Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Help with cestrum accord

Since I have no access to the full paper, I guess we'll never know. It could be that they meant phenolic compounds, or there was something weird with the extraction.. I'm trusting this specific analysis less and less. I'll look at the other ones when I get home..
    (Isn't it weird that there's so much benzaldehyde in this absolute as well?)

It could be a very old sample, or a sample that was treated badly (left to oxidise, heated etc.) A lot of Benzaldehyde and a lot of Phenylacetaldehyde; both could be oxidation products (from Benzyl Alcohol and Phenyl Ethyl Alcohol). Or, it could be that the analysis as a whole is faulty.

David, I was wondering if maybe phenolic compounds that were present would decompose to phenol, along with whatever else would result by way of the decomposition process. Is that possible?

That's what he just said..

Quote Originally Posted by islearom View Post
    David, I was wondering if maybe phenolic compounds that were present would decompose to phenol, along with whatever else would result by way of the decomposition process. Is that possible?
    I very much doubt it, and no Nizan, that is not what I said. Phenol is, I think, pretty stable, and I doubt if anything would decompose to it, and certainly not at the level supposedly found.

What I said was that maybe some other chemicals, present at a very high level (Benzaldehyde and Phenylacetaldehyde) could be there as a result of oxidation of (in order) Benzyl Alcohol and Phenyl Ethyl Alcohol. Nowhere did I suggest that the huge amount of Phenol supposedly there, was there as a result of ay type of decomposition.

That's what I thought you meant. I guess I got confused about what decomposition means.. I thought it was referring to large molecules breaking down, not to organic decomposition..

It wasn't me who used the word "decomposition", I only mentioned oxidation.

I apparently used the incorrect term, but I was referring to the idea of larger molecules breaking down to smaller molecules. It has been quite some time since I took Organic Chemistry classes in college, so I am a bit rusty on much of the technical details....really an understatement on my part to even be saying that.

Regardless, David has now answered my question.

Tremendous bummer. After working with the flowers yesterday, I realize I have a long way to go. There's some freshness/greenness that I can't pinpoint. I tried Hexenol and Cineol.. The latter was a step in the right direction, but I feel like I'm missing some terpenes. The GC's suggest either Caryophellene (or its oxide) and Farnesene, but I don't have neither.. Though Copaiba is supposed to be almost pure Caryophellene, it doesn't smell close. I also have some Chamomile that's supposed to contain 80% Farnesene, but I'm not sure that's what it should smell like alone.
    When testing against alpha Terpinene, it seemed kind close, but more herbal.. Are there any terpenes which are close? Maybe Terpinyl acetate?
    Thank you