Code of Conduct

Default Do you prefer Original or reformulated versions of fragrances?

I have come to ask myself, is it a coincidence that I prefer original formulas of fragrances over the reformulated versions? Now I am a rookie compared to some of you out there but I have smelt a few that really go to show that the original stuff smells better(my personal opinion). Why companies do this? Some say its for the better and some say its because the companies find cheaper alternatives and shortcuts to duplicate ingredients and notes to save themselves money when creating these juices. A few of my preferences of original fragrances I prefer over the new stuff are Dior homme intense, le male, Dior homme, Dolce and gabbana pour homme, and Fahrenheit. I can't really say Fahrenheit because I haven't tested it enough to even know if I like it. I smelt it a few times on my friend, he has the bottle that says Christian dior written across it versus the new bottles that just say dior. He is not a experienced nose and has a few frags and he even said this bottle smells different when we were in macys and when he was going to restock on it. I own both vintage and reformulated dhi and there are obvious differences. I asked my parents, cousin and a few friends when I had both sprayed on vintage and reform. Everyone had similar answers after it was on my skin for about an hour. Responses like- It smells a lot stronger, did you wash that wrist a little bit (referring to the reform), this one smells tingly and the other smells very sweet (vintage vs reform). Their noses aren't that experiences also. Everyone preferred the vintage stuff over the reform. I would go into more detail but im getting carried away. I'll keep it short and simple for the rest. I currently have one the second reformulation of d&g pour homme (made in Germany). I have heard there is Italy,germany and currently England. I first smelt this from a sample back in early 2012 and absolutely loved it and went and ordered myself a bottle on amazon. Until I discovered people debating about reforms. So I stumbled upon a vintage decant on decantshop.com. Let me tell you I instantly liked the older stuff better. Has somewhat of a warming quality a lot spicier than my Germany bottle with the embosses writing. I Currently have on the vintage stuff and the Germany juice on both wrists and the decant on my forearm. The newer stuff is a lot soapier and lemony. Both great juices but I prefer the vintage.

Default Re: Do you prefer Original or reformulated versions of fragrances?

It's probably due to a combination of economics and regulation of ingredients.

My preference is for new ones from smaller Houses who are doing different things.
    Last edited by lpp; 30th January 2014 at 08:40 AM.

Fragrances don't get reformulated for the better. Companies are usually forced to due to regulations, or the desire for profit.

Original!

I suggest searching old threads on the subject. Also, I've written more than one blog post on the subject. As a newbie, I couldn't tell the difference and thought it was exaggeration. Now I am very careful about what formulation I might be acquiring. My guess is that if you keep at it, you will often perceive a vast chasm between formulations, as I do now. In some ways, it can be like the difference between two movies on the exact same subject. You think one movie is great and the other one terrible. For me, much of it is related to depth, complexity, and dynamism. The more synthetics used, it seems, the less of those you get, and in some cases the scent just smells like a chemical soup. But again, I did not perceive this for several months after "getting serious."

original versions definitely

Only scent that I know that was reformulated and I prefer reformulated one is Encre Noire. Much easier to wear.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

If I have smelled and learned to love a Fragrance, I get mightily hacked off when it is changed. Recently I have discovered that L'Air de Rien, and Knize 10 (two fragrances I loved) have been reformulated. I doubt if I will buy either again.

In answer to the question; always, the original.

The original if possible or at least the pre-2000 versions.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    I have come to ask myself, is it a coincidence that I prefer original formulas of fragrances over the reformulated versions?
    It would be if you loved the reformulations over the vintages!
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

One big problem is that most new consumers have no idea about the quality of older fragrances and new markets keep appearing so at any given time the majority of purchasers will be satisfied.
    Last edited by lpp; 30th January 2014 at 09:22 AM.

Correct! All a matter of new generation.
    In a (short) while many people won't know what a pick-up record player is anymore to give another example..............It will be the same with fragrances.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

In most cases, the original versions. But at times, when reformulation is barely perceptible to my nose, I might like a fragrance in version, batch, release etc.

Sound Scents

Original, of course!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    The original if possible or at least the pre-2000 versions.
    +1...... So many past greats have just been watered down after been reformulated due to IFRA regulations.

