Code of Conduct

Cool Newer from Kerosene - "Black Vines"

I know many here don't seem to care for the scents this House turns out, but I thought I'd let you know anyway if you hadn't already heard about it.

Kerosene: "Black Vines"

Notes: Ivy, Fig, Star Anise, Cinnamon, Canadian Fir, Balsam of Peru, Tonka, Incense and Vanilla

Write up @ House of Kerosene:

"There is nothing cold about this scent. It's a warm touch on the shoulder, as you are entangled in green vines of black licorice. The spices and gentle sweetness will warm your surroundings. This is climate change for your skin."

Offered at - House of Kerosene.com & MiN NY.com

Will do a quick review when it gets here!

...And just for the record, I do not like the new bottles! All black, all square and identical, all.... boring!

I wear & own more than one Kerosene frag. When I need to replenish, how many identical {boring...black} bottles do I want to look at.... all lined up like ducks in a row?

hmmmmmm.....

Default Re: Newer from Kerosene - "Black Vines"

Always good to know about new scents hitting the market. Thanks for the info.

(3567)
    Last edited by hednic; 29th January 2014 at 09:44 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Kerosene is a house that I have yet to sample..
    I think I have 2 but never tried..

Thanks for the info.

Ooh, I look forward to your review. This one sounds pretty interesting!
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Cool Just Put "Black Vines" Through It's Paces {Review}

Received Kerosene's newest 'Black Vines' yesterday and spritzed it on right away. I wanted to wear this one at least twice before I commented on it. Just put it through it's paces again today, so here is my reaction and thoughts on the scent. This won't be in 'perfumers language', so bear with me as I just give just my rather simplistic impression!

Like all of Kerosene edp's, it starts out very strong out the gate; so brace yourself. You have been warned!

First whiff: Whew...highly unusual, almost a direct assault on your senses. Sharp.

Upon the second sniff {after gathering my composure}: The initial note is the Ivy. It has a darker vibe, but still very detectable and very green. This is in no way a bright, 'the sun is shining' greenery.

The Ivy scent is captured very well and is quite prominent, followed very closely, a split second later, by the anise (licorice), which is also equally as powerful. The Kerosene description for Black Vines is spot on. The feeling that these top notes evoke is exactly that of being "entangled in green vines of black licorice". The licorice seems to weave in and out of the dark greenery almost like actual vines would on an Ivy plant. Interesting. The top notes linger while remaining quite strong.
    The fig is in there, contributing to it's olfactory strength, but only in a supporting role and is not a prominent, obvious note.

The perfume seamlessly slides into the middle notes, as the initial blast of Ivy & Anise begin to lessen but it are still quite potent. The Canadian Fir (the scent of strong, sticky pine tar that when touched, lingers on your fingers) bridges the top and middle notes and contributes to that lingering potency.

It is at this point, the incense and spices start peeking through. Very pleasant. They give the perfume a slight softness and sweetness that was missing in the top notes, rounding out the Ivy and Anise dance.
    It's not a strong incense blast announcing it's presence and there is no tar or smoke swirling around in the mix at all. The spices and incense make a quiet entrance and suddenly, they are just there. The Ivy and Anise are still very much a part of this scent at this point. They are considerably toned down however still noticeable in the mix.
    I detected the cinnamon note rising with the incense and at this time and the vanilla and Tonka notes also float in, adding a little more sweetness, rounding out the scent, making the scent smoother.

The drydown: This is the most wearable and enjoyable phase. And also is the longest phase. Quite nice, actually. The entire concoction has smoothed out and quieted down. The Anise is still there as is a slight sweetness from the incense, spice, Balsam of Peru, Tonka and vanilla. I would not classify this an incense fragrance, it only carries the sweet nuance of incense and spice. Nor is it an overtly sweet fragrance. The greenery is now gone.
    The licorice (Anise) note remains and weaves throughout, from first spritz to drydown.
    The fragrance is very appropriately named!

Longevity: About 5+ hrs before it slides quickly into a wafting skin scent. Less 'when the Earth first cooled' to 'when hell freezes over' scent endurance than the other Kerosene fragrances all have.

Sillage and Projection: Good. Leaves a trail behind you but does eventually drifts into a wafting skin scent.

