Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Macarons - new Nina Ricci La Tentation de Nina

Do you want to smell like a macaron?

Now Smell This reports:

Nina Ricci will launch La Tentation de Nina in January. The new fragrance for women is a flanker to the 2006 version of Nina, and follows prior flankers Nina Pretty, Love by Nina, Le Paradis de Nina, Nina L'Elixir, Nina Fantasy and Nina L'Eau.

La Tentation de Nina was inspired by Ladurée macarons, and was developed by perfumer Olivier Cresp working with chef Lemains Vincent of Ladurée (and yes, Ladurée will be selling a matching macaron). The notes for the fruity floral include bergamot, grapefruit, macaron accord (raspberry, almond, lemon, rose), bourbon vanilla, white musk and sandalwood.

Nina Ricci La Tentation de Nina will be available in 50 ml Eau de Toilette.

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Macarons - new Nina Ricci La Tentation de Nina

There was an article here - it didn't appeal to me then either

queen of the universe

Wow, that first ad was a tour-de-force. I'm usually immune to perfume hype—in fact advertising actually discourages me—but this one has me curious. Maybe I'll have to get a sample and report back.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

Olivier Cresp fan here, so I'll give it a sniff
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I definitely want to smell it - not that I'm expecting it to be fabulous or anything, but I like Olivier Cresp and I like macaroons.

Blog Entries

Waiting for the moon pie A*men flanker for American men!

Seriously, this is very interesting! There was another macaroon-based fragrance about a year ago - very limited release, kind of an internet project.

http://boisdejasmin.com/2012/09/hone...-giveaway.html

I got to smell it, and it was enjoyable - a nice twist on the fruity floral.

Basenotes Institution

I think they're definitely going after the Candy crowd. I actually like Candy in small doses (I owned the Shower Gel and it left you strongly scented so you didn't really need to apply fragrance) but the Prada doesn't really smell like a particular kind of candy, it really just smelled like a well done, innovative woody leather. I am not sure I want to smell like a macaron, but I guess it remains to be seen.

I will say, I ate some Laduree macarons when I was in NY a couple years ago (the shop is right across the street from the Tom Ford boutique on Madison Ave) and they are amazing. The most lightest, intensely flavored, freshest macarons I've ever eaten. And crazy expensive too!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    My belly laugh for the day. Good one, RP!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Thanks for the news, Mike.

If I recall, the La Petite Robe Noire Modele No. 2 had a macaron note.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Well, macarons will smell and taste like whatever they're flavored with so clearly, "macaron" here is just a fancy way of saying "raspberry, almond, lemon and rose" and an attempt to get people to not pigeon-hole this fragrance as just another fluffy fruity floral. Macarons are French and therefore are perceived as more chic, sophisticated and trendy than cupcakes, but this is basically just Nina's version of a cupcake accord.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Seriously, this is very interesting! There was another macaroon-based fragrance about a year ago - very limited release, kind of an internet project.

http://boisdejasmin.com/2012/09/hone...-giveaway.html

I got to smell it, and it was enjoyable - a nice twist on the fruity floral.
    Lol - funny. Although, macaroons would make more sense as a defining note - it would be coconut. Macarons and macaroons are different cookies. Though they're made with the same base ingredients of egg whites and sugar, macarons are sandwich-type cookies, usually made with ground almonds and whatever subtle flavorings the chef wishes, plus a filling. Macaroons are usually - almost always - rolled in coconut and don't have a filling. Either way, it would be a sweet gourmand note.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I had the chance to sniff it today in House of Fraser. I liked the opening, sweet and not too sugary. Unfortunately no it did not smell like a macaroon to me at all. The middle and final dry down was nothing unusual or different than most of the department store fragrances out there, to me.

You want sweet tweets, Angel or Lolita Lempicka is the way to go.

I will say I have never found a Nina Ricci I was ever tempted to buy anyway. So perhaps the house just does not work for me.
    DONNA

Evangeline, Snort! @ ''basically just Nina's version of a cupcake accord''
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I had the chance to sniff it today in House of Fraser. I liked the opening, sweet and not too sugary. Unfortunately no it did not smell like a macaroon to me at all. The middle and final dry down was nothing unusual or different than most of the department store fragrances out there, to me.

You want sweet tweets, Angel or Lolita Lempicka is the way to go.

I will say I have never found a Nina Ricci I was ever tempted to buy anyway. So perhaps the house just does not work for me.
    Thanks for the info., donna255 - I used to enjoy Farouche when it came out but none of the others ever struck me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Do you want to smell like a macaron?
    Not especially...

Blog Entries

These sweet accords must be cheap to make. You can't throw a rock without hitting one. I'm surprised there is room for more on the market. Always the same thing. I wonder if they do well?