Take it on a case by case basis. I like bigsly's metaphor with film; sometimes a remake can be better than the original (although I have a hard time thinking of a case when this was true). But for a respectable house, a forced reformulation, because of ifra or getting rights to a fragrance by using their own laboratory etc, is also an opportunity. For example, I like the new Derby better than the old ; DHS 2012 over DHS 2008; and I really like the reformulated Dior homme.

If I've smelled the original (such as D&G PH) and I am able to perceive a significant difference, then I will seek the original. However, if I like the current formulation (DHS 2012) and have never smelled the original, I won't even bother seeking it out for a sniff. Why cause myself the trouble of a wild goose chase if I'm already happy with the current version?

I would prefer the original if given the choice but have no qualms about buying reformulated versions of any scents.

(3594)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Mostly original

If the reformulation was done because of government regulations, then I have an easier time accepting it. I can also appreciate it when a company reformulates a classic fragrance to keep it relevant to the current generation (especially if the new release is a flanker...like Habit Rouge).

However, it bothers me when a company reformulates to simply make money at the expense of consumers. The one that stands out to me is Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme. It's not even the same fragrance anymore! What's worst of all is that the company says it was "perfected" and "fine tuned." I wish they would be honest. It was butchered to save money in a company that is having financial problems. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining!

Basenotes Plus

I really cannot say, because I don't have enough experience under my belt, nor enough exposure to fragrances.

But i CAN say- - Obsession For Men, back in the late eighties, used to swoon the ladies. The new stuff I bought is a scrubber....
    (sigh) the good 'ol days...

Usually the original stuff but when it comes to fahrenheit i like the new one better than the vintige.

Original ,but a few exceptions do exist on reform status ones, that might do it equally as good but not better.
    Last edited by magnus611; 30th January 2014 at 02:39 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I've found that the reformulated version of Amouage Gold smells much nicer than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I would prefer the original if given the choice but have no qualms about buying reformulated versions of any scents.

(3594)
    This is the way I feel... At times I like both... I Love both original and newer versions of M7!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Mostly originals but some- well very few reformulations are equal or better

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Original, of course!
    Drseid, I think this is the right thread to ask: I see that you have listed "Dia Man vintage" as one of your favourite perfumes. How does it compare to the current formulation? I really love the current version, but it would be interesting to know if it's worth to hunt down a vintage bottle. Thanks!
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Incense Extreme

New or Vintage?

I think it's silly to say it's always going to be one or the other. It depends on why the scent was changed, and HOW the scent was changed. Many greats have been crushed by reformulation, and in those cases obviously the new juice isn't as good, but I can think of a few examples where I actually prefer the new rather than the vintage. I have two samples of Caron Pour Un Homme, 1 new and 1 vintage. In that case, I definitely prefer the new.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

I prefer what is AVAILABLE.

Since I have no access to vintage, I try to keep my life simple : do I like what's on the shelves right now ?

1. Yes : I buy it.

2. No : next fragrance !

Remember that when some of us say "vintage" we mostly mean ones that were brought back after many years of discontinuation or of ones that went from high-end dept. stores to the local drug stores, with prices to match. To me, discussions about "reformulated DHI" are very different, because the company made it clear that it was reformulated, so it really should just be called something like Dior Homme Intense 2, and then there wouldn't be an "issue." The older ones, by contrast, seem to have a huge gap in terms of ingredient quality.

I don't think you should be surprised that most people who know fragrances would say original is better. It is very rare that the reformulated is better. What usually happens is the reform is worse - what sometimes happens is the reform is on par or slightly less good than the original.

Sometimes a reformulation is done simply because the house wants to "change things up" instead of making the "same old thing." But that's not nearly as common as it happening due to unavailable ingredients or new IFRA restrictions.

If you already know the original, chances are you won't be happy with the new version. When you experience a fragrance, you "settle in" to it, get to know it, over a long period. It's a kind of bonding. Human beings are inherently drawn to what is familiar. So if the fragrance changes, it's not a good feeling.

