Code of Conduct

Default Bois des Iles sillage and longevity?

I tried some bois des iles on yesterday (current EDT) and found the initial impression totally lovely... But it seemed to fade off my skin in minutes; was hardly detectable an hour later... Does anyone else have this issue with it? First time I've noticed it so extremely with a scent. Disappointing because first impression was as wonderful as anything I've tried so far! I'm wondering if maybe I should try the parfum instead...

Default Re: Bois des Iles sillage and longevity?

Bois des Iles parfum is a much better performer with regard to longevity.

Do they normally have the parfum versions in a testable / sprayable bottle in the boutiques or do I have to order a sample from somewhere?

Yes, unfortunately this is the case with me too. As Larimar mentioned, the parfum version is superior in terms of longevity, although the projection is sacrificed. Ideally layering of the two is suggested (and over applying for that matter!).

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Do they normally have the parfum versions in a testable / sprayable bottle in the boutiques or do I have to order a sample from somewhere?
    I had to ask the Chanel SA at Selfridges on Oxford Street; he got a bottle out of a drawer and gave me a few dabs of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I had to ask the Chanel SA at Selfridges on Oxford Street; he got a bottle out of a drawer and gave me a few dabs of that.
    That's what I need to do then to properly try it out. The EdT was just a soapy concoction on my skin that wore off after a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Bois des Iles parfum is a much better performer with regard to longevity.
    Thanks! Do you notice how it does in terms of sillage/ projection? I will get a sample anyway and try...

Oh sorry have just seen other answers!! Thanks all!

My opinion is that sillage is very good compared to Cuir de Russie and extraits in general.

Sillage and projection on my skin are very good even on the non-parfum version.

(3592)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

(3592)
    Ditto. I spray it up into my shirt from underneath, which is my universal technique, so it gets skin and fabric contact. Bois d'Iles EdT has very good projection and longevity for me.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

(3592)
    Same here.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I've had good projection and longevity with BdI EDT.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

lt lasts around eight hours on me, but l agree the projection is very low.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Well it looks like I'll be trying out the EdT again tomorrow as well as trying to give the parfum a go.

I used to have a 75ml bottle of EDT - great longevity & sillage but... you have to spray it liberally, like 6-8 sprays at least, better 10-12
    Last edited by mgrigoriev; 31st January 2014 at 10:33 AM.

ah! maybe that's the key... liberal application. i'll give it another go with that in mind!! Thanks!

Interesting - think I only did one or two with the EdT that I tried in a store. Going to try this tomorrow if I go into town and will report back my findings!

Typically I go w/ 4 sprays and have no problems with the scent lasting all day. However, it's not as loud as say...Sycomore. Sillage is rather low unless you go 5+ sprays.

Realise I am bumping an old thread, but as I promised to reply with my findings, think this is justified.

I managed to get to Harrods and the Chanel boutique on the ground floor that sells all the exclusives. Asked to smell the Bois de Iles in the extrait and got a look in return that went along the lines of "WTF???". Tried to explain there are two strengths of this perfume and ended up being told it comes in 75ml and 200ml. Great I thought, I know more than the SA.

I walked off not long after and eventually went to the Chanel counter in the beauty section. They had several extrait perfumes displayed there from the mainstream (women's) range. The lady was much more helpful, got out a guide for the exclusives (which she didn't sell at that counter) and showed me three prices for this scent - a 75ml, 200ml and an extrait in 15ml for £142.

Of course, I couldn't try it at that counter and had no more time to waste. Guess I'll go to Selfridges next time or maybe try to ask at the airport as I'm passing through.

Finally got to try the Extrait of BdI and by jove is it good! So delicate and smooth, powdery and creamy. Bit feminine I might say but one heck of a good sandalwood note.

EDT - two hours longevity even with 10 sprays.

Parfum - five hours, 3 or 4 dabs. YMMV
    I smell marshmallows!

The EDT lasts a few hours just fine. The Extrait is great, a little darker. Use 'em together . . .

The unavailability of true sandalwood evidently weights on the EDT. Mr reasonable's suggestion then goes back to the way old eau de were marketed. put the perfume on, then splash the eau with abandon as needed through the day.

cacio