Code of Conduct

Default Which Montale scent?

So it's been a while since I've been interested in this brand. Given that it's not available here in the UK, I'm going to try and sample as many as possible from this line, with a view to buying a full bottle or two.

I've tried and owned a large decant of Patchouli Leaves which was nice, albeit a bit too intense. I also had Full Incense, Red Vetyver and Black Aoud, all of which I wasn't too fond of.

Based on my current wardrobe, what would you recommend for me and why? I'm not particularly in to oud scents or anything ultra sweet. I like the sound of these, but unsure if they will be to my liking. I really hate blind buying and will avoid that if possible:

Montale Attar (sandalwood & roses)
    Montale Santal Wood
    Montale Chypré Fruité
    Montale Chypré Vanillé
    Montale Boisé Fruité
    Montale Boisé Vanillé
    Montale Sandalsilver
    Montale Soleil de Capri

Also, will I like any of the rose scents?

Montale Roses Musk
    Montale Rose Elixir
    Monale Crystal Flowers
    Monale Deep Rose

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by rum; 31st January 2014 at 04:29 PM.

Default Re: Which Montale scent?

I would suggest Soleil de Capri and Santal Wood. Both are non oud and not necessarily sweet. Attar has oud in it even though it's not in the name.

(3637)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I would suggest Soleil de Capri and Santal Wood. Both are non oud and not necessarily sweet. Attar has oud in it even though it's not in the name.
    Thanks, hednic. Is the oud in Attar prominent or hidden in the background? Rose and Sandalwood sound very appealing otherwise.

I like Red Vetyver. If you like Terre D' Hermes, more than likely you will like this one.

Sorry, I should have said. I tried Red Vetyver too and really despised it. I had a headache from it and didn't find it all that good either.

From your taste in masculines, and I know it is not on your list, but I would recommend Red Vetyver.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Not on your list : Aoud Samarkand (Citrus, musk and geranium).

It just hit ebay and the seller ships internationally
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Banned
    Blog Entries

Dark Purple - a great plum scent
    Better than Tom Ford's Plum J

I would give Aromatic Lime a try.
    There is no oud. It's not too sweet. It's one of the more easy to wear Montales.
    It starts out strong, but settles down nicely. Close to the skin, but very long lasting.

This is for the vintage. I'm not sure if it's been changed due to the recent reformulations.
    Last edited by ajmc; 31st January 2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typo
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Thanks, hednic. Is the oud in Attar prominent or hidden in the background? Rose and Sandalwood sound very appealing otherwise.
    I would say it's prominent. I love this one but it's in your face type of scent. Very potent.

(3640)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26129087.html

The best rose scent is, IMO Aoud Queen Roses.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

I second that!

Oh, and I get no oud in Attar; the old controversial subject.....

Just curious, have you ever tried Highness Rose Parfum by Montale? A rose soliflor.

(3648)

Blog Entries

Just curious, have you ever tried Highness Rose Parfum by Montale? A rose soliflor.

(3648)
    No, I missed that one, is it better?

No, I missed that one, is it better?
    Having both, much better IMO.

(3658)

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Not on your list : Aoud Samarkand (Citrus, musk and geranium).

It just hit ebay and the seller ships internationally
    Gone as soon as they were added. Went like hotcakes!

(3664)

Blog Entries

(3648)
    I'll have to try it one of these days.

Do you like Silver Mountain Water by Creed? If so, then you should like Boise Fruite.

It's basically another SMW clone, but an excellent one. I think it's smoother than SMW.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Anybody have positive feedback on montale intense café? Im a big fan of coffee scented anything. Its pretty pricey and I cant come across a decant. I hope it smells better than Thierry muglers pure coffee. Like pure coffee but doesn't really give off a robust coffee vibe to be called pure coffee. Terrible projection and longevity with me. Ordered a few spray vials a while back. I would add it to my collection though.

Check out Greyland. I bet you'll like it!

Gone as soon as they were added. Went like hotcakes!

(3664)
    I know I saw that. I actually thought you're the one who snatched it

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    I know I saw that. I actually thought you're the one who snatched it
    I did get one!

(3679)

I would say it's prominent. I love this one but it's in your face type of scent. Very potent.

(3640)
    If the sandal and rose are quite prominent I don't mind if it's a bit strong.

If the sandal and rose are quite prominent I don't mind if it's a bit strong.
    Do you have the ability anywhere in your proximity to sample it? This is one I would not recommend buying blind even though I personally love it. The longevity is uncanny. It seems to stick around forever on my skin.

(3691)

I'll just ask this question here since it bears on the conversation a bit. Whats the difference between Aoud Forest and Aoud Pine? In your opinion, which is better?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Do you have the ability anywhere in your proximity to sample it? This is one I would not recommend buying blind even though I personally love it. The longevity is uncanny. It seems to stick around forever on my skin.
    Not a chance. There is nowhere in the Uk that does montale samples. Very disappointed at this but what can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Check out Greyland. I bet you'll like it!
    What are the notes in this one JH?