In my limited experience thus far, reformulations that don't change the notes composition much tend to reduce the percentage of oils (more alcohol or "filler" by volume). And while the person who is new to the fragrance won't notice it, those who are familiar certainly will. Davidoff Zino is a fine example of this. Still smells a lot like the original, but one of the notes is toned down and overall it's slightly weaker. It's still OK, but if given the chance to get the vintage, I'll gladly pay an extra $10 on a 125ml bottle to get it.

I feel like I'm able to be objective about what my nose likes as opposed to saying I dislike something simply because it's different, maybe markedly so, from what it used to be like and what i used to appreciate. Having said that I can say with certainty that Le Male and D and G Pour Homme have to me declined in quality by a huge degree with me personally finding the reformulation of a D and G harder to bear. That stuff was surreally beautiful in its vintage form, a real quality fragrance that reeked of class and sophistication and now it has this bizarre tobacco smelling note that dominates and I've gone from absolutely loving it (as did everyone around me) to really disliking it so it's basically a new fragrance in the same bottle. A case for false advertising? Perhaps not but really I feel that a reformulated fragrance has no right to call itself what it used to be, it is not that anymore. If Nintendo developed a game and then decided to change it and re release it, would it still be called 'Super Mario 64' or would there be some sort of acknowledgement of how it's ultimately a different thing? A thing isn't fixed as THAT thing and so they are disrespecting the original and far superior fragrances when they afford the new ones the privilege of being the apparent same thing.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Fragrances don't get reformulated for the better. Companies are usually forced to due to regulations, or the desire for profit.
    Unfortunately, this is so true, in my experience. I've never come into contact with a reform that was actually better than the original. In a decent number of cases, the reform avoids ruining the original, but it's not really ever the same.

I've even some a couple (looking at you, VC&A Tsar), where a subsequent reform actually improved upon a previous reform that ruined the original.

Reformulation seems like a weird business. I agree with the above, that it seems like it's driven by the need to increase margins in one way or another. Fair enough, just a shame sometimes when a very good original formulation becomes no more.

If they want us to pay what you'd pay for a decent bottle of wine (from what I understand), then they should at least tell us what the date of the batch is! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    If I have smelled and learned to love a Fragrance, I get mightily hacked off when it is changed. Recently I have discovered that L'Air de Rien, and Knize 10 (two fragrances I loved) have been reformulated. I doubt if I will buy either again.
    Eek! Care to elaborate, David? I'm particularly surprised to hear that about Knize Ten. Should we pounce now or is it already too late?

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    Drseid, I think this is the right thread to ask: I see that you have listed "Dia Man vintage" as one of your favourite perfumes. How does it compare to the current formulation? I really love the current version, but it would be interesting to know if it's worth to hunt down a vintage bottle. Thanks!
    The current version (or at least the one I sniffed a couple years back) is quite similar to the original stuff I own. If a vintage bottle came around for similar money I would recommend snatching it up, but the current release is only *slightly* different and is absolutely superb in its own right. Not worth the time hunting down the original Dia Man if you already own the current version unless you are a collector and prefer the original bottle style, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Reformulated. I prefer the peace of mind that comes from knowing that that IFRA and the perfume industry are making scents safer for me

I actually like some reformulation better than their originals.
    Tubereuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens in the export bottle smells better than the one in the bell-jar, it is creamier, less harsh and much more easy to wear and enjoy.
    Do Son by Diptyque smells much more natural when an ingredient that supposed to smell like white flower is removed from the scent since it is banned by IFRA.

I usually prefer the original versions. The exception is M7. I prefer M7 Oud Absolu.

It depends on the fragrance.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    I usually prefer the original versions. The exception is M7. I prefer M7 Oud Absolu.
    Glad to see you remembered your password!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see people prefer the M7 Oud Absolu.

Im so glad I made this thread. So much conversing! Very interesting to read about everyones varying opinions about this subject.

