Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default London Rain by Jo Malone - 4 scents

Now Smell This reports:

Jo Malone will launch London Rain, a new quartet of perfumes — Rain & Angelica, Wisteria & Violet, White Jasmine & Mint and Black Cedarwood & Juniper — inspired by London's "many types of rain". The fragrances were developed by perfumer Christine Nagel, and will debut in March.

Rain & Angelica ~ inspired by dewy mornings in London parks, with lime, angelica, vetiver, rain accord.

Wisteria & Violet ~ gentle morning drizzle, with water lily, wisteria, violet and patchouli.

White Jasmine & Mint ~ presumably a re-release of the 2007 White Jasmine & Mint fragrance. This one is for an afternoon rainstorm, with mint, jasmine and mate.

Black Cedarwood & Juniper ~ midnight rain, with cumin, chili leaves, juniper and cedar.

Love the bottles - however I'm not holding my breath for the scents. Although - sometimes Nagel really impresses me...so I will most likely sample when I see them.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: London Rain by Jo Malone - 4 scents

Thanks for the info.

Blog Entries

Midnight rain and chili leaves? :-)

I would like to try the W&V.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Wisteria is my birthday flower (it always blooms for my birthday) so that's the one I want to smell, but not holding out much hope since JM's are generally way too light for me.

These don't sound especially appealing to me personally, but they do make nice eye candy.

Agree, JMs are a wee bit light don't have much interest in fbs in many I have tried, however, I do like Nectarine Blossom and Honey, have you tried that one Danieq?
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

The theme of rain applies quite well to the brand's style, their scents have only slightly more persistence than rain.

Marketingwise, they seem to continue pushing all things Britannia (though they are owned by uberamericana Estee Lauder). I suspect the british desserts didn't hit the mark (certainly the chocolate thing was something to remember). London having cleaned up, persumably its rains recall something fresh and dewy rather than Dickensian's smog.

cacio

The last Jo Malone fragrance I bought was White Lilac and Rhubarb I was actually shocked it was so lovely., every other one I sniff boring and even generic!!!!
    DONNA

Hmmm I like White Jasmine and Mint, but it doesn't remind me of afternoon rain at all. Makes me wonder if they are changing the notes of the original for this new collection.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    London having cleaned up, persumably its rains recall something fresh and dewy rather than Dickensian's smog.
    Rather poor timing, actually, with the wettest January on record. Flood disasters up and down the country, the Thames broke its banks and submerged bits of west London, massive transport disruption, and reportedly more to come.

I'll smell them, but I'm not so hopeful since none of the JMs thrill me too much.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    The last Jo Malone fragrance I bought was White Lilac and Rhubarb I was actually shocked it was so lovely., every other one I sniff boring and even generic!!!!
    Agree. I've been decidedly unimpressed by the more recent offerings. Black Vetyver Cafe and Pomegranate Noir (2003 and 2005 respectively) remain the only ones I can really enthuse over. I'll certainly give these a go, but it won't be with much optimism.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by peppermoon View Post
    Hmmm I like White Jasmine and Mint, but it doesn't remind me of afternoon rain at all. Makes me wonder if they are changing the notes of the original for this new collection.
    I think so. I personally did not like the original, the jasmine gave me an instant headache when I applied it.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Good afternoon, all. I'm trying to get in the habit of taking my lunch to work, rather than eating out or in the cafeteria everyday, so I spent yesterday shopping at Costco and cooking up a huge pot of chili, which keeps so well and tastes better *after* it's been refrigerated. Today I'm making jambalaya (with shrimp, chicken, and andouille) in the slow cooker. And then tomorrow night, I'll make some baked ziti. That should be enough for both David and me to take lunches next week.

Yesterday and today are spent sampling as I try to figure out what fragrance(s) to take with me to the spa next month. Breaking away from my wardrobe staples, yesterday I tested Prada Infusion d'Iris EDP (great incensey open but ultimately sweeter than I want), Eau d'Orange Verte from the Hermes Cologne series, and Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine. Orange Sanguine was wonderful and stayed radiantly but gently orange without devolving into Orange Julius territory.

Today I'm testing CdG Jaisalmer, which I love but is probably spicier than I want, CdG Zagorsk, and LAP Dzongkha. The Dzongkha is a lot nicer than I remember (I think that probably has a lot to do with my growing appreciation for iris), so that's on the short-list. As is Zagorsk. That one is truly lovely and just whispers "spa" to me. At iodine's urging, I'm going to sample AbdesSalaam Attar Hindu Kush, along with Broom, which looks fascinating.

Has anyone sniffed Atelier Cologne Vetiver Fatale? I'm basically hoping to try a light vetiver fragrance that plays up the green and minimizes the heavy smoke (although something that plays more like the CdG incense smoke would be just fine).

Have a lovely Sunday afternoon! xxxooo
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 2nd February 2014 at 06:33 PM.

ExtremeK, I think you posted in the wrong thread? Interesting stuff though.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    My favorite Malone as well, by a long shot.

My favorite Jo Malone is Blue Agava and Cacao. The Rain notes are hard to imagine but I'll be sure to give the series a try. I think Jo Malone is an interesting house.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Because green scents appeal to me, anything with angelica catches my attention. I can imagine lime and vetiver performing well with angelica, so I'd like to test R&A. I'd give the wisteria a shot, too.

I'm with Jon on BVC and Pom Noir being notable. The limited edition Fresh Mint is a favorite in warm weather.

I think many BNers have a ho-hum-but-with-respect attitude about JM scents since Jo left the brand. The bottles remain laudable.

ExtremeK's posts are lovely wherever the materialize.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

So Jo left the brand. That's interesting. That might explain the proliferation of uninteresting scents.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Agree, JMs are a wee bit light don't have much interest in fbs in many I have tried, however, I do like Nectarine Blossom and Honey, have you tried that one Danieq?
    I have tried it, it was nice, as I recall, but didn't stir me. The only ones I've really liked enough to buy have been from the Cologne Intense Line and the fact is, I still haven't actually made a purchase. I will buy the Saffron though, pretty sure on that one and possibly the Velvet Rose & Oud.