SdC looks good from the description. As does Santal Wood.

If I remember correctly, greyland has that campfire tone to it. I wouldn't call it GPH1, but you get the idea. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I'll just ask this question here since it bears on the conversation a bit. Whats the difference between Aoud Forest and Aoud Pine? In your opinion, which is better?
    Aoud Forest dries down to a nice but a less complex mixture of ambergris and musk with obviously no pine. There is also a clear citrusy opening in the Aoud Forest that is lacking in the Aoud & Pine. I personally prefer the Aoud & Pine but like both. They don't smell the same to my nose. The oud seems to be more pronounced in the Aoud Forest, at least to me.

(3693)

Is Sandal Silver a good one to be looking at too?

Is Sandal Silver a good one to be looking at too?
    It's pretty inoffensive for a Montale. I don't think you're going to get that rose-sandalwood combo you're looking for, but the sandalwood is nice in this one if somewhat subtle.

(3694)

Aoud Forest dries down to a nice but a less complex mixture of ambergris and musk with obviously no pine. There is also a clear citrusy opening in the Aoud Forest that is lacking in the Aoud & Pine. I personally prefer the Aoud & Pine but like both. They don't smell the same to my nose. The oud seems to be more pronounced in the Aoud Forest, at least to me.

(3693)
    Thanks so much Sir Hednic; I figured you'd be the one to answer my question! Both sound great!

From your list:
    Montale Soleil de Capri

Not on your list:
    Another vote for Greyland. Cedar, lots (to my nose) of guiac wood, vetiver, a subdued pepper, sandalwood, leather, and rose.

I realise this thread is old, but as I started it, thought I'd let you know that I am probably going to go for a small box with three small size ("hand bag" size) scents. So far, I've narrowed it down to Attar and Intense Cafe. I'm currently debating which one the third should be.

I've already tried Patchouli Leaves, Red Vetyver, Full Incense and Black Aoud. Didn't like any except maybe PL which had exceptional strength.

Perhaps Fruits of the Musk or Musk to Musk would be a nice way to round out the two you have already chosen.

Basenotes Plus

I was thinking of getting the 3 x 20ml box also.

Today I am wearing a sample of Boise Vanille and while I am not too sure about it myself, it has had a couple of favourable comments from co-workers

Perhaps Fruits of the Musk or Musk to Musk would be a nice way to round out the two you have already chosen.
    Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    I was thinking of getting the 3 x 20ml box also.

Today I am wearing a sample of Boise Vanille and while I am not too sure about it myself, it has had a couple of favourable comments from co-workers
    Thanks both. Going to look all of these up and see what I can find out. Think I can rule out White Aoud and Louban as well.

Basenotes Plus

Seeing this thread was enough to push me over and order the 3x20ml box

On order are Blue Amber, Red Aoud and Vanille Absolu

Blog Entries

I just got Soleil de Capri ​which is a great, fresh aquatic/citrus.

yarn, I expect a full report on each of the scents from you when you receive them!
    Have you tried any of these before?

Basenotes Plus

yarn, I expect a full report on each of the scents from you when you receive them!
    Have you tried any of these before?
    Nope, fallen into my old habit of impulse blind buying.

I was intending on getting Red Vetiver, Boise Vanille and White Oud which I have samples of but for some reason I find myself randomly ordering ones that I haven't tried, thanks largely down to reviews on this site!

Happy to try and review but I feel like a boy amongst men when it comes to reviewing fragrances on this site - whilst I have a pretty healthy collection I am only just starting to pick out notes with any real confidence. I will give it a go but no laughing if I get it wrong!

Nope, fallen into my old habit of impulse blind buying.

I was intending on getting Red Vetiver, Boise Vanille and White Oud which I have samples of but for some reason I find myself randomly ordering ones that I haven't tried, thanks largely down to reviews on this site!

Happy to try and review but I feel like a boy amongst men when it comes to reviewing fragrances on this site - whilst I have a pretty healthy collection I am only just starting to pick out notes with any real confidence. I will give it a go but no laughing if I get it wrong!
    Sooner or later you'll realise that most Basenoters have that 'old habit' that you mention

I like your analogy (a boy amongst men), but I don't buy it! I am certainly no writer, but I have learnt to respect others' opinions on scent, read all sorts of differing opinions and view points and with that in mind, I say what I smell and what a scent reminds me of. Be it another scent, or scenery, a feeling, or whatever else it may be, I try to be honest and open.

I think my third one is going to be a battle between Blue Amber and Aoud Roses Petals.

Montale Wood and Spices I can get enough of this I wish last longer but the smell from open to dry down is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Dark Purple - a great plum scent
    Better than Tom Ford's Plum J
    +1 .

I think my third one is going to be a battle between Blue Amber and Aoud Roses Petals.
    Whichever of these two you choose as your third, you will have made a good choice IMO.

Yarn I think you made a great decision. Those 3 are amongs my favourite Montale, and Blue Amber/Red Aoud are in my top10, no doubt about it.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!