Original. With all the allergens included please.
    Some people are allergic to tree's, but we dont burn them down. Some people are allergic to peanuts, but we still make peanut butter.
    And of course some people are allergic to perfume ingredients, well I say suffer. Nothing is better then the sweet noxious compounds of the originals. I say suffer, and suffer well.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Michael ♌

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Eek! Care to elaborate, David? I'm particularly surprised to hear that about Knize Ten. Should we pounce now or is it already too late?
    I compared a sample of L'Air de Rien dipped in John Lewis in London, with my old sample at home as I had a feeling that it would have been reformulated, even though the sale's assistant was convinced it hadn't been. My old sample is about 10 years old. They are not the same. After a few hours on smelling strips the original sample and the new sample start to diverge. The Moss and Nitromusk mix in the original is missing from the newer version, and what is left is a softer, sweeter (probably Macrocyclic) musk. It is not a bad reformulation, but a reformulation all the same, and the fragrance is poorer for it.

With Knize 10, I bought a new bottle from Les Senteurs in London, to replace my nearly finished bottle. I ordered it on line so did not have a chance to smell before I bought. The two samples are very different. The newer version is weaker, lacks the rubber top note and is lacking in Moss in the dry down. Still a pleasant enough fragrance, but I don't want "pleasant" with Knize 10. Doesn't last as long either.

I think it is already too late.

depends on the fragrance.
    I like original version of Joop pour homme. But also reformulated version of encre noire smells better too.

^ That's the second time I've read someone saying that Encre Noire was reformulated with preferable results. What changed for the better?

Original ..

Own the reformulated versions of DHI, Le Male, and Joop! Homme...could not be happier. Way too much hype has been put into Vintage formulas.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Navyy8 View Post
    Own the reformulated versions of DHI, Le Male, and Joop! Homme...could not be happier. Way too much hype has been put into Vintage formulas.
    Well, I hardly ever get a message from someone saying they will swap me their vintage for my reformulated, even if I give them 2 or 3 for 1 deals, so I say to all those who say such things, "put your bottles where your mouth is." LOL.

[QUOTE=Bigsly;3060881]Well, I hardly ever get a message from someone saying they will swap me their vintage for my reformulated, even if I give them 2 or 3 for 1 deals, so I say to all those who say such things, "put your bottles where your mouth is."

Again, good deal via hype...seems IFRA "bashing" has become sport on BN, and has been a commendable ploy to raise value on vintage.

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest--Benjamin Franklin
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Well, I have the current and previous formulations of Davidoff Zino and... I'd take the earlier version in a heartbeat. While they are very close, the original has more punch, more fullness of aroma. And definitely lasts longer. I conducted my own spray tests to confirm this.

So did IFRA restrictions force a change on this particular fragrance? I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post

Since I have no access to vintage, I try to keep my life simple : do I like what's on the shelves right now ?

I agree - I just find myself not having the discipline to stick to this lol.

I am not a fan of Ifras rules. Its an attempt at Global communism. If people are allergic to a fragrance thats their problem.
    Some people are allergic to trees, peanuts, penicillin, But we dont ban those. Or wait, maybe we should, that is, Lets cut down every tree, ban peanuts, and outlaw penicillin. "Im sorry sir but you will just have to die of your Ghonorea."
    Because after all, some people are allergic. And that ladies and gentlemen summarizes what I think of IFRA.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Michael ♌

This is like asking: do you prefer being dead or alive? Although a tiny minority of people may prefer to be dead, the vast majority of us would prefer to go on living

Quote Originally Posted by Navyy8 View Post
    Again, good deal via hype...seems IFRA "bashing" has become sport on BN, and has been a commendable ploy to raise value on vintage.

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest--Benjamin Franklin
    Would you be kind enough to explain this statement? I have no idea what point you are making. In any case, it does appear that you would not accept any argument made for vintage, and so you more or less render your opinion irrelevant (since you will simply call anything you don't want to hear "hype"). And note that I am not an "IFRA basher" because my opinion is that poor reformulations began long before IFRA guidelines made much of a difference.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 3rd February 2014 at 05:23 AM.

Everything is good in its time.

Back in the old days, they used pure leather,
    slik, wool, etc for everyday wear.
    Today, these will be expensive, and synthetics have emerged.
    likewise with perfumes.
    Back then, there were quality perfumes but they were only few.
    Now quality might have gone down but options increased

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post

Totally agree