jicky - circa 2000. I'm certainly not a 'completist' in needing to own every bottle a brand has made, or every example of a genre or that sort of thing - just one or two of what I consider to be the best ones will do me.

I'm not necessarily a collector in that I purchase every scent a house has made, but I do have a relatively large wardrobe (not by Basenotes standards, but larger than any of my classmates) that I study in sample form and then purchase if they meet my criteria. Pretty much anything that meets said criteria is bought and placed in my wardrobe.

I collect fragrances but just only ones that I would use.

Collector? I don't think so.

I'd label it: enthusiastic consumer / hobbyist.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Me too - even after after most of a lifetime on the subject. Still learning, still earning the credits.

Not so much a collector...but I enjoy experiencing different kinds of scents so end up with accumulating them, mostly samples & decants. I buy proper bottles only when I know I would enjoy wearing them.

I just like to smell good. The only thing i collect is cash!

This is such an interesting thread. It's great to see how various people describe themselves, and I could quote several people to describe myself.

I'm more inquisitive than acquisitive.

I'm anything but one that approaches perfumes as utilitarian. Perfume is art, not just *cosmetic* or something to affirm one's level of wealthiness.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here