This is a most unusual fragrance. It is certainly darker than Kerosene's other offerings and certainly not a linear fragrance. A very odd combining of notes to say the least. (Must... love... anise!) And it is certainly not exceeding, overflowing love for me at first spritz, nor a scent I'd reach for and wear every day. I would strongly advise sampling this one first and not doing a blind buy. That is unless the perfume notes and this simplistic review appeals to you!

I'm obviously going to need to wear this quite a few more times to see if my original assessment was correct. In the meanwhile, I will proceed to share this with a male friend who will also experiment and play with it. It could possibly be better suited to the male species. Chemistry and all that.

The bottle: The new bottle is painted a smooth black. Funny that on the 'House of Kerosene' site he quotes Henry Ford: "Any color as long as it's black". Yup, my only impression of the exterior of the bottle is that of an auto finish. Exactly that.
    The juxtaposition of (the picture of) Marilyn Monroe (House of Kerosene site) in association with 'Black Vines' edp is quite baffling to me! Unless it is suppose to reference the beautiful women/models that ooze sexiness draping over the cars at the Detroit Auto Show's and in new car ad's!

The black square shape and overall look of the new bottle also appears to be geared more to man's taste. I can envision it better in a men's fragrance collection; it seems (is) that minimalistic and stark.

The bottle in my hand is just a little awkward to hold and spritz on, but it is manageable. It would be easier for a guy to hold & spray, since a male would more than likely have larger hands to grasp it with one hand and manage to spray at the same time.

The new shape also takes up more real estate than the prior taller Kerosene bottles. There would definitely be a problem finding the acreage for identical multiple bottles of Kerosene's offerings to find a home among my extensive perfume collection!

So there you have it. A first (and second) impression. Your olfactory experience may vary!

Kerosene - Black Vines edp
    Main notes: Ivy, Fig, Star Anise, Cinnamon, Canadian Fir, Balsam of
    Peru, Tonka, Incense and Vanilla

Default Re: Just Put "Black Vines" Through It's Paces {Review}

Thanks, Meow7 - I've just submitted details for inclusion in the Directory & merged the two threads.
    Last edited by lpp; 31st January 2014 at 09:23 PM.

Very nice review. Thanks!

Very thorough review. Thanks for sharing it.

(3644)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I appreciated your review and description - thanks. I'm wearing Black Vines right now, for the second time. Received a decant two days ago. I could not my finger on what the initial blast note is. I don't like it at all, but it's worth the ten to fifteen minutes or so because I adore the drydown. It's rather jarring to me the difference between the initial greenness and the warm star anise/vanilla that is enveloping me now. Love it!

If anyone would like to review it (please!), it's in the Directory now!
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26141141.html

Basenotes Institution

How much ($) is this stuff?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    How much ($) is this stuff?
    It's $140 through min, but you can use BROS or FRUNKINATOR as a coupon code to take it down to $119...great price for a 100ml.

Excellent review Meow7. Somehow this fragrance slipped past me. Going to order a sample tonight. I am a fan of Kerosene and certainly look forward to trying this one now.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Basenotes Institution

I'm intrigued by this. I recently became a black-licorice-fan-club-member after falling in love with Slumberhouse's Vikt this week.

Anyone wish to compare Vikt and Black Vines?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm intrigued by this. I recently became a black-licorice-fan-club-member after falling in love with Slumberhouse's Vikt this week.

Anyone wish to compare Vikt and Black Vines?
    I know this thread isn't new, but I will be HAPPY to compare the 2, just got samples of both in the mail. So far, wearing only Black Vines, and, for the record, I LOVE that initial opening blast. Update: there is no way my short, simple little review will match that from Meow7, just giving my opinion. I'm not convinced there is even any licorice in Vikt, but if there is, it's a *dirty* licorice, compared to the refreshing, medicinal licorice in Black Vines. For some reason, possibly the name "Ore" has gotten stuck in my mind, all of Slumberhouse frags smells like rocks to me, and not in a good way. Vikt is harsh and dirty, and smells cheap to my nose. (Ironically, Vikt probably has better-quality ingredients than some of my favorites.) I wish the opening of Black Vines lasted longer. Black Vines is very similar to Eax des Baux, in my opinion, both drydowns are very similar. But, of course, EDB doesn't have that awesome licorice opening, which is the best licorice opening I have found so far. I would choose Black Vines ANY DAY over any Slumberhouse frag.
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 22nd June 2014 at 10:33 PM.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like