Code of Conduct

Default Smelling more and better: a simple trick.

We are used to smelling paper strips for convenience, reliability, and practical purposes.
    Unfortunately, paper is NOT the best material to smell. There is something better. It's the heavy, complex, "winter-season" fabric.
    Why? for a simple reason: complexity in structure. It's not "flat", but almost three-dimensional.
    Fabric is not flat as paper is, but it's thick and with complicate structure. When you spray perfumes all over fabric, a bigger amount of perfume will be trapped. Perfume molecules will adhere on every point of the fabric 3D surface.

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...ng-better.html

Default Re: Smelling more and better: a simple trick.

Good observation. Thanks for the info.

Yep being there and done it and love doing it when wearing a fave L'ouevre! Thx seńor Moreau for sharing...kudos to you and your work The only thing is that you better wear the article of clothing for a bit because smell will radiate for a while, so the only reason I hesitate to do this all the time because then it will hinder me from using any other frag for a while : for instance if f spraying a coat or flannel jacket (daily outerwear only, unless you might have an array of apparel then you can fore go stated suggestion) per se, will necessitate my full commitment to a specific frag so that's why I by go this most of the time unless I'm prepare to a commitmentRelationship to one specific juice.
    Last edited by magnus611; 31st January 2014 at 07:04 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thx

Thanks Andre for tip.

(3660)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I do not understand - the object is to smell fragrance molecules.
    Surely the same molecules come off paper as it does this fabric?

At the end of the day, one's skin is better still, as you smell the fragrance molecules that survive interaction with skin molecules (though one may miss out on the scent in its pure form).
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for the info.... good idea.

I am a big advocate on spraying on clothes because of the fabric. If there was a choice between skin or clothes I would definitely choose clothes. Personally I like to spray all over my hair, skin and clothes. Simply spraying on skin is a big mistake in my mind because it won't last nearly as long and won't project as much if you sprayed on fabric. People complain about Burberry London having bad longevity and sillage but I ask, have you sprayed on your clothes?

There are many YouTube videos contradicting this. They advocate to spray on skin specially on the neck for longevity. They say that scent evaporate quickly from clothes. Further elaboration is needed on this point. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by apple2005 View Post
    There are many YouTube videos contradicting this. They advocate to spray on skin specially on the neck for longevity. They say that scent evaporate quickly from clothes. Further elaboration is needed on this point. Thanks.
    Well, I say it's b.s. because I can still smell fragrances on my clothes the next day quite strongly. You can't tell me that a fragrance would last on your neck for several hours let alone until the next day. Why don't people try this out and see for themselves? Spraying on clothes and hair is great and much more preferable for longevity and sillage than on the skin for many fragrances that I've tried. Spraying all over is preferable and none of this one spray on the neck and once on each wrist b.s.
    Last edited by Ronin; 1st February 2014 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks for the advice. Will possibly try this during my next testings.

That's not my research. I quoted YouTube videos... Personally I think that thin clothes will not work well either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Well, I say it's b.s. because I can still smell fragrances on my clothes the next day quite strongly. You can't tell me that a fragrance would last on your neck for several hours let alone until the next day. Why don't people try this out and see for themselves? Spraying on clothes and hair is great and much more preferable for longevity and sillage than on the skin for many fragrances that I've tried. Spraying all over is preferable and none of this one spray on the neck and once on each wrist b.s.
    Agreed. In my experience longevity is increased greatly when sprayed on clothing.

Thanks for the info

Please note I'm considering analytical purposes. I use square of heavy fabric to test perfumes, to discover all notes, even the faintest ones. This article is only to suggest an alternative way to "improve" smelling in tests.
    Apart this, I'd be curious to know how perfume on clothes could evaporate faster than on skin.... since skin temperature is sensibly higher than the clothes one. (human body temperature VS. room temperature).

Quote Originally Posted by apple2005 View Post

If i have a really complex fragrance and I spray it on clothes, to me it ends up lasting a little longer but it also seems more linear due to it not being able to evaporate like normal. A spray on my skin however will reveal each layer gradually.

Thanks for the info!